• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sittingon50
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

The Cost of Winning

(from the SMC Board):

I. Introduction A few days ago, I wrote up a report in which I investigated the idea of return on investment for Division I basketball programs. To do so, I looked at ten years worth of financial r…
    But we don't play nobody.
  • ZagsObserver
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

My take: if you can’t win a championship, come up with a formula that puts you number 1.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
      My take: if you can’t win a championship, come up with a formula that puts you number 1.
      The author needs to get out of mom's basement more often. He's probably related to Randy Bennett.

Comment

• sylean
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2010

lol......lies, damn lies, and then there's statistics.....

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2008

Analyses like this one are too arbitrary. It's a good rationale for an athletic department to not spend money on a program, I suppose.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
            Analyses like this one are too arbitrary. It's a good rationale for an athletic department to not spend money on a program, I suppose.
            His analysis gives far too much weight to winning the title, and/or making the Final Four. I can't believe that UNC spent about the same on their program as the Zags, either. He's making at least $4 million a year when bonuses are added in.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
              Zag for Life
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
              His analysis gives far too much weight to winning the title, and/or making the Final Four. I can't believe that UNC spent about the same on their program as the Zags, either. He's making at least $4 million a year when bonuses are added in.
              And not a whole lot of weight to getting to the tournament, which is often the litmus test of a good season.

Comment

• webspinnre
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

While the point values assigned are arbitrary, what it does show is that Saint Mary's has been pretty efficient as far as their spending producing results better than would be expected based on that spending. No need for us to get upset about that.
                I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• sylean
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2010

all that needs to be said is we're here at the farmers market in Madison,Wisconsin,, and just met 2 Zagfans....they're everywhere.

Comment

• Nevada Don
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
                    While the point values assigned are arbitrary, what it does show is that Saint Mary's has been pretty efficient as far as their spending producing results better than would be expected based on that spending. No need for us to get upset about that.
                    Well said. Nothing here to dis on. No mention of Omar

Comment

• DZ
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
                      Randy Bennett is the 2nd best coach in the conference by a mile, and would be the top one in most other conferences. People forget, that team won about 3 games the year prior to him showing up.

With little in facilities, history, recruiting, all that, he's built a perennial tough team, probably averages a tourney appearance every 3 years or better, and has been the only guy to tie the regular season championship. Won a few conference tourneys along the way.
                      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                      Mark Twain.

Comment

• zagbeliever
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Jan 2013

I don't like to ever see a list that has St. Mary's listed above us. Let them EARN it if they want to but don't shuffle numbers. jmho

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagbeliever View Post
                          I don't like to ever see a list that has St. Mary's listed above us. Let them EARN it if they want to but don't shuffle numbers. jmho
                          The plaque for being first on this list is in the ladies room.

Comment

• GrizZAG
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2009

Fits the old saying perfectly: "You can prove anything with facts" Just pick the facts you want to use to make your point. Total Balderdash!
                            One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• Nevada Don
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                              The plaque for being first on this list is in the ladies room.

You lose any credibility you have or had with stupid comments like that. Unbecoming to this or any thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X