Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Cost of Winning

Default The Cost of Winning

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

My take: if you can’t win a championship, come up with a formula that puts you number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    My take: if you can’t win a championship, come up with a formula that puts you number 1.
    The author needs to get out of mom's basement more often. He's probably related to Randy Bennett.

lol......lies, damn lies, and then there's statistics.....

Analyses like this one are too arbitrary. It's a good rationale for an athletic department to not spend money on a program, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Analyses like this one are too arbitrary. It's a good rationale for an athletic department to not spend money on a program, I suppose.
    His analysis gives far too much weight to winning the title, and/or making the Final Four. I can't believe that UNC spent about the same on their program as the Zags, either. He's making at least $4 million a year when bonuses are added in.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    His analysis gives far too much weight to winning the title, and/or making the Final Four. I can't believe that UNC spent about the same on their program as the Zags, either. He's making at least $4 million a year when bonuses are added in.
    And not a whole lot of weight to getting to the tournament, which is often the litmus test of a good season.

While the point values assigned are arbitrary, what it does show is that Saint Mary's has been pretty efficient as far as their spending producing results better than would be expected based on that spending. No need for us to get upset about that.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

all that needs to be said is we're here at the farmers market in Madison,Wisconsin,, and just met 2 Zagfans....they're everywhere.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    While the point values assigned are arbitrary, what it does show is that Saint Mary's has been pretty efficient as far as their spending producing results better than would be expected based on that spending. No need for us to get upset about that.
    Well said. Nothing here to dis on. No mention of Omar

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Randy Bennett is the 2nd best coach in the conference by a mile, and would be the top one in most other conferences. People forget, that team won about 3 games the year prior to him showing up.

With little in facilities, history, recruiting, all that, he's built a perennial tough team, probably averages a tourney appearance every 3 years or better, and has been the only guy to tie the regular season championship. Won a few conference tourneys along the way.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I don't like to ever see a list that has St. Mary's listed above us. Let them EARN it if they want to but don't shuffle numbers. jmho

Quote Originally Posted by zagbeliever View Post
    I don't like to ever see a list that has St. Mary's listed above us. Let them EARN it if they want to but don't shuffle numbers. jmho
    The plaque for being first on this list is in the ladies room.

Fits the old saying perfectly: "You can prove anything with facts" Just pick the facts you want to use to make your point. Total Balderdash!
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

The plaque for being first on this list is in the ladies room.

You lose any credibility you have or had with stupid comments like that. Unbecoming to this or any thread.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Fits the old saying perfectly: "You can prove anything with facts" Just pick the facts you want to use to make your point. Total Balderdash!
    Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion, man.

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post
    You lose any credibility you have or had with stupid comments like that. Unbecoming to this or any thread.
    My sincere apologies, Don. It's obvious my oblique reference to a line from Top Gun missed its mark.

My sincere apologies, Don. It's obvious my oblique reference to a line from Top Gun missed its mark.
    Nah. You’re okay Tex.

I got a chuckle about the disclaimer that anyone using this research must credit the Original creator. Right. Like this is actually something real or noteworthy.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Thanks. Didn't sound like you. Just caught me at a bad moment.
    I'll be your wing man anytime.

I better be your wingman. I'm due for cataract surgery next year, according to my ophthalmologist. lol

Not a bad data set to work with.

First of all, the Gaels are being compared to all of college basketball, not just Gonzaga.

From that perspective, I would say it is an interesting result.

I like to use the "if you were to swap places" vantage. How would some coaches fare if they were transplanted to the WCC? Obviously, some rose up the ranks by beginning their careers, and winning, at that level.

There are some coaches that would probably win anywhere. I think Bennett and Few are on that list. The most recent addition may be Chris Beard (Watch some video of his practice sessions. Very impressive). You may dislike Bruce Pearl, but he wins wherever he goes. Calipari left the rise and fall of UMass and Memphis in his wake. They were good when he was there, and fell off a cliff when he left.

The main point I am trying to get home is that this is less to do about money spent and more to do with the person in charge of the program. Money may help perpetuate, bring a little more consistency, or raise the program another tier, but it is the guy in charge that makes it work. Some people are just more efficient and skilled than others.

Having said all of that, there is a legitimate question of how much Bennett challenges his team in out of conference play. How that scheduling has historically influenced the selection committee. How would that winning percentage used in the fore mentioned analysis hold up if Bennett's scheduling was in line with the post season bar set by the selection committee? This is an old argument of course, and I will give Bennett credit for improving his scheduling lately. Obviously, he has heard the criticisms, primarily those criticisms from the selection committee. It would be interesting to track the given data set in the future with the tougher scheduling. It will likely validate or invalidate the results of this budgeting analyisis, but to what degree, no one knows. I just believe that this has much more to do with Bennett as a coach and administrator then how the Gaels budget their basketball program. I will also add that the Australian pipeline was a godsend, especially early on, and it's value converted to dollars as a quantative measure may have been the best "bang for the buck" in college basketball. I will even narrow this down to Daniel Kickert. I think that this player, specifically, was the player that initially defined their winning culture. Made St Marys a worth destination for Australians.
    Last edited by MickMick; 08-18-2019 at 12:32 PM.
    I miss Mike Hart

How would some coaches fare if they were transplanted to the WCC?
    We have one example now: Herb Sendek at Santa Clara. It's early in his tenure, and results are mixed. Perhaps his hiring encouraged some wealthy donors to open their wallets.

You guys “take my breath away.”

I am bad at excel spreadsheets so I don't pretend to understand the spread sheet, but it seems like you would need to subtract gross revenue from the gross expenses to get the net expenses number and then you would have a more valid comparison. But I may be off base.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    You guys “take my breath away.”
    for a minute, i was worried they'd lost that lovin' feelin'.