Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Recruits That You Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Roger Powell was in yesterday and I got an update about this visit after. Could be a name to start watching.

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/s...25876094914562
    Played on the Canada U19 team this summer with his brother who will be a freshman at Santa Clara this year. I see he turns 18 in March, wonder if he could reclassify to 2020. Would like to start landing some Canadians again.

Caldwell, Re Bediako, being a Canadian I've been following him for a while, he is already better than his older brother, but I'm just not sure he is on the same level as others we are now attracting. Perhaps we are being spoilt looking at the likes of Holmgren and Kessler.

In saying all of that Petrusev played against him (as a 17 year old) this summer so the staff would have had a good chance to see him against a current player.

Here is the game, he's # 13 and gives Filip a chin rub early on (they get tangled up a few times actually).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEJ5...1qx5IE&index=6
    Last edited by OZZY; 09-10-2019 at 06:03 PM. Reason: add video link to FIBA world U19s

What does it mean when they say “Coach Smith will be in today for player Smith?”

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    What does it mean when they say “Coach Smith will be in today for player Smith?”
    Right now is an open recruiting period. So the above essentially means that Coach A is coming to watch Player A at his school. Usually when they say “will be in” that means the coach is in town to come watch a player workout. It could possibly mean the coach has an actual visit at the players home but that is usually phrased as “Coach A has an in home visit tonight.”

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    Right now is an open recruiting period. So the above essentially means that Coach A is coming to watch Player A at his school. Usually when they say “will be in” that means the coach is in town to come watch a player workout. It could possibly mean the coach has an actual visit at the players home but that is usually phrased as “Coach A has an in home visit tonight.”
    Thx.

We are definitely not giving up here, but this will happen later today.

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/s...69871505358849

We are definitely not giving up here, but this will happen later today.

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/s...69871505358849
    Supposed to be a Duke commit. The 2nd likely Blue Devil we have spent a ton of time/resources on recently.

What's going on?

I realized we have "arrived" yet going head to head on the Kentucky Duke UNC recruits is a gamble, and typically not worth it.

Is this all for not with these Top 10 recruits? Never have we ever, and most times it's been for show, leverage, or simply wasting time.

Seems these new kids on the block are all 'fans' of 'those Zags', yet with no true intention of fully committing, especially not early.

I love going for, and landing a few Top 50 recruits who want to be Zags, are great fits, and sprinkled in with some high level international guys, and a couple regional talents worth developing, yet not sure we have the 'under the table's resources and/or values it takes to secure commitments from the Top-10 types.

Under the table, behind the scenes, false promises, and $$$ will always be a part of this. Even if not the University directly, it's the agents, boosters, 'advisors", AAU coaches, et al.

I dunno. Not to mention nearly all intend to be one and done, some dont attend class after xmas, and lot more baggage in general.

I'm sure we are doing are due diligence in finding the right fit for GU, yet I dont feel this as realistic for Gonzaga.

Even programs in the Top 15 arent wasting time recruiting these factory school kids.

Times have changed for Gonzaga, and I do think these high profile kids like Gonzaga as a basketball team, yet not certain the intentions are fully vested.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Supposed to be a Duke commit. The 2nd likely Blue Devil we have spent a ton of time/resources on recently.

What's going on?

I realized we have "arrived" yet going head to head on the Kentucky Duke UNC recruits is a gamble, and typically not worth it.

Is this all for not with these Top 10 recruits? Never have we ever, and most times it's been for show, leverage, or simply wasting time.

Seems these new kids on the block are all 'fans' of 'those Zags', yet with no true intention of fully committing, especially not early.

I love going for, and landing a few Top 50 recruits who want to be Zags, are great fits, and sprinkled in with some high level international guys, and a couple regional talents worth developing, yet not sure we have the 'under the table's resources and/or values it takes to secure commitments from the Top-10 types.

Under the table, behind the scenes, false promises, and $$$ will always be a part of this. Even if not the University directly, it's the agents, boosters, 'advisors", AAU coaches, et al.

I dunno. Not to mention nearly all intend to be one and done, some dont attend class after xmas, and lot more baggage in general.

I'm sure we are doing are due diligence in finding the right fit for GU, yet I dont feel this as realistic for Gonzaga.

Even programs in the Top 15 arent wasting time recruiting these factory school kids.

Times have changed for Gonzaga, and I do think these high profile kids like Gonzaga as a basketball team, yet not certain the intentions are fully vested.
    I think if you look at the guys we are putting our resources into they are not for sure one and dones. I know everyone thinks Suggs is one and done, but there has been zero indication from him that it is one and done. Kessler is not a one and done, education is a huge priority for him. If you don't believe Few and Co are finding right fits for the program, then it's clear you really don't know Few and Co. Our idea of a good old fashion recruiting class changed. 2019 elevated our recruiting and we will still get some international guys, but we will be in on the Top 20 guys now and we will win some of these battles. Matter fact Kessler left Duke without committing, which was a serious option for him, and that means he is willing to hear GU's pitch. Kessler knows he fits the mold of a GU big, it's just a matter of distance. And going toe to toe with Duke is going to happen, I think for the most part you won't see us going toe to toe with the likes of Kentucky (factory) or Kansas (adidas money). We are turning out Pro's left and right, recruits see that and know if they come to GU they will improve and have a shot at the NBA. If you don't believe all of this, I personally believe you are selling GU short of what we are, a new Blue Blood of college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post

What's going on?

Have we ever seriously gone after a consensus top 10 recruit prior to Suggs? This is truly uncharted territory and I'm excited to see the outcome.

Looking forward to hearing how the Christie meeting goes today if you get any intel.

Staff is visiting Devin Askew according to TSF.

https://twitter.com/InsideTheKennel/...540342276?s=09

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Staff is visiting Devin Askew according to TSF.

https://twitter.com/InsideTheKennel/...540342276?s=09

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Has offers from Kansas, Kentucky, & Louisville, among others, yet sounds like he's highest on Louisville & Kentucky.

Ranked 5*, #12 prospect overall in '21.

Shoot for the stars, quite literally I suppose.

Makes me happy the staff is confident enough to be in the mix for these top players.

You miss 100% of the shots that you do not take.

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    To Jazz and to those who read his posts and have their heads explode: PLEASE STOP!

The Whelping Box is the best feature of this Board by far. It is too good to watch you guys continue to deface it.

I get the fact that nobody can help themselve -- Jazz wakes up early one morning, grabs his keyboard, and "tags" the board with short, unsourced, provocative statements that flow out of his psyche. Those posts are most often negative, confrontational, and snarky. His targets are almost always our recruits or those Board members he sees as being too optimistic about our recruiting efforts (with particular focus upon Caldwell, whose sins appear to be he is upbeat and his posts are oftentimes factual, rather than opinion, based upon personal contacts inside the program that most of us do not possess.) Then the head-blow-uppers read Jazz's posts, vow the latest Jazzicisms shall not go unanswered, grab their own keyboards, and "tag" the Board with their counter-Jazzicisms. Then those members who admire Jazz or his "tags" (I'm SO tempted to call them tweets) grab their own keyboards and join the fray. The net result of all this is we end up with threads that may be entitled "Suggs", "Kessler", or "Nix," but in content they all become cyber billboards that have been defaced by way too many taggers.

I would love to think that a simple plea to keep the Whelping Box free of such drivel would correct the problem, but experience has convinced me it is not. Is it time to create a separate area of the Board -- call it "The Contrarians," "The Gloom 'n Doomers," or simply "All That Jazz" -- where the cybertaggers can post to their hearts' delight? I wish it would work, but like in the bricks and mortar world, the first commandment for a tagger is to be seen. How many of us would make regular visits to such a repository of wisdom?

ps: If there is a way a poster can edit his/her post to correct a typo in the title of his/her post (like, for instance, "fHelp"), I'd love to hear about it!
    I’ve been working most of the summer but over the years, Jazz In his own Inimitable way has always added things that make you think but adds balance to the Poly types. We need that.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I’ve been working most of the summer but over the years, Jazz In his own Inimitable way has always added things that make you think but adds balance to the Poly types. We need that.
    I’ve steered clear of Whelping for many weeks. Have fun. Nothing to see here, in more way than one.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I’ve steered clear of Whelping for many weeks. Have fun. Nothing to see here, in more way than one.
    Your first posts here after your return were very thoughtful.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Abe, why would you resurrect something like this from 3 weeks ago when things have already calmed down?
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

we will be in on the Top 20 guys now and we will win some of these battles. And going toe to toe with Duke is going to happen, We are turning out Pro's left and right, recruits see that and know if they come to GU they will improve and have a shot at the NBA. If you don't believe all of this, I personally believe you are selling GU short of what we are, a new Blue Blood of college basketball.
    AMEN!

Look at the March record. The overall record.

We beat Duke. BC and Rui, what a tandem. Zach Josh and the boys against Zion, RJ and Reddish. Anyone with working eyes can see how good we were, it was not a fluke.

Mark Few is coaching the US men's national team.

Zach Collins coming off the bench into a lottery pick. Sabonis. Etc. etc.

I can't see how the recruiting trajectory isn't sharply upward. We'll lose fewer than we'll win.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Looking forward to hearing how the Christie meeting goes today if you get any intel.
    Powell watched and meet with Christie, things went normal and pretty standard here. Powell does have a really good relationship with Christie (similar to Kessler and you saw us get in his top 6 just thanks to Roger).

We definitely have are top targets in 2021, but some of the names lower on that list you might want to keep an eye on, as we are making a strong push for a few of them. Early this spring I said Perry over Gregg, it could end up being both as we are Gregg's dream school and we have not pulled fully out of recruiting him yet.

Devin Askew on his Instagram says a commitment coming soon. Probably one to cross off the list, I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Devin Askew on his Instagram says a commitment coming soon. Probably one to cross off the list, I imagine.
    Yep that is not a good sign for us!

Horse shoes, hand grenades......college BB recruiting?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Makes me happy the staff is confident enough to be in the mix for these top players.

You miss 100% of the shots that you do not take.

Yep that is not a good sign for us!
    Looks like Kentucky visited Askew recently and quit recruiting a different combo guard...

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Looks like Kentucky visited Askew recently and quit recruiting a different combo guard...
    The stopped recruiting Green due to Clarke's commitment. I think Askew to Louisville is the most likely scenario.