Thread: Is Nike Next?

Default Is Nike Next?

Canzano on the emerging Nike situation

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/20...-equation.html

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    Canzano on the emerging Nike situation

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/20...-equation.html
    I can throw Avenatti out onto the street and focus on this alone:

Do you believe that Adidas was bidding for basketball talent against itself?

No. I don't.

I just hope that no recruits were steered to GU as a Nike school. I know Few wouldn't tolerate it, but Few isn't omnipotent. If a kid kept really quiet. …

But it is hard to hide secrets at GU. I feel safe … for now.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I can throw Avenatti out onto the street and focus on this alone:

No. I don't.

I just hope that no recruits were steered to GU as a Nike school. I know Few wouldn't tolerate it, but Few isn't omnipotent. If a kid kept really quiet. …

But it is hard to hide secrets at GU. I feel safe … for now.
    While we win a lot, I don't think Nike thinks about us enough to be sending us top recruits.

Seems like the sheet is going to hit the fan! Another "Black Sox" issue imo...

If evidence comes out in this trial about wrong doings by Nike and/or Adidas, the NCAA won't be able to ignore the violating schools...

If it can be proved that Williamson took money to go to Duke (a Nike sponsored school) then all hell is going to break out...

If the NCAA decides to "shut down" these shoe companies from sponsoring any AAU events, meaning that if kids play in these sponsored tournaments, the NCAA will penalize any school that "signs" them to an LOI. Now, if that happens I would think that P5 conferences could bolt from the NCAA and start their own collegiate athletic association...

Don't know how or when of even if they can change the system as it now exists BUT IMO they are going to have to take the money out of the equation...

Time will tell...

Considering how the FBI is operating these days...…...it'll end with them. NCAA simply isn't qualified unless they have a building full of lawyers and investigators.

Default Michael Avenatti May Have Found His Next Deserving Victim

Controversial lawyer Michael Avenatti has responded to "federal extortion charges [filed against him] earlier this year. Prosecutors allege he tried to “shake down” Nike by demanding they hire him to run an internal investigation of the EYBL or he would reveal incriminating details of the payouts. Avenatii pleaded not guilty and filed a motion to dismiss the case on Wednesday, arguing he was negotiating on behalf of a client, a fired EYBL coach from California who turned whistleblower on the company."

"Text messages and emails from Nike executives entered in federal court on Friday paint a vivid portrait of the inner workings of grassroots basketball." Players mentioned in this article include then-high school stars such as Zion Williamson, Romeo Langford and Deandre Ayton. "The exhibits released on Friday ... are not allegations by Avenatti. They are descriptions of how Nike did business in the words of Nike’s own executives, including Carlton DeBose, the director of the EYBL. ... The exhibits filed include a July 30, 2016, email in which DeBose explains to Nico Harrison, Nike’s vice president of North American Basketball Operations, the state of bidding wars between Nike, Adidas and Under Armour for top talent. DeBose said it can reach $100,000 for a high school player. DeBose ... noted that “I am willing to bet that 38 of 40 teams in the EYBL had to pay a moderate to considerable ransom to families to just play in the EYBL.”"

"DeBose also participated in a text message exchange on July 6, 2017, with an assistant coach at the University of Kentucky, according to the motion. In the exhibits, the initials “KP” are attached to one non-DeBose number. Kentucky has an assistant basketball coach named Kenny Payne."

https://sports.yahoo.com/texts-and-e...8.html?src=rss
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Yeah we know Dana down in Eugene can't keep his hands clean.