Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: SECOND DECADE

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    291

    Default SECOND DECADE

    Wouldn't this last season completed the second decade....Why no CD called the "Second Decade of Excellence"?

  2. #2

    Default

    I can almost hear Jim Nance saying those exact words!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    13,715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZionZag View Post
    ....Why no CD called the "Second Decade of Excellence"?

    Heister is feverishly boning up on the pronunciations.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    937

    Default

    25 years will be the next big milestone I’m thinking...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richland, Washington
    Posts
    6,449

    Default

    Many of us here are older. We watched the rise of the program.

    The young men that are entering their college careers have a different vantage. For the entirety of their lives, they have always seen a post season bracket that has included Gonzaga.

    Many of us sit here as a group of old folks stuck on the decade old concept of proving the validity of Gonzaga basketball as a top tier program, primarily to other old folks. A decade old argument aimed at a decade old narrative. Meanwhile the young folks have long since been sold on a program that has almost always been ranked in their lifetime.

    One of the most recent grad transfers was set on signing with Oklahoma State. Then Gonzaga contacted him and to quote this young man, " When Gonzaga talks, you listen". Shortly thereafter he committed to GU instead. Meanwhile, many of us will debate the definition of an elite program as a slow summer topic. There is a certain level of disconnect here. Look no further than the caliber of young men arriving to lace up their shoes and the caliber of programs that were bidding for their services.
    I miss Mike Hart

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seattle, spokane
    Posts
    3,092

    Default

    I hope Heister will make a second decade of excellence - that dvd was fun to watch for friends of mine who do not follow basketball, and it was well done.
    everytime I would get upset with his 'oneupsmanship' personality I would remind myself that he did a good job with that, and with his mark few show.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Many of us here are older. We watched the rise of the program.

    The young men that are entering their college careers have a different vantage. For the entirety of their lives, they have always seen a post season bracket that has included Gonzaga.

    Many of us sit here as a group of old folks stuck on the decade old concept of proving the validity of Gonzaga basketball as a top tier program, primarily to other old folks. A decade old argument aimed at a decade old narrative. Meanwhile the young folks have long since been sold on a program that has almost always been ranked in their lifetime.

    One of the most recent grad transfers was set on signing with Oklahoma State. Then Gonzaga contacted him and to quote this young man, " When Gonzaga talks, you listen". Shortly thereafter he committed to GU instead. Meanwhile, many of us will debate the definition of an elite program as a slow summer topic. There is a certain level of disconnect here. Look no further than the caliber of young men arriving to lace up their shoes and the caliber of programs that were bidding for their services.
    Out of many fantastic comments, this is one of your best.

    You put your finger on something we should be as proud of as all the wins, not once in that run has the school compromised on the type of kids they recruit. They've missed a few times, but less often than most, but it wasn't a "bad kid."

    I just keep thinking of Byron Wesley. Just as good a kid as can be. Showed up as a man, college grad, mature, looked you in the eye. And he was at one of the most beautiful campuses anywhere, low performing, yes, but a really good situation, and found one, and then he grew more. He only played a hear, yet he set the bar on tx players, and is much a Zag as Karno in my mind.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,409

    Default

    Not to quibble, but this is my outline:

    1. Decade of Excellence.
    2. Decade of Dominance.
    3. Decade of Championships.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,915

    Default

    THIRD DECADE Begins...… after the first 20 years, sure we've had some ups and down but outside of Wichita State and the Wyoming fiascoes, we've always represented well. I do think we're in a learning situation this year but we'll still nail 25-30 wins.....
    Next year will be amazing. I wish we'd have the HS seniors this year so the ascension would begin now with the other new 8 faces.

    Although the program proves itself high end year after year, still many of us can't quite believe this is the university that used to have 1800 kids and was famous for drinking and Bing Crosby. I used to mow the campus and put in the sprinkler systems plus do the snow removal (1968 was a jewel). Kids are kids...….the program for basketball has rising beyond what anyone thought. It gives us a certain joy. We all have renewed hope. I really do think it'll never get boring......won't if you were on campus as a young man or woman in the 60's and 70s.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    THIRD DECADE Begins...… after the first 20 years, sure we've had some ups and down but outside of Wichita State and the Wyoming fiascoes, we've always represented well. I do think we're in a learning situation this year but we'll still nail 25-30 wins.....
    Next year will be amazing. I wish we'd have the HS seniors this year so the ascension would begin now with the other new 8 faces.

    Although the program proves itself high end year after year, still many of us can't quite believe this is the university that used to have 1800 kids and was famous for drinking and Bing Crosby. I used to mow the campus and put in the sprinkler systems plus do the snow removal (1968 was a jewel). Kids are kids...….the program for basketball has rising beyond what anyone thought. It gives us a certain joy. We all have renewed hope. I really do think it'll never get boring......won't if you were on campus as a young man or woman in the 60's and 70s.
    Nice job, abe.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    .... I used to mow the campus and put in the sprinkler systems plus do the snow removal (1968 was a jewel). Kids are kids...….the program for basketball has rising beyond what anyone thought. It gives us a certain joy. We all have renewed hope. I really do think it'll never get boring......won't if you were on campus as a young man or woman in the 60's and 70s.
    Mow? Who mows west of the Rockies and east of the Appalachians? That’s a solid MIDWEST term, Doc. Who knew you were a corn-fed youngster who shopped at THE Hy-Vee?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,048

    Default

    Growing up in Spokane, your "mowed" the lawn and "shoveled" the drive or sidewalk. Hey Abe, did you have anything to do with removing the icicles over the entries on the Ad Bldg in Spring '69?
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Growing up in Spokane, your "mowed" the lawn and "shoveled" the drive or sidewalk. Hey Abe, did you have anything to do with removing the icicles over the entries on the Ad Bldg in Spring '69?
    I stand corrected. Back on East 28nd Street and Avenue L, we "cut the lawn."

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Mow? Who mows west of the Rockies and east of the Appalachians? That’s a solid MIDWEST term, Doc. Who knew you were a corn-fed youngster who shopped at THE Hy-Vee?
    Check your font Jazz, I was born in the 60's, lived in Idaho, now in Spokane, everyone I know, "mows" the lawn.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike#1 View Post
    Check your font Jazz, I was born in the 60's, lived in Idaho, now in Spokane, everyone I know, "mows" the lawn.
    Me, too.

    Though "cut" was sort of interchangeable, but certainly "mow" was used a lot.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,048

    Default

    The device used to reduce the height of the grass is most often called a “mower” is it not?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    8,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    The device used to reduce the height of the grass is most often called a “mower” is it not?
    The method used in Texas to reduce the height of grass from June to September is most often called "summer".

    Unless you want to incur hundreds of dollars in fines from local municipalities for watering outside of the allowed watering time of 12 midnight to 12:15 AM on Sunday morning.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •