Thread: OT ... Basketball loses a giant (and I've lost a friend)

Default OT ... Basketball loses a giant (and I've lost a friend)

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...sh-dies-at-73/

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...all-community/

You never want to get stuck behind a 6' 7" guy at the movies, a concert, or a ballgame. But when KeyArena opened after the Coliseum was renovated (and the Sonic's year at the Tacoma Dome) that's exactly what happened with our Row 2 corner/aisle seats. Great seats (priority number was in the 200's) but Row 1 aisle right in front of us was Jim Marsh and his 4 seats. And I couldn't have been more Blessed.

I ended up serving on Jim's Board of Director's for "Washington State Mentors" for 13 years. At Sonic's games, I saw his daughters grow up ... and talked to his "kids" when he took them to the games. Jon Brockman, Spencer Hawes, Martell Webster, and a host of others.

Jim's first "Gonzaga" kid out of high school is Corey Kispert. Micah Downs (one of Jim's "Friends of Hoops kids) came to GU after transferring from Kansas.

Jim was a classic GREAT guy. Humble. Funny. The attached article tells the story I've told here before ... Jim "holding" Lew Alcinder to 56 points in Alcinder's first college game. One of my favorite stories was John Wooden telling Jim late in his life "You know Jim? You're the only Trojan I allow in my house".

Jim passed away yesterday at the age of 73. And I'm going to miss my friend.

There are many more stories I'll likely tell. Jim Marsh was one of the "good" guys.

Marsh’s greatest impact came later when he led the successful Friends of Hoop AAU team while serving as a coach and mentor to future NBA stars, including Spencer Hawes, Jamal Crawford, Jon Brockman, Martell Webster, Nate Robinson and Isaiah Thomas.

“Jim didn’t care if you went on to the NBA or whatever, he treated everyone the same whether you were playing for him or not,” Hawes said. “When I think about him, I don’t even think about the basketball stuff. He developed young men and held us accountable. He taught us discipline, and teaching us all the stuff outside of basketball.”

Marsh, who hosted an annual 3-on-3 basketball tournament to raise awareness of Parkinson’s disease, also served as the CEO of MENTOR Washington, an organization founded in 2004 that provides mentors to youths.

“I can’t imagine how many thousands of people are sad right now because of this news,” former Seattle Times columnist Steve Kelley said. “In a lot of ways he was my best friend. The weird thing about saying that is, he was so many people’s best friend from every possible walk of life. Not just sports, but politics, charitable work and business and nationwide. As much of a figure as he was in Seattle sports, he was beloved across the country.
    Last edited by GoZags; 08-13-2019 at 06:46 PM.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

I'm sorry for your loss, GZ. Sounds like he was a wonderful man.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

I can confirm.superior man. GZ sent him over. Instantly liked him. Life’s too short. I’ll keep him in my prayers. Anybody who talks me out of $ just because it’s a good idea is my kinda guy. RIP Jim.

sorry GoZags to hear about the loss of such a good friend. I know the feeling. It's like there's a hole there. Peace!! And joy for the wonderful memories you have of this wonderful man.

God Bless!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Condolences, GZ. You were blessed to know such a man.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Condolences, GZ. You were blessed to know such a man.
    Agree ... and the ONLY times I've ever been to an official GU practice in the Kennel or K2 was with Jim .... I wrote about one of those times about a decade ago ...

Oh ... and my "Father Tony" signature is expremely apropos, as he and Jim were two peas in a pod ....

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...894#post471894

10/29/09 Disruption at practice yesterday

Practice yesterday afternoon was interupted for about 25-30 minutes yesterday, when a small group of special visitors arrived at the MAC. Friends of Hoops coach Jim Marsh (he's also President of Washington State Mentors), Lt. Governor Brad Owen (Co-Chair of Washington State Mentors) and a couple of others stopped in before heading to Crosby Alumni House for a scheduled event honoring (and presenting a check to) the Gonzaga University CCASL mentoring program.

Marsh's Friends of Hoops AAU program has been a source of a large number of D1 players, and also a handful into the NBA. Twice in the past 5 years Jim has been in "the Green Room" and seen two of his kids taken with NBA Lottery Picks (Martell Webster and Spencer Hawes).

It was quite a sight to see the entire staff's reaction (and several of the players) as Jim entered the gym. Jim could be the most respected man in coaching in our State. A couple of his kids (Stohl and Sikma) are on the highly regarded Portland Pilots roster. Coach Few spent about 20 minutes talking to Jim (and the Lt. Governor) as practice continued without him.

https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/art...BA-1297941.php

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Sorry for your loss, GZ.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Sorry, GZ, that hurts. It hurts WA, too. But, thank you for remembering him here.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Sorry, GZ, that hurts. It hurts WA, too. But, thank you for remembering him here.
    Thanks Dixie ...

"Good people are like candles; they burn themselves up to give others light. In that sometimes dark and wet Seattle community Jim Marsh shone brightest. Blessed to have spent time with this man and his model of goodness" - Brent Barry

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

I deeply regret the loss of your best friend, lost mine a few years back and that hole has not yet been filled

Sounds like a great man. Very sorry for your loss...
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Peace and healing to you. You - and many others - were very blessed.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right