ESPN: 8/13/19 New TEAM RANKINGS. Zags at #7.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MDABE80
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

ESPN: 8/13/19 New TEAM RANKINGS. Zags at #7.

The shifting sands of the Pac-12's preseason pecking order are a prominent feature of the latest Way-Too-Early Top 25.
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

All due respect, that’s nutz.

Comment

• Therunner
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
      All due respect, that’s nutz.
      Agreed

Unproven at every single position, save Tillie, and that's a question mark as well.

No set starter at PG

6 incoming freshman to integrate.

2 transfers coming off season-ending injuries.

The only returning starter made little impact on offense outside C&S 3's and was a liability on defense (although much improved in March).

The projected frontcourt were incredibly foul prone, even fouling out several games in less than 15 mins.

So many open ended questions...but I do appreciate the respect, attention, & hopeful optimism.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I’d be ok with 15ish. And even that is more a lifetime achievement award

Comment

• Markburn1
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Therunner View Post
          Agreed

Unproven at every single position, save Tillie, and that's a question mark as well.

No set starter at PG

6 incoming freshman to integrate.

2 transfers coming off season-ending injuries.

The only returning starter made little impact on offense outside C&S 3's and was a liability on defense (although much improved in March).

The projected frontcourt were incredibly foul prone, even fouling out several games in less than 15 mins.

So many open ended questions...but I do appreciate the respect, attention, & hopeful optimism.
          Maybe. Have to take into account the other programs. Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Villanova and Texas Tech all have essentially the same issues.

Seventh seems a little high, but then again...

Comment

• Markburn1
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2015

Maybe less of a lifetime achievement award and more of an acknowledgment of the leap in recruiting lately.

Comment

• zagzilla
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

"Gonzaga faced some backcourt questions entering the offseason, especially after Zach Norvell decided to keep his name in the NBA draft. But Mark Few now has several options on the perimeter. He landed graduate transfers Admon Gilder (Texas A&M) and Ryan Woolridge (North Texas) and could also see an improved Joel Ayayi on the roster next season. Representing France in the FIBA U19 World Cup, Ayayi was one of the more impressive players in the event, averaging 20.9 points, 5.6 rebounds and 3.4 assists"

Also SMC...
              The big question with Saint Mary's this season will be its inside play. The Gaels' best outfits under Randy Bennett have featured dominant post performers, from Diamon Simpson to Omar Samhan to Jock Landale. They won't get that level of play this season, but Bennett will need someone to produce inside with the departure of Jordan Hunter. Jock Perry hasn't been able to put it together, so Saint Mary's could pin its hopes on Seattle transfer Aaron Menzies getting a waiver to play next season. He should be able to, but there's been no official

Possible 7 games vs this list during OOC and WCC play. Should give us plenty of tests to figure out where we really belong. Regardless, good to see GU in the national consciousness.

ZZ

Comment

• tinfoilzag
                Zag for Life
                • Jun 2009

If everyone stays healthy, I think that is a possible rank at the end of the regular season but this is too high right now.

Team defense and rebounding is going to be a big problem early in the season.
                The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2009

I think the ranking is more of a reflection of the current state of the college game. Everybody with a pulse as far as a pro career is concerned is leaving early, and every team with first or second tier talent has to revamp the roster every year. At this point, with everybody in flux all the time, it's just a guessing game, and the Zags have earned the benefit of the doubt with their past performances and their consistency in replacing key parts of the roster.

As a comparison, I'll use the other team I follow, the Ducks at 17 before the commitment of Dante. who the writer says would move them inside the top 15. They have 3 returning players, and only one w/ a major impact last year in Pritchard.

Comment

• SunDevilGolfZag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

+1

Comment

• Malastein
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

I get it’s the slow part of the year, but I could care less about any bracketology or rankings until there’s been basketball tipped off. Until then, it’s all guesswork.
                      The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

• Markburn1
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Malastein View Post
                        I get it’s the slow part of the year, but I could care less about any bracketology or rankings until there’s been basketball tipped off. Until then, it’s all guesswork.
                        It's all guesswork until a champion is crowned. What's your point?

It's just entertainment.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
                          Maybe. Have to take into account the other programs. Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Villanova and Texas Tech all have essentially the same issues.

Seventh seems a little high, but then again...
                          Yeah, I have a hard time finding 8 teams behind us that all deserve to be in front of us. One or two maybe, not 8.
                          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• MDABE80
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

The real issue with us this year is that we have 8 new faces for the Zag system. We do have some good returnees ( Filip, Corey, Tillie, Ayayi) and it's a very good core, we really need the new guards to rise. I think we have sufficient bigs to win everything. Ballo ( my new fav) will help a lot as will Timme and Watson.
                            if Few molds this group into a high major winner ( E 8 or better) it'll be his masterpiece.

Comment

• DZ
                              Zag for Life
                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                              The real issue with us this year is that we have 8 new faces for the Zag system. We do have some good returnees ( Filip, Corey, Tillie, Ayayi) and it's a very good core, we really need the new guards to rise. I think we have sufficient bigs to win everything. Ballo ( my new fav) will help a lot as will Timme and Watson.
                              if Few molds this group into a high major winner ( E 8 or better) it'll be his masterpiece.
                              Good post.

Just returning Tillie, Corey and bringing in Gilder is probably a top 10 team, so long as raw talent is above average around it, with all the other teams' losing so much talent, too.

Gilder is new to GU, but this is one of the Wesley/Mathews type of "reliable" - He's a man, college graduate, been in big conference, big basketball games. He will be fine IMO.

So that's a great 3-man core.
                              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                              Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X