Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NCAA Team of the Decade

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Statistically Collins had better numbers than KO but Collins had trouble staying out on the floor alot of time with foul trouble. I think you could go either way. I'll take a Perk/NWG combo any day tho. I think Morrison's name should be thrown around to despite the fact he is a defensive liability.
    Morrison was not here in the last decade. This team they are voting for on Twitter is a Team of the Decade.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Statistically Collins had better numbers than KO but Collins had trouble staying out on the floor alot of time with foul trouble. I think you could go either way. I'll take a Perk/NWG combo any day tho. I think Morrison's name should be thrown around to despite the fact he is a defensive liability.
    there are some statistics that go each way-- ko, for example, had a better offensive efficiency rating on much higher usage (per kenpom). i imagine collins' blocks/rebs and maybe even pts/40 were higher. not sure which of these stats matter most, or which you'd lean on to conclude one had "better numbers" than the other (except for box score stats, where ko is the clear winner).

zc came in as a hyped recruit (McDAA, looks the part, prototypical range/length/athleticism), played an important but tertiary part on a stacked team, and rode a big showing in the NCAA tournament into becoming a lottery pick. like sabonis' freshman year, you could see that he was special-- but he didn't really have an opportunity to show out. i wouldn't have described him as one of the best players in the NCAA, but he would have been a consensus all-american if he had returned.

i don't need to re-hash k.o.'s story, but he went from almost transferring due to lack of opportunity to being a lottery pick by being one of the 3 or so best players in the NCAA that season and carrying the team (as the clear alpha) to our first ever #1 ranking and #1 seed.

it sounds like nostalgia, but it's also perspective. collins looked every bit as good for a couple games with a better supporting cast-- but i'll take the guy who did it for a full season with less help.

Collins and Olynyk's per 40 numbers are fairly similar, Collins more rebounds and blocks, Olynyk more points and assists, shooting numbers fairly close, but Olynyk's actual per game numbers are better. Olynyk was a first team all-American, Collins was 2nd team WCC.
    Morrison is not mentioned because it's just the last 10 years and he played in 2006.

I actually hate the per 40 numbers. Players stats are what they are. Collins had the luxury of being able to play with abandonment knowing he was allowed foul trouble to not be a concern. Olynyk was, is, and will always be a better Zag player than Collins in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    agree with this. that's why perkins must be on the team, imo.

agree with your top 2, but would personally rather have junior year kelly over frosh collins. no shade @zc -- he probably would have overtaken KO in his soph season -- but to me, he'll always be stuck a rung below (as a college player).
    Final 4 Collins > Wichita Olynyk imo. That was the rationale for the pick. Certainly the 4th yr player w/ the starter minutes had a better overall yr.

Agree with Jazz, Sabonis for Pangos. But if this team uses its bench and wants to play some defense, remove Wiltjer and insert Gary Bell Jr.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Regarding our loss to WSU in the round of 32, if either DS or Rui (2018-19) or Clarke were available I believe we win that game...it wasn't KO's performance but rather WSU had a great game...IMO if either of the three above were playing we win the NC that year...

All-Decade (2010-2019) Team
    NWG/Pangos
    Josh/Melson
    Rui/Gray
    KO/ZC
    DS/Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Regarding our loss to WSU in the round of 32, if either DS or Rui (2018-19) or Clarke were available I believe we win that game...it wasn't KO's performance but rather WSU had a great game...IMO if either of the three above were playing we win the NC that year...

All-Decade (2010-2019) Team
    NWG/Pangos
    Josh/Melson
    Rui/Gray
    KO/ZC
    DS/Clarke
    I would put Gary in over Melson, but now we're splitting atoms.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I'd take Bouldin over either, he finished up in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Choice of Melson is that he is taller (6'4" vs 6'2") and is more aggressive on offence and his defense is as good if not better than Gary...I thought about it but went with size...and yes, both could play the point if necessary.

Regarding Bouldin, he was an extremely good player but IMO he didn't have the quickness on defence again just my opinion...

Anyone who wants to vote for the zags in the second round today is the today.

Link?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Thanks 2mt.

Apparently I've got to be on twitter.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Gonzaga moves past Auburn! Will face Uconn in the sweet 16 team of the decade bracket. Does this count as 6 straight sweet 16 now?

Gonzaga moves past Auburn! Will face Uconn in the sweet 16 team of the decade bracket. Does this count as 6 straight sweet 16 now?
    Yep! Good one.

This one is ever more important bc entire programs are evaluated, not a "snapshot" in just "one year."

Post more, nice one.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

fun stuff. Karno the #1 impact player at GU during his entire career seems to me, breaking thru to the 8 with one backcourt and front court group, then the National Championship final with another, and in the games to get to those achievements he played up to his size. The win vs. UCLA to return to the Elite 8 was a masterpiece from him, broke through the mental ceiling for the Zags as the leader needed on the floor, and he'd be the player I'd put on any GU team he wasn't on to make that team instant title contenders. How does he not start on any GU all-decade team??? Looking forward to all of the statistical reasoning why

Gonzaga fell to Uconn in the Sweet 16.