Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Team of the Decade

Default NCAA Team of the Decade

If anyone interested there is an ongoing mock tournament at NCAA.com. Andy Katz selected his best 64 teams and then seeded them. He chose his 5 best players from each school over the past 10 years. I think the winners are determined by fan vote. You do have to have a Twitter account or make one which to me is a drag. Gonzaga has a 4 seed. The players are Pangos, Clarke, Rui, Williams-Goss, and Olynyk. Gonzaga beat Nevada in the first round but it doesn't show that yet on the page. In the comments people also suggested Sabonis, Perkins, Karnowski, Wiltjer and Collins. Some people also said our second five could beat most teams. It seems to go by college careers in choosing the players.

In my park Sabonis gets picked first

Quote Originally Posted by gon2mt View Post
    If anyone interested there is an ongoing mock tournament at NCAA.com. Andy Katz selected his best 64 teams and then seeded them. He chose his 5 best players from each school over the past 10 years. I think the winners are determined by fan vote. You do have to have a Twitter account or make one which to me is a drag. Gonzaga has a 4 seed. The players are Pangos, Clarke, Rui, Williams-Goss, and Olynyk. Gonzaga beat Nevada in the first round but it doesn't show that yet on the page. In the comments people also suggested Sabonis, Perkins, Karnowski, Wiltjer and Collins. Some people also said our second five could beat most teams. It seems to go by college careers in choosing the players.

Not gonna' disagree with you Jazz, but who would you replace in that group & why?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Not gonna' disagree with you Jazz, but who would you replace in that group & why?
    KP not quite the level of the other 4 and the Bonus uber alles. I know, it’s by position.

some recency bias on the GU squad. Biggest question mark is Sabonis vs. Clarke and Wiltjer vs Hachimura. I'd take Kyle over Rui based solely on play during GU career.

ZZ

It may seem to be by position but looking at the other teams I don't think it is.

Zags play Auburn next. Hopefully get enough votes. By talent should win that game.

I'd probably swap out Rui for Domas as well, good as Rui was. Rui isn't that much more of a "3" than Kelly.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Domas for Kelly... Good luck getting a rebound against that group.

Perkins for KP anyday!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    KP not quite the level of the other 4 and the Bonus uber alles. I know, it’s by position.
    I agree.

A top 5 team from this generation - leaving aside the giants of the distant pass - must include Sabonis. I also think I move out Rui in favor of Wiltjer.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Perkins for KP anyday!
    Neither comes up to the level of NWG, the Bonus, KO, BC, Rui. KW and Collins ahead of them as well.

Neither comes up to the level of NWG, the Bonus, KO, BC, Rui. KW and Collins ahead of them as well.
    I'd like to think you'd need some guards on a basketball team.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    I'd like to think you'd need some guards on a basketball team.
    This a fantasy team. Besides, NWG can run the show with help from KO or even KW. Welcome to position-less hoops.

This a fantasy team. Besides, NWG can run the show with help from KO or even KW. Welcome to position-less hoops.
    you can choose your own criteria, for sure. but i'm with zrw-- positions don't matter if you're discussing who's on mount rushmore, but are pertinent when the original topic has to do with seeding and predicting a fantasy tournament.

few's never shown any interest or willingness in playing a lineup bigger than wiltjer/sabonis/karno-- which was a huge flop until he gave it up. the names look nice together in a list, but the basketball would likely be awful.

Really getting in the weeds on this, Dud.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    you can choose your own criteria, for sure. but i'm with zrw-- positions don't matter if you're discussing who's on mount rushmore, but are pertinent when the original topic has to do with seeding and predicting a fantasy tournament.

few's never shown any interest or willingness in playing a lineup bigger than wiltjer/sabonis/karno-- which was a huge flop until he gave it up. the names look nice together in a list, but the basketball would likely be awful.

It's the offseason - none of us have anything better to do.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Jazz, this is picky BUT, when you use "Dud" do you mean a no-good loser or do you really mean "Dude" like your good drinking buddy in a So California sports bar?

'dud' as in the last sylable in soccerdud, whom he was responding to I would presume.
    GO ZAGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarenyon View Post
    'dud' as in the last sylable in soccerdud, whom he was responding to I would presume.
    this

self-chosen moniker-- and definitely the former definition, burgess.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgessEraZag View Post
    Jazz, this is picky BUT, when you use "Dud" do you mean a no-good loser or do you really mean "Dude" like your good drinking buddy in a So California sports bar?
    My fellow SD pal goes by soccerDUD. Nothing to see here.

An interesting example of the kind of lineup Jazz suggests was done by Dana Altman and the Ducks last year, when he went to a lineup of four 6'9 guys and Pritchard, and won the league tourney and got two blowouts in the NCAA's before falling to UVa in the sweet 16. But it worked because they were holding good teams to 48-53 points while scoring in the 60's, largely due to Kenny Wooten's rim protection behind all that length and size. Altman seemed to have given up on that team developing any kind of a fluid offense, and went all in on the defensive end.

I don't see Few ever doing that; a fluid offense is too important to the way the Zags play, as dud's example illustrates. Even the year they had the top defense statistically, they always had three 6'3-4 guys on the court.

Also, when you basically have an allstar front court loaded with NBA level scoring talent, I'd rather have a distributor controlling the action that a PG who wants to score. GU's highest offensive efficiency ever was last year.

Sabonis, Clarke are my front court, backed up by Collins.

The Bonus uber alles.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Also, when you basically have an allstar front court loaded with NBA level scoring talent, I'd rather have a distributor controlling the action that a PG who wants to score. GU's highest offensive efficiency ever was last year.
    agree with this. that's why perkins must be on the team, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Sabonis, Clarke are my front court, backed up by Collins.
    agree with your top 2, but would personally rather have junior year kelly over frosh collins. no shade @zc -- he probably would have overtaken KO in his soph season -- but to me, he'll always be stuck a rung below (as a college player).

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    agree with this. that's why perkins must be on the team, imo.

agree with your top 2, but would personally rather have junior year kelly over frosh collins. no shade @zc -- he probably would have overtaken KO in his soph season -- but to me, he'll always be stuck a rung below (as a college player).
    Statistically Collins had better numbers than KO but Collins had trouble staying out on the floor alot of time with foul trouble. I think you could go either way. I'll take a Perk/NWG combo any day tho. I think Morrison's name should be thrown around to despite the fact he is a defensive liability.