Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BYU Childs suspended 9 games

Exclamation BYU Childs suspended 9 games

Forward Yoeli Childs has been suspended for the first nine games of the 2019-20 season.

https://kslsports.com/414435/byu-bas...st-nine-games/

9 games because some paperwork was filed late? The NCAA sucks. Way to stick it to the kid.

Maybe there’s a great reason for this penalty but it seems heavy handed and of low importance with all of the other garbage going on in college basketball. I think the NCAA would want any good player like that back to improve their brand and would take a softer stance on it. Isn’t there a new rule that will take effect next year that would render this infraction irrelevant, anyway? (Maybe he wasn’t invited to the draft combine, but he should have been)

It’s not like he’s cruising around in a super sweet used Jetta that was given to him by a booster, or something...

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Maybe there’s a great reason for this penalty but it seems heavy handed and of low importance with all of the other garbage going on in college basketball. I think the NCAA would want any good player like that back to improve their brand and would take a softer stance on it. Isn’t there a new rule that will take effect next year that would render this infraction irrelevant, anyway? (Maybe he wasn’t invited to the draft combine, but he should have been)

It’s not like he’s cruising around in a super sweet used Jetta that was given to him by a booster, or something...
    How Duke hasn't been hit with recruiting infractions is beyond me. Both Marvin Bagley III and Zion were mixing up in the pay to play scandal. The NCAA has its hearts set on penalizing players and not programs.

This penalty seems disproportionate to the infraction.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    How Duke hasn't been hit with recruiting infractions is beyond me. Both Marvin Bagley III and Zion were mixing up in the pay to play scandal. The NCAA has its hearts set on penalizing players and not programs.
    Koach wears Nike apparel coated in Teflon. Duke will never be investigated as long as Koach is on the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by West Side Lady View Post
    9 games because some paperwork was filed late? The NCAA sucks. Way to stick it to the kid.
    Would never have happened had he signed with an agent who has a bachelors degree.

Umm, wait a minute...

How many kids signed with agents this year, 200. 300.

How many of these kids have violated the simple rule of filing the paperwork with the NCAA before you sign with an agent? Personally does not sound too hard to me.

This is the first case that I have heard of this specific violation.

The penalty may be a little harsh, but it really is a simple rule to follow. There was no big hurry to sign with the agent, that Childs could have taken the time to verify the NCAA had the paperwork on file.

Fill out the NCAA paperwork, File the paperwork with the NCAA, make sure the NCAA has the appropriate paperwork on file, sign with the agent. Easy.

I am sure that Childs did not intend to violate any NCAA rules, but he did, so he gets to sit. No idea if BYU or Childs dropped the ball, but after completing 3 years of college, you are an adult and got to be responsible for yourself and your actions.

ZagRecruitWatch, remind me again how many Duke players did not file their paperwork with the NCAA before signing with an agent?

ZagDad

So much bull####. He gets this for violating " new NCAA agent/draft rules" because he didn't follow "procedural" rules when filing for draft eligibility. The NCAA deserves all the bad press they earn.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    How many kids signed with agents this year, 200. 300.

How many of these kids have violated the simple rule of filing the paperwork with the NCAA before you sign with an agent? Personally does not sound too hard to me.

This is the first case that I have heard of this specific violation.

The penalty may be a little harsh, but it really is a simple rule to follow. There was no big hurry to sign with the agent, that Childs could have taken the time to verify the NCAA had the paperwork on file.

Fill out the NCAA paperwork, File the paperwork with the NCAA, make sure the NCAA has the appropriate paperwork on file, sign with the agent. Easy.

I am sure that Childs did not intend to violate any NCAA rules, but he did, so he gets to sit. No idea if BYU or Childs dropped the ball, but after completing 3 years of college, you are an adult and got to be responsible for yourself and your actions.

ZagRecruitWatch, remind me again how many Duke players did not file their paperwork with the NCAA before signing with an agent?

ZagDad
    Dukes violation is much more egregious then miss filing paperwork. My point is the NCAA have there priorities all in the wrong places and should be investigating schools like Duke and Arizona for more serious recruiting violations.

It's a good thing the NCAA is on top of this crucial issue.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Dukes violation is much more egregious then miss filing paperwork. My point is the NCAA have there priorities all in the wrong places and should be investigating schools like Duke and Arizona for more serious recruiting violations.
    The topic of the post was concerning BYU and Yoeli Childs. What this post was not was another post about Duke, Kansas, UNC getting away with XYZ because of Coach K, Coach Williams, Coach Self and the NCAA once again overlooking the misdeeds of the blue bloods and so on.

Yes the NCAA seems to punish the little guy way beyond what the blue bloods get saddled with. Maybe the blue bloods just cheat better (maybe because they have more experience). Yes I believe that the NCAA is more than a little willy-nilly with their punishments and who they choose to investigate. And yes the NCAA is most likely more than a little crooked.

That all being said, simply follow the rules and you won't get penalized. It is a first year rule and the NCAA wanted to make sure it was followed and now it certainly has a lot of people's attention.

Any of us who are professionals with licenses that have to be maintained, both personnel and business, have to check the boxes, fill in the forms, obtain the appropriate continuing education, send the paperwork in on time to the correct agency, yada, yada, yada to maintain those licenses. If we don't get the paperwork done correctly, delivered to the appropriate agency on time with the proper payment, we can lose our licenses, have them suspended, or have to pay a late charge (penalty) and numerous other potential penalties. It is a fact of life. The licensing departments don't care if the USPS lost the paperwork, the E-check/CC did not clear or validate and so on. It is my responsibility to get the appropriate paperwork to the appropriate agency correctly filled out and on time along with the proper payment.

Yes 9 games seems a bit of a reach for what Childs did for not following proper procedure (not filing the appropriate paperwork in the correct order), but really, it is not that difficult a rule, Take responsibility for what you did or in this case did not do, serve your penalty and move on.

If you simply follow the rules, you don't have to worry about receiving an excessive penalty.

ZagDad

The topic of the post was concerning BYU and Yoeli Childs. What this post was not was another post about Duke, Kansas, UNC getting away with XYZ because of Coach K, Coach Williams, Coach Self and the NCAA once again overlooking the misdeeds of the blue bloods and so on.

Yes the NCAA seems to punish the little guy way beyond what the blue bloods get saddled with. Maybe the blue bloods just cheat better (maybe because they have more experience). Yes I believe that the NCAA is more than a little willy-nilly with their punishments and who they choose to investigate. And yes the NCAA is most likely more than a little crooked.

That all being said, simply follow the rules and you won't get penalized. It is a first year rule and the NCAA wanted to make sure it was followed and now it certainly has a lot of people's attention.

Any of us who are professionals with licenses that have to be maintained, both personnel and business, have to check the boxes, fill in the forms, obtain the appropriate continuing education, send the paperwork in on time to the correct agency, yada, yada, yada to maintain those licenses. If we don't get the paperwork done correctly, delivered to the appropriate agency on time with the proper payment, we can lose our licenses, have them suspended, or have to pay a late charge (penalty) and numerous other potential penalties. It is a fact of life. The licensing departments don't care if the USPS lost the paperwork, the E-check/CC did not clear or validate and so on. It is my responsibility to get the appropriate paperwork to the appropriate agency correctly filled out and on time along with the proper payment.

Yes 9 games seems a bit of a reach for what Childs did for not following proper procedure (not filing the appropriate paperwork in the correct order), but really, it is not that difficult a rule, Take responsibility for what you did or in this case did not do, serve your penalty and move on.

If you simply follow the rules, you don't have to worry about receiving an excessive penalty.

ZagDad
    I have to agree completely, the onus was on the player to ensure all the "i" were dotted and "t's" were crossed. When you don't follow the rules, you leave yourself open to the penalties that follow. Each and everyone of us that are old enough or not too old to drive have a license which WE are responsible to make sure it is current.

I feel bad for the kid but he dropped the ball...his handlers, if he had any, let him down and he has to pay the consequences and ultimately BYU's Mens Basketball Team will also suffer these consequences.

IMO it is a shame he received such a harsh penalty. I do wonder how the NCAA decided on "9" games and not 3 or 20...

When I first saw the thread I thought it was probably a honor code violation....boys being boys....

BYU must have a very large and expert compliance staff ……..they should have anticipated and prevented this....9 games is ridiculous..... in my opinion...and to deny them a appeal ..... really ??? That is just mean spirited ..

I will always think about the NCAA in the context of what North Caroline did and got away with.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    .....I will always think about the NCAA in the context of what North Caroline did and got away with.
    Was it mascot stealing?
    https://northcaroline.weebly.com/
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by West Side Lady View Post
    Late paperwork and impermissible expenses paid for by the agent. I would guess part of that was due to Childs having no intent to come back when he declared. This sucks for the conference as well. BYU has a really good non conference schedule and he will miss most of the games. BYU will be without their best player and only inside presence. It will be almost impossible for BYU to earn an at large bid now.

I am sure that Childs did not intend to violate any NCAA rules, but he did, so he gets to sit. No idea if BYU or Childs dropped the ball, but after completing 3 years of college, you are an adult and got to be responsible for yourself and your actions. ZagDad
    How do we know that the paperwork is easy? How do we know that miscommunication didn't happen in the Athletic Department and both thought the other was doing it?

And without regard to whether it was easy or not, whether the rule is clear or not (they are often not as clear and easy as you may think), we in this nation try to make the punishment proportionate to the crime.

Following the speed limit is easy, people who drive must be responsible for their actions, but we don't put people in jail for 10 days if they're clocked 10 miles above the limit, easy as it is to follow.

I am not excusing Childs, I am attempting to make sense out of the NCAA's priorities, where coaches making 8 figures so often make "mistakes" and seldom get punished at this level, missing 9 games, or 9 game worth of a paycheck.

Did Child's deserve to have ramifications? Sure. Does he deserve 9 game suspention, 1/3 of his year, that sounds absurd to me, and typical NCAA, the athletes who make a fortune for the school and NCAA bear the brunt of any impropriety.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Well said, Dixie. Agree w you 100%
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

It is not as if they were cheating to gain a competitive advantage it was a process error....I would not expect a player to understand the ever changing NCAA rules.....that is why Gonzaga/BYU have a compliance staff....

How do we know that the paperwork is easy? How do we know that miscommunication didn't happen in the Athletic Department and both thought the other was doing it?
    What IS easy is knowing that the NCAA must have the paperwork BEFORE you hire an agent. If you ASSume that somebody else filed the paperwork for you, and did not check before you hired the agent, it is shame on you. This does not even address the "impermissible expenses paid for by the agent". My guess is the majority of the penalty was do to the latter not the former (late paperwork).

I am not excusing Childs,
    That is exactly what you are doing.

Did Child's deserve to have ramifications? Sure. Does he deserve 9 game suspension, 1/3 of his year, that sounds absurd to me, and typical NCAA, the athletes who make a fortune for the school and NCAA bear the brunt of any impropriety.
    How much does missing 9 games actually hurt Childs personally? It is not like missing 9 games worth of a paycheck, he still has his scholarship, school and living expenses are paid for and so on. It does impact BYU and potentially hurts their chance of getting an NCAA bid (impacting both the WCC and GU) but how much does it really hurt Childs himself in the grand scheme of things?

I am attempting to make sense out of the NCAA's priorities
    Good luck with that. We all agree that 9 games seems to be a bit stiff, but then we don't know the extent of the impermissible expenses paid by the agent. Personally I would have liked to see the agent penalized for his actions in addition to the player.

ZagDad

Stating that the penalty doesn't fit the crime and also noting the hypocrisy of the NCAA is in no way excusing Childs. One can easily hold both thoughts in one's head.

If you get 20 days jail for speeding, while someone making 10 million a year pays $60, I guarantee I will make the same argument for you.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    we in this nation try to make the punishment proportionate to the crime.
    I don't think it's even close, Dix. But that's for a forum that no longer exists here.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Dix,

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Stating that the penalty doesn't fit the crime and also noting the hypocrisy of the NCAA is in no way excusing Childs. One can easily hold both thoughts in one's head.
    There is absolutely no arguement in any of the above. I believe everybody is in compete agreement that the penalty seems way excessive given what we know about the violations. That being said, consider that maybe the NCAA has just a bit more info than we do on the situation before passing final judgement.

My only issue with any point you have made was this sentence in your first post.

This comes across, at least to me, as finger pointing, deflection, lack of taking responsibility, etc. The ultimate responsibility of ensuring the paperwork was completed and filed in the correct order is on Childs. Any work that goes out of my office is my responsibility whether I actually did the work or one of my employees did the work. If my secretary was supposed to send my license renewal next day air to get it to the correct government agency and she dropped it in snail mail, is the State going to penalize my secretary. Nope, my responsibility.

I am sorry for the vent. It is a major pet peeve of mine that so many people today refuse to accept responsibility for their actions, it is always somebody else's fault. Yoeli is what 22-24 years old? He is an adult, not a child. Child's has accepted responsibility for his mistake in this issue, we should believe him.

ZagDad

9 games is the same suspension Nick Emery got, his infractions come across as more egregious to me.

Reading this thread makes my head hurt.

1. Everyone agree's he should be suspended.
    2. It would seem most people are in concurrence that the 9 days is a absurdly long penalty for the violation.
    3. The NCAA is a bunch of money hungry ######es who only seem to enforce there rules when it is convenient and when it wont jeopardize the large market teams in the league.