• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zagdawg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

GU Incoming Freshman Class Info--Kennel Club Should Be Packed

"The incoming class will be one of GU’s largest with 1,254 first-year students and 103 transfer students, making it among the five largest classes to register at the university."

• ZagRecruitWatch
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
    "The incoming class will be one of GU’s largest with 1,254 first-year students and 103 transfer students, making it among the five largest classes to register at the university."

https://www.gonzagabulletin.com/news...60a7763bc.html
    They need to start lowering the acceptance rate. One of the great things about the school is the small class sizes yet the ability to still have different friend groups. I see few negatives of making it a more selective and prestigious university.

Comment

• CB4
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
      They need to start lowering the acceptance rate. One of the great things about the school is the small class sizes yet the ability to still have different friend groups. I see few negatives of making it a more selective and prestigious university.
      I agree with you but unfortunately one of the negatives of smaller class sizes is less parent/federal student loan revenue.

Comment

• soccerdud
        Zag for Life
        • Jul 2009

if you've been paying attention-- they've done both. yeah, the class sizes are bigger-- but the average GPA, test scores, etc have gone up significantly, too. imo, leadership has done an amazing job of managing the twin streams of notoriety and cash provided by our basketball success-- they have balanced growth with exclusivity, and managed to rebuild much of the physical school while shoring up the school's endowments. the school's near- and long-term outlook is better than it's ever been; basketball aside, gonzaga isn't going away.

getting a gonzaga degree is/was an investment-- and i, for one, am absolutely thrilled with how the university has continued to add value to mine.

Comment

• DZ
          Zag for Life
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by soccerdud View Post
          if you've been paying attention-- they've done both. yeah, the class sizes are bigger-- but the average GPA, test scores, etc have gone up significantly, too. imo, leadership has done an amazing job of managing the twin streams of notoriety and cash provided by our basketball success-- they have balanced growth with exclusivity, and managed to rebuild much of the physical school while shoring up the school's endowments.

getting a gonzaga degree is/was an investment-- and i, for one, am absolutely thrilled with how the university has continued to add value to mine.
          Thank you for noting that.

Even with the bigger class sizes, most of the investment goes right back into the Univ to hire more people to accommodate that growth. When I was there, we had 2.5 biology profs in the department.

I believe the number is now 10, not counting adjuncts.

I am guessing, but I suspect they had 3-4 times more applicants than admissions.
          Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
          Mark Twain.

Comment

• Grand Valley Zag
            Kennel Club
            • Nov 2017

As I recall, they studied and decided the ideal student population size. It's a bit bigger than it is now, but not tremendously so. So they probably won't keep growing it indefinitely.

Comment

• kitzbuel
              • Feb 2007

Gonzaga is still not that large. Some other freshman class enrollment numbers I found on the web:

Pepperdine - 803
              USD - 1310
              Santa Clara - 1420
              Creighton - 1150
              Duke - 1740
              Villanova - 1675
              Boston University - 3620
              University of Chicago - 1806
              'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
              - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• GrizZAG
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2009

My grandson just entered West Point. His class of 2023 started with 1,201 in early July and is already down from that a bit.
                Some interesting data on his class:

11,674 applicants
                3,920 nominated
                2,197 qualified
                1,201 admitted

includes:
                90 Valedictorians
                165 class presidents
                793 team captains
                1,192 Varsity players
                23.4% Women
                15% African American
                12% Hispanic
                7.9% Asian
                7% Soldiers from ranks
                16 international cadets
                17 combat veterans
                One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• ZagRecruitWatch
                  Kennel Club Alum
                  • Jul 2019

Originally posted by soccerdud View Post
                  if you've been paying attention-- they've done both. yeah, the class sizes are bigger-- but the average GPA, test scores, etc have gone up significantly, too. imo, leadership has done an amazing job of managing the twin streams of notoriety and cash provided by our basketball success-- they have balanced growth with exclusivity, and managed to rebuild much of the physical school while shoring up the school's endowments. the school's near- and long-term outlook is better than it's ever been; basketball aside, gonzaga isn't going away.

I agree with some things but the trend has been increasing class sizes 1202 in 18-19, and a class over 1200 in 17-18. You can build new facilities without increasing class sizes especially since most new building are heavily donation based. I have heard that the large class sizes have been pushing upperclassman off campus even if they want to stay on campus. Kennedy has been converted to a suite style living (like dillion) with RA's. On top of that talking with many of my admin friends, class sizes at gonzaga have thus been on the rise for most programs. They currently have held at a 67% acceptance rate and I think current students and graduates could really benefit from a lower acceptance rate since they have a trend of more people being admitted into the school.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

When I attended Gonzaga I do not know anyone in my class that wanted to stay on campus if they had the opportunity to be in their own apartment or house (Freshman and sophomore year students are required to live in dorms). The school has a plan that seems to be working --expanding infrastructure to support the growth as needed. The growth is positive and it would be a shame to limit enrollment in efforts to make Gonzaga a more "elite" school rather than one that educates the masses who can meet the current enrollment requirements-- the school knows how many freshman spots they can accommodate and the enrollment depicts the GPA/SAT/ACT cutoff requirements to get in.

If it is a well-oiled machine -- don't try to revamp it.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

When I attended Gonzaga I do not know anyone in my class that wanted to stay on campus if they had the opportunity to be in their own apartment or house (Freshman and sophomore year students are required to live in dorms). The school has a plan that seems to be working --expanding infrastructure to support the growth as needed. The growth is positive and it would be a shame to limit enrollment in efforts to make Gonzaga a more "elite" school rather than one that educates the masses who can meet the current enrollment requirements-- the school knows how many freshman spots they can accommodate and the enrollment depicts the GPA/SAT/ACT cutoff requirements to get in.

I lived in DeSmet 3 out of my 4 years, loved it. It was a few minute walk to just about everything: the COG, Ad Building, Crosby Library. My dormmates were my best friends, too.

Of course, back then there were no enforced restrictions on alcohol in the dorms. Even as a freshman, I always had a six pack of beer in my fridge. Times were different back then, when 18 was the age of adulthood in the US.

On my 18th birthday, my stepfather told me I could grab a beer anytime, even though the drinking age in California was 21.

LOL, I remember Colonel Boyle drinking with us after every ROTC monthly training session on Saturdays. Damn, those were good times.

Comment

• ZagRecruitWatch
                        Kennel Club Alum
                        • Jul 2019

About half of the upperclassman live on what would be considered "on campus" in apartments or sponsored housing when I was there. Now much more live in off campus housing or off campus apartment living. I think a good portion like it as TexasZagFan stated because of poxy to everything. And I disagree entirely that it would be a shame if the school didn't become more prestigious and selective. School spend tons of money in this exact pursuit and it should be exactly what graduates and students of the university want. The only people it doesn't benefit are those that didn't get in because of rigorous standards.

Comment

• ZagaZags
                          Banned
                          • May 2010

About half of the upperclassman live on what would be considered "on campus" in apartments or sponsored housing when I was there. Now much more live in off campus housing or off campus apartment living. I think a good portion like it as TexasZagFan stated because of poxy to everything. And I disagree entirely that it would be a shame if the school didn't become more prestigious and selective. School spend tons of money in this exact pursuit and it should be exactly what graduates and students of the university want. The only people it doesn't benefit are those that didn't get in because of rigorous standards.
                          Seems reasonable.

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
                            Zag for Life
                            • Apr 2007

Our oldest son is in the 10th grade, so we are starting to look at all the potential colleges for him. Gonzaga continues to move up the college rankings, Kiplinger has them up there with some of the best universities.
                            Proud to say they have Gonzaga ranked higher than Villanova....I told my wife, we are not giving money to Nova.

Comment

• DZ
                              Zag for Life
                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by GrizZAG View Post
                              My grandson just entered West Point. His class of 2023 started with 1,201 in early July and is already down from that a bit.
                              What an unbelievable honor/accomplishment, for him and the entire family. Admitted applicants don't just appear in a poof of air, they're brought up right by people who were brought up right.

I am sure you're very proud, as you damn well should be. Congrats to him, your child and you.
                              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                              Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X