Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Milestone Marker

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Yeah, the book read in elementary school will always be different the second time you get around to reading it to your kids. I did enjoy LOTR much more the second time around for the depth of the stories, but I remember being gripped at the edge of my seat the first time around in grades 4-6. Both good, just different. I once tried as a kid to read Tolkein's The Silmarillion, which is sort of a prequel of Middle Earth history, but boy, it's so dense (and ultimately uninteresting), it has a huge index of all the characters because it's impossible to keep track of them. Avoid that one!

Do look for Fablehaven...I have the benefit of having a librarian for a sib, so she usually finds me real gems. There's another series I recommend -- The Underland Chronicles. It's by the author of The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins), but written earlier and for younger audiences. It's about a couple of siblings that find a subterranean civilization living below NYC. More fantastical creatures.
    I hated silmarillion, as an adult.

When I was 4 1/2. I was burned. My bathrobe caught fire. In the 6 months of my recovery, I read my first adult book. I read Ben Hur.

Let your kids at them They will decide if the time is right.

I still reread books and get something new every time.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    It is great advice. It really is. We need to be reminded of it often.

MCMM: Mine found Harry Potter at this age and she's now one book away from reading the whole series. Of course she's read other books but those were a bit more of a challenge and required her attention. We bought her an entire set. She has a favorite "nook" where she stays most of the day, in the sun room, with her phone, books, music and drawing pad. She put her books up all in a row on the window sill, put a few others, too. She likes having a small library there and we think she's taking a bit of ownership pride in it. She straightens them all up often. It's cute, but even better than she just dove in and didn't come back. Now we're buying Slytherin athletic shirts, and caps.

Might try it?
    I tried to get my boys to enjoy the Harry Potter series a handful of times over the years. They never took to the series. About two weeks ago, over their protests, I started reading the Sorcerer’s Stone as a bedtime story for my 13 y/o. My older son joined us for a couple of nights. He got hooked and read the entire series in about two weeks.

I’m still reading a couple of chapters per night with my younger son. We’re halfway through the second book.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

My boys finally gave "The Princess Bride" a chance. On previous attempts at family movie night, they seemed to think it was supposed to be a drama, so we kept telling them it's silly, listen to the dialogue, etc. 9 year old now loves it and is reading the book. 6 year old says it's okay, but he's quoting it...so...I think we win?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    My boys finally gave "The Princess Bride" a chance. On previous attempts at family movie night, they seemed to think it was supposed to be a drama, so we kept telling them it's silly, listen to the dialogue, etc. 9 year old now loves it and is reading the book. 6 year old says it's okay, but he's quoting it...so...I think we win?
    Nobody loses watching this movie! "Anybody want a peanut?"

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Nobody loses watching this movie! "Anybody want a peanut?"

Are there rocks ahead?

If there are we'll all be dead.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

My only baby (one's allowed to call their child baby the entire life in the south) started 7th grade - at home, for now - just this last week.

To make it a bit more fun, between my stuff that I do, I am having her teach me her lessons, after reviewing them herself. It's a great way to learn.

I will admit without insecurity, that some of the math I have forgotten and wouldn't know how to do it without her help.

She's had a tough six months, as we all have, but it's tough being 12 anyway, and will be 13 in exactly a month. Amazing.

Instead of longing for days when she was 4 or the first day of kindergarten, I make a point to love every single day right now. She will be 24 in a the blink of an eye.

I have already started to teach her to drive. No, not touching anything or operating the vehicle, only pointing out things to watch, and various dangers, etc. so she gets used to looking for the same.

I have been around a lot of girls/women that prefer not to drive. If she grows up that way, it is her choice. But she is absolutely going to know how to drive VERY well for those times she needs to.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

6th month anniversary of making an actual real living writing on the net. Not luxury living but not poverty. I still do some law but only to keep skills.

I enjoy it. It's the first job where it doesn't feel like work.

There are millions that would claw their own eyes out for the type that I'm doing, and so I'm grateful for the chance.

The future of this all depends on site viability, advertising, FB being Satanic (not directing traffic to the site) but given the visibility it makes it more likely to move on to somethig similar if site has troubles. If the site's fine, I'm more than fine as ... they like me. So I'm grateful for the chance, and marking a half year sort of proves it was no fluke.

Sorry for self-absorbed BS but, well, sometimes it's okay to say "good job" to oneself.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Is it a site that we can see?

I haven't seen your byline on Politizoom lately, but I like Ursula's writing a lot. She has some good insights.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Is it a site that we can see?

I haven't seen your byline on Politizoom lately, but I like Ursula's writing a lot. She has some good insights.
    Yeah, I was recruited from Zoom and was allowed to offer them to publish my stuff, too. But, there were financial issues for them and I told them to go fly. I still have total editorial freedom, which is such a luxury, but one can't keep the business side going enough just doing the serious analysis I was doing at Zoom. Sometimes the more salacious stuff is a bit embarrassing but it's a sad reality that those are the ones that get 250K views versus 10K for others, and so ... it just has to be a balance.

So I try 1/3 serious analysis, 1/3 total salacious stuff, 1/3 humor - sometimes it works. But it is different that what you're used to. I still try to slide a serious little angle even on silly stories, just hidden. But it's a fantastic position that I'm very grateful for, especially with COVID and daughter schooling from home, it is just perfect.

https://www.politicalflare.com/
    Mark Twain.

I should note that COVID is just hammering even businesses like us, it's not just retail and movies, travel. Ad rates went way down, we went to 1/4 staff, let 75% go, so again I am lucky but people should know that COVID is really impacting the economy in ways one wouldn't normally think.

Plus, I literally don't take a day off, 30 days a month, 7 a week. But I could take a weekend if I was traveling or something but if home, then we've got to put up some stuff every day. That's not that hard really, but it's just another reality.
    Mark Twain.