• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Milestone Marker

I propose a thread which all use to mark milestones in their family (or friends') lives. Maybe it will fall off, harmless.

*** My baby girl started sixth grade today, first official day of school down here, where as I've said before, they start early bc everyone wants to be inside anyway.

My only baby is now in middle school, even though her school is K-8. We live in the country, part of the 'Sipp that floats on oil. Thus, it is the best public school I have had the pleasure to be around. IT also allows the school to have "wings" - The K-2 "Wing" and the "3-5" wing, and the 6-8 wing.

Sadness, AND excitement. Every single time I long for the days when she was 5, I remind myself she will be 18 in six weeks, and enjoy the hell out of these days.

One great thing about living in the south, when you're a parent, you get to call your children your "babies" until you die.

That is why a proud grandmother will clap and cheer her "baby" at a high school football game.

Some find it sickening. I find it endearing, and loving.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

I do have hopes for this thread. It would give us a chance to congratulate each other, like family, Zags at our best.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Comment

• seacatfan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2014

They do grow up fast. My oldest nephew is about to start his first year of college at Louisville. I'm still finding that a bit hard to believe.

Comment

• GPGUgrad
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
        They do grow up fast. My oldest nephew is about to start his first year of college at Louisville. I'm still finding that a bit hard to believe.
        agree.

One of my nieces just graduated from GU and luckily got a job in Seattle as an engineer.
        She just moved to Seattle last weekend.

Gosh, I remember when she was born and I held her as a baby in Vegas.....
        all these women kept coming over to me and were telling me: "What a cute baby!"

That was the time when they imploded the Aladdin Hotel.

We went to see the blowing up of the hotel..... but, we didn't realize that once the Aladdin Hotel started to come down....
        well, all this dust and crud started going everywhere.

and we had to get the heck out of there pronto
        we were actually running as we pushed her on the stroller
        trying to avoid the huge dust cloud headed our way.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
          • Feb 2007

Legally being able to drink with your own children. Which, as of next February will be both my kids.
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Markburn1
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2015

Was in Truckee yesterday. The wife and I were in a clothing shop. I looked over and she was looking at baby clothes. There were tears in her eyes. She says to me, "We don't have any little people to buy for anymore." Didn't know what to say.

My youngest grandchild starts kindergarten in about a week and a half.

As an aside, if you get a chance, take the Amtrak from Sacramento to Reno. Spectacular. If you want to enhance the experience, read "Nothing Like It In The World" by Stephen Ambrose. It's about the men who built the transcontinental railroad. If you are on that train and you have read the book, you will think it incomprehensible how they managed to defeat the Sierras and build the road.

Comment

• DZ
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
              Was in Truckee yesterday. The wife and I were in a clothing shop. I looked over and she was looking at baby clothes. There were tears in her eyes. She says to me, "We don't have any little people to buy for anymore." Didn't know what to say.

My youngest grandchild starts kindergarten in about a week and a half.

As an aside, if you get a chance, take the Amtrak from Sacramento to Reno. Spectacular. If you want to enhance the experience, read "Nothing Like It In The World" by Stephen Ambrose. It's about the men who built the transcontinental railroad. If you are on that train and you have read the book, you will think it incomprehensible how they managed to defeat the Sierras and build the road.
              We took Amtrack from SLC to Denver once. It was breathtaking. I wouldn't compare the two bc both must be.

Congrats to ALL who have posted, this is exactly what I had in mind. I hope each of you enjoy it.
              Mark Twain.

Comment

• DZ
                Zag for Life
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                Legally being able to drink with your own children. Which, as of next February will be both my kids.
                A bonding moment. Especially since your passion is brewing, and you can have them compare taste out with dinner.
                Mark Twain.

Comment

• DZ
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by GPGUgrad View Post
                  agree.

One of my nieces just graduated from GU and luckily got a job in Seattle as an engineer.
                  She just moved to Seattle last weekend.

Gosh, I remember when she was born and I held her as a baby in Vegas.....
                  all these women kept coming over to me and were telling me: "What a cute baby!"

That was the time when they imploded the Aladdin Hotel.

We went to see the blowing up of the hotel..... but, we didn't realize that once the Aladdin Hotel started to come down....
                  well, all this dust and crud started going everywhere.

and we had to get the heck out of there pronto
                  we were actually running as we pushed her on the stroller
                  trying to avoid the huge dust cloud headed our way.
                  Seems like yesterday we held her hours after birth.

But, again, that's why I enjoy every single day and don't look back with longing.
                  Mark Twain.

Comment

• DZ
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                    Congrats!! Great school
                    Mark Twain.

Comment

• TheZagPhish
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Mrs. Phish and I spent last week in a neuro observation room at Swedish in Seattle. For those of you who remember, this is the same test she "failed" last year as her team discovered that her heart stopped during seizure events. With a pacer in place this year, there was no fear of that problem and the test was completed as planned.

Our milestone was realized as her neuro team discovered that her seizures originate in an entirely different region of her brain than previously thought; back-right, not front-left. It is a small distinction, but it took more than thirty years to really pin down and means an entirely different approach. Surgery is still a possibility, but new courses of medicine could also add up to a solution in the interim. Here's hoping.
                      Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• kitzbuel
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TheZagPhish View Post
                        Mrs. Phish and I spent last week in a neuro observation room at Swedish in Seattle. For those of you who remember, this is the same test she "failed" last year as her team discovered that her heart stopped during seizure events. With a pacer in place this year, there was no fear of that problem and the test was completed as planned.

Our milestone was realized as her neuro team discovered that her seizures originate in an entirely different region of her brain than previously thought; back-right, not front-left. It is a small distinction, but it took more than thirty years to really pin down and means an entirely different approach. Surgery is still a possibility, but new courses of medicine could also add up to a solution in the interim. Here's hoping.
                        First of all, I am glad you are hopeful about her outcome moving forward. Secondly, it is phenomenal what science lets us now learn about ourselves. I find this amazing.

Praying for the best.
                        'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                        - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• DZ
                          Zag for Life
                          • Sep 2007

I cannot help but think this is wonderful news, despite realizing the pain you as a couple have gone through with this.

As you know better than most, few appreciate the difficulty like me. I have two foci, but mine are in the right frontal lobe, that center famous for left-handedness, depression, creativity, word smithing, and a lot of stupid impulsivity with good intentions. Me to a T, and I have TWO.

But, I never suffered the fear y'all did, and I am so encouraged, for you. Hang in there, bro.
                          Mark Twain.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                            • Feb 2007

Good news. Prayers for you and your family.
                            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Pallet
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Not quite the milestone probably intended by Dixie, but about two weeks ago we celebrated the life of my brother. A surprising amount of people came, some who hadn't been to our hometown in a decade, but it showed how much of an impact one person can have on so many others. There were some great stories shared and reminded us that a 'family' can be bigger than we think.

Comment

Working...
                              X