Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MIlestone Marker

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    We got my son a new car over the summer... he drove himself up to Binghamton yesterday... alone. Managed to run into a serious rainstorm in the process.

I felt like i was on the trip with him as he called me about a dozen times... missed turnoff to go north to take NY Rt 17 and instead ended up in traffic hell on the Cross Bronx... should he take the upper or lower level on the GWB... can he set his cruise control faster because he was going 68 in a 65 and EVERYONE was flying by him (told him no more than 72)... should he stop to go to the bathroom only to be told he could probably make it without going... 10 minutes later, telling me he was going to stop... letting me know when he got to Pennsylvania... that he was 15 miles south of Scranton and that it was raining buckets and asking me when it might end... that the rain let up... and when he gets there... he calls his MOM!!! I was point of contact the whole trip and he calls his mom when he gets there. Honestly didn't mind. Rather have that than no calls at all.
    Great story, well told, and definitely a milemarker in his life, and yours.

Take heart in the phone call to Mom. I think it shows that the kid hit the sweet spot in showing equal affection for both parents. Beep underlying trust that Dad's there, knows that mom probably worries the absolute most. Not so bad, you know?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Great story, well told, and definitely a milemarker in his life, and yours.

Take heart in the phone call to Mom. I think it shows that the kid hit the sweet spot in showing equal affection for both parents. Beep underlying trust that Dad's there, knows that mom probably worries the absolute most. Not so bad, you know?
    OH I know... just kidding on that... he knew enough to call me all the way up... that is all I need.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    OH I know... just kidding on that... he knew enough to call me all the way up... that is all I need.
    Gotcha. I kind of didn't read in the obvious in that. Makes sense to kid.

Great story.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

First day of Kindergarten for Stanley. First day of 3rd grade for Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    First day of Kindergarten for Stanley. First day of 3rd grade for Grant.
    For our ONE baby, I committed myself to "not getting emotional, not shedding tears" and then promptly got there and had tears running down my cheeks.

Thank god I wasn't the only man there in such a state.

It doesn't actually HIT until you say good-bye, right? Especially if you have no practice at it, if one's only got "one" child.

BTW - might've said this before, one of the best things about the south is you get to call your child "my baby" until basically the child says "stop." It drives some northerners up the wall. I find it kind of endearing/cool.

I think I said, it's not at all unusual to go to a high school football game and hear parents and grandparents talking about "my baby plays linebacker and mows down big fast guys for lunch" - - - dunno, half laugh, and then think aww. That's what I do, at least.
    Mark Twain.

For our ONE baby, I committed myself to "not getting emotional, not shedding tears" and then promptly got there and had tears running down my cheeks.

Thank god I wasn't the only man there in such a state.

It doesn't actually HIT until you say good-bye, right? Especially if you have no practice at it, if one's only got "one" child.

BTW - might've said this before, one of the best things about the south is you get to call your child "my baby" until basically the child says "stop." It drives some northerners up the wall. I find it kind of endearing/cool.

I think I said, it's not at all unusual to go to a high school football game and hear parents and grandparents talking about "my baby plays linebacker and mows down big fast guys for lunch" - - - dunno, half laugh, and then think aww. That's what I do, at least.
    Awe, no tears this morning, he's really excited to go and since we have one more to get out the door I think that helped not set off the waterworks. The end of kindergarten was the hardest emotionally for me because we were leaving the K-8 school, it was like saying goodbye to the childhood I had and our boys just wouldn't get. That's great that your daughter's school uses that model, I'm biased in liking it, but there's also research saying it's the preferred and *best* for kids. My husband always jokes about the line from "The Simpsons" it's said sarcastic "but elementary school friendships are forever"...but really, I still stay in close contact with many of my friends from kindergarten through 8th, even if we have some missing years of going to different high schools and colleges, so some are forever.

Helped my oldest daughter apply for colleges today. Her first application?
    Gonzaga.

Tennessee is her front runner though.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Mistakes were made.....

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Helped my oldest daughter apply for colleges today. Her first application?
    Gonzaga.

Tennessee is her front runner though.
    Right on.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

First middle school football game, for which my daughter made the cheerlea…. "Dance team" as a sixth grader among many 7th and 8th graders.

Sigh.

Very mixed feelings about a sixth grade … never mind.

SHE is excited, thus I am excited for her. Making the team down here is far too important to many kids and parents, and you just have to believe me on the FAR thing bc it, well, it is insane.

My mixed feelings aside, it has increased her confidence in herself, and among her classmates. Plus, she loves to dance and be on a team of any kind.

She left just now in her uniform.

God help me. And her, she is planning to have some fun.
    Mark Twain.

No one was harmed....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    No one was harmed....
    Yet.

Me?

I have trouble with how young the whole "girl/woman" thing starts nowadays. Big part of me thinks that sixth/seventh grade are their last shot as "being kids" - they have the rest of the lives to "be grown."

Oh well.

As you said, no real harm (other than the cost!) and some gain.
    Mark Twain.

Yet.

Me?

I have trouble with how young the whole "girl/woman" thing starts nowadays. Big part of me thinks that sixth/seventh grade are their last shot as "being kids" - they have the rest of the lives to "be grown."

Oh well.

As you said, no real harm (other than the cost!) and some gain.
    I think 6th/7th is a good gauge. Some will pretend that they're more grown up and make a big deal out of reaching certain milestones first (seriously, I've even watched the moms who are clearly still "mean girls" make a big deal about kids not shaving their legs by a certain age so you know their daughters are going to be the ones harassing classmates about it and making them feel like they *need* to be less of a kid). Hopefully your daughter can avoid having those type of girls/women in her life for a long time.

First middle school football game, for which my daughter made the cheerlea…. "Dance team" as a sixth grader among many 7th and 8th graders.

Sigh.

Very mixed feelings about a sixth grade … never mind.

SHE is excited, thus I am excited for her. Making the team down here is far too important to many kids and parents, and you just have to believe me on the FAR thing bc it, well, it is insane.

My mixed feelings aside, it has increased her confidence in herself, and among her classmates. Plus, she loves to dance and be on a team of any kind.

She left just now in her uniform.

God help me. And her, she is planning to have some fun.
    My daughters both did cheer here in Virginia, and I understand how it is a big thing. You will be shelling out the bucks for a lot of uniforms, some of which don't look like the have enough material to do what they are supposed to do, let alone cost what they cost. We fortunately had a team coach who refused to have uniforms that were strapless or with exposed midriffs.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    My daughters both did cheer here in Virginia, and I understand how it is a big thing. You will be shelling out the bucks for a lot of uniforms, some of which don't look like the have enough material to do what they are supposed to do, let alone cost what they cost. We fortunately had a team coach who refused to have uniforms that were strapless or with exposed midriffs.
    I am already dreading … I knew she would make it, she's cute, bubbly, smart as fck, and thin/muscular, when many many girls down here … are not? Actually, the obesity rate down here is one of the saddest things. Kids in 3rd grade (or less) who just flat have no hope, or little hope, to grow and be healthy.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    Awe, no tears this morning, he's really excited to go and since we have one more to get out the door I think that helped not set off the waterworks. The end of kindergarten was the hardest emotionally for me because we were leaving the K-8 school, it was like saying goodbye to the childhood I had and our boys just wouldn't get. That's great that your daughter's school uses that model, I'm biased in liking it, but there's also research saying it's the preferred and *best* for kids. My husband always jokes about the line from "The Simpsons" it's said sarcastic "but elementary school friendships are forever"...but really, I still stay in close contact with many of my friends from kindergarten through 8th, even if we have some missing years of going to different high schools and colleges, so some are forever.
    My wife handled that whole thing.

Showed her how, but then we both said, "it's your body, your decision from here on out. If you ask us, we'll give you our input."

One of the most classic things my daughter said. I asked about her friends, about equal black and white. Her school is near all white (we live in a fairly wealthy area). I said, I am glad to see you reach out to everyone. You seem to have as many black friends as white, that's good. She said: "A lot of the white girls are into their cliques and constant drama. My black friends are just funnier."

Okay.
    Mark Twain.

I know absolutely nothing....zero...... about girls or women......a mystery wrapped in a enigma ….. I have not the foggiest idea what they are thinking or what they will do but they appear to be a lot smarter and stronger than men and I hope that they can take over the world as men have screwed it up so bad..... that said...

My cousin is a middle school counselor and she says that adolescent boys are unrepentant sociopaths ……. they may look like altar boys but they are more devil than angel...… in retrospect, having been a adolescent boy and having " helped" to raise a gaggle of them, I think she is right...…without close supervision ….they will become the Lord Of The Flies

Many of our Presidents have been Mama's Boys …..coincidence…..I think not....

I know absolutely nothing....zero...... about girls or women......a mystery wrapped in a enigma ….. I have not the foggiest idea what they are thinking
    Yes, you do.

they appear to be a lot smarter and stronger than men
    See?

I hope that they can take over the world as men have screwed it up so bad.
    We've certainly tried everything else.

Doesn't seem like a bad idea.

And the idea came from you, who knows more than he will ever claim.
    Mark Twain.

I know absolutely nothing....zero...... about girls or women......a mystery wrapped in a enigma ….. I have not the foggiest idea what they are thinking or what they will do but they appear to be a lot smarter and stronger...
    That's right, the women are smarter.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

*** My baby girl started sixth grade today, first official day of school down here, where as I've said before, they start early bc everyone wants to be inside anyway.

My only baby is now in middle school, even though her school is K-8. We live in the country, part of the 'Sipp that floats on oil. Thus, it is the best public school I have had the pleasure to be around. IT also allows the school to have "wings" - The K-2 "Wing" and the "3-5" wing, and the 6-8 wing.

Sadness, AND excitement. Every single time I long for the days when she was 5, I remind myself she will be 18 in six weeks, and enjoy the hell out of these days.

One great thing about living in the south, when you're a parent, you get to call your children your "babies" until you die.

That is why a proud grandmother will clap and cheer her "baby" at a high school football game.

Some find it sickening. I find it endearing, and loving.
    My daughter started 6th grade today!
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    My daughter started 6th grade today!
    Wow, congrats, it is a fun age. (They all are, but this one is really fun. Last shot at being a kid.)

I like that we start so early here. The extra month allows them to take a full week "fall break" as well as 2 weeks at Christmas, Spring break, and they get out fairly early.

Besides, high today is 99, 100 tomorrow. They need to be in school now In early Nov (fall break) they will want to be outside, 75 degrees.
    Mark Twain.