• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MDABE80
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Joey Bracket: ESPN Bracetology..Zags a 2 seed in Spokane

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

I may have missed this from the 24th. I looked back to see it had not been posted.

Anyway, Zags a 2. But for once in Spokane. If this was posted, remove it.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 07-31-2019, 02:41 PM.
  • ZagaZags
    Banned
    • May 2010

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...l/bracketology
    I may have missed this from the 24th. I looked back to see it had been posted.

Anyway, Zags a 2. But for once in Spokane. If this was posted, remove it.
    That would be awesome. The day will come when Gonzaga gets the Spokane Region. I hope it happens this season.

Comment

• zagdontzig
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2016

5 years ago, being in Spokane would’ve mattered. I don’t think we’re really a first round out anymore though.
      Originally posted by Reborn
      Go Zags!!!
      Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagdontzig View Post
        5 years ago, being in Spokane would’ve mattered. I don’t think we’re really a first round out anymore though.
        That peril never dissipates; eg UVa.

Comment

• DZ
          Zag for Life
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
          Yeah, I keep worrying about getting bit by "reality" any year now.

Not our guys' or coaches' fault so much as get a hot team in the first or second round and some guys that are off and looking to the Final Four a bit too much, and snap, reality. UVA.
          Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
          Mark Twain.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
            Yeah, I keep worrying about getting bit by "reality" any year now.

Not our guys' or coaches' fault so much as get a hot team in the first or second round and some guys that are off and looking to the Final Four a bit too much, and snap, reality. UVA.
            You mean "Shocked?"

Comment

• DZ
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

You mean "Shocked?"
              They more than made up for that lately. What is our streak now? 4-5x SS or better?

And it turned out to be far less shocking than we thought at the time. That was one good team.
              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
              Mark Twain.

Comment

• NotoriousZ
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                They more than made up for that lately. What is our streak now? 4-5x SS or better?

And it turned out to be far less shocking than we thought at the time. That was one good team.
                Five sweet sixteens in a row, and three of those were elite eights or better.

2015 E8
                2016 S16
                2017 Finalist (and first Final Four)
                2018 S16
                2019 E8

It would amazing if this young team could keep the streak going. Getting enough quality wins to land the Spokane pod would be huge.
                It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

• Reborn
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

Good to see Oregon ranked 7th and Seton Hall 6th. I'd love to play Oregon in the tournament at the Bahamas. It's also good to see St Mary's at #5 and the UW at #11. Also Arizona is #4 which will make the game with them pretty exciting. And then of course we have North Carolina who's ranked #2. The young Zags will certainly be tested early this year.
                  Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• LTownZag
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                    Good to see Oregon ranked 7th and Seton Hall 6th. I'd love to play Oregon in the tournament at the Bahamas. It's also good to see St Mary's at #5 and the UW at #11. Also Arizona is #4 which will make the game with them pretty exciting. And then of course we have North Carolina who's ranked #2. The young Zags will certainly be tested early this year.
                    These aren't rankings these are projected seedings for a tournament to take place 8 months and one full season away from now.

For reference, here's a preseason bracket from last season - Note that Virginia (best team in the country and national champs, an eventual repeating #1 seed an no "surprise" last year) was predicted to share a seed line with Oregon, Nevada, and Kansas State.

Comment

• Reborn
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
                      These aren't rankings these are projected seedings for a tournament to take place 8 months and one full season away from now.

For reference, here's a preseason bracket from last season - Note that Virginia (best team in the country and national champs, an eventual repeating #1 seed an no "surprise" last year) was predicted to share a seed line with Oregon, Nevada, and Kansas State.
                      To each his own, LTownZag: I know enough about what's going on in the basketball world to know that the ranking by Joey Brackets, is not the ranking that's done in the AP and Coaches polls, or the ranking done by other ranking systems. I see no harm in calling the brackets a ranking system. Any ranking system is merely a means of communicating how someone feels about good teams are. Ranking systems always go from top to bottom, from 1 to whatever the bottom numbers are. And that's what Joey does. He's devised a system to communicate to basketball fans who he thinks the best teams are. He ranks Gonzaga in the top ten. And more explicitly in the top 8, and most likely he ranks Gonzaga at #6 because Mr Lunardi ranks teams from left to right. So Gonzaga is was put as the second team ranked in the #2 seeds.....Thought you might enjoy my thinking. I can see that you're not too excited about the brackets. Some aren't. But some are. I've always enjoyed them, and imo Lunardi isn't usually too far off. I also enjoy seeing Gonzaga ranked high.
                      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• zagdontzig
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2016

It was bound to happen, I just didn't want the Zags to be the first, or only for that matter.
                        Originally posted by Reborn
                        Go Zags!!!
                        Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• LTownZag
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                          I've always enjoyed them, and imo Lunardi isn't usually too far off. I also enjoy seeing Gonzaga ranked high.
                          Do you have access or links to past years' ESPN preseason brackets? I'm curious if your opinion about Lunardi is reflected by reality.

Comment

• GoZags
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Do you have access or links to past years' ESPN preseason brackets? I'm curious if your opinion about Lunardi is reflected by reality.
                            If you are curious about something, go ahead and look it up yourself rather than asking others to do the work to satisfy your curiosity. It certainly appears that you enjoy calling out board members if there's something they post that doesn't tie directly to your thinking.

And btw I don't know anyone who would "collect" and "save" Lunardi's musings year after year after year. But again ... if that's something you want to know .... go ahead and look it up and share your findings with the Board.
                            sigpic
                            “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                            ——-
                            List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                            Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                              Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                              • Feb 2007

Lunardi is not predicting a #2 seed in Spokane as something that will occur next march. Lunardi is saying that if the selection committee was to assign seeds TODAY, this is how he thinks they would play out.
                              You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

Working...
                              X