• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SkipZag
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2015

Who’s Going to Start in Europe...

As usual, things are slow in the summer... so to spark up a little talk: who’s going to start in Europe?

I have my thoughts but will wait to see what others think before posting...

Cheers...

Go Zags!!
  • SkipZag
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2015

Okay...

I think most have their thoughts on who is going to start the season... but as Jill heals who’s going to get some fill-in time?

Starters in Europe... 1 JL 2 KC 3 LF 4 LW 5 JW. I also think we will see some time from the bench...

Go Zags!!

Comment

• ZagDad84
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2014

I think it depends on how Jill is healing.

CLF is known for starting the players who have put in their time, regardless if they are the best (in the opinion of the Monday morning quarterbacks) players.

Skip, interesting moving LF to the #3. I think this could work well, but with JT, JW, KG and maybe even EH, that could play the #3, I think playing time at the #3 will be tough to come by.

Starters in Europe: #1=JL, #2= KC, #3= JT (if healthy otherwise LF), #4=JW AND #5=LW. LW plays more inside than JW and JW is more comfortable outside, but either Wirth can play either position.

I would be surprised, if any of the starters play much more than 20 mpg. With Anna, EH, KG and the Truong twins, needing playing time to get integrated into the Zag game, I would expect they would play much more in Europe than they will during the OOC games. The Truong twins most notably need to be up to speed come the regular season to spell JL and KC, so expect to see them individually and together quite a bit during this trip.

ZagDad

Comment

• ZagDad84
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2014

I saw an article about the Lady Zag's trip to Europe (can't find it again) where JT says she hopes to get to play a few minutes in each game.

JT is on the mend but appears not fully ready to play.

ZagDad

Comment

• SkipZag
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2015

As much as JT would love to play in Europe I hope she holds tough and helps the new players.

We still have a couple of months before the start of the season and that”s needed mend time... I still wish she took the year off.

Looking at this years roster, we have at least 5 players that need game time to get them to the level of good support players worthy of time on the court during the season. These players are very talented but need the D1 experience to play at a level that like last year showed very little drop off in play.

As we know Coach Green coaches the 2/3 guards... in GU’s offense they are pretty interchangeable. That’s why having LF at a 3 shouldn’t be a problem... infact needs to be done for rotation and replacement.

Question: Will this trip be good for Europion recruitment?

Go Zags!!

Comment

• Zaglaw
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

My starting lineup:

KC
            JL
            JW
            LW
            LF

Although, I wouldn't be surprised to see AV in the mix. I would have JT in instead of LF if she were ready, but it looks like she still needs a bit more time. I doubt if she or the coaches will want to risk using her too much too early.

Comment

• SkipZag
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2015

The thing about this year again, is that we haven’t got the JB player that everyone needs to feed... which is okay by me. The players are all great on this years team and very diverse in play... as some have said, matching up with the opponent is important. I have always agreed with CLF’s view of starting the upper class... but with the different types of players on this year’s team, the first half of the season should be seeing the options. To add to that, I always look at the pluses and minuses. If you are trying to defend against a player, are you giving up some offense with who you are putting in. You always need to make a move that still puts your team in command of the game.

JT... a comment she made in this weeks (great) article that stuck out to me was her concern with some of her moves and the impact it might have on her injury... the team needs her but not until she is physically and mentally ready...
              I know she wants to get back to it...(which we all love about her) but please be smart.

Leadership... we had a great senior class last year that the players looked up to... time for JL and KC to step up (they had some great examples last year)

Last... we and the players are really lucky to have a coaching staff that has stayed with the program... says a lot.

Go Zags!!

Comment

• GonzaGAW
                Zag for Life
                • Aug 2012

- a little help would be appreciated, I know some of the initials but not all.
                - maybe a first initial and last name, or vice versa
                - or maybe I should just print out a team roster, nevermind.

Comment

• ZagDad84
                  Zag for Life
                  • Dec 2014

Originally posted by GonzaGAW View Post
                  - a little help would be appreciated, I know some of the initials but not all.
                  - maybe a first initial and last name, or vice versa
                  - or maybe I should just print out a team roster, nevermind.
                  Thanks for visiting the lighter side GonzaGAW.

You might stay around a while, we don't bite, usually

ZagDad

Comment

• GonzaGAW
                    Zag for Life
                    • Aug 2012

- thanks zagdad
                    - compared to the men's forum, indeed any biting over here is few and far between.

- I should visit more often, embarrassed to say especially since I have been a women's season ticket holder the past 8 years.
                    - but even so, I'm still initials challenged (women or men forums)

- still no roster in hand, but can piece together j.l. is Jessie loera, the wirth twins and k.c. is Katie campbell

Comment

• ZagDad84
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2014

Here is your initials primer GonzaGAW:

CLF = Coach Lisa Fortier
                      JL = Jessie Loera
                      KC = Katie Campbell
                      JT = Jill Townsend
                      JW = Jenn Wirth
                      LW = LeeAnne Wirth
                      LF = Louise Forsyth
                      MK = Melody Kempton
                      KG = Kylee Griffen
                      GB = Gillian Barfield
                      AV = Anna = Anamaria Virjoghe
                      EH = Eliza Hollingsworth
                      Truong Twins = Kayleigh Truong and Kaylynne Truong (the board has not come up with what initials to use on these freshman)
                      CW = Cierra Walker (will sit out this year as a transfer)

Recent Grads you may see referenced:

LS = Laura Stockton
                      CS = Chandler Smith
                      ZR = "Z" = Zee = Zykera Rice
                      JB = Jill Barta

Join in, the water is warm,

ZagDad
                      Last edited by ZagDad84; 08-08-2019, 01:16 AM.

Comment

• Zagineer
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by ZagDad84 View Post

......Truong Twins = Kayleigh Truong and Kaylynne Truong (the board has not come up with what initials to use on these freshman)
                        CW = Cierra Walker (will sit out this year as a transfer).....

I've been thinking about this for some time now. It would be easy if they both had middle names that begin with a different letter. But I have not been successful in finding out their middle names from multiple searches on the internet.

Since the first 4 letters of their first names are the same, we would have to go to the 5th letter to distinguish between them (ET and LT). But the 5th letter alone is so far removed from the beginning of their first names, it seems to me that it would be hard to recognize and make the mental connection while reading a written post. (Maybe its just me and everyone is o.k. with it.)

As an alternative for consideration, we could use a three-letter abbreviation for Kayleigh and Kaylynne as follows:

Kayleigh Truong - KET

Kaylynne Truong - KYT

I'm open for any and all better ideas.

GO ZAGS!

Comment

• Zagineer
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2008

Back to the OP.......

I find it difficult to argue against SkipZag'2 Post #2, except, I agree with ZD's post #3 in putting LW at the 5 spot.

As a spin-off question to the OP, "At the end of the 3-game Trip (for a total of 600 player-minutes), how many minutes will go to each of the 14 players?"

Given the format and the "once in a lifetime opportunity" this trip is for the players, I would hope that every player returns with minutes (or at least a minute) from all three games.

Question: Given that this is classified as an overseas tournament that the NCAA allows to be taken only once in a 4 year time frame, is CW able to play without impacting here red shirt sit-out year? I assume (but do not know for certain) that she is able to accompany the team, but not able to play.

Here's my guess (without a whole lot of thought put into it..) as to the distribution of the 600 available player-minutes.

Min Player
                          75 - JL = Jessie Loera
                          45 - tbd1 = Kayleigh Truong

75 - KC = Katie Campbell
                          45 - tbd2 = Kaylynne Truong

60 - LF = Louise Forsyth
                          50 - KG = Kylee Griffen
                          10 - JT = Jill Townsend (Assuming that she is not yet ready to go)

60 - JW = Jenn Wirth
                          40 - MK = Melody Kempton
                          20 - GB = Gillian Barfield

60 - LW = LeeAnne Wirth
                          40 - AV = Anamaria Virjoghe (Could be even higher, with her European experience)
                          20 - EH = Eliza Hollingsworth

CW = Cierra Walker (Assuming she is not eligible to play)

Edit Comment.
                          After reading my post above, I could also see the minutes being distributed more equally among the players than what I am showing above. I think it will all depend on how the three games are going. My minute distribution above has the "CLF Factor" included. That is, she tends to go with a good dose of experience on the floor at all times.

Comment

• GonzaGAW
                            Zag for Life
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by ZagDad84 View Post
                            Here is your initials primer GonzaGAW:

CLF = Coach Lisa Fortier
                            JL = Jessie Loera
                            KC = Katie Campbell
                            JT = Jill Townsend
                            JW = Jenn Wirth
                            LW = LeeAnne Wirth
                            LF = Louise Forsyth
                            MK = Melody Kempton
                            KG = Kylee Griffen
                            GB = Gillian Barfield
                            AV = Anna = Anamaria Virjoghe
                            EH = Eliza Hollingsworth
                            Truong Twins = Kayleigh Truong and Kaylynne Truong (the board has not come up with what initials to use on these freshman)
                            CW = Cierra Walker (will sit out this year as a transfer)

Recent Grads you may see referenced:

LS = Laura Stockton
                            CS = Chandler Smith
                            ZR = "Z" = Zee = Zykera Rice
                            JB = Jill Barta

Join in, the water is warm,

ZagDad
                            - thanks, have it printed and at hand.
                            - always knew clf was the coach, but could never figure out what the c stood for.......told you, initial challenged.

- to the question at hand, who does coach start?
                            - I think there is a consensus building that Katie, Jessie, jenn and leeanne are near locks.
                            - I'm not prepared to agree that louise is the fifth starter.
                            - I could see anyone of the truong sisters, melody or anna impressing coach and earning a nod.

- my hope is we are deep, like last year and coach rotates players in and out often, all game long, like she did last year. I really liked that we had something like 9 players with 12 or more minutes a game.

Comment

• ZagDad84
                              Zag for Life
                              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Zagineer View Post
                              As a spin-off question to the OP, "At the end of the 3-game Trip (for a total of 600 player-minutes), how many minutes will go to each of the 14 players?"

Given the format and the "once in a lifetime opportunity" this trip is for the players, I would hope that every player returns with minutes (or at least a minute) from all three games.

Question: Given that this is classified as an overseas tournament that the NCAA allows to be taken only once in a 4 year time frame, is CW able to play without impacting here red shirt sit-out year? I assume (but do not know for certain) that she is able to accompany the team, but not able to play.

Here's my guess (without a whole lot of thought put into it..) as to the distribution of the 600 available player-minutes.

Min Player
                              75 - JL = Jessie Loera
                              45 - tbd1 = Kayleigh Truong

75 - KC = Katie Campbell
                              45 - tbd2 = Kaylynne Truong

60 - LF = Louise Forsyth
                              50 - KG = Kylee Griffen

60 - JW = Jenn Wirth
                              40 - MK = Melody Kempton

60 - LW = LeeAnne Wirth
                              40 - AV = Anamaria Virjoghe (Could be even higher, with her European experience)
                              20 - EH = Eliza Hollingsworth

Edit Comment.
                              After reading my post above, I could also see the minutes being distributed more equally among the players than what I am showing above. I think it will all depend on how the three games are going. My minute distribution above has the "CLF Factor" included. That is, she tends to go with a good dose of experience on the floor at all times.
                              I think most would agree that CLF strongly desires to "win" games to get her team into the right mindset for the Out Of Conference (OOC) and conference schedules. IMO, sometimes this leads CLF to leaving her "experienced" players in during crunch time even when the less experienced players have been having a better game. I think CLF's mindset on the outcome of the game may determine how much the starters play and how much experience she wants the reserves to get on this road trip.

I feel there are many factors that will come into play. First and foremost, you don't want anybody to get hurt. If the opposition is being very physical, get your starters out, no need to get anybody hurt. Europe, in general, does not A/C their facilities anywhere close to the U.S., thus it is very unlikely the gyms will be air conditioned to 65-68 Deg. It likely will be 75-80 Deg. in the gyms they are playing and it will be humid. The games will be very tiring and draining on the lady zags legs. We are very short of guards, particularly with the status of JT undetermined. It will be imperative that the Truong twins, LF and KG get time on the court, particularly the Truong twins who do not have any collegiate experience. The above being said, here is my best guess on playing time.

Min Player
                              65 - JL = Jessie Loera
                              55 - tbd1 = Kayleigh Truong

65 - KC = Katie Campbell
                              55 - tbd2 = Kaylynne Truong

60 - LF = Louise Forsyth
                              50 - KG = Kylee Griffen

50 - JW = Jenn Wirth
                              45 - MK = Melody Kempton

50 - LW = LeeAnne Wirth
                              45 - AV = Anamaria Virjoghe
                              30 - EH = Eliza Hollingsworth

ZagDad

Comment

Working...
                              X