Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LONG Nightmare Near Over

Default LONG Nightmare Near Over

The torturous period that follows the NBA finals, and somewhat U.S. Open golf tournament, and the first games of football is near - blessedly - over.

God has smiled upon us all, it would appear.

It was so bad that I had to resort to the love of my youth, the Edmonton Eskimos in the CFL (they lost) when it was on ESPN 2 a month ago.

Now, the Hall of Fame game - certainly not worth watching, is fast approaching, and then another 3-4 weeks and college football season begins in earnest.

Share the love, this horrid godless period is near over.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    The torturous period that follows the NBA finals, and somewhat U.S. Open golf tournament, and the first games of football is near - blessedly - over.

God has smiled upon us all, it would appear.

It was so bad that I had to resort to the love of my youth, the Edmonton Eskimos in the CFL (they lost) when it was on ESPN 2 a month ago.

Now, the Hall of Fame game - certainly not worth watching, is fast approaching, and then another 3-4 weeks and college football season begins in earnest.

Share the love, this horrid godless period is near over.
    The boys (husband included) want to go to a soccer game, the only thing that will get me into the stadium is the $1 beers before kickoff (is that even what it's called?!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    The boys (husband included) want to go to a soccer game, the only thing that will get me into the stadium is the $1 beers before kickoff (is that even what it's called?!)
    Don’t sell it short. I’ve been to every kind of sporting event in all kinds of venues. Soccer is right at the top of the list for excitement.

My son was at UC San Diego for his freshman year and was trying to adjust as all kids do. The US National team was playing a friendly at USD so I bought four tickets for him. He took some new friends and had a blast. He called me at halftime and was crazy excited. Later that year the national team was at PAC Bell Park in SF and I went. Rarely sat down. Fun as heck.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Don’t sell it short. I’ve been to every kind of sporting event in all kinds of venues. Soccer is right at the top of the list for excitement.

My son was at UC San Diego for his freshman year and was trying to adjust as all kids do. The US National team was playing a friendly at USD so I bought four tickets for him. He took some new friends and had a blast. He called me at halftime and was crazy excited. Later that year the national team was at PAC Bell Park in SF and I went. Rarely sat down. Fun as heck.
    If we go I want to get tickets near the rowdy fans, that way even if the game isn't exciting (the one we went to before wasn't)...the fans should be interesting to watch.

If we go I want to get tickets near the rowdy fans, that way even if the game isn't exciting (the one we went to before wasn't)...the fans should be interesting to watch.
    Haha. Keep your head down. Soccer hooligans have faulty wiring.

I won't necessarily "sell it short" - I will simply sell it far lower than football, American football, since we need the qualifier when discussing soccer.

I will admit that when there is a big game on the line, like the World Cup, and the U.S. is in the hunt, it is exciting. We just cannot count upon that to take up the period in the summers. The women's team did their job, yet we still have 6 months, amirite?

So, time to tee it up.

College football is the best.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I like just about every sport. I love to watch a good soccer game just as much as I love watching my Seahawks. TBPH... NFL games can get just as boring, if not more, than a slow paced soccer game... but I love them both.

Classic story via a friend. He was over in Seattle for a sounders game about 6 or 7 years ago. He and his dad parked over near Pyramid and then walked up to Pioneer Square to have dinner before the game... they walked by a bunch of guys with a full half-barrel keg in the back to the truck (about 8-10 of them to be exact)... they were pounding away. He and his dad chatted with them for a bit and moved on to dinner. As they walked back for the game, they came across same said gentlmen... they asked how the keg was going... their response was that they had finished it about 20 minutes prior. Yes... over a gallon of beer each before heading into the game.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Maybe they were generous with passserbys? Haha

I don't know that there are any real soccer hooligans at their games, the end zone people just seem to enjoy the pageantry of it ...I think the non end zone crowd is there mostly to let their kids watch or admire the city skyline lol.

I don't know that there are any real soccer hooligans at their games, the end zone people just seem to enjoy the pageantry of it ...I think the non end zone crowd is there mostly to let their kids watch or admire the city skyline lol.
    Per my friend... umm.. no... definitely that keg was all them... Sloshed he said was an understatement.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I went to Sounders Timber game last week. It was awesome. I had not been to a soccer game before. I had a blast. I usually only watch world cup, but I could get into MLS. I saw a huge parade of Sounders fans who were using the F word and had all kinds of songs about Portland. I was thinking I have never seen anything like this for a basketball, football, or baseball game. The game itself was really good too except for all the crybaby Timbers players constantly faking injuries. That is my least favorite part of soccer. If I were the ref I would give the player a choice - leave the field or take a yellow card.

As for the OP, this is the time of year to go outside and enjoy the weather. I'm ok with not having sports to watch. I would normally have a mariners game on the radio while chilling on my deck in the evenings, but they are so terrible I can't really stomach them. I used to watch or listen to nearly all of their games no matter how putrid, but I don't enjoy baseball nearly as much as I used to enjoy it.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I went to Sounders Timber game last week. It was awesome. I had not been to a soccer game before. I had a blast. I usually only watch world cup, but I could get into MLS. I saw a huge parade of Sounders fans who were using the F word and had all kinds of songs about Portland. I was thinking I have never seen anything like this for a basketball, football, or baseball game. The game itself was really good too except for all the crybaby Timbers players constantly faking injuries. That is my least favorite part of soccer. If I were the ref I would give the player a choice - leave the field or take a yellow card.

As for the OP, this is the time of year to go outside and enjoy the weather. I'm ok with not having sports to watch. I would normally have a mariners game on the radio while chilling on my deck in the evenings, but they are so terrible I can't really stomach them. I used to watch or listen to nearly all of their games no matter how putrid, but I don't enjoy baseball nearly as much as I used to enjoy it.
    Yeah, except if you live where I live, it ain't the time to be out enjoying the weather. They have HS football practices starting in a week, and I believe some of them start at 6:00 a.m., just to be safe. There have been deaths here, of athletic high school kids, it's not something to play around with.

The soccer games - especially Seattle/Portland (and I hear they're none too fond of Vancouver, either) would be awesome if one were a real fan.

I am with LIZF in that if the NFL game is one that one doesn't care too much about, then it can be boring. If you have a "team" then those games are exciting.

I like games played in weather, games on real grass, all that stuff.

And, part of why I like college football so much is that the kids care FAR more about the games. A quote I read from an NFL player was something like "I knew I was in the pros when after a loss, guys were mad for about 10 minutes, then talking about where to go to dinner. In college, guys would be crying, not wanting to do anything for three days."

I am sure I botched the quote, but you get what I mean. The games "feel" more exciting, at least to me.
    Mark Twain.

The most fun I ever had at an MLB game was sitting in the bleachers for a Giants game. I heard the funniest shouts to players that even had the outfielders (on the opposing team) laughing and looking back.
    Mark Twain.

Yeah, except if you live where I live, it ain't the time to be out enjoying the weather. They have HS football practices starting in a week, and I believe some of them start at 6:00 a.m., just to be safe. There have been deaths here, of athletic high school kids, it's not something to play around with.

The soccer games - especially Seattle/Portland (and I hear they're none too fond of Vancouver, either) would be awesome if one were a real fan.

I am with LIZF in that if the NFL game is one that one doesn't care too much about, then it can be boring. If you have a "team" then those games are exciting.

I like games played in weather, games on real grass, all that stuff.

And, part of why I like college football so much is that the kids care FAR more about the games. A quote I read from an NFL player was something like "I knew I was in the pros when after a loss, guys were mad for about 10 minutes, then talking about where to go to dinner. In college, guys would be crying, not wanting to do anything for three days."

I am sure I botched the quote, but you get what I mean. The games "feel" more exciting, at least to me.
    good point, there is a large part of the country that does not enjoy the summer
    Bring back the OCC

The most fun I ever had at an MLB game was sitting in the bleachers for a Giants game. I heard the funniest shouts to players that even had the outfielders (on the opposing team) laughing and looking back.
    Was at Candlestick Park a loooonnnnggg time ago when I was a teenager. They used to have these things called doubleheader’s. In between games I was at the rail on the third base line watching Jack Billingham warm up for the second game. The year before he had a heckuva year but he was 0-5 to begin the season. Everyone was giving him poop telling him what 0-6 was going to feel like. When he was almost tuned up I yelled out, “Hey Billingham, you want my autograph?” Everything stopped. The guys in the pen all looked my way. Some were half smiling. Billingham was shooting daggers. A coach walked over to me and said Jack has a couple warmup pitches left. He suggested I get a hotdog or one of them would end up in my ear.

Jack was 1-5 after that start. Haha.

Was at Candlestick Park a loooonnnnggg time ago when I was a teenager. They used to have these things called doubleheader’s. In between games I was at the rail on the third base line watching Jack Billingham warm up for the second game. The year before he had a heckuva year but he was 0-5 to begin the season. Everyone was giving him poop telling him what 0-6 was going to feel like. When he was almost tuned up I yelled out, “Hey Billingham, you want my autograph?” Everything stopped. The guys in the pen all looked my way. Some were half smiling. Billingham was shooting daggers. A coach walked over to me and said Jack has a couple warmup pitches left. He suggested I get a hotdog or one of them would end up in my ear.

I was at a Sunday afternoon game, "getaway day" when they often have bench players play. The left fielder was not the usual starter. People were shouting that the usual starter was hitting .240 and yet "You can't get in the line-up!! Damn that's awful!!" and he was giggling. Then on a drive to the fence, he fell down (anyone would have, seemed like) and boy did he hear about you. "You fall down, player X, you fall down! We all fall down!! But you fall down in front of US!!" And at that point he was laughing so hard he turned and smiled.

Got to admit, he got more respect from the fans for laughing than he would have by taking it all personally.
    Mark Twain.

Billingham!!? That was a looooooooong time ago. Was signed by the Dodgers out of HS in Florida in '61. Played for the Spokane Indians in '66 & '67.

Won 19 games 2 years in a row for the Big Red Machine, so he didn't always stink, Mark'!
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

And if you're really bored, check out the BYU Board.

Apparently Coach Pope has hired a new analytics guy whose last name is Bubes.

Some pretty funny stuff over there.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Billingham!!? That was a looooooooong time ago. Was signed by the Dodgers out of HS in Florida in '61. Played for the Spokane Indians in '66 & '67.

Won 19 games 2 years in a row for the Big Red Machine, so he didn't always stink, Mark'!
    I haven't thought about that story for years. Just looked it up on Baseball-reference. Jack kicked the Giants butts that game. Guess I pissed him off. Haha.

Here's the box....https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...97205162.shtml

Speaking of football …

Heard on the radio that a judge in New Orleans ordered 3 refs and Roger Goodell to answer subpoenas for depositions in a lawsuit for the "blown call" (if you don't know of the "blown call," you don't know New Orleans Saints football and who should have been in the Super Bowl).

The moral? Don't blow calls in states that are notorious for … helping out the locals?

Actually, the lawsuit was filed by an attorney who is seeking $75,000 in damages to be granted to charity (though he didn't say whether or not if attorney's fees are awarded, whether they might not be kept).

I have NO idea on what basis this suit is filed, and have a hard time believing it wasn't thrown out. But, any time Roger Goodell is held to account by mere mortals is a good thing.
    Mark Twain.

"The moral? Don't blow calls in states that are notorious for … helping out the locals?

Actually, the lawsuit was filed by an attorney who is seeking $75,000 in damages to be granted to charity (though he didn't say whether or not if attorney's fees are awarded, whether they might not be kept).

I have NO idea on what basis this suit is filed, and have a hard time believing it wasn't thrown out. But, any time Roger Goodell is held to account by mere mortals is a good thing.[/QUOTE]

Goodell should go Christian on the complainant and offer double to settle. Make light of it and contribute to the charity. Confess that nobody is perfect.

If any man will sue you at the law, and take away your coat, let him have your cloak also. Matthew 5:40
    Last edited by Markburn1; 07-29-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Football is an endlessly fascinating game. Two deep zones, trap plays , three wideout sets, defensive stunts, tight end screens, shotguns, secondary reads, draws, man to man, spies, pulling guards, corner blitzes...

350 pound nose tackles, guys that can throw the ball fifty yards in the air and hit the hands of a world class sprinter in stride, 250 pound linebackers that have the body fat of a runway model, 280 pound pass rushers that run like gazelles and biceps the size of a normal mans thighs, running backs that stop on a dime, cut back against the grain and accelerate to max speed in the blink of an eye, etc.

And I don’t watch it anymore. The long term health effects on these men is horrific. I know I’m in the minority here but I just can’t. Watching makes me uncomfortable, especially when I see guys hitting instead of tackling and seeing fans cheer when someone gets blown up.

Sorry for this. It’s just the way I feel.

Football is an endlessly fascinating game. Two deep zones, trap plays , three wideout sets, defensive stunts, tight end screens, shotguns, secondary reads, draws, man to man, spies, pulling guards, corner blitzes...

350 pound nose tackles, guys that can throw the ball fifty yards in the air and hit the hands of a world class sprinter in stride, 250 pound linebackers that have the body fat of a runway model, 280 pound pass rushers that run like gazelles and biceps the size of a normal mans thighs, running backs that stop on a dime, cut back against the grain and accelerate to max speed in the blink of an eye, etc.

And I don’t watch it anymore. The long term health effects on these men is horrific. I know I’m in the minority here but I just can’t. Watching makes me uncomfortable, especially when I see guys hitting instead of tackling and seeing fans cheer when someone gets blown up.

I quit watching too, probably 7 or 8 years ago at this point. The health issues as well as the domestic violence (possibly stemming from the mental health side effects of the game) really made me turn my back on it at the pro level initially (I'll occasionally watch a college game, but not like I used to).

I struggle with that very thing, too, just not enough to not watch. I feel horrible about that.

If you recall, I wrote something involving that, and it sort of haunted me in the back of my mind the whole time, how to explain that?

Two fav sports football and hockey both have concussion issues, though hockey seems to have less DV.
    Mark Twain.

"The moral? Don't blow calls in states that are notorious for … helping out the locals?

I have NO idea on what basis this suit is filed, and have a hard time believing it wasn't thrown out. But, any time Roger Goodell is held to account by mere mortals is a good thing.

Goodell should go Christian on the complainant and offer double to settle. Make light of it and contribute to the charity. Confess that nobody is perfect.

If any man will sue you at the law, and take away your coat, let him have your cloak also. Matthew 5:40[/QUOTE]

Not a bad thought at all. Goodell makes $50 million a year (what the hell is that like?) and he could do that like going to lunch.

Problem is, he just opened himself up to dealing with this fulltime if he were to do that.

AT least until he ran out of money, that is.
    Mark Twain.

My new favorite summer sport is Battle Bots.

The immediate appeal of BattleBots is watching robots utterly destroy each other in vicious combat, complete with mechanized hammers, spinning blades, and flamethrowers. But destruction is only one side of the coin; the construction side is just as interesting.
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...-a-battle-bot/

My kids - both robotics nerds - obsess over these tournaments as much as I obsess over Gonzaga hoops. I enjoy it, too - a bunch of 250lb. mechanized death machines destroying each other in WWE-style cage matches.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -