• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Zags Playing for Five Countries in FIBA 2019 World Cup in China

So fun! Here's the list of Zags and the countries they'll be playing for in China starting August 31:

Rosters aren't firmly set yet, so we'll have to wait and see who actually makes the cut, but this is a start.

FIBA World Cup Web Site

Rui Hachimura for Japan: Story from FIBA website says Rui will be joining Japan's team July 30 to prepare for the upcoming games: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...n-s-yudai-baba

OKYO (Japan) - The cream of the crop of Japanese basketball have finally assembled to begin their preparations for the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 in earnest.

"The players who are ready to compete with the world have gathered," said high-flying wingman Yudai Baba, who is fresh from playing in the NBA Summer League 2019 for the Dallas Mavericks.

The Akatsuki Five's training camp officially tipped off a week ago, with the main goal of getting the team ready to pose a serious challenge to their fellow World Cup Group E sides Turkey, Czech Republic and Team USA.

"We have a good mindset right now because we participated in the NBA Summer League, and we are able to enter the camp in good condition," added star guard Makoto Hiejima, who also played at the Summer League for the New Orleans Pelicans.

The 28-year-old scoring machine is expected to be one of Japan's main weapons at the World Cup along with Rui Hachimura of the Washington Wizards and naturalized center Nick Fazekas of the Kawasaki Brave Thunders.
    Meanwhile, Japan's two bona fide NBA talents, Hachimura and Yuta Watanabe, will fly in to join the team on 30 July.

As part of their World Cup build-up, Japan will face New Zealand at Chiba Port Arena on 12 August, followed by a series of tune-up matches at the Saitama Super Arena from 22-25 August against Argentina, Germany and Tunisia respectively.
    Last edited by ZagNative; 07-27-2019, 08:04 PM.
    • Feb 2007

Of course, Domas will be there, playing for Lithuania:

Comment

• CB4
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2009

Absolutely awesome.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Thank you, ZN..really appreciate you always keeping us updated on international Zags & news.

I’d love to see Karnowski play again. Hope he is 100% healthy and Poland does well.

I think Clarke has decent shot of joining Olynyk and Pangos on Team Canada... eager to see that final roster. Afraid Wiltjers defensive liabilities may keep him off the team...but if Coach Nick Nurse prioritizes 3-pt shooting over D Wiltjer may stick.

Rui & Ira ballin out together for Japan! Hoping Japan has a Mali-esque run in this tourney...if not to gold medal game at least making it out of group stage
        Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• kitzbuel
          • Feb 2007

It would be interesting to see what school has the most players competing in the FIBA WC.
          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Outraged
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Feb 2007

Why have a National footprint when you can have the world?

Comment

• MDABE80
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

I wonder if the games might be televised. Hint hint for ZN

Comment

• ZagNative
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Too early to tell, but I'd be surprised if they weren't televised on ESPN3.

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                I wonder if the games might be televised. Hint hint for ZN

Comment

• ZagNative
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I want to see Guy Landry Edi play again, this time for Cote d'Ivoire. His regular season job now is with Chalon-Reims, in the top league in France.

Guy's stats page for the FIBA African World Cup Qualifiers in February

Highlights in a Zag uni:

Highlights for Cote d'Ivoire in the African World Cup Qualifiers in February (Guy is #14):

Comment

• Mojo13
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Nov 2012

Pretty sure Karno was not part of Poland's camp invite list. Probably hurt still.
                    And did you confirm Ira Brown is on Japan? I thought they replaced him with a better import.

I'll be surprised if Clarke makes Team Canada but KO is obviously a key player (top 3) and Pangos could easily make it as a deep guard.

Wiltjer you never know (I doubt it) - that is all on the coaching staffs whims. He can't see extended minutes though.

Edit:
                    Karno not on camp invite list.

Edit 2:
                    Ira Brown not on training camp list. He was replaced by Nick Fazekas a while back now as Japan one allowed naturalized player.
                    Japan's "Big Three" — Rui Hachimura, Yuta Watanabe and Nick Fazekas — headline the provisional roster of the Japan men's national team for the upcoming FIB

Rui seems to be playing though - a rarity among NBA rookies.
                    Last edited by Mojo13; 07-30-2019, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• DZ
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Mojo13 View Post
                      Pretty sure Karno was not part of Poland's camp invite list. Probably hurt still.
                      And did you confirm Ira Brown is on Japan? I thought they replaced him with a better import.

I'll be surprised if Clarke makes Team Canada but KO is obviously a key player (top 3) and Pangos could easily make it as a deep guard.

Wiltjer you never know (I doubt it) - that is all on the coaching staffs whims. He can't see extended minutes though.

Edit:
                      Karno not on camp invite list.

Edit 2:
                      Ira Brown not on training camp list. He was replaced by Nick Fazekas a while back now as Japan one allowed naturalized player.
                      Japan's "Big Three" — Rui Hachimura, Yuta Watanabe and Nick Fazekas — headline the provisional roster of the Japan men's national team for the upcoming FIB

Rui seems to be playing though - a rarity among NBA rookies.
                      Question:

I understand the rarity for NBA rooks, is it bc their contract is not covered for injury on an international team? And if so, might Rui be playing in no small part bc his real money is going to come from Japanese endorsements? Even more so than NBA money?
                      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                      Mark Twain.

Comment

• Markburn1
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                        Question:

I understand the rarity for NBA rooks, is it bc their contract is not covered for injury on an international team? And if so, might Rui be playing in no small part bc his real money is going to come from Japanese endorsements? Even more so than NBA money?
                        I bet he gets more than $150k/yr from either source. If you get my drift. Haha.

Comment

• Bouldin4Prez
                          Kennel Club Alum
                          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                          Question:

Has a lot to do with acclimating them to the NBA lifestyle. The jump to an 82 game schedule is an absolute grind and is why a lot of rookies trail off the last half to third of the year. I'm sure they want them spending time with their conditioning/strength staff as well as the nutrition staff to get ready for his rookie year. Injury concerns are there as well no doubt.

Comment

• Mojo13
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
                            Has a lot to do with acclimating them to the NBA lifestyle. The jump to an 82 game schedule is an absolute grind and is why a lot of rookies trail off the last half to third of the year. I'm sure they want them spending time with their conditioning/strength staff as well as the nutrition staff to get ready for his rookie year. Injury concerns are there as well no doubt.
                            There are also a number of rookie orientation commitments to the NBA (and their club) they are supposed to attend that cover topics like - financial planning, nutrition, social media usage, NBA policy and procedures, groupie training etc. However I am not sure when these are and how they conflict with the World Cup or how mandatory they are.

The vast, vast majority of NBA rookies do not play FIBA their draft year. Sabonis and maybe Cedi Osman are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head over the last decade. Perhaps there are a couple more...it is just too big a jump to the NBA (injury concerns are heightened as well).

I think Dante Exum played for Australia his sophomore year (maybe it was rookie) and then proceeded to blow out his knee (derailed his career). So if you are a high draft pick you are getting loads of pressure from clubs, the NBA, agents etc not to play.

Comment

• Mantua
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
                              I’m sure you are correct. They are so protective of the rookies during Summer League and there are endless discussions about the rookies getting into NBA game shape. I can’t imagine NBA teams letting rookies play in FIBA games.
                              Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

Working...
                              X