Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Zags Playing for Five Countries in FIBA 2019 World Cup in China

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Wow. Rui getting comfortable in the Alpha role. So cool seeing how he has developed in just 3 years; incredible really.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

On now, Canada vs. Australia in a friendly match. Watch live on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk88NYh38WE

Canada leads 15-6 at 5:35 in the first. Pangos already with two threes, and Wilter has hit one also. Delladova, Patty Mills, and Jock Landale are playing for Australia.

Canada leads at the half 46-36. Pangos with 13 points, Wiltjer with 8. Canada playing great.

Box Score

Canada wins it 90-70. Pangos with 18 points, 2 rebounds, 5 assists, and 4 steals. Wiltjer with 11 points, 6 rebounds, and 2 steals.

Tomorrow Canada plays Australia again.

On now, Canada vs. Australia in a friendly match. Watch live on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk88NYh38WE

Canada leads 15-6 at 5:35 in the first. Pangos already with two threes, and Wilter has hit one also. Delladova, Patty Mills, and Jock Landale are playing for Australia.
    ZN THANKS for sharing...I am assuming KO isn't there because he is injured?!? Is he still on the roster and will he be able to play in the WC?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    ZN THANKS for sharing...I am assuming KO isn't there because he is injured?!? Is he still on the roster and will he be able to play in the WC?
    He is out. There is a posting in Old Dogs.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

So, it's a rematch of Gonzaga vs. Saint Mary's?
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Guess I missed the announcement that KP & KW made the squad. Good for them.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

I’m a little surprised by the score and Delly’s 0-9 shooting. Canada has a pretty coach. I still have hope of seeing KP in the NBA.
    Parlez-vous français?

If you're up at 2:30 AM tonight, you can watch Kevin Pangos and Kyle Wiltjer play in Canada's second exhibition game vs. Australia on Youtube live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r3DCfWjCvQ

Live stats should be here: https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/AUSO/1310977/

Game's on, starting the second quarter Canada has just taken the lead, 18-17. Pangos hasn't entered the game yet, and though Wiltjer started, he hasn't scored yet.

Australia wins this one. Pangos didn't play. Hope he's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Australia wins this one. Pangos didn't play. Hope he's okay.
    Attended both games with the mrs. and daughter, flew over to see the games and made a short holiday out of it.

First game was awesome KP played very well (very efficient) and was a calming influence on the team and he and Delly went at it all night long.

The highlight was when he blocked Lansdale right in front of us (more about that in a minute).

Wiltjer also played well and actually was pushing himself on defence. Given the lack of bulk/height in the Canadian lineup he was up against Landale and Ingles for most of the night and he got his shots.

The Canadian team as a whole really played well as a team and didn't seem at all intimidated by a NBA starting 5.

Patty Mills is so fast, and he and KP the best players on the floor. Ingles sure is a whiner.

During warmup for the second game I noticed quickly that KP wasn't out on the floor and was worried he might have injured himself.

As I was near the floor I spotted what looked like the Canadian media guy so I walked over and queried if KP was playing.

He said hat he wasn't and I asked if he was injured, mentioning that I had followed his career since he was in high school.

He said he was fine and If I wanted to speak to him he was walking right behind me (going to the Canadian bench), he called Kevin over and we had a 5 minute chat
    (which was really awesome). KP said that he was fine and that just having a rest as they had three more games next week.

Kevin said he couldn't remember his last block but it had been a while and I joked that he also owned Delly the night before and he grinned.

Just before he went to the bench my daughter and I got a photo with KP, she was wearing her Zags pullover.

The second game was obviously much tougher, especially as the Canadian team had no Pangos or Joseph at the point.

Australia really ramped up the defence and where much more physical. This obviously disrupted the Canadian game plan, never letting them settle in to the half court.

The international game is much rougher than young Nembhard is used to at Florida State. Many broken plays eventuated, this favoured the team with the better athletes.

Still if you told me that Canada, without Kelly Olynyk and Cory Joseph, would split the two games in Perth I would have been very skeptical.

So all in all, 1 game each and having a great chat with a humble KP was a great result all round.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZY View Post
    Attended both games with the mrs. and daughter, flew over to see the games and made a short holiday out of it.

First game was awesome KP played very well (very efficient) and was a calming influence on the team and he and Delly went at it all night long.

The highlight was when he blocked Lansdale right in front of us (more about that in a minute).

Wiltjer also played well and actually was pushing himself on defence. Given the lack of bulk/height in the Canadian lineup he was up against Landale and Ingles for most of the night and he got his shots.

The Canadian team as a whole really played well as a team and didn't seem at all intimidated by a NBA starting 5.

Patty Mills is so fast, and he and KP the best players on the floor. Ingles sure is a whiner.

During warmup for the second game I noticed quickly that KP wasn't out on the floor and was worried he might have injured himself.

As I was near the floor I spotted what looked like the Canadian media guy so I walked over and queried if KP was playing.

He said hat he wasn't and I asked if he was injured, mentioning that I had followed his career since he was in high school.

He said he was fine and If I wanted to speak to him he was walking right behind me (going to the Canadian bench), he called Kevin over and we had a 5 minute chat
    (which was really awesome). KP said that he was fine and that just having a rest as they had three more games next week.

Kevin said he couldn't remember his last block but it had been a while and I joked that he also owned Delly the night before and he grinned.

Just before he went to the bench my daughter and I got a photo with KP, she was wearing her Zags pullover.

The second game was obviously much tougher, especially as the Canadian team had no Pangos or Joseph at the point.

Australia really ramped up the defence and where much more physical. This obviously disrupted the Canadian game plan, never letting them settle in to the half court.

The international game is much rougher than young Nembhard is used to at Florida State. Many broken plays eventuated, this favoured the team with the better athletes.

Still if you told me that Canada, without Kelly Olynyk and Cory Joseph, would split the two games in Perth I would have been very skeptical.

So all in all, 1 game each and having a great chat with a humble KP was a great result all round.
    Wonderful story, Oz.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Great story!

Nembhard plays at Florida, BTW. I'm sure you knew

Thanks Oz.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Oz, thank you for your report.
    Parlez-vous français?

Pangos and Wiltjer's team Canada plays New Zealand at 2:30 AM tonight.

Stats will be here: https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/AUSO/1310978/

"Canada's basketball team routs New Zealand in FIBA friendly"

Aaron Best scored 20 points while Andrew Nembhard added 17 as Canada's men's basketball team trounced the New Zealand Tall Blacks 122-88 in a pre-FIBA World Cup exhibition game Tuesday.

Six Canadians scored in double figures. Oshae Brissett had 16 points and seven rebounds, Owen Klassen chipped in 12 points, Kevin Pangos had 10 points, six rebounds and six assists, and Duane Notice finished with 10 points.

The Canadians split a pair of friendlies last week with Australia, a team they'll face in their opening round of the World Cup on Sept. 1.

"Coach preaches every day, making the right passes, playing as a team," Nembhard said. "We're working on us every day out here. We're trying to get better every day and improve on what we did the day before."

Canada set a blistering pace, opening with a 10-0 run and scoring seven three-pointers in the first quarter to take a 35-17 lead into the second. They had a 20-0 first-half run, and led 61-37 at halftime. Canada took a 92-63 lead into the fourth quarter.
    Looks like Wiltjer didn't play.

I'm taking in the second of the two games tonight, hopefully both Kevin and Kyle play.

From the sound of it Corey Joseph Isn't going to come at all, so it will be up to Kevin and Andrew Nembhard to run the point at the World Championships....

Great that you'll be there! Looking forward to your report!

For those of us not able to attend:

Live video streaming at 2:30 AM:

Live stats: https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/AUSO/1310979/

Quote Originally Posted by OZZY View Post
    I'm taking in the second of the two games tonight, hopefully both Kevin and Kyle play.
    From the sound of it Corey Joseph Isn't going to come at all, so it will be up to Kevin and Andrew Nembhard to run the point at the World Championships....
    Last edited by ZagNative; 08-20-2019 at 09:26 PM.

Game on in a few minutes.

At the half, New Zealand leads Canada 36-33 and has led all of the first half.

Game on in a few minutes.
    ZN your the best!

At the game now, not good news for Canada. Nembhard went down in a collision. Kevin appears to have hurt one of the fingers on his left hand...