Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zags Playing for Five Countries in FIBA 2019 World Cup in China

Default Zags Playing for Five Countries in FIBA 2019 World Cup in China

So fun! Here's the list of Zags and the countries they'll be playing for in China starting August 31:

Rosters aren't firmly set yet, so we'll have to wait and see who actually makes the cut, but this is a start.

FIBA World Cup Web Site

Rui Hachimura for Japan: Story from FIBA website says Rui will be joining Japan's team July 30 to prepare for the upcoming games: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...n-s-yudai-baba

OKYO (Japan) - The cream of the crop of Japanese basketball have finally assembled to begin their preparations for the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 in earnest.

"The players who are ready to compete with the world have gathered," said high-flying wingman Yudai Baba, who is fresh from playing in the NBA Summer League 2019 for the Dallas Mavericks.

The Akatsuki Five's training camp officially tipped off a week ago, with the main goal of getting the team ready to pose a serious challenge to their fellow World Cup Group E sides Turkey, Czech Republic and Team USA.

"We have a good mindset right now because we participated in the NBA Summer League, and we are able to enter the camp in good condition," added star guard Makoto Hiejima, who also played at the Summer League for the New Orleans Pelicans.

The 28-year-old scoring machine is expected to be one of Japan's main weapons at the World Cup along with Rui Hachimura of the Washington Wizards and naturalized center Nick Fazekas of the Kawasaki Brave Thunders.
    Meanwhile, Japan's two bona fide NBA talents, Hachimura and Yuta Watanabe, will fly in to join the team on 30 July.

As part of their World Cup build-up, Japan will face New Zealand at Chiba Port Arena on 12 August, followed by a series of tune-up matches at the Saitama Super Arena from 22-25 August against Argentina, Germany and Tunisia respectively.
    Last edited by ZagNative; 07-27-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Of course, Domas will be there, playing for Lithuania:

Absolutely awesome.

Thank you, ZN..really appreciate you always keeping us updated on international Zags & news.

I’d love to see Karnowski play again. Hope he is 100% healthy and Poland does well.

I think Clarke has decent shot of joining Olynyk and Pangos on Team Canada... eager to see that final roster. Afraid Wiltjers defensive liabilities may keep him off the team...but if Coach Nick Nurse prioritizes 3-pt shooting over D Wiltjer may stick.

Rui & Ira ballin out together for Japan! Hoping Japan has a Mali-esque run in this tourney...if not to gold medal game at least making it out of group stage
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

It would be interesting to see what school has the most players competing in the FIBA WC.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Why have a National footprint when you can have the world?

I wonder if the games might be televised. Hint hint for ZN

Too early to tell, but I'd be surprised if they weren't televised on ESPN3.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I wonder if the games might be televised. Hint hint for ZN

I want to see Guy Landry Edi play again, this time for Cote d'Ivoire. His regular season job now is with Chalon-Reims, in the top league in France.

Guy's stats page for the FIBA African World Cup Qualifiers in February

Highlights in a Zag uni:

Highlights for Cote d'Ivoire in the African World Cup Qualifiers in February (Guy is #14):

Pretty sure Karno was not part of Poland's camp invite list. Probably hurt still.
    And did you confirm Ira Brown is on Japan? I thought they replaced him with a better import.

I'll be surprised if Clarke makes Team Canada but KO is obviously a key player (top 3) and Pangos could easily make it as a deep guard.

Wiltjer you never know (I doubt it) - that is all on the coaching staffs whims. He can't see extended minutes though.

Edit:
    Karno not on camp invite list.
    https://sportando.basketball/en/pola...g-camp-roster/

Edit 2:
    Ira Brown not on training camp list. He was replaced by Nick Fazekas a while back now as Japan one allowed naturalized player.
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...0#.XUB8SuhKjIV
    Rui seems to be playing though - a rarity among NBA rookies.
    Last edited by Mojo13; 07-30-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    Pretty sure Karno was not part of Poland's camp invite list. Probably hurt still.
    And did you confirm Ira Brown is on Japan? I thought they replaced him with a better import.

I'll be surprised if Clarke makes Team Canada but KO is obviously a key player (top 3) and Pangos could easily make it as a deep guard.

Wiltjer you never know (I doubt it) - that is all on the coaching staffs whims. He can't see extended minutes though.

Edit:
    Karno not on camp invite list.
    https://sportando.basketball/en/pola...g-camp-roster/

Edit 2:
    Ira Brown not on training camp list. He was replaced by Nick Fazekas a while back now as Japan one allowed naturalized player.
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...0#.XUB8SuhKjIV
    Rui seems to be playing though - a rarity among NBA rookies.
    Question:

I understand the rarity for NBA rooks, is it bc their contract is not covered for injury on an international team? And if so, might Rui be playing in no small part bc his real money is going to come from Japanese endorsements? Even more so than NBA money?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Question:

I understand the rarity for NBA rooks, is it bc their contract is not covered for injury on an international team? And if so, might Rui be playing in no small part bc his real money is going to come from Japanese endorsements? Even more so than NBA money?
    I bet he gets more than $150k/yr from either source. If you get my drift. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Question:

Has a lot to do with acclimating them to the NBA lifestyle. The jump to an 82 game schedule is an absolute grind and is why a lot of rookies trail off the last half to third of the year. I'm sure they want them spending time with their conditioning/strength staff as well as the nutrition staff to get ready for his rookie year. Injury concerns are there as well no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    Has a lot to do with acclimating them to the NBA lifestyle. The jump to an 82 game schedule is an absolute grind and is why a lot of rookies trail off the last half to third of the year. I'm sure they want them spending time with their conditioning/strength staff as well as the nutrition staff to get ready for his rookie year. Injury concerns are there as well no doubt.
    There are also a number of rookie orientation commitments to the NBA (and their club) they are supposed to attend that cover topics like - financial planning, nutrition, social media usage, NBA policy and procedures, groupie training etc. However I am not sure when these are and how they conflict with the World Cup or how mandatory they are.

The vast, vast majority of NBA rookies do not play FIBA their draft year. Sabonis and maybe Cedi Osman are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head over the last decade. Perhaps there are a couple more...it is just too big a jump to the NBA (injury concerns are heightened as well).

I think Dante Exum played for Australia his sophomore year (maybe it was rookie) and then proceeded to blow out his knee (derailed his career). So if you are a high draft pick you are getting loads of pressure from clubs, the NBA, agents etc not to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    I’m sure you are correct. They are so protective of the rookies during Summer League and there are endless discussions about the rookies getting into NBA game shape. I can’t imagine NBA teams letting rookies play in FIBA games.
    Parlez-vous français?

I'm wondering if Rui is kind of an outlier to the norm?

With him becoming the face of Japanese basketball & the Olympics coming to Tokyo next year, I'm sure there is a push by the Japanese National Team to get him acclimated to those team mates as soon & as much as possible.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Japan Times story on Japan's FIBA team roster announcement
    Big guns set to lead Japan at FIBA World Cup

Due to NBA regulations, which limits NBA players to be part of national team activities ahead of the World Cup to 28 days, Watanabe and Hachimura did not participate in the aforementioned training camp. The team will hold a seven-day training camp in Nagoya starting on Wednesday and the two will begin practicing with the team there.

During the Asian qualifiers, Fazekas, Watanabe and Hachimura were clearly difference-makers helping the team post eight straight victories. But all three never played at the same time.

“I played in a few games last year during the Asian qualifiers, but there was always someone missing,” Hachimura said, referring to the Big Three. “Togashi’s out, but now we have the full squad for the World Cup. And hopefully, I’ll be leading the team with my leadership and my game.”

Fazekas played with Hachimura in two games during the Asian qualifiers, while he met Watanabe in person for the first time on Tuesday. The Colorado native said that Hachimura “looks better than he did last time” he took the court with the 21-year-old forward, while Watanabe will give Japan good size at the small forward position.

“I’m excited for the three of us to get out there,” said the 210-cm center, who played for the Dallas Mavericks and Los Angeles Clippers in the late 2000s. And it’s just exciting we get the full team now.”

Lamas has stressed that his squad will face tough challenges at the World Cup, where the Akatsuki Five will meet Turkey, the Czech Republic and the United States in the first round. Yet he said that the team he assembled is “the best version” the country is able to produce at the moment .

“This is the best team we can have. There’s no doubt about it,” the Argentine said.

Hopefully someday soon we will have a player representing the US in the FIBA games.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Hopefully someday soon we will have a player representing the US in the FIBA games.

John Stockton in the 1992 and 1996 Olympics, Zach Collins in the 2015 U18 3x3

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    I'm wondering if Rui is kind of an outlier to the norm?

With him becoming the face of Japanese basketball & the Olympics coming to Tokyo next year, I'm sure there is a push by the Japanese National Team to get him acclimated to those team mates as soon & as much as possible.
    yes.

Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    John Stockton in the 1992 and 1996 Olympics, Zach Collins in the 2015 U18 3x3
    I'll give you John Stockton, but ZC hadnt worn a Zag uniform before the u18 3x3.

" Rui Hachimura leads Japan to friendly win over New Zealand"

12/Aug/19 12:24

Japan kicked off a two-game home series versus New Zealand with a win.

By Eurohoops Team/ info@eurohoops.net

Rui Hachimura powered Japan to the 99-89 victory against New Zealand on Monday. The 21-year-old forward of the Washington Wizards posted a game-high 35 points, also tallied 5 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals in the first half of the home series versus the Tall Blacks.

Nick Fazekas followed with 21 points and 7 rebounds, Yudai Baba added 12 points and Joji Takeuchi 10. On the losing side, Tai Webster put up 18 points, Isaac Fotu had a double-double of 16 points and 10 rebounds, and Corey Webster added 14 points.

Japan is part of Group E in the World Cup alongside Turkey, the Czech Republic and the United States. New Zealand was drawn with Brazil, Montenegro and Greece in Group F. The two national teams will meet again at Tokyo on Wednesday.

Good to see Rui hitting those threes. Free throws will come around more consistently.

This highlight film is in Japanese, but it's still fun to follow for the crowd reactions to Rui's heroics:

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    This highlight film is in Japanese, but it's still fun to follow for the crowd reactions to Rui's heroics:
    Leads to me believe that the speculation surrounding his shoe contract with the Jordan Brand could be worth more than $200 million is not unfounded.