Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: only 3 sessions left to watch new guys

Wikipedia lists Arlauskas as a “shooting guard”. He’s “only” 6’6””. For those who follow this, any chance he can play some 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Reborn, I only count nine players (hi-lited) that you feel will get PT but I've said this before, the sleeper on this team is Ballo...if he is able to grasp the offence and can learn how to play "D" at the D1 level, then he will be the surprise. I watched him in the FIBA 19 this summer and he is scary in a very good way...I feel he can dominate on both ends of the court but only time will tell...he just has tremendous skills and I'll bet that "IF" he can stay out of foul trouble when he plays defence, then the sky could be the limit for this team...yes, there are a lot of "IF's" but he could be the best to leave GU since Adam...IMO
    I'm glad I miscounted because that could mean Few could possibly play one more. I feel that that would be a position that is wide open. It sure will be interesting.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Which ones will NOT see playing time?

It's not funny.

I can’t wait for Jalen Suggs to commit...

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Wikipedia lists Arlauskas as a “shooting guard”. He’s “only” 6’6””. For those who follow this, any chance he can play some 2?
    My first impression is, why not? It will be interesting to see if Ravet, Ayayi, or Arlauskas get the minutes there. I’m trying to remember if Micah Downs got more minutes at the 2 or the 3...

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    My first impression is, why not? It will be interesting to see if Ravet, Ayayi, or Arlauskas get the minutes there. I’m trying to remember if Micah Downs got more minutes at the 2 or the 3...
    Just about all I remember about Micah Downs was how good a kid he was and him springing about 15 feet in the air for a dunk.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

A six foot six player could certainly play the 2 in today's basketball. It's amazing how the taller players are picking up guard skills more and more every year. I have not seen video of Arlauskas, but will try to do so today.

Well, I spent a very good half hour watching video and was quite surprised at how good Arlauskas is. And yes, he can play the two or three. I wanted to see how well he dribbled the basketball and handled it, and he certainly met my expectations of a two-guard. He dribbles with quickness and ease, and is very difficult to guard. He has an excellent rocker move. He can shoot out to the 3 point line, but what I was most impressed with was his ability to attack the basket off the dribble. He has a great mid-range pull-up jumper, and it's possibly his favorite shot. And what surprised me the most, is he's a very good passer. Oh! I almost forgot. He seems to like playing defense. He really hustles at the defensive end. Arlauskas is not going to red shirt, and will get playing time. One reason he's so hard to guard is that he's 6'6". I now see why he's ranked 44th among incoming freshmen.

Smiling!!!
    Last edited by Reborn; 08-12-2019 at 06:11 AM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

From about the 2012-13 season back Few was playing 10 guys almost every year. And those years didn't have half the talent of next years team. I think if he want's to play 10 he'll do fine at finding them mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    From about the 2012-13 season back Few was playing 10 guys almost every year. And those years didn't have half the talent of next years team. I think if he want's to play 10 he'll do fine at finding them mins.
    Great point.

Post more.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I wanna believe, help my unbelief. Link to site for stats from such seasons?
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I wanna believe, help my unbelief. Link to site for stats from such seasons?
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...zaga/2013.html

Counting them up it seems like 9 or more guys getting 10+ mins is really common.

Thanks, Shooter. Great site. Few has indeed shown he is willing and able to play 9-10 guys double digit minutes. Thanks for posting.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Never seen Few play more than 8 guys steady minutes. Does this talent level, probably greatest overall from players 1-12 in program history, force Few to adapt a Leonard Hamilton’s Seminoles type of expanded rotation? OR Do 2-3 of these guys choose to redshirt? OR Does this team gel really well, embrace Few’s typical 8 man rotation (9 max) and just go all in for one another this season regardless of roles/minutes? OR Do the peaks and valleys of every season cause discontent w roles/minutes to create cracks in the team’s unity and season spirals downward?
    Thanks Shooter for that research... but it does seem to me that the last few summers we have had a very similar conversation (ie, how will Few decide which players to give reduced minutes given all this amazing talent) with some folks surmising that this year, Coach Few's hand will be forced and he'll finally play that 10 man rotation we've been itching for. And then, the rotation ends up being about the same as it has for the last several years. I kind of assume it will be about the same this year, but I join everyone else in hoping all our young guys hit their potential and force Coach's hand.

If any bigger guy is going to play "down" a position, I think Arlauskas is a good candidate. He definitely has the look of a bit of a slashy 2 type player. Downs was certainly capable of playing the two when he was here - I'd be thrilled if he was able to provide a similar skillset.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

And since then, Gonzaga has advanced to five (5) consecutive Sweet 16's, or beyond.

Only Duke, UNC, & Kansas ever achieved that streak.

Coincidence or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    And since then, Gonzaga has advanced to five (5) consecutive Sweet 16's, or beyond.

Only Duke, UNC, & Kansas ever achieved that streak.

Coincidence or not?
    In general, the eight man rotation serves us well. But the one of the reasons we lost to that chippy, less talented team from Texas Tech was because they could go ten deep. Sure, if the refs actually called the fouls the game probably would have had a different outcome, but we’ll never know.

Personally, I don’t know how we keep everyone happy because they all deserve 25+ minutes. But it’s good to know that we will be able to give it right back to a slap-happy opponent.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Which ones will NOT see playing time?

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    In general, the eight man rotation serves us well. But the one of the reasons we lost to that chippy, less talented team from Texas Tech was because they could go ten deep. Sure, if the refs actually called the fouls the game probably would have had a different outcome, but we’ll never know.

Personally, I don’t know how we keep everyone happy because they all deserve 25+ minutes. But it’s good to know that we will be able to give it right back to a slap-happy opponent.
    2-3 years ago Fla St was able to attack the Zags with waves of players, esp. bigs. I could see the Zags using that sort of model and even dipping into the entire 12 player pool.
    It's not funny.

But the one of the reasons we lost to that chippy, less talented team from Texas Tech was because they could go ten deep. Sure, if the refs actually called the fouls the game probably would have had a different outcome, but we’ll never know.
    Texas Tech played 8 guys in the game (as did Gonzaga). Their last man off the bench played 8 minutes, no points, and hardly played in the second half. (the same is true for Crandall, who was GU's last man off the bench) https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...8-gonzaga.html

I think GU had a slight "depth" advantage given Tillie was back. If we'd had a backup PG who could score or even get fouled reliably, it would have been enormously helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    2-3 years ago Fla St was able to attack the Zags with waves of players, esp. bigs. I could see the Zags using that sort of model and even dipping into the entire 12 player pool.
    It always depends....last year, Few beat Florida State something like 72-58 with the starters playing the great majority of the game and only Tullie and Jones and Crandall coming off the bench...… when you are blowing out WCC teams there are ample opportunities to use more players …..but when the game is undecided.....there is a very short rotation...…

I suspect Few will have a starting five after a hand full of games and stick to it baring injury and...... by March Few will have a rotation of 8 or even less...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    It always depends....last year, Few beat Florida State something like 72-58 with the starters playing the great majority of the game and only Tullie and Jones and Crandall coming off the bench...… when you are blowing out WCC teams there are ample opportunities to use more players …..but when the game is undecided.....there is a very short rotation...…

I suspect Few will have a starting five after a hand full of games and stick to it baring injury and...... by March Few will have a rotation of 8 or even less...
    Correct. The regular season ain’t the post season. The minutes referenced above include blowouts and games where there are feeling out processes to determine the correct rotations for the WCC tourney and beyond. When that part of the calendar hits, the staff has consistently shown they are more comfortable with an eight man rotation.

Maybe this year will be different but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Correct. The regular season ain’t the post season. The minutes referenced above include blowouts and games where there are feeling out processes to determine the correct rotations for the WCC tourney and beyond. When that part of the calendar hits, the staff has consistently shown they are more comfortable with an eight man rotation.

Maybe this year will be different but I wouldn’t bet on it.
    Sometimes I wonder if he really had a lineup he felt comfortable platooning, if he'd do it.

Usually, though, there is at least a small percentage drop off when a starter exists, at least in a few categories. But the 3-man big rotation sure seemed to work well, if someone had a 4th, no reason to not have killer fresh guys, too.

And as we get better and bigger athletes, and more focus on defense, I often wonder if he ever gets tempted to press more.

We simply don't have a real need in most WCC games, and yet it sure could be effective against a team with a day and a half to prepare in the NCAAs. But, gotta really be able to rotate guys to do that. it seems.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Texas Tech played 8 guys in the game (as did Gonzaga). Their last man off the bench played 8 minutes, no points, and hardly played in the second half. (the same is true for Crandall, who was GU's last man off the bench) https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...8-gonzaga.html

I think GU had a slight "depth" advantage given Tillie was back. If we'd had a backup PG who could score or even get fouled reliably, it would have been enormously helpful.
    I didn’t know they only played eight against us, but my point was they could have played ten. I could be wrong about this but I thought one of the announcers said they routinely went ten deep last season. And if the fouls were actually called in that game they probably would have used ten (or more).

In retrospect, I almost wish Few would have put in some bench players and gooned it up BYU style. Not to hurt anyone, but to get a flagrant foul or two called. The refs usually tighten it up at that point, and then we would have possibly had a game of basketball from then on. But to his credit Few didn’t do that, and I wouldn’t want to have to win like that anyway.
    Last edited by NotoriousZ; 08-12-2019 at 07:16 PM.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if he really had a lineup he felt comfortable platooning, if he'd do it.

Usually, though, there is at least a small percentage drop off when a starter exists, at least in a few categories. But the 3-man big rotation sure seemed to work well, if someone had a 4th, no reason to not have killer fresh guys, too.

And as we get better and bigger athletes, and more focus on defense, I often wonder if he ever gets tempted to press more.

We simply don't have a real need in most WCC games, and yet it sure could be effective against a team with a day and a half to prepare in the NCAAs. But, gotta really be able to rotate guys to do that. it seems.
    Had the Karno J3/Collins Tillie line shift
    It's not funny.

I didn’t know they only played eight against us, but my point was they could have played ten. I could be wrong about this but I thought one of the announcers said they routinely went ten deep last season. And if the fouls were actually called in that game they probably would have used ten (or more).
    They only played 8 against us, and they only played 8 generally. We didn't lose because they went 10 deep against us, and we didn't lose because they "could have" gone ten deep against us.

They had 5 starters + 3 guys getting bench minutes in the teens, (13, 17, 17 MPG) and then nobody else who saw more than 5 minutes a game. Those 5 starters + 3 bench guys are the only ones we saw in March.