Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: only 3 sessions left to watch new guys

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    The thing catching this fan's eye is 247's high regard for Arlauskas. They have him as our second best recruit. Wondering what they're seeing/liking.

:]
    I am curious as to the current actual height and weight of Arlauskas at this time. The few pictures posted of him on campus give me the impression he is taller and leaner than what was shown in his game clips. For some reason my gut tells me he may immediately have more impact on the team than seems the general consensus.

Did you see him play or read his stats from last month's tournament?

The thing catching this fan's eye is 247's high regard for Arlauskas. They have him as our second best recruit. Wondering what they're seeing/liking.

It caught my eyes too. It feels like really good news. Our focus has been on Timme I think, but now I'm wondering more about Arlauskus. I think those analysts who predict a high seed for the Zags in the NCAA Tournament may be a lot more aware of Arlauskus then we have been.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

[totalspeculation] i bet that if you asked Joe Lunardi or Jerry Palm who Martynas Arlauskas is, they would have no idea. [/totalspeculation]

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    [totalspeculation] i bet that if you asked Joe Lunardi or Jerry Palm who Martynas Arlauskas is, they would have no idea. [/totalspeculation]
    I would bet the exact opposite. I've listened to both on extended interviews and they know their stuff. I've heard Lunardi field random questions from fans across the country and he doesn't miss a beat. Not only does he know who the players are and their skillsets, he knows how they will fit in with whatever system they are a part of.

You are way off base here and it is insulting.

Good catch Kidwell. I’ve seen several posts on these boards predicting a red shirt for him. And we’re loaded with bigs again, so I think many of us haven’t given Arlauskas much thought for this year. The season can’t start soon enough!
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

- I could not tell you where, but I read on one of our posts a couple of months ago, that an assistant coach saying don't let arlauskas get lost in the 2019-20 recruiting conversation, as the coaching staff was as excited about him as any other player.
    - I read nothing more into that statement, i.e. he might indeed red shirt, or be a true freshman contributor.......but I do 'hear' in that statement that staff does not consider arlauskas as an end of the bench player.

arlauskas = a taller dranginis. Has a titch of micah downs in him too, yet not as athletic. Reminds me a bit of Kyle Collinsworth too, yet not as offensively creative.

Just as he played for Zalgiris and U18 & U19 Lithuania...pretty obvious his skillset and role.

Not a big scorer, yet a capable one. Has a really nice dribble drive slashing move to the hoop and rises up for a quasi-hook and/or floater. He uses his length to gain separation and utilizes this move from from baseline or center of lane.

Watching 4 of his full games, he scored exclusively with this trademark move, and some occasional 3's sprinkled in. He did secure a few offensive rebounds for put back opportunities.

He is a glue guy. Along the lines of a pendo, dranginis, hart, jeremy jones, et al.

Obviously a higher offensive ceiling than several of the aforementioned yet same type of role/mindset.

Never been a big scorer, yet is trusted with the ball. More a stat stuffer, &/or a balanced player.

Defense is excellent, always tasked and asked to defend the opponents best perimeter player. High motor on defense, smart, willing, capable on offense.

He often blends into the game. Doesnt always stand out, yet never too high....nor too low. Just steady.

Makes the right decision, has nice attributes, esp length, motor, IQ, versatility, etc.

Could use more strength yet has a frame which could develop muscle quickly.

Team guy, loves the game, trusted, well liked, easy to play with, teammates like his style. He can fit in on the court with any type of player or style, as he adapts and is often the oil to keep the offense and defense running smoothly.

Logs a lot of minutes, yet doesnt blow up the scoring column, just is timely with his play.

Thanks rtz.

All that sounds pretty impressive.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Thanks rtz.

All that sounds pretty impressive.
    Good to learn more about Arlauskas. I have been assuming he is a likely redshirt candidate to build strength and hopefully enjoy a full year of good health to work on his game after dealing w injuries much of this past year (pretty sure that was the case for him but don’t have a link to share verifying that).

If Arlauskas is ready to contribute this season, finding minutes for both him and Anton Watson will be a real challenge. Assuming all are healthy and no RS seasons, here’s my guess on: starter / backup roles

Woolridge / Ravet
    Gilder / Ayayi
    Kispert / Watson / Arlauskas
    Tillie / Timme / Watson
    Petrusev / Ballo / Zakharov

Never seen Few play more than 8 guys steady minutes. Does this talent level, probably greatest overall from players 1-12 in program history, force Few to adapt a Leonard Hamilton’s Seminoles type of expanded rotation? OR Do 2-3 of these guys choose to redshirt? OR Does this team gel really well, embrace Few’s typical 8 man rotation (9 max) and just go all in for one another this season regardless of roles/minutes? OR Do the peaks and valleys of every season cause discontent w roles/minutes to create cracks in the team’s unity and season spirals downward?

Can’t wait to watch this team (players and coaches) develop and evolve.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post

Never seen Few play more than 8 guys steady minutes. Does this talent level, probably greatest overall from players 1-12 in program history, force Few to adapt a Leonard Hamilton’s Seminoles type of expanded rotation? OR Do 2-3 of these guys choose to redshirt?

I don't think we see multiple redshirts with this talent level; how many of these guys are gonna want to stay 5 years? Karno and Josh might have been the last of that breed. Seems to me that the only way we see noncompulsory (i.e. transfer) redshirts is if someone is injured like Norvell was, or a case of someone who is really young, or needs strength or specific skill development and wants to focus on that.

The '99 team did go 10 deep; I know that was Monson but Few certainly had a lot of input; from memory, I think there has been a time or two that Few went 9 or 10 deep for a portion of the season.

Many teams fail to make the dance or make early exits due to injuries and lack of depth. That weakness is magnified in April when a thin bench becomes even more susceptible to foul trouble causing an early exit. Bench depth is a real difference maker down the stretch. Hopefully Few and company can get all of this talent ready by March. It will be fun watching this group develop.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I don't think we see multiple redshirts with this talent level; how many of these guys are gonna want to stay 5 years? Karno and Josh might have been the last of that breed. Seems to me that the only way we see noncompulsory (i.e. transfer) redshirts is if someone is injured like Norvell was, or a case of someone who is really young, or needs strength or specific skill development and wants to focus on that.

The '99 team did go 10 deep; I know that was Monson but Few certainly had a lot of input; from memory, I think there has been a time or two that Few went 9 or 10 deep for a portion of the season.
    MGK I believe you're right, the day of the RS freshman are probably behind us...Yes, that 99 team was very special and I believe if Coach Few has confidence in his players then he will play those players be it 9, 10 or 11...that doesn't mean each will play 20 minutes but they will be played...IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    MGK I believe you're right, the day of the RS freshman are probably behind us...Yes, that 99 team was very special and I believe if Coach Few has confidence in his players then he will play those players be it 9, 10 or 11...that doesn't mean each will play 20 minutes but they will be played...IMO
    Karno and Josh were 5th year Seniors due to injury .... I could be mistaken but I'm thinking Kyle Dranginis may have been the last traditional red shirt 5th year Senior ..... although there IS a chance Joel will be one.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Karno and Josh were 5th year Seniors due to injury .... I could be mistaken but I'm thinking Kyle Dranginis may have been the last traditional red shirt 5th year Senior ..... although there IS a chance Joel will be one.
    I just don't understand where my memory went...KD was the last 5th year RS and yes Joel could be as well...Thanks for keeping pointed in the right direction...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I just don't understand where my memory went...KD was the last 5th year RS and yes Joel could be as well...Thanks for keeping pointed in the right direction...lol
    I believe that was also the plan with Silas Melson (who had not played prior to Perkins broken jaw) but Silas' presumptive freshman RS was abruptly halted when Josh's season ended after a few games.

So I gather from this thread that nobody actually was able to see them play here and report to us hungry fans?
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    So I gather from this thread that nobody actually was able to see them play here and report to us hungry fans?
    Quit spending time in Arizona and do your job!!!

- gonzagasaurusflex, ponders will the team pull together for team and each other, or will team disunity cause team to spiral downwards. (due to possible discontent over playing time)
    - my answer is the former, as that is what a coach few team has always done for 20 years. it is what he demand of his players, it is part and parcel of the Gonzaga culture and tradition.

- agree with g.s.f. that coach usually plays 8 maybe 9 players at 10-12 minutes or more. but on what team could he go 2 and 3 deep at positions 3, 4 and 5, with the talent he will have next year? I cannot think of such a team. lots of unknowns that will play out once the rubber hits the hardwood, i.e. can ravet produce against d-1 talent? can ayayi show consistency? is arlauskas healthy? but nonetheless I would be surprised if coach few held to an 8 or even 9 player rotation, just too much talent with differing skill sets that can be deployed.

- agree with m.g.k. that redshirts unlikely unless due to injury. added reason, with the 2020 recruits we already have in strawther and other big bigs like Kessler and Holmberg we are after, there is no guarantee after sitting out a year that playing time is going to open up or improve. I think we have seen the end of the 5th year senior, unless that player is a non starter, perhaps a Jeremy jones, or mike hart type player who is a steady glue guy. (yes I know hart was a starter, to surprise and grief too many, but he would not have started on any team since he graduated. no knock on mike, just again a point to show how much the talent level has increased in the last few years).

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - gonzagasaurusflex, ponders 1) will the team pull together for team and each other, or will team disunity cause team to spiral downwards. (due to possible discontent over playing time)
    - my answer is the former, as that is what a coach few team has always done for 20 years. it is what he demand of his players, it is part and parcel of the Gonzaga culture and tradition.

- agree with g.s.f. that coach usually plays 8 maybe 9 players at 10-12 minutes or more. but on what team could he go 2 and 3 deep at positions 3, 4 and 5, with the talent he will have next year? I cannot think of such a team. lots of unknowns that will play out once the rubber hits the hardwood, i.e. can ravet produce against d-1 talent? can ayayi show consistency? is arlauskas healthy? but nonetheless 2)I would be surprised if coach few held to an 8 or even 9 player rotation, just too much talent with differing skill sets that can be deployed.

- agree with m.g.k. that redshirts unlikely unless due to injury. added reason, with the 2020 recruits we already have in strawther and other big bigs like Kessler and Holmberg we are after, there is no guarantee after sitting out a year that playing time is going to open up or improve. I think we have seen the end of the 5th year senior, unless that player is a non starter, perhaps a Jeremy jones, or mike hart type player who is a steady glue guy. (yes I know hart was a starter, to surprise and grief too many, but he would not have started on any team since he graduated. no knock on mike, just again a point to show how much the talent level has increased in the last few years).
    Just to be clear, my post was more about speculating that given 2 might this season’s team need to worry about 1. As you yourself agree in 2, this year’s team appears to be a new frontier for Coach Few in terms of sheer number of talented players. Therefore, it seems reasonable to raise the concern of 1 if in fact he does not expand his typical number of rotation players from 8 or 9 to, say, 9-11.

I agree Gonzaga has created an incredible family, team first culture. Guess I’m just suggesting that kind of chemistry is easier to develop when players 9-12 on roster are clearly less talented than the rotation players 1-8. This is in no way a criticism of Few or Zags’, it’s just common sense.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Quit spending time in Arizona and do your job!!!

Ok Tex, Southwest has cheap tickets from Texas too ya know..
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

I think the best way to approach the answer to the question about whether team disunity may cause the team to spiral downwards because some players are not getting the playing time they believe they deserve. The answer to that question is easy to come to. Of course not. Mark Few and Tommy do not recruit players like that. They just don't. They are careful to make sure that first and foremost recruit young men who are TEAM FIRST type of guys. Incoming recruits must also pass inspection by the team. It's a great process, and I'm sure that it's one reason that Gonzaga is Gonzaga. Every player knows what a Zag is and what's expected of him in terms of that.

Now the other question is a little harder to answer, "Will Few play more players this year?" That's up to the players. Few and Tommy know exactly what they look for in their player at every position, and if they believe that a player is not ready for the role the coaches want him to play than they just won't. None of us really knows what these players will be like when November rolls around. I've only seen one of the players play, and that is Ravet, and I don't worry about him at all. He will play. I have not seen any of the other incoming freshmen play, not even Watson. I know that many fans in the Spokane area have seen him, and I believe them when they say he's really good. So I'm sure he'll play. I think we all have seen enough video of Timme to know that he's going to play too. He's got the body and the energy and attitude to be an NBA player. We know that Tillie, Petrusive and Kispert will play. I think it's a sure thing that Gilder is going to start, but how much he will play is an unsure thing. We know he's coming off an injury, and so there is a question mark about how much he will play. The Zags will need a backup point guard, and my guess is it's Woolridge. So I feel pretty secure in saying that thee eight players will be seeing a fair amount of playing time.

So will Few go beyond what he normally does? I feel he will if he and the other coaches believe that others are capable of playing within the Zag system this year. We know they are all talented, but are they ready to play at the highest level in college basketball. That is the question. I think that the person who has the best chance of getting substantial minutes of playing time is Ayayi. Joel has played at Gonzaga two years now, and he knows Few's systems and expectations really well. I have always liked Ayayi, and I'm excited to see what he can do. Also, because he is the only guard that has experience as a Zag, I'm sure that that is going to help him a lot. Ravet is an inexperienced freshman, so I feel there are a lot of questions about his abilities at the D-1 level and he will need to answer them.

So there are ten really good players that I think will play, especially early on. But then we have other players who come to Gonzaga with a lot of talent and a really good resume: Ballo, Zakharov and Arlouskas. Arlouskas and Zakharov are ranked in the top 50 (44 & 46) of incoming freshmen. Both are ranked ahead of Timme who comes in ranked 55. And Ballo is ranked 64 I think. These guys are all really good, and that's why this is such a good thread, because really, the question, "What will Few do with these three guys" is such a great thing to think about. First, because all three of these players come from other countries and other cultures, is there a language barrier? If there is it could be a problem. I think about Rui. Rui was a great player in the FIBA 16 and under tournament. Yet, when he came to Gonzaga it became evident that there was a language barrier, as well as an understanding of what it takes to play at the level that Gonzaga plays at. Rui became a first round draft pick in the NBA, but he had to wait until it was his time to shine. I think that Ballo could fit into the same category as Rui. And because Arlouskas and Zacharov are ranked so high, they could certainly find plenty of playing time. Or because of certain barriers they may not see much playing time at all.

So the question, What is Few going to do is such a great question. But it's certainly one that he and his coaching staff are looking forward to answer. Right now, for me it's all a guessing game, but it's fun to guess. My analysis could be absolutely wrong, because honestly I really don't know what's going to happen because I haven't seen the team play yet, and certainly I haven't seen them play enough. There are so many new players that it's going to take time to figure this all out. One thing is certain, it's going to be an exciting and fun non conference season. I can hardly wait.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post

Ok Tex, Southwest has cheap tickets from Texas too ya know..
    Won't argue with you on that point...American has five nonstops daily to Spokane, too.

Family matters come first, though. My oldest son's getting married on 9/6, at a venue 2 hours east of Dallas. We've made two excursions out there to find an appropriate place for the rehearsal dinner. It's a small town of about 15K, so our options are limited. As you might expect, there's a few dozen details to handle, so it's keeping us busy.

School starts next week, and band practice started two weeks ago. The good news is that my son now has his drivers license, so I no longer have to ferry him on that 45 minute round trip. He's also playing football this year, so we're all going to be even busier than normal.

I've also been advised that Big D will be participating in 3 sports over the next two months: football, baseball, and hoops. I don't know what his mother was thinking.

I spent one of my free mornings last week at the Irving Police Department, to ask them to focus more attention on schools opening next week. In addition to the elementary school Big D attends, a new elementary school (probably large enough to handle 800 kids K-5) has just been completed, across the street from our house. Our area has an epidemic of drivers that blow through 4 way stops, and jaywalkers during school hours. Last year, I saw several instances where kids were nearly hit, because they were nowhere near crosswalks.

Apologies for the attempted thread hijack. Hopefully, I'll get the approval from Big D's parents for a trip to Spokane next summer, and extensive reporting from summer scrimmages.

Tex, I would question your priorities. Best wishes to all.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I think the best way to approach the answer to the question about whether team disunity may cause the team to spiral downwards because some players are not getting the playing time they believe they deserve. The answer to that question is easy to come to. Of course not. Mark Few and Tommy do not recruit players like that. They just don't. They are careful to make sure that first and foremost recruit young men who are TEAM FIRST type of guys. Incoming recruits must also pass inspection by the team. It's a great process, and I'm sure that it's one reason that Gonzaga is Gonzaga. Every player knows what a Zag is and what's expected of him in terms of that.

Now the other question is a little harder to answer, "Will Few play more players this year?" That's up to the players. Few and Tommy know exactly what they look for in their player at every position, and if they believe that a player is not ready for the role the coaches want him to play than they just won't. None of us really knows what these players will be like when November rolls around. I've only seen one of the players play, and that is Ravet, and I don't worry about him at all. He will play. I have not seen any of the other incoming freshmen play, not even Watson. I know that many fans in the Spokane area have seen him, and I believe them when they say he's really good. So I'm sure he'll play. I think we all have seen enough video of Timme to know that he's going to play too. He's got the body and the energy and attitude to be an NBA player. We know that Tillie, Petrusive and Kispert will play. I think it's a sure thing that Gilder is going to start, but how much he will play is an unsure thing. We know he's coming off an injury, and so there is a question mark about how much he will play. The Zags will need a backup point guard, and my guess is it's Woolridge. So I feel pretty secure in saying that thee eight players will be seeing a fair amount of playing time.

So will Few go beyond what he normally does? I feel he will if he and the other coaches believe that others are capable of playing within the Zag system this year. We know they are all talented, but are they ready to play at the highest level in college basketball. That is the question. I think that the person who has the best chance of getting substantial minutes of playing time is Ayayi. Joel has played at Gonzaga two years now, and he knows Few's systems and expectations really well. I have always liked Ayayi, and I'm excited to see what he can do. Also, because he is the only guard that has experience as a Zag, I'm sure that that is going to help him a lot. Ravet is an inexperienced freshman, so I feel there are a lot of questions about his abilities at the D-1 level and he will need to answer them.

So there are ten really good players that I think will play, especially early on. But then we have other players who come to Gonzaga with a lot of talent and a really good resume: Ballo, Zakharov and Arlouskas. Arlouskas and Zakharov are ranked in the top 50 (44 & 46) of incoming freshmen. Both are ranked ahead of Timme who comes in ranked 55. And Ballo is ranked 64 I think. These guys are all really good, and that's why this is such a good thread, because really, the question, "What will Few do with these three guys" is such a great thing to think about. First, because all three of these players come from other countries and other cultures, is there a language barrier? If there is it could be a problem. I think about Rui. Rui was a great player in the FIBA 16 and under tournament. Yet, when he came to Gonzaga it became evident that there was a language barrier, as well as an understanding of what it takes to play at the level that Gonzaga plays at. Rui became a first round draft pick in the NBA, but he had to wait until it was his time to shine. I think that Ballo could fit into the same category as Rui. And because Arlouskas and Zacharov are ranked so high, they could certainly find plenty of playing time. Or because of certain barriers they may not see much playing time at all.

So the question, What is Few going to do is such a great question. But it's certainly one that he and his coaching staff are looking forward to answer. Right now, for me it's all a guessing game, but it's fun to guess. My analysis could be absolutely wrong, because honestly I really don't know what's going to happen because I haven't seen the team play yet, and certainly I haven't seen them play enough. There are so many new players that it's going to take time to figure this all out. One thing is certain, it's going to be an exciting and fun non conference season. I can hardly wait.
    Reborn, I only count nine players (hi-lited) that you feel will get PT but I've said this before, the sleeper on this team is Ballo...if he is able to grasp the offence and can learn how to play "D" at the D1 level, then he will be the surprise. I watched him in the FIBA 19 this summer and he is scary in a very good way...I feel he can dominate on both ends of the court but only time will tell...he just has tremendous skills and I'll bet that "IF" he can stay out of foul trouble when he plays defence, then the sky could be the limit for this team...yes, there are a lot of "IF's" but he could be the best to leave GU since Adam...IMO