Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: only 3 sessions left to watch new guys

Default only 3 sessions left to watch new guys

Tonight, 29th (Monday) and 30th (Tuesday), all at 10pm. Take pictures and post if you go please.
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    Tonight, 29th (Monday) and 30th (Tuesday), all at 10pm. Take pictures and post if you go please.
    No reports thus far: major bummer...

Do you access from the old Kennel? I will try and make it tonight.
    America's Team!

I access from the south side main parking lot about three quarters down the line of buildings. Well lit with double doors. turn right and walk thru all doors to the gym.
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

*crickets*

Was hoping to hear something from this thread, anyone able to watch this year?
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

I do find it unusual that No One went to watch the kids play this summer or has board policy changed prohibiting comments/videos and such...

I’ve wondered same, Bogozags. Ravet, Timme, Watson, Kispert, Ayayi, Petrusev in Spokane and scrimmaging? Is either Gilder or Woolridge on campus and playing? Assume Tillie rehabbing not playing fullcourt scrimmages at all. Are Ballo and Zakharov on campus and balling?

If not actual reports of seeing any of these scrimmaging, how about info as to who is on campus and working out together this summer?

If all of following were playing, I’d like to see these two teams to square off. This would be a great scrimmage for practice. Every single player has legit shot to earn minutes (earn it in practice, in exhibition games and most of all for Few in your daily attitude).

?: Is this the dawn of a new normal for Coach Few and talent level Zags enjoy? Do Zags simplify the offense for sake of early season preparedness; this means start team ID with Defense? Use WCC season for finer points of offensive sets, start season focusing on D.

Ravet. VS. Woolridge
    Ayayi VS. Gilder
    Watson VS Kispert
    Timme VS Zakharov
    Petrusev VS Ballo
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Spokane is nice in summer. The games are late. It is more a testament to people's dedication other years than anything about this.

No problem, thx to all who have ever gone.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Subdued expectations

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Subdued expectations
    Nah. If anything the open-ended questions would be a huge impetus to go.

I doubt it. But, maybe.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Just returned from vacation which included sending our kids to the Zags Fundamentals camp. All the players were there with the exception of Ballo, who the camp counselors said will not arrive until “the fall.” Zakharov was in street clothes and only made a couple of appearances...looked as if he had other commitments during the camp.

It was nice to see these guys up close, but I did not get to the scrimmages in the evenings, so take all of this with a grain of salt. Appearances suggest Timme is a beast....kind of walks with a natural “tough guy” swagger and his young build backs it up - long arms, big feet and hands and broad shoulders...and has a little personality. He just looks intimidating and with the potential to get himself and others emotionally charged. Anton Watson was a little quiet but confident and is much taller looking in person - has a bigger frame than I was expecting, as does Arlauskas. Philip looked the same and was quiet, but a camp favorite for a dunk or two for the campers who were chanting at him to flush a couple. Tillie, as expected, was one of the camp favorites....a nice guy who was engaged with the kids the entire time. Guilder and Woolridge were there...hung out together a little during the breaks. Guilder has a very strong upper body and was perhaps the most gregarious at camp. Yet compared to prior years (Perkins and Norvell), he and the rest of the team were fairly subdued. Personal opinion here, yet there seems to be an opportunity/need for Guidler and Woolridge to take a leadership role given their experience. Kispert was the most comfortable in the crowd, made a half court shot for the kids and engaged campers most of the week during free shoot. Ayayi, according to my kids, spoke with less of an accent than Tillie and joked around quite a bit. Ravet was there....did not see him much. Again, wish there was time to get to the scrimmage. Finally, saw Silas Melson, Gary Bell Jr. and EMac, who were helping at the camp. As expected...Gary was quiet and just there to help. All three were class acts with parents and the kids. Melson mentioned heading back overseas to play for one of three teams, including Israel. He looks in top shape. Anyone see the scrimmages? Mod’s...if any of this is off limits, please remove. Peace to all!
    montanazag88
    P....A....TIENCE!

Thanks for your fun, personal post. I enjoyed it as much, and maybe more, than if you had written a post about how these guys look on the court. I'm one fan who enjoys getting to know the personal side of the players, ie' what they are like off the court. I'm quite happy that Timme really impressed you with his size and persona. I think that's good news. It also sounds like Tillie has such a great personality I think he will keep the guys lose when they begin to feel the stress of close games.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Thank you for the update -- I am interested to see who steps up to lead the team -- A very important role that some of the transfers may be hesitant to take on and some of the freshman may just be trying to wrap their heads around college life.

This will be an interesting year.

Quote Originally Posted by montanazag88 View Post
    Just returned from vacation which included sending our kids to the Zags Fundamentals camp. All the players were there with the exception of Ballo, who the camp counselors said will not arrive until “the fall.” Zakharov was in street clothes and only made a couple of appearances...looked as if he had other commitments during the camp.

It was nice to see these guys up close, but I did not get to the scrimmages in the evenings, so take all of this with a grain of salt. Appearances suggest Timme is a beast....kind of walks with a natural “tough guy” swagger and his young build backs it up - long arms, big feet and hands and broad shoulders...and has a little personality. He just looks intimidating and with the potential to get himself and others emotionally charged. Anton Watson was a little quiet but confident and is much taller looking in person - has a bigger frame than I was expecting, as does Arlauskas. Philip looked the same and was quiet, but a camp favorite for a dunk or two for the campers who were chanting at him to flush a couple. Tillie, as expected, was one of the camp favorites....a nice guy who was engaged with the kids the entire time. Guilder and Woolridge were there...hung out together a little during the breaks. Guilder has a very strong upper body and was perhaps the most gregarious at camp. Yet compared to prior years (Perkins and Norvell), he and the rest of the team were fairly subdued. Personal opinion here, yet there seems to be an opportunity/need for Guidler and Woolridge to take a leadership role given their experience. Kispert was the most comfortable in the crowd, made a half court shot for the kids and engaged campers most of the week during free shoot. Ayayi, according to my kids, spoke with less of an accent than Tillie and joked around quite a bit. Ravet was there....did not see him much. Again, wish there was time to get to the scrimmage. Finally, saw Silas Melson, Gary Bell Jr. and EMac, who were helping at the camp. As expected...Gary was quiet and just there to help. All three were class acts with parents and the kids. Melson mentioned heading back overseas to play for one of three teams, including Israel. He looks in top shape. Anyone see the scrimmages? Mod’s...if any of this is off limits, please remove. Peace to all!
    That is a fantastic rundown and likely more reliable than even the good-willed takeaways from scrimmages. Your observations on just how the kids carry themselves is likely as important at this time as any basketball report.

Highly appreciated.
    Mark Twain.

montanazag88 for threeeeeeee !!!

Nuttin' but net.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    That is a fantastic rundown and likely more reliable than even the good-willed takeaways from scrimmages. Your observations on just how the kids carry themselves is likely as important at this time as any basketball report.

Highly appreciated.
    It's amazing how much (fairly reliable) information can be gleaned from a few moments of body language observation.

Hope to see Gilder bringing the team together and being a leader - with Timme the head of the "pack" of freshmen.

Very cool update! Thanks so much.

good enough update for me! And yes, seniors are going to need to show their character. Engage and lead is a must. I would love to hear Timme and Sacre banter back and forth lol

Default Kind of just wanted to add this...

...'cause it's so cool. 247's Top-100 (not composite)

#40 - Anton Watson
    #44 - Martynas Arlauskas
    #46 - Pavel Zakharov
    #55 - Drew Timme
    #64 - Oumar Ballo
    #99 - Brock Ravet

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Ba...oup=HighSchool

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Left out one fun fact....during lunch break in the Mac, campers and parents were allowed to sit and eat in the west bleachers while watching a replay of the Maui Classic Championship vs. Duke on all four sides of the center court jumbo screens and on both end-line jumbo screens. It was a bit surreal....the players stopped to watch the game. One young camper was bold enough to root for Duke...the campers around him mostly let him vocalize and it worked itself out. Loved the decision to show the game to the campers....the full version that included commentary from Bilas. I am positive it gave the new guys a shot of adrenaline. Coach Few's office (which is a suite with a large window to the Mac on the main concourse) was lit the whole time....working the phones with recruits, I imagine. Apologies for the lingering post...thought this was amusing. Peace!
    montanazag88
    P....A....TIENCE!

Thanks montanazag88! Great to hear.

Edit— was responding to your post from this morning while you sent the second tidbit at the same time. Not saying I hated the second post, mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    ...'cause it's so cool. 247's Top-100 (not composite)

#40 - Anton Watson
    #44 - Martynas Arlauskas
    #46 - Pavel Zakharov
    #55 - Drew Timme
    #64 - Oumar Ballo
    #99 - Brock Ravet

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Ba...oup=HighSchool

Cool list indeed, but Timme’s a little low. Or a lot low.

Montana you have an easy way with words. Thanks for the report.much appreciated.

Left out one fun fact....during lunch break in the Mac, campers and parents were allowed to sit and eat in the west bleachers while watching a replay of the Maui Classic Championship vs. Duke on all four sides of the center court jumbo screens and on both end-line jumbo screens. It was a bit surreal....the players stopped to watch the game. One young camper was bold enough to root for Duke...the campers around him mostly let him vocalize and it worked itself out. Loved the decision to show the game to the campers....the full version that included commentary from Bilas. I am positive it gave the new guys a shot of adrenaline. Coach Few's office (which is a suite with a large window to the Mac on the main concourse) was lit the whole time....working the phones with recruits, I imagine. Apologies for the lingering post...thought this was amusing. Peace!
    Apology?

You've made the thread wonderful, with each post.

Throw out any apologies, and favor us again by becoming a regular poster. We're never happier than when someone chimes in far more often, even mundane topics.

You are more than welcome here always.
    Mark Twain.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    Cool list indeed, but Timme’s a little low. Or a lot low.
    The thing catching this fan's eye is 247's high regard for Arlauskas. They have him as our second best recruit. Wondering what they're seeing/liking.

Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!