Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: only 3 sessions left to watch new guys

I stand corrected. I looked up their team stats because I couldn’t believe it and they did only have eight with significant minutes. It just baffles me.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

So who will be Zagís great 8 this year?

Having re-read this entire thread and appreciative of the context given to those minutes per game stats from pre Sweet 16 run days, Iím thinking Zags will ultimately go w an 8 man rotation per usual...9 max. Very difficult to predict who those 8-9 players will be outside of: Tillie, Kispert, Gilder and probably Woolridge assuming all 4 are healthy and the latter two, particularly Woolridge as PG, pick up and embrace Zagís system.

One thing is for certain, this team is gonna know how to compete w all they got all the time they get on the court because thatís what practice will demand of them:

These guys competing for 4 spots if you accept my above premise:

Ravet, Ayayi, Watson, Arlauskas for backcourt/wing minutes.
    Petrusev, Timme, Ballo, Zakharov, Watson
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    So who will be Zagís great 8 this year?

Having re-read this entire thread and appreciative of the context given to those minutes per game stats from pre Sweet 16 run days, Iím thinking Zags will ultimately go w an 8 man rotation per usual...9 max. Very difficult to predict who those 8-9 players will be outside of: Tillie, Kispert, Gilder and probably Woolridge assuming all 4 are healthy and the latter two, particularly Woolridge as PG, pick up and embrace Zagís system.

One thing is for certain, this team is gonna know how to compete w all they got all the time they get on the court because thatís what practice will demand of them:

These guys competing for 4 spots if you accept my above premise:

Ravet, Ayayi, Watson, Arlauskas for backcourt/wing minutes.
    Petrusev, Timme, Ballo, Zakharov, Watson
    My guess at the top 8 by minutes (assuming no major injuries):

Gilder/Kispert/Tillie/Petrusev

Woolridge/Ayayi/Timme/Watson

There are 4 games, including the one practice game that is closed, where all twelve players will see playing time. The best way to evaluate a player is to see him in a game against an another team. There is not a lot of time to evaluate players this year because the Tournament in the Bahamas comes early in the season and the Zags will face some elite teams in that tournament.

The incoming freshmen are too good to just sit and watch. My guess is that Few will play more than 8 players this year. IMO there's a 65% chance that Few will use a 10 player rotation, and a 35% chance that that rotation will be a 12 player rotation. What I'm saying is that there's a very good chance to see a ten player rotation, and a fair chance that we'll see a 12 player rotation. If I'm right I'll be really happy because I really like this freshmen class and I want to see them all play in the games. And then maybe by the time the conference tournament approaches, Few might cut the rotation to 8 players. He'll have a good idea by that time who his top 8 players are. However, I do believe we'll see more than 8 players playing at the end of the year. These freshmen are going to be really good.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    And since then, Gonzaga has advanced to five (5) consecutive Sweet 16's, or beyond.

Only Duke, UNC, & Kansas ever achieved that streak.

Coincidence or not?
    I don't think it's a coincidence at all. I actually like a shorter bench. I didn't like it when Few was playing 9 or 10 guys.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    My guess at the top 8 by minutes (assuming no major injuries):

Gilder/Kispert/Tillie/Petrusev

Woolridge/Ayayi/Timme/Watson
    I don't know if Ballo will start from day 1 but I believe after watching the FIBA's that he is the best big on the roster. Before the FIBA's I thought he was going to redshirt just because of his age. But after watching him he is going to dominate at times this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    I don't know if Ballo will start from day 1 but I believe after watching the FIBA's that he is the best big on the roster. Before the FIBA's I thought he was going to redshirt just because of his age. But after watching him he is going to dominate at times this year.
    He will have to learn to adjust to a much faster pace of play and actually play in a set offence and defence. It's a huge step for these kids to come to a D1 school. Filip and Joel looked good agaisnt FIBA competition last year and struggled against the wcc. I hope him the best but let's be realistic in his ability this season.

I think Timme is going to be the standout freshman this season. A lot of experience against top young D1 type players.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I would bet the exact opposite. I've listened to both on extended interviews and they know their stuff. I've heard Lunardi field random questions from fans across the country and he doesn't miss a beat. Not only does he know who the players are and their skillsets, he knows how they will fit in with whatever system they are a part of.

You are way off base here and it is insulting.

Hi Markburn1 - Who am I insulting? (by speculating that Lunardi doesn't know about Arlauskas) The player? The bracketologist? Reborn, who thinks Lundardi and his peers' knowledge of Arlauskas accounts for their high preseason Zag rating?

I emailed Joe Lunardi last week, who works at fellow Jesuit University St. Joe's. I simply asked he settle a gentleman's bet. Lunardi returned from summer break and responded to my email and said he had never heard of Martynas Arlauskas. I'm happy to send you his response if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Hi Markburn1 - Who am I insulting? (by speculating that Lunardi doesn't know about Arlauskas) The player? The bracketologist? Reborn, who thinks Lundardi and his peers' knowledge of Arlauskas accounts for their high preseason Zag rating?

I emailed Joe Lunardi last week, who works at fellow Jesuit University St. Joe's. I simply asked he settle a gentleman's bet. Lunardi returned from summer break and responded to my email and said he had never heard of Martynas Arlauskas. I'm happy to send you his response if you want.
    Whoa. Face.