Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Gonzaga win a National Championship in the Next Ten Years ??

Default Will Gonzaga win a National Championship in the Next Ten Years ??

Sports Illustrated thinks so....and identifies several others like Texas Tech.... it could happen.

There’s reason to think that the West Coast Conference won’t give Gonzaga enough of a test in the regular season, yet the Zags have shown in March that they have it in them to run with the more traditional blue bloods.

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...purdue-memphis

10 seasons is such a small number, and NCAA tourneys all being single-elimination also contributes to eventual champions/non-champs being subject to The Law of Small Numbers.

I think it's entirely possible that Gonzaga could win 2 championships in 10 year, and it's entirely possible they win 0 and make 0 title games.

I do think that the eventual most likely path to a championship is to keep entering each march ranked in the top 10-12 and with a balanced offense and defense and receiving a top 3 seed. Doing that repeatedly, in my view, is a better path than having 1in4 years as a top 3 squad.

It's hard to make the sweet 16, and once you do, you still have to go 4-0 against the best teams in the nation, none of which is there by accident. I think the road to a championship will most likely mean just being among that top tier (or 2nd tier and firing in March) over numerous seasons until the dice roll in our favor.

Wow, there are some real out of left field choices in that article. Seton Hall? Really? Memphis? Hardaway has 1 year of HC experience under his belt, not much to base that off of. I know Rick Barnes is a Few friend and he has many fans on this board, but I don't see anything from his long coaching career that indicates he'll take a team to a National Championship. He's had a nice run at Tennessee but was an underachiever at Texas. And even w/ 2 really good regular seasons in a row w/ the Vols they kinda flopped in the Tourney. I feel safe in saying he'll never win a Title.

Gonzaga has as much chance of a championship as the Clippers for the next decade.

It all depends on the referees.

Yes. 2 or 3. Biggest chore is keeping the horses at home and not bolting for the NBA. For example if we had RUI and Clarke stay with Admon here and some of the present Zags, we'd get a title. Just an example of the major kids that we lose too often that subtracts from the title hopes. Timme, Gallo, Petrusev, Tillie.............all superior players. Corey's defense picks up........and his shooting is good enough. It then comes down to having superior guards. Just can't predict on those just yet.
    So who exactly is a FF/championship guard ( ie 1 and 2 spots) . Nigel was..........I think Pangos was as well.

We need those guards and to develop and keep the bigs. We'll find a championship. We were close the past 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Yes. 2 or 3. Biggest chore is keeping the horses at home and not bolting for the NBA. For example if we had RUI and Clarke stay with Admon here and some of the present Zags, we'd get a title. Just an example of the major kids that we lose too often that subtracts from the title hopes. Timme, Gallo, Petrusev, Tillie.............all superior players. Corey's defense picks up........and his shooting is good enough. It then comes down to having superior guards. Just can't predict on those just yet.
    So who exactly is a FF/championship guard ( ie 1 and 2 spots) . Nigel was..........I think Pangos was as well.

We need those guards and to develop and keep the bigs. We'll find a championship. We were close the past 3 years.
    The fact that Perkins name was not thrown in here is disgusting

Yes
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phxfireflames View Post
    Gonzaga has as much chance of a championship as the Clippers for the next decade.
    So your saying there is a chance...

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Agree. Can only happen if the playing field is level.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Refs already stole one NC from Zags and a berth in the F4 last year.

Ten Years? That's forever to me. My prediction is that we'll win one in the next 3 years. And two in the next 7.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Well Josh is a beloved player. He had 4 years. Josh should have shot more. He deferred too much. Does he have the talent.?? Sure. But it didn't happen. It's nothing personal.

- yes, of course they 'could' win a championship in next 10 years......, as some suggest maybe more than one.
    - the why is the trajectory of talent has clearly sky rocketed in the last 4 years. we will compete with the best teams year in and year out.
    - but then again, in a one loss and your out tourney.........no team can in my opinion expect a championship, any year, or expect one in a window of 5, 10, 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Well Josh is a beloved player. He had 4 years. Josh should have shot more. He deferred too much. Does he have the talent.?? Sure. But it didn't happen. It's nothing personal.
    I didn't know it was possible to high for 5 straight years.

The undervaluing of the all time assist record holder has a long history with a segment of this board.

High?
    I didn't know it was possible to high for 5 straight years.

[QUOT That’s it May! He deferred too much. E=maynard g krebs;1472090]The undervaluing of the all time assist record holder has a long history with a segment of this board.[/QUOTE]
    I think Josh should have shot more. Be clear though: I’m not critical of Josh.seems like anyone who doesn’t think he was “the second coming” is trashed . Just my opinion.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 07-25-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phxfireflames View Post
    The Clippers have a 0% chance to win a National Championship.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    The Clippers have a 0% chance to win a National Championship.
    So your saying there is not a chance....

I predict we make the Final Four at least once in 2021, ‘22, and ‘23. A championship is then a very realistic possibility. Need good fortune no matter who you are

ZRW - With respect to Abe, Rui and BC COULD have stayed one more year as they still had eligibility remaining. Josh did not. I doubt there are too many people that would not be happy to have Josh on our team at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    ZRW - With respect to Abe, Rui and BC COULD have stayed one more year as they still had eligibility remaining. Josh did not. I doubt there are too many people that would not be happy to have Josh on our team at any time.
    This was my point. MDABE80 was saying a championship team needs a championship level guard (which I completely agree with). He was giving Pangos and NWG as examples and I found it..........interesting that he left out Perkins.

a championship guard like John Stockton or Dan D. who had successful careers in the NBA.

Is Turiaf our only big that had a door to the NBA but chose to stay with the zags another year? The ultimate zag. Could we say that about Elias Harris at the end of his first year?
    I can't think of another big that hung around one more year. Since 2003 when I got zag fever. I don't know much before then,
    remember when
    USF use to try to game us with their claims to the Championship game and their title, and Bill Russell?
    of course I didn't buy their reasoning but I only dreamed as high as Elite 8 or Final Four in a perfect storm for us. It is hard to appreciate fully how far this program has come.
    and
    if a team averages in the top 8 ranking for 8 years, the odds are not unreasonable, we have 3 or 4 years running right now ...