Thread: BYU's Emery Quits

Default BYU's Emery Quits

Here the link - https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-co...ery-announces/

Hopefully Wade benefits with more time and he makes the most of it.

Does any Zag WCC opponent, let alone a BYU kid, have such a such a disappointing pro conflicted trajectory following a good first season? This guy shot the lights out in the WCC tourney game vs the Wiltjer and Sabonis (11seed) team which probably needed that win to keep the streak alive.

No Emery, childs, or hartnett at BYU next year.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Here the link - https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-co...ery-announces/

Hopefully Wade benefits with more time and he makes the most of it.

Does any Zag WCC opponent, let alone a BYU kid, have such a such a disappointing pro conflicted trajectory following a good first season? This guy shot the lights out in the WCC tourney game vs the Wiltjer and Sabonis (11seed) team which probably needed that win to keep the streak alive.

No Emery, childs, or hartnett at BYU next year.
    Childs came back.

Emery quit a long time ago and became a Uber driver with his Jetta....

Default Emery Out

"The NCAA last year placed the [BYU] men's basketball program on probation for two years and said it must vacate 47 wins from Emery's freshman and sophomore seasons.

The NCAA said Emery received more than $12,000 in benefits from four boosters, including travel to concerts and an amusement park, and the use of a new car."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-investigation

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Auburn, Creighton and Kansas also sweating it out:
    "Auburn is one of several schools under NCAA scrutiny as a result of the federal government's investigation. Last week, NC State announced it had received a notice of allegations from the NCAA regarding the Wolfpack's recruitment of former star player Dennis Smith Jr. The NCAA alleged two Level I violations (the most serious) against the school, including a failure-to-monitor charge against former coach Mark Gottfried, who has since been hired at Cal State Northridge.

Sources have told ESPN that the NCAA is actively investigating Arizona, Creighton, Kansas, Louisville, LSU and USC."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...egations-hoops

vacating 47 wins from the 16-17 season and the 17-18 season should affect:
    Few's win loss stats, the teams win loss records for those two seasons,
    and,
    home loss statistics for Kennel II,
    right?

It would be nice if their 32-1 regular season changes to an undefeated 32-0.

In my head, I thought Emery was done already. The rules are what they are, but this next year would have been 7 years since he graduated high school.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    In my head, I thought Emery was done already. The rules are what they are, but this next year would have been 7 years since he graduated high school.
    Players who go on a mission are allowed to play until the age of 45, or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    He lived a full and very difficult lifetime in those seven years: National attention for being a dirty player that killed the BYU-Utah rivalry for awhile, 2 year mission which is waaaaayyy harder than people realize, married very young and went through a nasty divorce, struggled with depression and came close to taking his own life, took a year off at BYU during the investigation which led to BYU vacating 47 wins and other sanctions, remarried a widowed woman that already had a child (not that this is a negative, they seem genuinely happy but it is still a lot of baggage for a 24 year old) and now retiring a year early from basketball. As much as I didn't like Emery as a player I really hope he finds happiness, stability and fulfillment in his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    He lived a full and very difficult lifetime in those seven years: National attention for being a dirty player that killed the BYU-Utah rivalry for awhile, 2 year mission which is waaaaayyy harder than people realize, married very young and went through a nasty divorce, struggled with depression and came close to taking his own life, took a year off at BYU during the investigation which led to BYU vacating 47 wins and other sanctions, remarried a widowed woman that already had a child (not that this is a negative, they seem genuinely happy but it is still a lot of baggage for a 24 year old) and now retiring a year early from basketball. As much as I didn't like Emery as a player I really hope he finds happiness, stability and fulfillment in his life.
    Agree. Best of luck, young man.

Well said.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

"difficult"?????.....maybe my father had it easy then, entering the Navy at 17, sneaking in actually, and fighting in the Pacific in WW2.....now THAT was difficult.....

athletes are usually pampered, given full ride scholarships, every need taken care of. when an athlete is caught taking gifts from boosters, it probably is just the tip of the iceberg.......I don't feel a bit sorry for him...

More like a quit than a retirement.

Agreed. Hopefully smoother sailing ahead.

Emery is no victim.....he is responsible for his choices.....

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    vacating 47 wins from the 16-17 season and the 17-18 season should affect:
    Few's win loss stats, the teams win loss records for those two seasons,
    and,
    home loss statistics for Kennel II,
    right?
    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    It would be nice if their 32-1 regular season changes to an undefeated 32-0.
    Unfortunately, I believe we still tally the loss, they just don’t get the win. The W/L doesn’t need to balance like it does in accounting or human logic.

Thanks for feedback ZagDon,
    i was hoping it would be like the olympics, when any of the podium medals are taken away, 4th place gets a bronze metal, etc.at least I think I have seen something like with that with Marion Jones being stripped of her medals.
    that is a lot simpler than changing the record books for dozens of schools at a time.

There is no way you can take away a win....except on paper …..who cares.....maybe the coach.... the only exception imo would be a National Championship...

Beating BYU just got a little tougher.