Thread: Wbb FanFest this Saturday, October 12, 2019

Default Wbb FanFest this Saturday, October 12, 2019

Gonzaga's Wbb FanFest is scheduled for this Saturday, October 12, 2019 with gates opening at 3:00 PM and festivities beginning at 4:00 PM. A few questions to determine if the board has woken up for the 2019-2020 Lady Zag season.

Are you planning to go to FanFest this year?

Who do you think will win the 3-pt shooting competition?

Who will win the skills competition?

What are you looking forward to seeing at FanFest this year?

Have you purchased your WCC championship tickets yet?

Nope, won't do it. No answers from me until somebody else responds first.

WAKE UP!!!! Lady Zag fans. It is only 3 weeks until the first exhibition game.

ZagDad

- yes
    - smart money is on Katie Campbell (3pt contest)
    - maybe one of the new troung girls.............in these competitions the team/coaches usually pick just 4 players ahead of time to participate.
    - always look forward to see the new cheerleaders, and which one is assigned to be in front me, in section 106.
    - nay, probably will not head down to vegas this year

yes, going to fan fest...yes going to Vegas and have bought tickets(the cheapest) and have had hotel reservations for at least a month....LF will probably win the 3 Pointer....I don't remember anything about this skills competition.......I hope to see a good crowd there and I hope to see a happy cohesive team...Hope to see some Zag fans that I haven't seen for a while.

I am ready....

Yes....

Cierra on the 3s
    Jess on skills
    Kylee for the want to see
    No on the WCC

Go Zags!!

I'll be there.
    I'll go with Katie on the 3's.
    Jessie on Skills.
    Seeing a lot of basketball friends at the event.
    Won't be making the WCC playoffs.
    This will be my 11th year as a women's season ticket holder. The surrounding seats have all been filled by the same people every year, and hope to see that continue for years to come. Looking forward to another great and entertaining season.

Thanks to one and all for the participation in our little pre-season poll. It is great to get the gang back together before the season. Hopefully a few members will chime in before FanFest.

Interesting that on the 3-point shooting we have 2 for Katie, 1 for Louise and 1 for Cierra.

- Yep, I am planning to go to FanFest
    - I am going with Downtown Townsend for my 3-point pick. 2nd best 3 point shooter on the team last year and all summer to practice the 3.
    - I am going with Kayleigh for the skills competition. Jessie has nothing to prove and I think Kayleigh will want to win.
    - Team wise, I want to see if we are going to play at a faster pace? Is LF going to see a bigger role this year? Who is going to step up and play the "refuse to lose" role so well played by Laura and Zee last year? Is the continuity of last year's team going to continue? Finally, how do the freshman play under the bright lights of the big stage?
    - Yes, going to Vegas, already purchased my all-session tickets. Just starting to look for those flight/hotel deals.

Only 2 more days to FanFest.

Go Zags,

ZagDad
    -

-Yes, we will be there
    -Katie for 3!!!
    -I can’t remember what’s involved in the skills competition
    -Can’t wait to see Cavebear, Section 116, and the rest of our group. Also looking forward to seeing the new folks.
    -Not sure if we will be there in person, but always in spirit.

fan fest....

maybe 500 people......people lined up shortly after 2 pm it seemed....

Rob Sacre was passing out ST's ....sadly he wasn't in my line...

lots of players miling about.....Truongs very friendly and seemed taller then I imagined....

Ana had a stunning weave which she said she had done professionally.....very nice....

saw Katie's dad and LF' mom....think Jesse's family was there at least there was a bunch of people wearing Loera shirts..

if you picked up a rolled up poster which was laying on the front table where the schedules were, take a look......apparently some or all of the rolled up ones were of the men's team......saw a couple after the fest go up to the table and RETURN the men's poster and take only the women's......lol....

3 point contest won surprisingly by Jess.....she was deadly....Katie beat Louise ...Katie was laughingly upset that she was forced to go to the other end for the 2nd round while Jess was able to shoot the 2nd round from her position in the first.....

scrimmage itself was okay.....Truongs are impressive to me because they are not afraid to mix it up, bring the ball into the middle, to play hard and shoot when open.

Ana had a couple of good drives to the basket but wasn't able to finish.....if she gets that down, she'll be a force....she seems to be "big" to me....she could be intimidating if she wanted to....

Jess was all over the place...slapping at the ball, shooting when she could, bringing the ball up with purpose....she.....is....ready.....

Jilly T had her patented turnaround jump shot plus a three..kind of hit the floor hard but I think she brushed it off pretty well, although they did take her out then..

LF played hard, couple of rebounds,fought for a steal........

the Wirths were shooting from the perimeter, not hitting much but showing a lot of confidence...boy, if we could get those two to be threats on the outside, our inside game could be monstrous....

can't say a lot about all the players.....scrimmages are not that long and a little chaotic.....

overall the tea seems fast, ready to get the ball up the court quickly, and seemed to all be in good shape.

I think the trip to Europe really helped what with the extra practices....

because I notice these things, saw the Fortier's little girl give her daddy a big hug just before the scrimmage.....and Calvin joined the girls in the hand slaps after the scrimmage...

good time and looking ready to see how we compete.....

Good stuff Sylean. Did notice the women Zags catching up with knee protection this year, quite of few ladies sporting the white sleeve knee protectors. Its a nice option to have. Chuckle new twins wearing matching headbands. Good to see everyone on the team is healthy and ready to go. Looks like the ladies had a fun night with lots of smiles.

Thanks for the play-by-play Sylean. Good stuff.

Here is some highlights from the Spokesman-Review:

As true freshman guard Kayleigh Truong drove the lane for the Red team, junior Jill Townsend was waiting deep in the paint – the same spot on the court where her sophomore season ended so painfully last year. Neither player flinched. Truong kept driving and Townsend stood her ground until she was flattened. A nanosecond later, Townsend was back on her feet and feisty as ever – emphatically answering the biggest offseason question in Zagland. “I just wish I’d gotten the charge,” Townsend said with a big grin, after a block was called on the play. “It’s just good to be back,” added Townsend, who said she was pain-free after seeing 14 1/2 minutes of action out of a possible 16.
    Self-improvement was the major subplot as coach Lisa Fortier sat at the scorer’s table while her assistants ran the show. One major question: Who will get the big minutes off the bench? The coaches aren’t saying, but the starting five is probably set: guards Jessie Loera and Katie Campbell, Townsend, and forwards Jenn and LeeAnne Wirth. Behind them, half a dozen players are scrapping for playing time. They include Truong and her twin sister Kaylynne, sophomore forward Melody Kempton, junior guard Louise Forsyth, redshirt freshman guard Kylee Griffen and post Anamaria Virjoghe.
    Entire article can be viewed at: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...les-new-blood/

Nobody picked the correct winner of the 3-point contest - Congrats Jessie.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    Good stuff Sylean. Did notice the women Zags catching up with knee protection this year, quite of few ladies sporting the white sleeve knee protectors. Its a nice option to have. Chuckle new twins wearing matching headbands. Good to see everyone on the team is healthy and ready to go. Looks like the ladies had a fun night with lots of smiles.

while I did not see the younger twins together, KayLEE said she wears 3 piercings when able while sister kayLYNN wears only two.......I have to admit I still can not figure out the Wirths.....

another note, because I like to observe the little things...all the girls wore red sneaks except Jesse and one of the Wirths....

Fun to see the team...

Think we have a great starting 5... and while time will tell, the potential on the bench is there.

The twins... have the Wirths down but will need time for the Troungs. K11 is the 1... K14 is the 2.

One thing I had a concern with was KG... shoulder brace and at the end, put K14 on the blue instead of playing KG.
    Hope nothing serious...

Just a couple of weeks...

Go Zags!!

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    .......I have to admit I still can not figure out the Wirths........
    LeeAnne parts her hair to her left. Jenn parts her hair slightly to her right. (Easy to remember..... LeeAnne = Left,.... Jenn = right.)

Thanks to all who have posted here. Being 280 miles away with family commitments (lots of grandchilrdren...), I usually can not make it over this time of the year.

Go Lady Zags!

Photo Gallery from the Spokesman Review of Saturday's FanFest:

Photo Gallery Link: https://www.spokesman.com/galleries/...t-oct-12-2019/

Good memories for those who could not attend.

ZagDad