Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Former Zag Vandersloot Named WNBA All-Star

Post Former Zag Vandersloot Named WNBA All-Star

Former Zag Vandersloot Named WNBA All-Star

Second career All-Star appearance for Vandersloot

NEW YORK – Former Gonzaga women's basketball standout Courtney Vandersloot is among 22 players to be named 2019 WNBA All-Stars, the league offices announced Monday.

Vandersloot, along with fellow Chicago Sky teammates Allie Quigley and Diamond DeShields, were among 12 players chosen from across the league to serve as reserves at the AT&T WNBA All-Star, set for July 27 in Las Vegas. Reserves were selected by the league's head coaches; coaches were not able to vote for their own players. The 10 starters for the AT&T WNBA All-Star 2019, announced on July 11, were selected by fans, current players and media.

"I'm really excited to be selected to this year's All-Star team," Vandersloot told the Sky. "Every year, there are plenty of deserving players, so to be one of the 22 selected is an honor. And to share it with two of my teammates makes it that much better."

This will be the second time Vandersloot has appeared in the WNBA All-Star game, and the first time in eight years since making her debut during her rookie season at the 2011 All-Star Game. The Kent, Wash., native currently averages 9.7 points, 8.2 assists and 4.4 rebounds per game, and she most recently moved into the No. 7 spot on the WNBA's all-time assists list. This season, she surpassed 1,500 career assists, the second fastest player to do so behind Ticha Penicheiro, and her 8.2 assists per game leads the league. She broke the single-season assists record a season ago, finishing the 2018 campaign with 257 assists, and the same season she made history by becoming the first WNBA player to deliver 50 assists in just four games.

In the 2011 WNBA Draft, she became the first Bulldog player in school history to be drafted in the first round of the WNBA, as she was the third overall pick, taken by the Chicago Sky.

Vandersloot, the three-time West Coast Conference Player of the Year, was also was named to the Associated Press All-America Team second-team and State Farm Coaches' All-America Basketball team, USBWA All-America, the Nancy Lieberman Award winner as the top point guard in the nation, and is the Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award winner.

The AT&T WNBA All-Star 2019 will take place July 27 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The 16th WNBA All-Star Game will be televised live on ABC at 12:30 p.m. PT.

Gonzaga Article Link

Finally. Much deserved!
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Was wondering if she would get in there.

Great job, Sloot!!
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

It's about time. It seems like she's getting a lot more credit and respect this year. You go girl!

Unfortunately, the all-star starter selections are based on fan votes, and it is all about the popularity. Sloot is not flashy, outspoken and constantly in the media. In addition, Sloot plays for the Chicago Sky which have not made the playoffs the last 3 years and have one of the WNBA's worst attendance, so hard to get fan votes.

Coaches select the reserves but they seem to be fixated on scoring stats. Sloot is 40th in the WNBA in scoring at 9.7 ppg so her scoring numbers don't justify all-star status.

Unfortunately it seems nobody values the floor general, the assist leader (second fastest to 1,500 assists in WNBA history), the person who looks to pass first before shooting, type of player for their all-star and Olympic teams. It is all about the scoring numbers.

Nice to see CV finally get some acknowledgement for her hard work. Unfortunately, unless she gets her scoring numbers up, I fear she will continue to be frequently overlooked for the all-star team.

ZagDad

Thought I'd just tag this on to an existing post rather than starting a new one. The Sky have 7 regular season games remaining. Sloot has accumulated 231 assists, 27 behind her single season record from last year (although she only played in 30 of the 34 games). She's averaging nearly 9 per game. As long as she doesn't miss games she should easily break her own record. She also recently moved to #6 on the career assist list and should pass Becky Hammon early next season to break into the top 5.

Hey SeaCat,

I have been following CV all year long. Their are five (5) players still above CV in total assists and two (2) of them (Sue Bird & Diana Taurasi) are still active. Both Bird and Taurasi have been out most of this year with injuries so they have not significantly added to their assist total this year. Bird is out at least through the regular season, Taurasi has just been activated but she must sit out the next game (she was suspended) but will probably play the last six (6) or so remaining regular season games and the playoffs.

I believe both Bird (39) and Taurasi (37) will play through next year as it is an Olympic year and both want to be on the USA Olympic team. I think Bird will retire after the 2020 season, Taurasi may or may not play a couple of additional years.

If CV plays in the WNBA long enough, avoids serious injury, plays somewhere close to her current level of play and her teammates continue to make shots, (A lot of ifs, ands as well as buts) CV could be the all-time assist leader. While that is quite of few assumptions, it is not really reaching too far. If CV finishes the current year at the same rate of assists she will have somewhere near 1675 total assists at the end of the year and if we assume Taurasi averages 3.5 APG in her remaining games this year and for all games next year and Sue Bird averages 6.5 APG next year, CV would be this far behind each of the five people in front of her on the all-time WNBA assists leaderboard. If CV would continue to average at least 225 assists per year (She had 258 assists last year and will beat that this year), it would take the following number of years to catch each of the players remaining above her for total assists in a career.

Sue Bird +1370 (After 2020) To catch = 6.1 Years
    Ticha Penicheiro +924 To catch = 4.1 Years
    Lindsey Whalen +673 To catch = 3.0 Years
    Diana Taurasi + 300 (After 2020) To catch = 1.3 Years (If CV does not catch Taurasi next year she will the following year no matter if Taurasi plays or not)
    Becky Hammon +33 To catch = 0.15 Years

Considering that CV is just 30 years old, she certainly could play until she is 36 or 37 (Taurasi's current age) years old if she desired and become the all-time WNBA assist leader. Will She - Stay tuned.

I personally find it interesting to compare the other numbers of the true point guards that are above and just below CV in the all-time assist leaderboard. Numbers such as steals, blocks, turnovers, shooting percentage, etc. to see where CV stacks up across the board against the other best point guards of all time. For example, despite playing at least 160 games fewer than anybody else in the Top 7 point guards (on the assist leaderboard) 5'8" CV has almost twice as many blocks as anybody in the top 7 except for the 6'0" Taurasi. If you project her steals per game over the next 160 games (about 5 years) CV will move up to 3rd on the assists leaderboard in total steals but would be only 14th on the overall steals leaderboard. No chance CV will lead the WNBA in both assists and steals like her fellow Zag.

CV is second in the Top 7 on the assists leaderboard in total shooting percentage at 44.2% only trailing Lindsay Whalen at 46.1%. In 3-point shooting percentage (among the Top 7 on the assists leaderboard) CV currently ranks 4th at 34.7% trailing Taurasi (36.9%), Hammon (37.8%) and Bird (38.9%).

Here is the link to the all-time WNBA assists leaderboard: https://stats.wnba.com/alltime-leade...atCategory=AST

ZagDad

Fun stuff to track ZagDad. I figured Bird is putting the record up there where it will be tough to reach, but passing everybody else is certainly very attainable as long as Vandersloot wants to continue playing. As you've demonstrated catching Bird isn't impossible. Vandersloot's other career numbers look good compared to her peers. It's strange how little publicity she's gotten throughout her career. I guess being overlooked is par for the course for her. It still amazes me that she starred at a big school in the Puget Sound area yet from what I recall the entire Pac 12 ignored her in recruiting. I know she would've been a huge upgrade to the players the Huskies and Cougs used as PGs during those same years, probably same is true of every Pac 12 (was it still Pac 10 back then?) school. Maybe she fell in love with GU early on and was Spokane bound regardless of being snubbed by other western schools. Worked out very well for her and GU anyway. I do remember the Seattle Times was very high on her during her HS school career.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    It's strange how little publicity she's gotten throughout her career. I guess being overlooked is par for the course for her. It still amazes me that she starred at a big school in the Puget Sound area yet from what I recall the entire Pac 12 ignored her in recruiting. I know she would've been a huge upgrade to the players the Huskies and Cougs used as PGs during those same years, probably same is true of every Pac 12 (was it still Pac 10 back then?) school.
    Unfortunately, people are all about the offense. While assists, steals, blocks, rebounds, etc. are important to the team and winning, the general public and sports pundits are all about the fantastic plays, the buzzer beaters, the points, etc. While the record for assists in a year (as well as the average assists per game) will be broke in the next week or so, you have not heard a peep about it from the WNBA.

When your own league does not even promote players breaking (or soon to break) all-time records, you have a problem with the league. There is a reason the WNBA would not even exist if it was not heavily subsidized by the NBA.

ZagDad

9 assists/1 turnover, 15 points for Sloot tonight as the Sky beat the league leading Mystics. Chicago is nipping at LA's heels for the 4th seed in the playoffs, important because it carries a first round bye. Maybe 2 more games, 3 tops and Sloot should have a new record for single season assists.

9 assists/1 turnover, 15 points for Sloot tonight as the Sky beat the league leading Mystics. Chicago is nipping at LA's heels for the 4th seed in the playoffs, important because it carries a first round bye. Maybe 2 more games, 3 tops and Sloot should have a new record for single season assists.
    Don't forget the 8 rebounds, 3 steals, 50% shooting and 5-6 free throws. Not too bad a night for Sloot.

If you want to see something neat, watch the video where Sloot is having a jump ball against a Mystic Big. When the ref throws the ball up, the Mystic jumps for the ball, CV does not jump but runs past the jumping big. The Mystic big tips the ball behind her, but CV is now between the big and the Mystic player she is trying to tip the ball to. CV tips the ball and takes it down the court for a lay-up. The video is on the Chicago Sky twitter page. Scroll down the page to the video link with the title " Who needs height for a jump ball"

Chicago Sky twitter page link: https://twitter.com/wnbachicagosky

https://mobile.twitter.com/wnbachica...917824/video/1

I get about 240 assists so far this year (Sloot missed a game this year) so she has 19 to go before she breaks the record and 5 games to do it.

The Sky are 0.5 games behind LA and 1.5 games behind Las Vegas with 5 games to go in the race for the 3rd and 4th spots in the standing and a 1st round bye.

ZagDad
    Last edited by kitzbuel; 08-24-2019 at 03:21 AM.

Wow, I can honestly say I've never seen that before. Very heads up play. If you have no chance of winning a jump ball why not try to steal it instead.

13 more assists for Sloot today, Chicago wins again.

Sloot did not shoot very well today, only 2-10 for 20%, but she was 4-4 on her free throws. Her total score line tonight was:

9 points, 9 rebounds, 13 assists and 0 T/Os

After tonight Courtney now has 253 assists for the year, just 5 behind the league record of 258 she set last year. Ticha Penicheiro currently holds 2nd (236) and 3rd place (229) in the total assists per year (until this year is finished). CV is now averaging 9.0 apg this year with the league record being 8.6 apg set by CV last year with the current second place also being held by CV at 8.07 apg set in 2017.

The current record for the highest assists-per-game over a career (100 games minimum) is also held by CV at 6.01 apg (after tonight's game), with second place being Ticha Penicheiro at 5.72 apg and third place is Sue Bird at 5.57 apg.

CV has raised her assist-to-turnover ratio to 3.12 which is third in the WNBA. First place in the Assist to TOv ratio is Emma Meesseman a forward at 3.27 and second place is Natasha Cloud, a guard at 3.16. Meesseman has played less than 50% of the minutes Sloot has while Natasha Cloud has actually played 10% more minutes than CV.

Along with the Sky winning today, L.A. won tonight but Las Vegas lost, so the Sky are now 0.5 games behind both LA and Las Vegas for the 3rd or 4th place in the standings with 3rd and 4th place getting a first round bye. Chicago has one less game to play than LA and one game more to play than Las Vegas. LA has two more games to play than Las Vegas.

For their last five games the Sky play, 7th place Minnesota, 10th place Dallas, 8th place Phoenix and then finish up with #2 Connecticut and #1 Washington.

Coming down to the wire.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 08-25-2019 at 10:46 PM.

Yeah the playoff race is really tight. I think the 8 teams that are slotted to be in currently are all almost locks, would take an epic collapse by someone for any of the bottom 4 teams to move up. But the jockeying for seeding among those 8 teams can change significantly in the next 2 weeks.

I think Chicago has won 11 of their last 14, they're hot right now. LA is up and down and Las Vegas has stumbled a bit recently. They got Aja Wilson back from injury really late in the season, I don't think they've adjusted to her re-entering the lineup and they are running out of time. I'm not sure how well she and Cambage compliment each other. And I think Laimbeer still hasn't figured out who his team is. His rotation and distribution of minutes varies just about every game.

From ESPN:

Chicago Sky coming on strong as WNBA regular season winds down
    Mechelle Voepel
    espnW.com

After a weekend with the now-familiar twists and turns of this WNBA season, the playoff picture with two weeks to go remains up in the air -- which, appropriately enough, is working out for the Sky.

Chicago had two huge victories -- over first-place Washington on Friday and at Phoenix (with Diana Taurasi back) on Sunday -- to put the Sky in contention for a bye into the second round. And maybe even for the double-bye into the semifinals.

Pretty good stuff for a team that missed the playoffs the past two seasons, going a combined 25-43, and has a new coach this year. James Wade took the job saying he thought Chicago could be a contender. He was right.

When the dust had cleared Sunday night, the Mystics were on top of the WNBA at 21-8, followed by Connecticut (20-9), Los Angeles (18-10), Las Vegas (19-11), Chicago (18-11), Seattle (15-14), Minnesota (15-15) and Phoenix (13-15).

The weekend in brief went like this: the Mystics and the Sun were tied atop the league as of Friday night after Washington's loss to the Sky, and Connecticut's victory over Las Vegas. There were no games Saturday - deep breath - and then a full slate Sunday in which every team played and things got jumbled again.

Washington pulverized New York, while Connecticut had to fly cross-country and fell at Los Angeles, which for the first time all season is now at full strength and looking dangerous. Las Vegas lost to a Minnesota team that has climbed to .500 and should feel good about that with all the changes the Lynx have had to deal with.

Seattle clinched a playoff spot before taking the court (thanks to the Liberty's loss), which is no small deal considering the Storm have played this season without Breanna Stewart and Sue Bird, and were also without Jewell Loyd for a stretch. But then the Storm stumbled Sunday against Indiana (10-19), which hasn't quite been eliminated from playoff contention yet.

Atlanta (7-22), the league's last-place team, showed it still has some bite, too. It has been a nightmare season for the Dream without injured Angel McCoughtry, who created some intrigue last week with an Instagram post that said she planned to appear in the team's final regular-season game on Sept. 8. The post was worded in such a way that suggested maybe that might be it for her and the Dream. McCoughtry later changed the wording, and coach Nicki Collen said that McCoughtry hasn't been cleared to play yet anyway. So stay tuned on that one.

Still the Dream, after losing 12 in a row, won twice this weekend on the road: Friday at New York and Sunday at Dallas. This summer has been a big drop for a team that was one game from the WNBA Finals last year, but Atlanta hasn't given up despite being eliminated from the playoffs already. Even during the Dream's losing streak, they were playing close games. Two of them finally went Atlanta's way against two other teams expected to be in the draft lottery.

The Sky, meanwhile, have had four lottery picks over the last three drafts. Alaina Coates (No. 2 in 2017) didn't work out -- she's now in Atlanta -- but Diamond DeShields and Gabby Williams (Nos. 3-4 in 2018) and Katie Lou Samuelson (No. 4 2019) are part of the Sky's young core. DeShields has been the star, leading the Sky in scoring (15.7 PPG) and typically making at least one play a game that elicits gasps.

Williams is more of a role player, but one who helps defensively and brings energy whenever she's on court. Samuelson has been limited to 15 games because of injury, but there's still time for her to catch a little fire and help the Sky from behind the arc.

Stefanie Dolson (9.4 PPG), Cheyenne Parker (8.2) and Astou Ndour (5.2, but she has scored in double figures four of the last five games) patrol the inside. It's a shame that Jantel Lavender -- who came over in a preseason trade with Los Angeles and was averaging 10.0 points and 6.9 rebounds -- is out for the season with a foot injury suffered Aug. 9.

But Ndour has risen to the challenge of filling in for Lavender. There's a gritty, won't-back-down quality to the Sky's posts, who may not be marquee players but are getting the job done. Same goes for reserve wing Kahleah Copper (6.6 PPG).

Then of course, there's the heart of the Sky: the married-couple backcourt of Allie Quigley (14.0 PPG) and Courtney Vandersloot (11.3 PPG, league-best 9.0 APG). It's Quigley's seventh year with the Sky and Vandersloot's ninth, and they represent the backbone of the franchise.

In Sunday's 94-86 victory against the Mercury, Taurasi -- playing just her second game this season -- finished with 12 points but went 2-of-13 from the field. For Chicago, Quigley led the way with 24 points, with DeShields chipping in 18, Parker getting her third double-double (14 points, 12 rebounds) this season and first since June, and Vandersloot having a classic Sloot line: nine points, nine rebounds, 13 assists, zero turnovers.

The Sky's 85-78 victory Friday over Washington ended the Mystics' six-game winning streak and also helped Chicago get over a mental hurdle. It was the first time since Elena Delle Donne left Chicago for Washington going into the 2017 season that the Sky had beaten the Mystics. Delle Donne insisted on a trade, as had a previous high-profile No. 2 pick for the Sky, Sylvia Fowles, in 2015.

The Sky and their fans have had to deal with being a team that superstars wanted to leave, but maybe that has also been a bonding agent for them.
    At the All-Star break, the Sky were at a crossroads. Since early June, they'd had a stretch where they won four in a row, then lost five of six, then won five of six.

DeShields, Quigley and Vandersloot were All-Stars, but the entire Chicago team came to Las Vegas to support them. It showed the group's unity, and when asked about how the Sky would attack the second half of the season, Quigley said, "I think we all feel the same: We have a huge opportunity."

Since then, Chicago is 7-3 with no bad losses; those were to fellow playoff teams Connecticut, Los Angeles and Las Vegas. There's still a lot to navigate over these final two weeks, starting with a trip to Minnesota on Tuesday and finishing at Washington on Sept. 8. But the Sky have a chance to position themselves well. And this past weekend was a big key to that.
    Article Link: https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id...son-winds-down

ZagDad

Well it was a foregone conclusion, but Sloot has 8 assists about midway thru Q3, broke her own record for single season assists.

Taurasi had 10 tonight so the chase is back on to gain ground for #4 on the career list (#5 comes first but that's merely a formality).

Sloot ended w/ 10 assists. Not much scoring for her tonight. Sky had an opportunity to leapfrog both LA and Las Vegas, who both lost earlier. However they got outscored by 10 in the 4th quarter and lost by 8.

She will end her career being the John Stockton of the WNBA!

Thanks SeaCat.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    She will end her career being the John Stockton of the WNBA!
    If she plays long enough. From a post above.

Sue Bird +1370 (After 2020) To catch = 6.1 Years
    Ticha Penicheiro +924 To catch = 4.1 Years
    Lindsey Whalen +673 To catch = 3.0 Years
    Diana Taurasi + 300 (After 2020) To catch = 1.3 Years (If CV does not catch Taurasi next year she will the following year no matter if Taurasi plays or not)
    Becky Hammon +33 To catch = 0.15 Years

The WNBA finally got around to recognizing Sloot after she broke the record. No build up. No countdown. Way to build up interest in the game WNBA.

Only 16 times in WNBA history has somebody had 200 or more assists in a single year and Sloot now has the top 3 values. CV now has (4) years of more than 200 assists with an additional year of 198 assists. Ticha Penicheiro (Sloot's agent) has the most years of 200 or more assists in a year with (5). Teresa Weatherspoon also has (3) years with at least 200 assists. Sue Bird and Nikki Teasley both have (2) years of 200 or more assists.

Of all the active players listed in the top 25 in total assists per year with a minimum of at least 200 assists per year, only Sloot, Sue Bird, & Layshia Clarendon (1 year) are still active. Skylar Diggins-Smith is probably closest to CV in that she is a true point guard has had (2) years of assists over 195, but has not yet broken the magical 200 assists per year (yet).

To give you an idea on how Sloot is dominating the WNBA in total number of assists, CV currently has 263 assists this year, while 2nd place in total number of assists (Natasha Cloud & Odessey Sims) both have 167 assists. Cloud has played (1) more game and about 90 more minutes than Sloot while Sims has played (2) more games and 112 more minutes this year than Sloot.

If Sloot maintains her average of 9.1 apg, she will end up with 299/300 assists for this season (Oh for that game she missed due to illness). 300 assists in a year is attainable.

Link to some of this year's Sloot assists: https://www.wnba.com/video/courtney-...ot-assist-mix/

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 08-28-2019 at 11:52 PM.

Continuing her assault on the record book. 13 today, gives her 283 for the season. With 2 games left 300 is very much attainable. That's just a ridiculous number!

Sky blew out Phoenix today. Keeps them in the hunt for the 3 or 4 seed in the playoffs, and all but guarantees they'll finish at least 5th.

Continuing her assault on the record book. 13 today, gives her 283 for the season. With 2 games left 300 is very much attainable. That's just a ridiculous number!

Sky blew out Phoenix today. Keeps them in the hunt for the 3 or 4 seed in the playoffs, and all but guarantees they'll finish at least 5th.
    Another solid all-around game with 9 pts on 43% shooting (3-3 or 100% on free throws), 4 rebounds, 3 steals, 1 blocked shot and once again 0 turnovers.

Unfortunately for Chicago, they lost the first two (2) games of their last 5 against teams they should have beat. For the Sky to move up to the 3rd or 4th spot and for Sloot to get to 300 assists, the Sky (and Sloot) will need to win against the two (2) best teams in the league (Connecticut and Washington) with both games on the road.

It is possible but it certainly is an uphill climb.

ZagDad

With their victory last night, Los Angeles locked up the #3 seed. Las Vegas lost yesterday putting them only a half game in front of the Chicago Sky of the 4th playoff spot and the 1st round bye. Unfortunately, it looks like Las Vegas holds the tie breaker by winning the season series with Chicago 2-1. Thus, Chicago must win both of its final two (2) games and Las Vegas must lose its last game for the Sky to get the 4th spot in the standings and the last 1st round bye.

First up is tonight when the Sky play the #2 Connecticut Sun and Sloot continues her assault on 300 assists for the regular season.

ZagDad

Chicago beat Connecticut. 19 points 11 assists for Sloot....if ESPN stats are to be trusted. They had the box score all kinds of messed up for New York vs. Indiana. I thought Kia Nurse and Kelsey Mitchell had both scored over 40 points on nearly perfect shooting thru 3 quarters. Apparently that was not the case.