Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Battle For Atlantis 2019 Nov. 27-29

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,247

    Default Battle For Atlantis 2019 Nov. 27-29

    Jon Rothstein

    Verified account

    @JonRothstein
    Following Following @JonRothstein
    More
    Sources: Matchups for the 2019 Battle 4 Atlantis are set.

    Michigan/Iowa State
    North Carolina/Alabama
    Gonzaga/Southern Miss
    Seton Hall/Oregon

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,247

    Default

    Jim Meehan


    @SRJimm
    34s35 seconds ago
    More Jim Meehan Retweeted Jon Rothstein
    Southern Miss was 20-13 last year, 11-7 T-2nd in Conference USA. Lost to Longwood in first round of the CBI

    Lost their #1, #2, #5 and #7 scorers to graduation.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,247

    Default

    Jim Meehan


    @SRJimm
    40s40 seconds ago
    More
    Winner/loser of Gonzaga-Southern Miss meets winner/loser of Oregon-Seton Hall on second day of Battle 4 Atlantis. Other side of bracket has Michigan vs. Iowa State, Alabama vs. North Carolina.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,277

    Default

    Sets up pretty well for us to have a good shot at the final.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Is it bad that I'm greedy and would rather any other team instead of So. Miss for our first game? I realize that's a W 99/100 times, but I'd rather stack the SoS with as many tournament teams as possible.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,124

    Default

    Talk about a blind draw.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    14,295

    Default

    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Hill
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jon Rothstein

    Verified account

    @JonRothstein
    Following Following @JonRothstein
    More
    Sources: Matchups for the 2019 Battle 4 Atlantis are set.

    Michigan/Iowa State
    North Carolina/Alabama
    Gonzaga/Southern Miss
    Seton Hall/Oregon
    Ranks for each team on the "way too early Top 25" for those that are interested

    Michigan #1 /Iowa State NR
    North Carolina #8 /Alabama NR
    Gonzaga #7/Southern Miss NR
    Seton Hall #14 /Oregon NR
    Quit social media. You'll be better for it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,247

    Default

    Bad Boy Mowers Battle 4 Atlantis
    Dates: Nov. 27, 28 & 29, 2019
    Site: Imperial Arena / Paradise Island, Bahamas

    First-round matchups:

    Michigan vs. Iowa State
    North Carolina vs. Alabama
    Gonzaga vs. Southern Miss
    Seton Hall vs. Oregon

    Team to beat: This is tough but this tournament is early, so look for Mark Few's veterans like Killian Tillie and grad transfer Admon Gilder to be ready to go and win this tournament as Roy Williams is still figuring out his young crew.

    Sleeper team: I don't think people know how good Seton Hall might be this season with the return of Myles Powell, but the buzz might begin if the Pirates emerge as the victors in the Bahamas.

    Player to watch: Cole Anthony, the top incoming guard in the country, could be the Zion Williamson of the 2019-20 season.

    Something for the college hoops junkies: This stacked tournament is one of those events where you watch the first game, the last game and every game in between. -- Myron Medcalf

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Talk about a blind draw.....
    With this young team? I'll take the blind draw early in the year, as I'm pretty sure you'd agree.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    14,295

    Default

    Last years kenpom:

    Michigan:6 (new Coach)
    Iowa St.:15

    UNC:7
    Bama:64 (new Coach)

    Gonzaga:2
    So. Miss:120 (new Coach)

    S. Hall:60
    Ducks:28
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    With this young team? I'll take the blind draw early in the year, as I'm pretty sure you'd agree.
    My comment was on the tourney directors. What were they thinking?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    Ranks for each team on the "way too early Top 25" for those that are interested

    Michigan #1 /Iowa State NR
    North Carolina #8 /Alabama NR
    Gonzaga #7/Southern Miss NR
    Seton Hall #14 /Oregon NR
    Pretty sure you're confusing Michigan and Michigan St there, Michigan isnt #1 on any top 25.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    My comment was on the tourney directors. What were they thinking?
    I'm struggling to see the issue. Most preseason rankings will have UNC/Gonzaga as the top two teams in tourney and they are on seperate sides.

    Then you can expect Seton Hall/Michigan to follow, with both being opposite sides again.

    Oregon will probably be considered the next best and they are paired on the side with the worst team.

    A bracket of 1.GU 2.UNC 3.MICH 4.SH 5.ORE 6.IOWA ST. 7. ALA 8. SOMISS feels pretty close to me.

    I'd probably put UNC higher than GU but they lose a crap ton, too so GU being ahead is hardly crazy. Frankly almost every team in the country looks worse than last years' top-8, short of Michigan State.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Hill
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Pretty sure you're confusing Michigan and Michigan St there, Michigan isnt #1 on any top 25.
    You're right and it's a pretty big difference. I'll blame it on wishful thinking.

    Should of read:

    Michigan NR /Iowa State NR
    Quit social media. You'll be better for it.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jim Meehan


    @SRJimm
    40s40 seconds ago
    More
    Winner/loser of Gonzaga-Southern Miss meets winner/loser of Oregon-Seton Hall on second day of Battle 4 Atlantis. Other side of bracket has Michigan vs. Iowa State, Alabama vs. North Carolina.
    My personal preference would be Oregon in the 2nd round and Michigan in the championship. Not for resume just who I'd like to see.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, Wa.
    Posts
    737

    Default

    - yep, me too, pulling for Oregon and Michigan match ups.
    - would love to see a gu-Oregon match up on semi regular basis.
    - I pull for Michigan, as I just don't want to see unc twice on our schedule.

    - but if draw pans out, according to the way too early top 25 list.....we'd see the following ranked teams, unc (twice), seton hall, uw, st. mary (perhaps 3 times).
    - any other potential top 25 teams on our schedule this coming year?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - any other potential top 25 teams on our schedule this coming year?
    Arizona is a definite possibility. Beyond that, don't really see any other possibilities. (besides Oregon in lieu of Seton Hall or Michigan/Iowa St. in lieu of UNC)

    I guess BYU maybe possibly has an outside shot.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    Arizona is a definite possibility. Beyond that, don't really see any other possibilities. (besides Oregon in lieu of Seton Hall or Michigan/Iowa St. in lieu of UNC)

    I guess BYU maybe possibly has an outside shot.
    Mary’s?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Mary’s?
    Gonzagaw had 'em listed. I'm pretty sure we'll see St.Mary's in the top-25 at some points in the season. Hopefully the entirety.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    UW will be a top 25 team....BYU...no way Jose...
    I gave some qualifiers for a reason lol but it's not unfathomable.

    For once they didn't lose a guy to early (non-NBA) attrition with the return of Childs and they'll be experienced. Toolson could be a big impact transfer & I could see Emery shaking off that first comeback season and coming back strong. They've got a pretty deep team and the shakeup with the coaching could yield instant results.

    I'm not expecting it by any stretch but if they have a strong noncon with only 1 or 2 losses and then finally take care of business in the WCC by beating everyone not named GU/SMC, they have a chance to sneak in there. The AP poll isn't exactly a precise science and if you can rack up wins with few losses, you can get in there whether you are deserving of top-25 or not.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Anybody else notice that for the 3rd season in a row GU is participating in the toughest/most prestigious pre-season tourney?

    2019: Battle for Atlantis-stronger field that Maui this year though with a terrible sponsor name - Bad Boy Mowers? Ugh
    2018: Maui Invitational-one of the strongest preseason groups in recent memory. Champs and beat Dook along the way
    2017: PK80 cbssports.com called this THE greatest in-season MBB tournament ever That 2OT loss to FLA lead to 3rd place finish

    Nice work by the team to put Zags in spotlight and give them opportunities to shine. National exposure, RPI, recruiting all of it. Now go win it!!

    ZZ

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    139

    Default

    For those of you planning to go to the Battle for Atlantis, I wanted to pass on some advice. I went to the Atlantis less than three years ago during Thanksgiving break. The only way you can use the great pools and everything on the Atlantis grounds is if you book lodging with The Atlantis, you are visiting on a cruise line....OR, you stay at the Comfort Inn and Suites.

    I would HIGHLY recommend booking through Costco Travel for the Comfort Inn and Suites. Saves a good amount of money, you are right next to the resort, you get the same access, and free breakfasts each morning.

    I just checked this morning and it was $5,500 for November 23rd to December 2nd for my family of four (2 adults, 1 kid, and infant in lap on plane) for airfare and lodging from LAX. This isn't too bad. The lowest you would see it for would probably be around 5K based on my checking, but it has been as high as $7,500 for that same trip a month ago.

    The Atlantis is awesome. It's huge. I highly recommend it. My family definitely plans to go back once both of our girls can swim well. I didn't catch any basketball games when I was there last time, but you would likely have ability to buy any ticket packages onsite or separate in advance...as compared to the premium you pay for the ticket packages with lodging at The Atlantis.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Diego, Ca.
    Posts
    7,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoZag View Post
    For those of you planning to go to the Battle for Atlantis, I wanted to pass on some advice. I went to the Atlantis less than three years ago during Thanksgiving break. The only way you can use the great pools and everything on the Atlantis grounds is if you book lodging with The Atlantis, you are visiting on a cruise line....OR, you stay at the Comfort Inn and Suites.

    I would HIGHLY recommend booking through Costco Travel for the Comfort Inn and Suites. Saves a good amount of money, you are right next to the resort, you get the same access, and free breakfasts each morning.

    I just checked this morning and it was $5,500 for November 23rd to December 2nd for my family of four (2 adults, 1 kid, and infant in lap on plane) for airfare and lodging from LAX. This isn't too bad. The lowest you would see it for would probably be around 5K based on my checking, but it has been as high as $7,500 for that same trip a month ago.

    The Atlantis is awesome. It's huge. I highly recommend it. My family definitely plans to go back once both of our girls can swim well. I didn't catch any basketball games when I was there last time, but you would likely have ability to buy any ticket packages onsite or separate in advance...as compared to the premium you pay for the ticket packages with lodging at The Atlantis.
    Do they have a minibar?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Sorry no Oregon- Gonzaga game- I would like to enjoy the Thanksgiving weekend- and having that matchup would be painful as I would have to put up with my Duck children( and one is a double Duck) but the Double Duck wife would root for GU ( which upsets the boys as they look at her like a traitor and she says look I am married to your father) as after all is was her Zag husband who took her to Maui not her children. But I do think we would win.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •