Thread: Zags under age 18

Default Zags under age 18

Hello - Have been enjoying the updates on the U19 tournament. I wasn't aware that the NCAA/Gonzaga could accept athletes under age 18. It seems to be a situation that only applies to international recruits. Not criticizing anyone or anything, but just curious as to how this works out regarding academic qualification, etc. Very much looking forward to next year! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nwray1 View Post
    Hello - Have been enjoying the updates on the U19 tournament. I wasn't aware that the NCAA/Gonzaga could accept athletes under age 18. It seems to be a situation that only applies to international recruits.
    Players can play as long as they’ve completed high school requirements. I think Brad Daugherty (North Carolina/Cleveland Cavs) entered college at 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This seems like a good way to do it for those one and done players. Graduate early, head to a college program when you'd otherwise be a senior in high school, take 6 summer credits, train, complete your first year, take a few more summer credits the next summer, finish your sophomore year with half a degree under your belt (and reap the benefits of spending an extra formative year in college), and then they're off to the races in the NBA.

I was sixteen when I went to college back in the seventies. Wrestled and played baseball at an NAIA school. Wasn’t physically ready to compete but I had fun. Wish I’d been older.

I was 17...a immature 17 ….wish I had been older....I understand that some parents hold a kid back a year with the intent of giving him/her a advantage.....very impressive to me to see these youngsters in a foreign country and so far from home....they travel the world like I travel the State...

Thanks for the responses. It makes sense that age is not the deciding factor. International players have always represented Gonzaga so well, and I have no doubt that will continue.