Thread: Welcome Back Gary Bell, Jr.

Default Welcome Back Gary Bell, Jr.

Gary will be the Zags new grad assistant for this upcoming season.

Outstanding! Welcome back!

A big welcome back to one of my favorite Zags!
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

This is fantastic news! Welcome back Gary!

I think it was mentioned on this board years ago that Gary had the interest in getting into coaching after his playing days were over. This is a great start for Gary and a great addition to the staff!

That is good news!

Welcome back Gary!

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwester View Post
    Very cool! He was the best Zag player at fighting around screens and getting into the jersey of the other player on defense. He was a great technician offensively and defensively, and sacrificed a lot for the team, in my opinion. I hope we get a Mark Few show Heister interview out of him down the road. I'd love to hear what he has been up to and what he has to say about the Zag experience.

This is outstanding. I do like that Few seems to bring back former players who are interested in coaching and adds them to the staff like this. It reinforces the "we are all a family" theme, and it develops a future potential "pipeline" of Few disciples to participate in college backetball as coaches or on the staff in other ways than just as players on the floor. It also sends a nice, perhaps more subtle, message that Gonzaga will attempt to take care of its kids even long after they play their last game.

Super cool, I just wonder why he didn't continue with his professional career for longer. The guy is still so young.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Love this!

OUTSTANDING Welcome home Gary Bell. An all-time favorite Zag, that's for sure.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I already feel bad for the first times those frosh don't get back on defense. Won't be pretty, as coach gets video of Bell "getting back."

One of my all time favorites.

AND someone I have noted many times to be an obvious "future coach" somewhere.

He was also one of Few's favorites, and so this makes perfect sense; "Never had a bad practice."
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Great! Love GBJ’s play. It’s gravy having past Zags around the program. This news just upped my confidence level for next season. Good leadership, and in numbers, goes a long way. Welcome back Bell!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Norwester View Post
    Dude! This is phenomenal news! Welcome back, GBJ!
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Great addition to the team and a timely one too; GBJ can help teach the newbies about what it means to be a Zag...on and off the court.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    Super cool, I just wonder why he didn't continue with his professional career for longer. The guy is still so young.
    Gary was making good money and was well respected in Europe. No doubt he has learned a considerable amount about what it takes to be successful. My guess is that he wants to be with his wife and children and get a good start on a successful coaching career. With all of his experiences abroad he will be able to further facilitate recruiting and coaching international recruits. I’m glad that Gonzaga is in a good position to launch Gary’s future.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Great addition to the team and a timely one too; GBJ can help teach the newbies about what it means to be a Zag...on and off the court.
    Also timely: Acquiring extra coaching assistance with our new back court
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Lots of new faces -- it will be great to have an veteran presence there to help with the guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Lots of new faces -- it will be great to have an veteran presence there to help with the guys.
    Here's Vince Grippi's take on the issue:

"[Bell] can counsel the newcomers in what they should expect playing for Few and how to get over the bumps of dealing with a coach who is more demanding of excellence out of his guards than most in the college ranks. And he can help the younger ones develop consistency, a valued commodity that was the hallmark of his Gonzaga career."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...s-fortuitous-/
    SLOZag

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Nice, Flex. Yes, especially with this year's team being SO young and not that many vets around showing people the Zag way. GBJ is still young enough to relate, mature enough to bash some heads, and also be a shoulder to lean on. The timing is just perfect Few.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

“When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Thanks Rad.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Awesome, thanks for that share. Glad to have him back again, definitely a fave.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I already feel bad for the first times those frosh don't get back on defense. Won't be pretty, as coach gets video of Bell "getting back."
    I thought the same thing!
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

- man time sure does fly. I recall going to a craziness in the kennel, when he was a recruit, sitting behind the team bench.

- at this years craziness in the kennel, as they were introducing the coaching staff, they call out gary's name, but from my perspective at floor level I did not see him.

- great news.