Thread: WBB Preps for Foreign Tour in August

Default WBB Preps for Foreign Tour in August

Here are the details of the Lady Zags European trip that they are taken in August from GoZags.

WBB Preps for Foreign Tour in August
    Zags will travel to Spain, Italy for international playing experience
    Women's Basketball 7/1/2019 11:58:00 AM

SPOKANE, Wash. – The Gonzaga women's basketball team will spend nearly two weeks abroad this August as part of the first foreign tour in program history. The Bulldogs will depart on Saturday, August 10 and will return stateside on Thursday, August 22 with stops in Spain and Italy along the way.

The Zags will enjoy multi-day stays in Barcelona, Spain, as well as Rome, Florence and Venice, Italy along with exploration days in Vatican City and Lucca. The NCAA permits institutions to participate in a foreign tour once every four years.

"We are really looking forward to providing such a great life and team experience to this group of young women," head women's basketball coach Lisa Fortier said. "We care deeply about them as players but also as people, and we cannot wait to spend this time together."

The Bulldogs will also compete in three games against international competition during the course of the trip in Barcelona, Rome and Florence.

"We are extremely blessed to have this opportunity to travel overseas to play basketball and learn about the history and culture of the area," senior guard Katie Campbell said. "I'm excited to share in this experience with my teammates; it will be a great opportunity for us to bond before we begin all of our preseason workouts."

The trip will also feature various sightseeing opportunities and city tours including landmark visits to La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, the Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and Colosseum in Rome and St. Peter's Basilica and the Sistine Chapel in Vatican City for an in-depth learning experience of multiple European cultures.

"We are really looking forward to taking our team overseas," Fortier said. "There are so many benefits to it. Team practices are going to come at a great time as we will have so many players in new roles next season."

Fans, family and supporters can follow the Bulldogs throughout the 2019 Foreign Tour on the women's basketball social media pages on Facebook at ZagWBB, on Twitter at @ZagWBB and on Instagram at zagwbb.
    Article Link: https://gozags.com/news/2019/7/1/wom...in-august.aspx

Two of my favorite European countries (Italy and Spain) and three of my favorite European cities (Rome, Florence & Barcelona). I wish I was going along for the ride.

Interesting fact for anybody who has been to Barcelona - Despite being located on the Mediterranean Sea, Barcelona had no City beaches at all until they hosted the Olympics, when the city beaches were developed.

The ladies will have a fantastic trip and play a little basketball against some European teams who likely will not play like most of their American counterparts.

ZagDad

Wonderful opportunity, but only 3 games?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Wonderful opportunity, but only 3 games?
    If this was similar to a tournament where all the games were played in one or two cities, I could see playing more games.

During the regular season we would only play 3 games in 12 days even when we play one or two games at home. When you lose two (2) days with 8-10 hours travel on each of these days you really only have 10 days available to play. I am sure the team will fly from Spain to Italy which is a relatively short flight but with an international flight, the time in the Airport will be much greater than the actual flight. Total time will take half or more of a day. The distance from Rome to Florence is 3-4 hours by bus, probably a little less by Train. The team will likely take the train or fly from Western Italy (Rome/Florence) to Eastern Italy (Venice). In any case, there are three more travel days and I don't see the team playing on a travel day. This leaves only 7 non-travel days in within which they are playing 3 games.

In addition, the climatic conditions may be entirely different than they experience here in the States. Many public areas in Spain (including the airport) are only air conditioned to 78-82 Deg. F. which will be very draining for the Lady Zags to play. Italy is a little better but when Notre Dame played in Italy a couple of years ago, they had some gyms which were not air conditioned down to the temperatures we have in a normal gym here in the States.

If I remember correctly Notre Dame also only played 3 games in their trip to Croatia and Italy. Last month when the Canada team (that Zee was on) played in China in three different cities also only played three (3) games.

I think the trip is being planned as much a team building, life experience as a basketball experience. The team and staff will have an experience that they will remember for a lifetime and still keep building on team chemistry.

ZagDad

Clears that up a bit for me, ZD. Thanks.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.