• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Murphy outgo lifer
    Kennel Club
    • Aug 2015

Is the roster set for 2019-20?

Question for the insiders but also wondering how people view the roster as it is currently constructed. Makes me a little nervous having two guards coming off major injuries and only having a true freshman as a back-up. I like Woolridge but was thinking he would make a great 6th man off the bench like Geno and was hoping we might be on another guard for next season. I would love to hear how people see next years team and if they think we might be adding more.
  • TheOtherGreatOne
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    Question for the insiders but also wondering how people view the roster as it is currently constructed. Makes me a little nervous having two guards coming off major injuries and only having a true freshman as a back-up. I like Woolridge but was thinking he would make a great 6th man off the bench like Geno and was hoping we might be on another guard for next season. I would love to hear how people see next years team and if they think we might be adding more.
    What is wrong with Kispert at guard, then Woolridge comes off the bench. Ayeye may have improved enough to get some playing time. I am hoping Ballo turns out to be a rebounding machine, and is the biggest surprise in the entire nation. I would also like to see Tillie at small forward. What a matchup problem that would be for anyone we play. We will once again win the WCC, and enter the NCAA tournament again, and reach the sweet 16 again, and hopefully keep on going after that, and set us up to be the best team in the country the next year, hopefully adding Suggs, and the big guy from Georgia. What a great time to be a Zag fan.

Comment

• hooter73
      Zag for Life
      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
      What is wrong with Kispert at guard, then Woolridge comes off the bench. Ayeye may have improved enough to get some playing time. I am hoping Ballo turns out to be a rebounding machine, and is the biggest surprise in the entire nation. I would also like to see Tillie at small forward. What a matchup problem that would be for anyone we play. We will once again win the WCC, and enter the NCAA tournament again, and reach the sweet 16 again, and hopefully keep on going after that, and set us up to be the best team in the country the next year, hopefully adding Suggs, and the big guy from Georgia. What a great time to be a Zag fan.
      Kispert gets used and abused on the defensive end already, make him try to chase a smaller 2 guard and he'll end up fouling out in 10 minutes. Joel so far has not shown that he can play at a High D1 level no matter what his stats are in the Euro games. So yes, all our hopes lay on two injured transfers and a high scoring, high IQ, low defensively capable completely untested freshman point guard.

It should still be a really fun year to watch how this all plays out.

Comment

• EEzag
        Kennel Club Alum
        • Aug 2007

It should still be a really fun year to watch how this all plays out.[/QUOTE]

This!

Also, our upperclassmen don't particularly create for themselves. This year is all about getting DT, Ballo, and Watty up to speed for next year. Biggest surprise of the year, at least for those who didn't pay attention to the Duke game, will be Petro.

Who on the team redshirts this season? 2 guys maybe?

Comment

• ZagzKrak
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Apr 2016

I think the only possible redshirt is M.A. if the coaches are fine with only CK and AW at the 3. My feeling is none of the incoming bigs redshirt...none will be for 4 years let alone 5.

Comment

• EEzag
            Kennel Club Alum
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by ZagzKrak View Post
            I think the only possible redshirt is M.A. if the coaches are fine with only CK and AW at the 3. My feeling is none of the incoming bigs redshirt...none will be for 4 years let alone 5.
            Other than Anton, who else can play the 3 of the bigs mentioned? Timme, Ballo, Zakharov, Tillie, Petrusev, and Watson....other than maybe Watty, the rest are 4/5's. Even if Ballo sits like Rui his frosh year, that's 6 guys playing 2 spots. Lot's of mouths to feed.

Comment

• bigblahla
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by EEzag View Post
              Other than Anton, who else can play the 3 of the bigs mentioned? Timme, Ballo, Zakharov, Tillie, Petrusev, and Watson....other than maybe Watty, the rest are 4/5's. Even if Ballo sits like Rui his frosh year, that's 6 guys playing 2 spots. Lot's of mouths to feed.
              I'm not saying it would happen but I would not hesitate to play Timme at the 3, good ball handler for a big guy, good passer and can finish with either hand around the hoop... he would also be a match-up nightmare at the 3.... but he is going down low to bang, 17 foot and in... can't wait to see the offense once they know their roles... once again, so many weapons on offense, so many options.... gonna be a fun ride...

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!
              "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• ZagzKrak
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Apr 2016

Originally posted by EEzag View Post
                That's why I said I would only redshirt MA if I was cool with only having 2 guys able to play the 3 spot...If it was up to me I would choose not to redshirt anyone.

Comment

• Bogozags
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2008

Just a thought of course but whomever plays the SF will more than likely have to guard the opposing SF...I've not seen that quickness in Timme, Ballo, Zakharov, Tillie or Filip...CK has done a pretty good job of adjusting on the defencive end and don't know if Watson can defend that position either...time will tell...we will know soon enough...

Comment

• TheOtherGreatOne
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
                    Kispert gets used and abused on the defensive end already, make him try to chase a smaller 2 guard and he'll end up fouling out in 10 minutes. Joel so far has not shown that he can play at a High D1 level no matter what his stats are in the Euro games. So yes, all our hopes lay on two injured transfers and a high scoring, high IQ, low defensively capable completely untested freshman point guard.

It should still be a really fun year to watch how this all plays out.
                    Weren't we 33-4 ? Didn't we beat mighty duke, whom espn kept saying was the best team in the history of college basketball, Kispert must not have gotten abused to often.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
                      Weren't we 33-4 ? Didn't we beat mighty duke, whom espn kept saying was the best team in the history of college basketball, Kispert must not have gotten abused to often.
                      Kispert wasn't playing the 1 or 2 guard position in those games, either. He does great at the 3.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
                      'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                      - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• VinnyZag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

At times in the past, there has been talk about the value of leaving one scholarship open so that it's available if any midseason sit-out transfers become available. I've been wondering if that's what's happening this year. Leave that one scholly unfilled in case someone really good becomes available in December or January.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by VinnyZag View Post
                          At times in the past, there has been talk about the value of leaving one scholarship open so that it's available if any midseason sit-out transfers become available. I've been wondering if that's what's happening this year. Leave that one scholly unfilled in case someone really good becomes available in December or January.
                          ...or someone really good becomes available by mid July after the other shoe drops on NCAA penalizing teams & coaches implicated in FBI probe? There was mention somewhere on here of an NCAA VP stating penalties forthcoming in July, or something to that effect.
                          Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• SanDiegoZag
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
                            ...or someone really good becomes available by mid July after the other shoe drops on NCAA penalizing teams & coaches implicated in FBI probe? There was mention somewhere on here of an NCAA VP stating penalties forthcoming in July, or something to that effect.
                            It's now July. Get your popcorn ready. There is going to be fallout. It will be interesting to see if the NCAA allows all student athletes out of their obligation to stay with that school following probation announcements and give immediate eligibility elsewhere, or just incoming recruits. The reality is that incoming recruits were well aware of investigations surrounding these schools when they committed recently, so who knows.

Arizona has a couple of good PG's coming in, one VERY good in Nico Mannion. They also have UC Irvine grad transfer Max Hazzard. Mannion would have a ton of options I'm sure, and GU may be well down his list. However, there may not be many top 40 programs that could guarantee him the starting PG job on short notice, AND have PG be the missing piece for a team's FF hopes, AND have that extra schollie available that GU has ready to go. Hazzard would be a good add too.

Louisville grad transfer Lamarr Kimble could be an option, formerly of St. Joseph's. USC has dudes.

Roger Powell just came from the SEC. If Auburn and/or LSU find trouble, they have intriguing options too.

Few will use that final scholarship on a new add. It may be someone who has to sit out this year, depending on what the NCAA allows in regards to transfers out of schools facing probation, but he will use it. Hopefully, it's an immediately available guard, even if it is just to extend the rotation in the backcourt. If it's a sit out transfer though, it could probably be for any position, and the Zags could aim for best available with interest.

That was great that the Zags put their name in the hat for Kerry Blackshear. Despite the abundance of bigs at GU, Few didn't back down from an opportunity to greatly improve the team.

Looking forward to the first round of probation announcements, and the NCAA to finally show some chops.

Comment

• TheOtherGreatOne
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

I don't see all those schools getting burned. They will put several small schools of probation for things that don't mean a thing. Then Emmert can say look how well we enforce the rules. The big boys will skate. I will believe these big name schools get burned when it actually happens and not one second before. You don't think the NCAA is going to loose all that money by putting a lot of these big name schools on probation and banning them from the tournament do you ? Making money is what the NCAA is after, not a fair enforcement of the rules. It didn't take them no time to burn Pacific and BYU did it, and they did far less than these big time programs.

Comment

Working...
                              X