Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the roster set for 2019-20?

Default Is the roster set for 2019-20?

Question for the insiders but also wondering how people view the roster as it is currently constructed. Makes me a little nervous having two guards coming off major injuries and only having a true freshman as a back-up. I like Woolridge but was thinking he would make a great 6th man off the bench like Geno and was hoping we might be on another guard for next season. I would love to hear how people see next years team and if they think we might be adding more.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    Question for the insiders but also wondering how people view the roster as it is currently constructed. Makes me a little nervous having two guards coming off major injuries and only having a true freshman as a back-up. I like Woolridge but was thinking he would make a great 6th man off the bench like Geno and was hoping we might be on another guard for next season. I would love to hear how people see next years team and if they think we might be adding more.
    What is wrong with Kispert at guard, then Woolridge comes off the bench. Ayeye may have improved enough to get some playing time. I am hoping Ballo turns out to be a rebounding machine, and is the biggest surprise in the entire nation. I would also like to see Tillie at small forward. What a matchup problem that would be for anyone we play. We will once again win the WCC, and enter the NCAA tournament again, and reach the sweet 16 again, and hopefully keep on going after that, and set us up to be the best team in the country the next year, hopefully adding Suggs, and the big guy from Georgia. What a great time to be a Zag fan.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    What is wrong with Kispert at guard, then Woolridge comes off the bench. Ayeye may have improved enough to get some playing time. I am hoping Ballo turns out to be a rebounding machine, and is the biggest surprise in the entire nation. I would also like to see Tillie at small forward. What a matchup problem that would be for anyone we play. We will once again win the WCC, and enter the NCAA tournament again, and reach the sweet 16 again, and hopefully keep on going after that, and set us up to be the best team in the country the next year, hopefully adding Suggs, and the big guy from Georgia. What a great time to be a Zag fan.
    Kispert gets used and abused on the defensive end already, make him try to chase a smaller 2 guard and he'll end up fouling out in 10 minutes. Joel so far has not shown that he can play at a High D1 level no matter what his stats are in the Euro games. So yes, all our hopes lay on two injured transfers and a high scoring, high IQ, low defensively capable completely untested freshman point guard.

It should still be a really fun year to watch how this all plays out.

It should still be a really fun year to watch how this all plays out.[/QUOTE]

This!

Also, our upperclassmen don't particularly create for themselves. This year is all about getting DT, Ballo, and Watty up to speed for next year. Biggest surprise of the year, at least for those who didn't pay attention to the Duke game, will be Petro.

Who on the team redshirts this season? 2 guys maybe?

I think the only possible redshirt is M.A. if the coaches are fine with only CK and AW at the 3. My feeling is none of the incoming bigs redshirt...none will be for 4 years let alone 5.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagzKrak View Post
    I think the only possible redshirt is M.A. if the coaches are fine with only CK and AW at the 3. My feeling is none of the incoming bigs redshirt...none will be for 4 years let alone 5.
    Other than Anton, who else can play the 3 of the bigs mentioned? Timme, Ballo, Zakharov, Tillie, Petrusev, and Watson....other than maybe Watty, the rest are 4/5's. Even if Ballo sits like Rui his frosh year, that's 6 guys playing 2 spots. Lot's of mouths to feed.

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    Other than Anton, who else can play the 3 of the bigs mentioned? Timme, Ballo, Zakharov, Tillie, Petrusev, and Watson....other than maybe Watty, the rest are 4/5's. Even if Ballo sits like Rui his frosh year, that's 6 guys playing 2 spots. Lot's of mouths to feed.
    I'm not saying it would happen but I would not hesitate to play Timme at the 3, good ball handler for a big guy, good passer and can finish with either hand around the hoop... he would also be a match-up nightmare at the 3.... but he is going down low to bang, 17 foot and in... can't wait to see the offense once they know their roles... once again, so many weapons on offense, so many options.... gonna be a fun ride...

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

That's why I said I would only redshirt MA if I was cool with only having 2 guys able to play the 3 spot...If it was up to me I would choose not to redshirt anyone.

Just a thought of course but whomever plays the SF will more than likely have to guard the opposing SF...I've not seen that quickness in Timme, Ballo, Zakharov, Tillie or Filip...CK has done a pretty good job of adjusting on the defencive end and don't know if Watson can defend that position either...time will tell...we will know soon enough...

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Kispert gets used and abused on the defensive end already, make him try to chase a smaller 2 guard and he'll end up fouling out in 10 minutes. Joel so far has not shown that he can play at a High D1 level no matter what his stats are in the Euro games. So yes, all our hopes lay on two injured transfers and a high scoring, high IQ, low defensively capable completely untested freshman point guard.

It should still be a really fun year to watch how this all plays out.
    Weren't we 33-4 ? Didn't we beat mighty duke, whom espn kept saying was the best team in the history of college basketball, Kispert must not have gotten abused to often.

Weren't we 33-4 ? Didn't we beat mighty duke, whom espn kept saying was the best team in the history of college basketball, Kispert must not have gotten abused to often.
    Kispert wasn't playing the 1 or 2 guard position in those games, either. He does great at the 3.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

At times in the past, there has been talk about the value of leaving one scholarship open so that it's available if any midseason sit-out transfers become available. I've been wondering if that's what's happening this year. Leave that one scholly unfilled in case someone really good becomes available in December or January.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    At times in the past, there has been talk about the value of leaving one scholarship open so that it's available if any midseason sit-out transfers become available. I've been wondering if that's what's happening this year. Leave that one scholly unfilled in case someone really good becomes available in December or January.
    ...or someone really good becomes available by mid July after the other shoe drops on NCAA penalizing teams & coaches implicated in FBI probe? There was mention somewhere on here of an NCAA VP stating penalties forthcoming in July, or something to that effect.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    ...or someone really good becomes available by mid July after the other shoe drops on NCAA penalizing teams & coaches implicated in FBI probe? There was mention somewhere on here of an NCAA VP stating penalties forthcoming in July, or something to that effect.
    It's now July. Get your popcorn ready. There is going to be fallout. It will be interesting to see if the NCAA allows all student athletes out of their obligation to stay with that school following probation announcements and give immediate eligibility elsewhere, or just incoming recruits. The reality is that incoming recruits were well aware of investigations surrounding these schools when they committed recently, so who knows.

Arizona has a couple of good PG's coming in, one VERY good in Nico Mannion. They also have UC Irvine grad transfer Max Hazzard. Mannion would have a ton of options I'm sure, and GU may be well down his list. However, there may not be many top 40 programs that could guarantee him the starting PG job on short notice, AND have PG be the missing piece for a team's FF hopes, AND have that extra schollie available that GU has ready to go. Hazzard would be a good add too.

Louisville grad transfer Lamarr Kimble could be an option, formerly of St. Joseph's. USC has dudes.

Roger Powell just came from the SEC. If Auburn and/or LSU find trouble, they have intriguing options too.

Few will use that final scholarship on a new add. It may be someone who has to sit out this year, depending on what the NCAA allows in regards to transfers out of schools facing probation, but he will use it. Hopefully, it's an immediately available guard, even if it is just to extend the rotation in the backcourt. If it's a sit out transfer though, it could probably be for any position, and the Zags could aim for best available with interest.

That was great that the Zags put their name in the hat for Kerry Blackshear. Despite the abundance of bigs at GU, Few didn't back down from an opportunity to greatly improve the team.

Looking forward to the first round of probation announcements, and the NCAA to finally show some chops.

I don't see all those schools getting burned. They will put several small schools of probation for things that don't mean a thing. Then Emmert can say look how well we enforce the rules. The big boys will skate. I will believe these big name schools get burned when it actually happens and not one second before. You don't think the NCAA is going to loose all that money by putting a lot of these big name schools on probation and banning them from the tournament do you ? Making money is what the NCAA is after, not a fair enforcement of the rules. It didn't take them no time to burn Pacific and BYU did it, and they did far less than these big time programs.

I don't see all those schools getting burned. They will put several small schools of probation for things that don't mean a thing. Then Emmert can say look how well we enforce the rules. The big boys will skate. I will believe these big name schools get burned when it actually happens and not one second before. You don't think the NCAA is going to loose all that money by putting a lot of these big name schools on probation and banning them from the tournament do you ? Making money is what the NCAA is after, not a fair enforcement of the rules. It didn't take them no time to burn Pacific and BYU did it, and they did far less than these big time programs.
    Well, the difference is, the FBI was heavily involved in the findings surrounding these cases. It would be a VERY bad look for the NCAA, if the FBI comes in, finds all these illegal payments, and the NCAA just completely turns a blind eye, without as much as a slap on the wrist.

The NCAA Tournament is completely unfazed by 6 to 8 schools getting slapped with a couple years of probation. The tournament will still go on, and there will be plenty of money being made and changing hands. In reality, it just allows other schools to seize an opportunity and enhance their profile in the pecking order of college hoops...and preserves additional successes for other school's fans to point to and buy into hoops. Kansas will be back, even if they get hit with a 2 year probation, and like I said, it may allow KState and Wichita State to further stamp themselves as powers.

It may not be ideal for the NCAA, but it's a MUCH worse look if they do nothing about it. That is the surest way for ALL college basketball fans to lose hope in their model, not just the frustrated fanbases of the schools hit with probation. The NCAA certainly doesn't want to see more folks clamoring for a pay to play model because they have completely lost hope in the current integrity of the system.

The NCAA knows inside they have to try and nip this in the butt at some point, and there will probably never be a better opportunity. Not that it will stop illegal payments from being made in the future, but it will at least force runners and agents to be even more creative and sneaky in their way of facilitating payments...and at least try give the appearance that the NCAA believes in ethics, and that is what they are pushing.

It's coming.

Martynas Arlauskas seems like the most likely candidate for the 3rd small forward spot (Kispert and Watson being #1 and 2, respectively)

I agree with Bogozags that the remaining players will likely have a terrible time guarding the 3 spot. Petrusev barely wanted to leave the paint when he played the 4. Timme might be a guy like Rob who can switch a screen and hold his own, but it seems dangerous to match him on a 3 and ask him to chase him around screens, guard slashers, and keep up with smaller guys off the dribble on a regular basis. I haven't seen Ballo or Zakharov play really, but both seem like centers and maybe power forwards, from what I have read.

I think you'd have better success dropping Gilder down to the 3 and putting Ravet in at PG or SG than experimenting with bigs at the SF spot.

I am not a lawyer or involved in the law in any way.....but I am of the opinion that short of a charge, the FBI or the Prosecutors do not release any further information than was presented during a trial …..

In short, the FBI doesn't conduct investigations for the NCAA and I don't believe they can turn any additional information to them that wasn't used during the trials...

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoZag View Post
    Well, the difference is, the FBI was heavily involved in the findings surrounding these cases. It would be a VERY bad look for the NCAA, if the FBI comes in, finds all these illegal payments, and the NCAA just completely turns a blind eye, without as much as a slap on the wrist.

The NCAA Tournament is completely unfazed by 6 to 8 schools getting slapped with a couple years of probation. The tournament will still go on, and there will be plenty of money being made and changing hands. In reality, it just allows other schools to seize an opportunity and enhance their profile in the pecking order of college hoops...and preserves additional successes for other school's fans to point to and buy into hoops. Kansas will be back, even if they get hit with a 2 year probation, and like I said, it may allow KState and Wichita State to further stamp themselves as powers.

It may not be ideal for the NCAA, but it's a MUCH worse look if they do nothing about it. That is the surest way for ALL college basketball fans to lose hope in their model, not just the frustrated fanbases of the schools hit with probation. The NCAA certainly doesn't want to see more folks clamoring for a pay to play model because they have completely lost hope in the current integrity of the system.

The NCAA knows inside they have to try and nip this in the butt at some point, and there will probably never be a better opportunity. Not that it will stop illegal payments from being made in the future, but it will at least force runners and agents to be even more creative and sneaky in their way of facilitating payments...and at least try give the appearance that the NCAA believes in ethics, and that is what they are pushing.

It's coming.
    The head honchos at the NCAA don't care how it looks. They make a billion dollars a year, that is the only thing they care about. I bet they would jump on it if San Jose State took to many visits to a player, or if Arkansas-Little Rock made to many phone calls to a player. They just pick and choose who they punish, and it does not include the big boys. Did they not show you what they were made of when North Carolina ran the biggest academic scandel in the history of college sports? It's just politics as usual they will continue to pick and choose who they punish just as long as the same people are running the show, and that does not include the big boys.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I am not a lawyer or involved in the law in any way.....but I am of the opinion that short of a charge, the FBI or the Prosecutors do not release any further information than was presented during a trial …..

In short, the FBI doesn't conduct investigations for the NCAA and I don't believe they can turn any additional information to them that wasn't used during the trials...
    Once a case is closed they are legally obligated to release all information under the freedom of information act

Unless the evidence is being used for other criminal investigations

If ncaa doesn’t file focus shame on them but bet media does
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Once a case is closed they are legally obligated to release all information under the freedom of information act

Unless the evidence is being used for other criminal investigations

If ncaa doesn’t file focus shame on them but bet media does
    That is what I am trying to say....all the information that was presented during the trial...hopefully we don't convict people or find them guilty in the media...at least I don't...

Now back to regular programing....I don't expect a flood of players being released in the near future...

It can easily be like the final 4 team from 2 years ago.

2 starting bigs (Karnow/Jw3 -> Tillie/PP)

2 active bench bigs
    (Collins/Tillie -> Timme/Watson or Timme/Zakharov)

Garbage time foreign frosh, lunchpail new zag ( Rui/JeremyJones -> Ballo/Zakharov)

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Martynas Arlauskas seems like the most likely candidate for the 3rd small forward spot (Kispert and Watson being #1 and 2, respectively)

I agree with Bogozags that the remaining players will likely have a terrible time guarding the 3 spot. Petrusev barely wanted to leave the paint when he played the 4. Timme might be a guy like Rob who can switch a screen and hold his own, but it seems dangerous to match him on a 3 and ask him to chase him around screens, guard slashers, and keep up with smaller guys off the dribble on a regular basis. I haven't seen Ballo or Zakharov play really, but both seem like centers and maybe power forwards, from what I have read.

I think you'd have better success dropping Gilder down to the 3 and putting Ravet in at PG or SG than experimenting with bigs at the SF spot.
    I agree with this - Few's style is also to have the "3" be a smaller ball handler when possible.

Jordan Matthews - Silas Melson - CK - etc

I think even Watson might be out of place there, but perhaps he really is more of a 6'5" type player in a 6'9" body.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    I would guess the roster is set for 2019. The only way I see GU adding another player is if Gonzaga could land one more grad transfer. With 1 only scholarship left for next season that would still leave GU with 2 scholarships for 2020. Suggs and Kessler.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Just a thought of course but whomever plays the SF will more than likely have to guard the opposing SF...I've not seen that quickness in Timme, Ballo, Zakharov, Tillie or Filip...CK has done a pretty good job of adjusting on the defencive end and don't know if Watson can defend that position either...time will tell...we will know soon enough...
    Jeremy Jones was a real luxury last year, for just that reason! Both JJ and BC really understood angles and could guard most 3's and even 2's that didnt have elite speed. There will be a lot of pressure on SF defensivly this year. CK is ok and definitely getting better on the defensive end but without weakside help from a freak athlete like BC I think small forward is going to be a soft spot this year defensively. The coaching staff obviously much smarter than I am at figuring this out but looks scary if team can run a offense with only one big and mostly guards. I guess that's why I'm a fan not a coach!