Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Follow Zags in FIBA

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    be careful, your spy is showing.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by gundysmullet View Post
    It is me, I told them it was me when I applied and have pm’d several people letting them know that it’s me, I’m not hiding anything. If they want to ban me again that is their right. I respect their decision either way.
    all good.

it was pretty clear you were making minimal effort to hide it.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    As I posted a few months ago, Ayayi has one of the best floaters we've seen at GU. Compared to NWG with touch on his floaters in the lane.

Its shown in this FIBA Tourney as well.

Great sign.

Several comments r.e. Ballo on SMC board (as he was playing their Aussies):

"best player on the floor" "terrific"
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    Last years' Gonzaga would literally bulldoze their way through this tournament,

This one takes the now-common conflation of the meanings of literally and figuratively to new heights. It would be fun, though, to see five guys in Zag unis driving bulldozers out of the tunnel and onto the court.

Seriously though, spot on post.

Ballo is still 16 years old doing this against players two years older than him

Quote Originally Posted by gundysmullet View Post
    That doesn’t make sense because if those players were so good they would be playing in this tournament. Let me clarify, I explicitly said of the top players from each team, obviously the majority of players on the worst teams will not be good, but the top players on each team are all very good.
    Lots of kids - especially North American - opt out of these tourneys. Canada is missing at least half dozen of their top players due to focusing on AAU, college. Likewise with the U.S. While super talented, the U.S. could still probably throw out three teams worth of guys that would best this American team. Even some Europeans elect to focus on training with their pro clubs.

But I digress. It's good solid competition and leave it at that.

Ballo largely looked great. I think he may well have the highest upside of any player to enter the Gonzaga program.

And it looks like we wont get any Zags matchups in the Round of 16.

If Mali can knock New Zealand (Mali should be favoured) & Puerto Rico can upset Argentina, we could get Ballo/Strawther in the quarterfinals.

France will be favoured to get into the semi-finals on that same side of the bracket. Although Ayayi could have a nice challenge with the Canadian backcourt. Lawson is a potential All-SEC team candidate and Mane is a rapidly rising 5 star 2020 recruit. France on the whole is much stronger but it's a good individual challenge for Joel.

Assuming Serbia takes out Phillipines, Petrusev could play against Arlauskas in the quarters if they beat Australia. Suggs and the Americans will likely lie in wait in the semis on that side of the bracket.

Pretty obvious that kids coming to GU ( or are with us presently) are doing very well..... 1 or 2 additions and this crew could well be FF material Without injuries, no less than E 8. Kids look REALLY good.

Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
    Ballo is still 16 years old doing this against players two years older than him
    Ballo is 16?!? When is his birthday?
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Ballo with a great game to lead his team -- but came up short. 20 pts 7 boards 3 assists 2 steals and 3 blocks -- the long arms remind me of Daye (getting deflections and steals).
    His left leg/knee causing him some trouble yet played through it. Effected him a bit jumping off that leg, otherwise seemed ok. Hopefully just minor sprain or bruise, and nothing nagging him

What impresses me most about Ballo is his natural feel on defense. It isn't the prettiest or most fundamental yet he senses when and where to engage. When to help, pick up curl screens, play off the pick n roll, how to sag off perimeter, and move laterally with ball rotation, and when to drop down under the hoop.

The ideas and fundamental piece can be coached yet he has excellent instincts and understanding on defense.

Very encouraging.

Hands down a future star, yet could take some time.

Doesn't look nor play like a 16 yr old. Same age as 90% of HS Sophomores. Most of the kids in this Tourney are HS Seniors or College Freshman.

Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    Ballo is 16?!? When is his birthday?
    Ballo turns 17 on July 13th. Most players in tourney are already 19 or 18. Him and Strawther are both young and can do this again in 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    Lots of kids - especially North American - opt out of these tourneys. Canada is missing at least half dozen of their top players due to focusing on AAU, college. Likewise with the U.S. While super talented, the U.S. could still probably throw out three teams worth of guys that would best this American team. Even some Europeans elect to focus on training with their pro clubs.

But I digress. It's good solid competition and leave it at that.

Ballo largely looked great. I think he may well have the highest upside of any player to enter the Gonzaga program.
    Ballo at 16 plays like a 5* and he will be so good next March...

The guy that hit that 3pt shot to beat Mali could likely start at the post next year for SMC...

Mali loses that game do to poor "D" and out of control guards...

They need better coaching in practices and during games...lots of talent on that team...really athletic...Aussies just play really well together...

The guy that hit that 3pt shot to beat Mali could likely start at the post next year for SMC
    -- the guy that made the shot plays for Creighton.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    -- the guy that made the shot plays for Creighton.
    Thanks for the correction...Sorry - Thought he looked just like one of SMC's players...my eyes are just getting older...

The Americans really turned it up in the first game of the knockout round obliterating Latvia by 116-66, the largest margin of the tourney.

Suggs had 9 points in 13 minutes along with 2 assists & steals and 3 rebounds.

I believe Mali has made history now getting to the quarterfinals for the first time with a win over New Zealand.

Ballo was a counting machine. 15pts, 17reb, 5blk, 2stl & 3ast with just 1 to.

Puerto Rico is pulling away from Argentina late setting up potential Strawther/Ballo matchup in the quarters.

Puerto Rico 0-3 in group play about to knock off 3-0 Argentina.

Went straight up too.

Fearless and terrific natural feel for the game. Nose for the ball and likes to defend.

Biggest steal in recruiting since Ronny.

Nothing on his knee today...

I noticed on the main banner on the FIBA Twitter page posted by scrooner above, Olynyk is featured wearing the Canada jersey and Deladedova is featured with the Aussie jersey.

WCC represents!

Strawther with 15 points and 10 boards in the win over Argentina.

Howdy folks. What's the best way to watch these games live?

Awesome. But Few isn’t going to put up with the muscle and screaming antics at the end.