Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Follow Zags in FIBA

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Love this clip of Ballo. Some of his post play is Karno-like.

https://twitter.com/fiba/status/1146...790103041?s=21
    Easy to see
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    I can't tell if the sarcasm meter was turned off or not? Is this a serious post?
    My sarcasm was definitely in full effect! Not only is the play just about as good as anything they would get by staying here they get a possible once in a lifetime experience and the Gonzaga brand being represented by 6 different countries and quite well I might add means a ton to these kids and the University and future recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1970 View Post
    My sarcasm was definitely in full effect! Not only is the play just about as good as anything they would get by staying here they get a possible once in a lifetime experience and the Gonzaga brand being represented by 6 different countries and quite well I might add means a ton to these kids and the University and future recruiting.

Thanks '70. I remain pretty slow on the uptake.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Thanks '70. I remain pretty slow on the uptake.
    Yeah, but you make up for that with your mad hops.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by KStyles View Post
    I believe Disney (ESPN+) bought the US video rights.
    Interesting.... thanks! Must have been the only game they purchased cause I could view all the other ones.

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk

Karno comparison with Ballo.

Ballo is more athletic. More instinctive. Not as mechanical as Shem. Ballo is quicker off his feet, especially on the second jump. Ballo will be able to extend his range on his shot much more than Karno.

Shem made the most with what he brought to the table. Ballo has a legit shot at the League. I don’t think that was ever realistic for Shem.

Shem will always be a treasured Zag. Ballo has the tools to dominate in college and, if he works his butt off, beyond.

I’m with Reborn on this one. Totally different players.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post

Ballo is more athletic. More instinctive. Not as mechanical as Shem. Ballo is quicker off his feet, especially on the second jump. Ballo will be able to extend his range on his shot much more than Karno.

Shem made the most with what he brought to the table. Ballo has a legit shot at the League. I don’t think that was ever realistic for Shem.

Shem will always be a treasured Zag. Ballo has the tools to dominate in college and, if he works his butt off, beyond.

Your post has reminded me to experience a moment of gratitude for all the great Zag players past and future. The FIBA news is a truly remarkable.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Yeah, but you make up for that with your mad hops.

Actually, I'm mad 'cause I can't hop!
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post

Thanks for writing all that but what does that have to do with some of his post moves that are similar to some of Karnos

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    really? I don't see the similarities at all. Ballo seems so much quicker and better leaper.
    Watch him catch that entry pass at 27 seconds in. Sure hands catching that’s over the top entry pass and the immediate finish inside. A luxury we haven’t seen since Karno.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Yeah no way is Ballo a redshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstock12 View Post
    Yeah no way is Ballo a redshirt.
    lol I was just thinking that. Especially when you think about matchups.

Tillie/Petrusev are a dynamic duo offensively but may well struggle defensively against certain bigs. Ballo - despite his youth - still brings some important things that they just don't have.

Watching practices this year would be awesome. Tons of talented bigs gonna battle.

Barring injuries, Ballo will become the BEST big man/center to have played at GU. The potential is just overwhelming...

Isn't it just amazing on how proficient our coaching staff is in recognizing talent...KO, DS, Rui and BC...these kids were on no ones radar, yet they were all 1st round selections - 3 were lottery...

No doubt UK & Duke appear to get all the 5*'s each year but we find "gems in the rough" that no one else does...I hope Few and Tommy remain at GU for the next 40-50 years or possibly longer...

Without any disrespect to Karno at all, Ballo is a mile ahead of Karno at similar ages. As a frosh at GU, Karno had trouble staying on his own two feet, he was forever falling down. Ballo is much faster, quicker up, and stronger.

What we can most hope for is that Ballo has the discipline and stick-to-it ness of Karno. Karno got the most out of his technical skills (very few do), but was held back athletically as his back issues wouldn't let him do the weight room stuff to chisel down. Ballo will need to not muscle-up too much, he already has the body of a 24 year old.

The flex won't get him in trouble at all with our newly refined Coach Few, but not getting back on defense (as is seen in a few clips) will get him a great seat. But, I suspect Few won't even need to say anything, it will be the upperclassmen that deal with issues like that, ideally.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Lithuania and Serbia going to overtime -- Arlauskas with 8 points and Petrusev with 16 points and 13 boards

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Lithuania and Serbia going to overtime -- Arlauskas with 8 points and Petrusev with 16 points and 13 boards
    Petrusev with an ugly 10 turnovers today. Ew

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag19 View Post
    He got double or triple teamed the entire game. If there was even an inkling of a pass in his direction down low there were 2 defenders on him. He obviously didn't respond well to the pressure but I wonder whether he's ever actually received that much attention before. Kudos to the Lithuanian coaching staff. It's a learning experience and I trust him to get better from it.

A little disappointed Serbia lost as I wanted to see Petrusev matchup against the Americans and possibly head to head with Ballo but Lithuania was deserving.

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gundysmullet View Post
    Huge upset with Lithuania beating Serbia. Unfortunately Filip was a turnover and he foul machine again. Sigh
    Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    He got double or triple teamed the entire game. If there was even an inkling of a pass in his direction down low there were 2 defenders on him. He obviously didn't respond well to the pressure but I wonder whether he's ever actually received that much attention before. Kudos to the Lithuanian coaching staff. It's a learning experience and I trust him to get better from it.
    Teams started to give him this attention about mid-season, not double teaming per se, yet simply pressuring him.

He is swiped when he as the ball and defends with his hips on defense, instead of his feet. He is often out of position, late to commit to a defensive stance, and poor stance.

His hands/grip will keep him out of the League. He has to find a way to either keep the ball higher or hold onto the ball. He will try to pass out of the pressure, yet ANY pressure and the ball is going to pop out. Most of the time, his teammate bails him out and he can recover the ball, yet a swarming team just takes it away.

Lithuania is well coached and knew exactly how to frustrate Petrusev, which was the exact same issue during his Freshman season. He rarely anticipates the help defense, double team, or pesky guard helping. Filip has a great feel on offense, yet poor awareness recognizing, or anticipating the defense. Combined with his weak hands is a rough combination vs a good team.

Before he was scouted heavily, as in OOC play, he was able to score very efficiently and take advantage of his terrific skill, but by the time January came along, his inability to handle a double team and/or any sort of pressure was scouted and opponents feasted --- even in WCC play.

Petrusev is skilled and saavy enough on offense to play in the NBA or be a 1st Team Conference type of player, yet until he cleans up his ball security issue, he isn't going to play the most minutes. I will tell you one thing right now, Drew Timme DOES NOT HAVE weak hands. It'd take 3 players to swipe it away, or disrupt his up and under, spins, or post moves. Same goes with Ballo, strong hands, good grip.

I love Petrusev's game, skill, size, upside, shooting, and natural touch, yet 10 TO's, when 6 or 7 of them could have been completely avoided is not going to cut it. Not at the highest level, heck, not even at WCC level of post play.

I have hope he can do hand and forearm exercises, or it will be a long, frustrating, "what if" type of season for him....at least vs well coached teams.

Lithuania did exactly what I posted earlier -- just reach out and grab the ball from him before he can make a post move. The good news is Petrusev has a nose for the ball and was able to get come key rebounds to score, and his shooting is tremendous.

Timme is awesome but He’s not going to start over Petrusev plus he’s a power forward, not a center. He’s the perfect backup to Killian for his first year and then start as a sophomore along with Filip or Ballo if Petrusev goes pro after this year.
    wouldn't get too caught up with positions, esp this year. Tillie and Petrusev are both 40% 3pt shooters, and will play both forward positions. Both will run high lo, along with perimeter action. Tillie played Center for us numerous times 2 seasons ago, and from time to time last season when combined with Rui, et al. I agree Petrusev is a "center", yet Zags mix and match their forward positions fluently and frequently, unless we have a Karno-type of player on the floor.

Timme is a bona fide PF, esp with his excellent handles, yet could find himself playing mins at Center as well. Just positional assignments will be fluid, I mean Watson is expected to play SF, PF, and C next year, etc.

Timme is awesome but He’s not going to start over Petrusev plus he’s a power forward, not a center. He’s the perfect backup to Killian for his first year and then start as a sophomore along with Filip or Ballo if Petrusev goes pro after this year.
    Other than Ballo clearly being a center, I think you are kind of quibbling positionwise. Any combination of Tillie/Petrusev/Timme/Zakharov can kind of slot in at either the 4 or the 5. (not to mention Watson at the 4 as well)

I suspect Petrusev starts based on seniority but by no means do I think his place is secure. He still has serious defensive deficiencies and - as we've just seen - his offense can be curtailed with good coaching. He's got tremendous offensive skills but the competition for minutes is going to be fierce.

Other than Ballo clearly being a center, I think you are kind of quibbling positionwise. Any combination of Tillie/Petrusev/Timme/Zakharov can kind of slot in at either the 4 or the 5. (not to mention Watson at the 4 as well)

I suspect Petrusev starts based on seniority but by no means do I think his place is secure. He still has serious defensive deficiencies and - as we've just seen - his offense can be curtailed with good coaching. He's got tremendous offensive skills but the competition for minutes is going to be fierce.
    well put. agreed, and you said what I was trying to say much more concisely. thanks for the assist

This.

Although Few probably has an idea on starting rotation, he’s probably leaving it open pending practice and scrimmage outcomes.

This is spot on... the coaches want to see massive improvement from Filip on the defensive end...
    If that does not happen, his minutes will be reduced as talented guys are waiting in the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAG 4 LIFE View Post
    This is spot on... the coaches want to see massive improvement from Filip on the defensive end...
    If that does not happen, his minutes will be reduced as talented guys are waiting in the wings.
    What excites me most about Ballo are the obvious attributes yet even moreso, how he stays engaged, focused, high motor. Love his natural/raw feel on defense too. Never seen many 16 yr old kids like him, ever.

He is out of position on post up D, yet his help defense and timing and length are superb.

[QUOTE=DixieZag;1470651]Without any disrespect to Karno at all, Ballo is a mile ahead of Karno at similar ages. As a frosh at GU, Karno had trouble staying on his own two feet, he was forever falling down. Ballo is much faster, quicker up, and stronger.

Coach K offered Karno. Fran tweeted he is a burger kid if he goes to HS here. Maybe they saw something you missed