Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Follow Zags in FIBA

Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    Howdy folks. What's the best way to watch these games live?
    http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019

or

https://www.youtube.com/user/FIBAWorld/featured

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Awesome. But Few isn’t going to put up with the muscle and screaming antics at the end.
    Don't know if he'd have an issue with the screaming... I think he'd have more of an issue of the lack of hustle getting into the play on the offensive end. But that was a great block... can't wait to see that next season.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by gundysmullet View Post
    Filip with 15/6 on 100% shooting at the half against Philippines. He honestly may be the most gifted offensive center that we have ever had by the time he finishes his career at GU.
    completely agree. if Petrusev is one-on-one, he's going to score. He is highly skilled, great feel, touch, and a terrific shooter to boot.

however, he MUST strengthen those hands, which was scouted last season. when pressured by pesky sagging guards or a swiping post defender, i t lead to TO's via lost balls, a big reason he lost PT/confidence even before Tillie returned or re-injured.

as much as he has 'soft' hands, he has 'weak' hands.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Don't know if he'd have an issue with the screaming... I think he'd have more of an issue of the lack of hustle getting into the play on the offensive end. But that was a great block... can't wait to see that next season.
    this.

Coach Few has allowed players to celebrate more and more post-2006 ish.

Soto blocked about four of his shots
    Sotto is credited with 1 block and Petrusev only had one missed shot (7/8 from the floor)-- unless he was blocking his free throws -- (3/7 from the line).

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Sotto is credited with 1 block and Petrusev only had one missed shot (7/8 from the floor)-- unless he was blocking his free throws -- (3/7 from the line).
    I believe he is referring to all the easy swipes he got off Petrusev. Obviously I've made mention of this and saw it in this tourney as well.

Same issue as last season.

The way he positions the ball, a bit lower on his waist, combined with his loose grip on the ball, he gets balls swiped far too easily, too often.

While not a "block", they might as well be.

He needs to carry around a 20lb medicine ball this entire off season, and get that ball up faster, not mid move or bringing it down off offensive rebounds.

Filip brings so much else to the table, yet this holds him back and leads to frustration.

It doesn't always cause a TO, as Petrusev can often recover the ball, or another teammate picks it up and resets the possession or puts up their own shot.

If France gets by Greece today, all of our players' teams will be in the quarter finals. Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    -- unless he was blocking his free throws -- (3/7 from the line).

Did the officials go to the monitor's?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Yeah you have made that observation a few times and it is a good one. He can be too loose with the ball at times, but he is so gifted offensively it’s easy to overlook his shortcomings.
    No doubt, Pertrusev is a great player.

I was one of his biggest proponents for more PT last season.

He won that Duke game in my mind, and could have made a difference in our final game as well, esp when we needed an anchor in the post. As Clarke and Rui were forced to play a face up game vs Tech down low, and Tillie was having one of his more "checked out" games.

He was also one of our best players in practice last season. A former player told me, "he never misses", which I posted here as well.

Im excited to watch him explode this season. Definitely nit picking his lack of strength with the ball as the rest of his game has really blossomed and there is a reason he is on a ton of NBA radars right now.

And he hasn't even shown off his sweet shooting stroke this Tourney.

Yeah, I expect him to be right up there with Sabonis and Clarke for field-goal percentage next season. It’s amazing how many top level “bigs” Few keeps churning out now.
    There isn't a deeper, more versatile frontcourt in Nation.

Filip with 17/8 But committed a bunch of silly fouls on Soto and Soto blocked about three of his shots but he is very skilled offensively. He did struggle at the free-throw line though. Soto finished with 13/8
    His Achilles heel to success

Silly fouls and poor position on defense. Clean those up he wins awards and we become a top 10 power to be contended with
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I tried watching Ballo in the Mali vs. New Zealand game, but YouTube says its blocked due to copyright issues. Weird....

Anyone else having the same issue?

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Razorzag99 View Post
    I tried watching Ballo in the Mali vs. New Zealand game, but YouTube says its blocked due to copyright issues. Weird....

Anyone else having the same issue?

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk
    I believe Disney (ESPN+) bought the US video rights.

One of the best posts I have read on this site! There is no question that the depth of talent and players ability to play within a team's structure is not perfect! How could it be? The fact remains that this is highly visible worldwide stage that these kids are preforming on with every D1 and professional basketball organization tuning in and they all know it. For young kids on elite level teams like Gonzaga that do not get a chance to play the stage dosnt get much bigger! For a kid like JA this is what it is all about, this is his future and it matters. There are 351 D1 teams in college basketball JA would have played a huge role in 250 of them last year. At Gonzaga he is a project that is still developing and these games are huge for his confidence due to lack of big stage time on the court for GU.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I think that being one of the best players on your team can build confidence and be good for the heart/mind/soul of someone who has been wasting away on the bench and going through the grind of the D1 season without much of the reward. I also think that playing in real games and experiencing real game situations where what you do matters, instead of playing in garbage time, is likely beneficial as well.
    I was referring to this post.

For fun-- Fan vote--

Voting for MVP based upon the 8 teams that have made it so far -- of the 9 options -- qty 4 are Zags

Nothing to sign up for-- just takes a second to vote.

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19...ed-fibau19-mvp

Good story on Zags in FIBA

"When asked about facing a fellow future Zags, Ballo said: "I know we will face them. I am ready for them. Those guys are my brothers and I am happy for them because they play really good. Gonzaga is like a family and all of us are playing good. I'm really happy."

"It's great. Those are my boys, we will all play together eventually. That's huge for the program. It just shows how much they value the international players and puts Gonzaga on the map, puts international players on the map. It's just great for everyone," Petrusev said.

Petrusev (20.3ppg), Strawther (20.3ppg), Ayayi (20.0ppg) and Ballo (17.5ppg) are in the top 8 in scoring; Ballo is tops in rebounds (12.0rpg) and Petrusev fifth (9.8rpg); Ayayi is second in steals (3.0spg); Ballo is tied for the lead in blocks (4.0bpg) and Petrusev is tied for 4th (2.3bpg); and Ballo leads in efficiency per game (31.5) while Petrusev is second (29.3) and Ayayi is fifth (20.3).

https://www.fiba.basketball/world/u1...over-heraklion

Be nice if we collected Suggs based on the strong showing of our kids at FIBA...
    Last edited by MDABE80; 07-04-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    One of the best posts I have read on this site! There is no question that the depth of talent and players ability to play within a team's structure is not perfect! How could it be? The fact remains that this is highly visible worldwide stage that these kids are preforming on with every D1 and professional basketball organization tuning in and they all know it. For young kids on elite level teams like Gonzaga that do not get a chance to play the stage dosnt get much bigger! For a kid like JA this is what it is all about, this is his future and it matters. There are 351 D1 teams in college basketball JA would have played a huge role in 250 of them last year. At Gonzaga he is a project that is still developing and these games are huge for his confidence due to lack of big stage time on the court for GU.
    Agree with your sentiments but the Zags play in huge games every year, plus the NCAA tournament. If Joel can shine on this stage it will help his NBA cause much more. But it is great to see him light it up and if he’s going to play a bigger role at Gonzaga, this is the time. I will be rooting for him.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Love this clip of Ballo. Some of his post play is Karno-like.

https://twitter.com/fiba/status/1146...790103041?s=21
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post

really? I don't see the similarities at all. Ballo seems so much quicker and better leaper.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post

The fluidity of his movements actually remind me much more of Ronny. Especially in the clip where he kicked his feet up while hanging from the two handed jam.

The kid is going to be special, no doubt.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    Agree with your sentiments but the Zags play in huge games every year, plus the NCAA tournament. If Joel can shine on this stage it will help his NBA cause much more. But it is great to see him light it up and if he’s going to play a bigger role at Gonzaga, this is the time. I will be rooting for him.
    Couldn't agree with you more!

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    The fluidity of his movements actually remind me much more of Ronny. Especially in the clip where he kicked his feet up while hanging from the two handed jam.

The kid is going to be special, no doubt.
    Yes! I can see THAT. that would be so great if he turns out to be as good as Ronny.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!