Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Follow Zags in FIBA

Default Follow Zags in FIBA

Here is a link to follow our Zags playing in FIBA. So far Petrusev and Ayayi have looked very good.

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019

I saw a few highlights on Twitter and both Ayayi and Petrusev look next-level (as they should). I really pull for Ayayi and I hope that makes a leap this year.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1970 View Post
    Here is a link to follow our Zags playing in FIBA. So far Petrusev and Ayayi have looked very good.

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019
    From The Slipper Still Fits: "Joel Ayayi: 10 points (5-8 FG, 0-3 3pt), 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 5 steals, 0 turnovers"

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...-to-the-buzzer

Hey Jazz, Ayayi is looking more like “Équipe" than "équipage", just as he did last summer.
    Parlez-vous français?

I don't know how to post Twitter videos but this one is labeled: Joel Ayayi with 3 dunks in less than 3 minutes!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1145299140655509505

As pointed out in another thread, this international comp is low D1 at best, so don’t get too excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    From The Slipper Still Fits: "Joel Ayayi: 10 points (5-8 FG, 0-3 3pt), 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 5 steals, 0 turnovers"

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...-to-the-buzzer

Hey Jazz, Ayayi is looking more like “Équipe" than "équipage", just as he did last summer.

Ballo playing on July 2 against Australia.

https://twitter.com/GonzagaGuru/stat...67804335366146

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    As pointed out in another thread, this international comp is low D1 at best, so don’t get too excited.
    Well that sucks! Doesn’t bode well that our top priority for 2020 could only score 2 points vs Lithuania�� or that one of this years top recruits couldn’t even make the US team. Also, I suppose it’s not great that nearly half our roster is wasting time and traveling great distances to play vs low D1 when they could stay stateside and play scrimmages with guys like Ira Brown or Angel Nunez or Admon Gilder or even AAU.
    Last edited by zagfan1970; 06-30-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Yeah, it pretty much does suck. Euro ball does not easily translate as we’ve seen time after time after time...

I’ve always been in the “stay here and work with your next team” camp

Watching our players/recruits play in international tournaments over the summer is one of my favorite off-season activities. You get to see stuff like Joel Ayayi throwing down three dunks in France's game today, showing that he's finally developing some explosiveness and strength in his legs. I'm always more surprised when players pass up an opportunity to wear their country's jersey.

The level of competition is pretty mixed. Our guys will definitely be challenged with some tough match ups throughout.

Surprised Pavel isnt playing with/for Russia?

I feel he is a future stud center who moves very well for his size and can shoot as well.

one of this years top recruits couldn’t even make the US team.

Um, you realize that this team is what the coaches consider to be the top 12 players in the nation in their class, right? Anton is ranked in the low 30's at best; making the final 18 is pretty good. About 14 excellent players didn't make the first cut to 18, so I don't get the disparaging remark. I don't expect him to be an out of the box superstar, but I think he'll be a very good contributor as a fr and a star before he's done, whether that's his second year or 3rd (probably second, given current trends).

Well that sucks! Doesn’t bode well that our top priority for 2020 could only score 2 points vs Lithuania�� or that one of this years top recruits couldn’t even make the US team. Also, I suppose it’s not great that nearly half our roster is wasting time and traveling great distances to play vs low D1 when they could stay stateside and play scrimmages with guys like Ira Brown or Angel Nunez or Admon Gilder or even AAU.

I can't tell if the sarcasm meter was turned off or not? Is this a serious post?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    I can't tell if the sarcasm meter was turned off or not? Is this a serious post?
    Probably a little serious. We’ve debated the futility of Zag players leaving for the summer to play for their national team. Remember debates with Pangos. FIBA versus staying home and develop for next season.

That would depend on your definition of the word serious.... Whether it is sarcasm or not it is up to the subjective thought processes of the reader to determine the meaning of this post.... I vote yes it is a serious post, which has nothing to do with how it is perceived by others....

let me add serious because it is a post.... as to the meaning... I took it as sarcasm...

Maybe my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!
    Last edited by bigblahla; 07-01-2019 at 01:53 PM.
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

My first thought was sarcasm since it was a reply to another post. I would think it's a great thing to have your players going to play some of the very best players around the world in their age bracket.

Here's how I translated the post. Jazz said that we shouldn't get excited by Ayayi playing well as the competition is like Low Division one. Then Zagfan posted that we should then be worried because our top priority recruit hasn't played great the first two game...this was clearly in regards to Suggs. So, simply put, yes it was meant as sarcasm as he was pointing out how Jazz is down on one guy but disregards another with the same context of play. Everyone needs to relax....geez.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Probably a little serious. We’ve debated the futility of Zag players leaving for the summer to play for their national team. Remember debates with Pangos. FIBA versus staying home and develop for next season.
    Being selected to represent your country and play against the best players in your age group around the world while typically traveling to another country to do so is a lot of things, but futile it is not. More like an honor, great achievement, great opportunity, educational, eye opening etc etc.

People who say it’s futile aren’t really paying attention. Coach Few has publicly acknowledged his willingness to see that international players are free to represent their country in the summer. It is just one of many important factors that make Gonzaga an attractive school for international talent. Doesn’t seem like a “we will let them if we have to” attitude from Zags coaching staff; rather, Few et al seem to have a lot of respect and admiration for experience of playing internationally and representing one’s country.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

I think everyone had their sarcasm detectors powered off.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I think that being one of the best players on your team can build confidence and be good for the heart/mind/soul of someone who has been wasting away on the bench and going through the grind of the D1 season without much of the reward. I also think that playing in real games and experiencing real game situations where what you do matters, instead of playing in garbage time, is likely beneficial as well.

Drop the Mic and walk off the stage JP, hit it out of the park

��✌️-on the money JP!
    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I think that being one of the best players on your team can build confidence and be good for the heart/mind/soul of someone who has been wasting away on the bench and going through the grind of the D1 season without much of the reward. I also think that playing in real games and experiencing real game situations where what you do matters, instead of playing in garbage time, is likely beneficial as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I think everyone had their sarcasm detectors powered off.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I for one got whooshed. Color me red faced.

FIBA ball did not impede Rui's development. Wasn't he "discovered" playing at an international tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I am always excited to see our players succeed.

It remains that your joke about équipage made no sense.
    Parlez-vous français?

Serbia downs France 85-76

Ayayi with 33 points 4 boards, 4 assists and 4 steals
    Petrusev with 18 points, 13 boards, 2 assists, 3 blocks and 3 steals