Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BYU to AAC?

Default BYU to AAC?

A lot of chatter about the American trying to replace UCONN with BYU. I'm not sure how realistic this is but it sounds like it's a possibility.

well im sure they will win there just like they have in the... wait...

It's not about winning. It's about butts in the seats & atmosphere on the road.

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    A lot of chatter about the American trying to replace UCONN with BYU. I'm not sure how realistic this is but it sounds like it's a possibility.
    Maybe all sports except football to take the place of UConn's teams moving to the BE...I am assuming UConn's FB team will remain in the AAC. If that isn't the case then don't see BYU moving, because they want to remain as an independent or so that's what I have heard...

It is trending on Twitter...so it must be true....

BYU should realize that the better athletic programs have been wanting OUT of the AAC for years.

And what has it exactly done for Wichita State?

Wait, what? I assumed football would be the only reason they would consider it. The Mountain West kind of fell apart when Utah and TCU departed, that probably made it easy for BYU to leave. South Florida and Central Florida have decent programs, Houston has been good off and on. But if BYU stays independent in football...what is the draw? A lateral move in other sports (actually probably a step backward in men's and women's hoops, a huge downgrade for women's volleyball) with ludicrous travel logistics. I mean seriously, why would they even think about this?

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    BYU should realize that the better athletic programs have been wanting OUT of the AAC for years.

And what has it exactly done for Wichita State?
    Exactly. BYU leadership can't be this dumb can they?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Maybe all sports except football to take the place of UConn's teams moving to the BE...I am assuming UConn's FB team will remain in the AAC. If that isn't the case then don't see BYU moving, because they want to remain as an independent or so that's what I have heard...
    UConn's football team is going to play an independent schedule - leaving the AAC in search of another football program

I would be weary of joining the AAC, if other options are out there. That entire league consists of schools who want to be somewhere else. If the Big XII ever needs a couple of new members, they’ll take the two best programs in that league (whoever that might be) and hobble the league even more.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    I guess anything is possible. But no.

If they go it will be for football, and their basketball program will have to tag along.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    UConn's football team is going to play an independent schedule - leaving the AAC in search of another football program
    That being the case then I don't see BYU moving as they want the independence in playing who they want for football...plus they have their own TV Network to show their games world wide so to speak...

I think BYU would join a conference but not the AAC..."IF" the B12 came a calling they would go...IMO

Don’t want it to happen, obviously. According to the commissioner’s press statements, it sounds like BYU may not have shown interest (at least not yet).

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Wait, what? I assumed football would be the only reason they would consider it. The Mountain West kind of fell apart when Utah and TCU departed, that probably made it easy for BYU to leave. South Florida and Central Florida have decent programs, Houston has been good off and on. But if BYU stays independent in football...what is the draw? A lateral move in other sports (actually probably a step backward in men's and women's hoops, a huge downgrade for women's volleyball) with ludicrous travel logistics. I mean seriously, why would they even think about this?
    ---
    One perspective from the Desert News:

Supporters note BYU was ranked a respectable 31st last year in the Directors' Cup rankings — the measure of a school’s performance in all sports combined — but this was based on the performance of baseball, softball, women’s soccer, men’s volleyball and the men’s and women’s golf and track teams. Those sports don’t put people in the stands, money in the bank or market the mission of a school.

Football drives the national sports conversation, and BYU has not been a significant part of the conversation for years.

"It feels like the decision to be independent clearly has not worked,” said Dave Checketts, a BYU alumnus and the former general manager of the Utah Jazz and president of the New York Knicks who has maintained close ties with BYU. “It feels like they need a conference, like it’s a necessity. It’s no secret it hurts them in every way. … They thought they would be invited into a conference sooner rather than later when they left the Mountain West. … What are their choices — go back to the Mountain West?”
    The rise and fall: An inside look at the decline of BYU's marquee sports programs

Utah changed the equation.... their current situation is probably their best situation.....or they could kiss and makeup with the Mountain West.... in any case, winning solves all the problems....can they win with the honor code ?

Currently the Utah fans are just killing them.....

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Well there you go. I thought BYU made a mistake going independent in football. They aren't Notre Dame (and I think even Notre Dame would be better served being in a conference, but they're too greedy and don't want to share any of that shiny TV money they're getting).

Well there you go. I thought BYU made a mistake going independent in football. They aren't Notre Dame (and I think even Notre Dame would be better served being in a conference, but they're too greedy and don't want to share any of that shiny TV money they're getting).
    I remembered the article from a while ago and am surprised it was so easy for me to find. There are some good nuggets in there.

Sometimes I honestly wonder if GU should consider building a D-1 football team with an eye on the Pac.

No, I did not miss having a football team while on campus, but it just opens so many doors to so many things, and damn a stadium down by the river in Spokane would be simply beautiful.

Yes, it costs a fortune to start up, no there is not a big natural fanbase to put 50,000 butts in seats, but I still think it should be strongly considered.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Sometimes I honestly wonder if GU should consider building a D-1 football team with an eye on the Pac.

No, I did not miss having a football team while on campus, but it just opens so many doors to so many things, and damn a stadium down by the river in Spokane would be simply beautiful.

Yes, it costs a fortune to start up, no there is not a big natural fanbase to put 50,000 butts in seats, but I still think it should be strongly considered.
    I'm sure it has been considered, maybe even strongly, and the first two parts of your sentence were probably the conclusion. Solve those issues, and GU might bring back football. MWC/Big Sky would probably be more likely.

Dixie….the PAC would not invite GU for essentially the same reasons they do not invite BYU.....BYU is a religious institution and it is not a RU/VH Research University.....

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    well im sure they will win there just like they have in the... wait...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Dixie….the PAC would not invite GU for essentially the same reasons they do not invite BYU.....BYU is a religious institution and it is not a RU/VH Research University.....
    That is likely the biggest barrier, though GU is more of a research university than BYU in many ways, and we do bring them cred with basketball. But, you're likely right.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

For all practical purposes ND is in the ACC...the FB team plays five games each year vs ACC teams and all their other sports' teams compete in the ACC...

ND is a lot like UT...UT doesn't want to share it's TV revenue with the B12 either...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    For all practical purposes ND is in the ACC...the FB team plays five games each year vs ACC teams and all their other sports' teams compete in the ACC...

ND is a lot like UT...UT doesn't want to share it's TV revenue with the B12 either...
    They play Michigan and Michigan St. every year don't they? They should be in the Big 10, but it probably won't ever happen. ND vs. tOSU, ND vs. Penn St., those games would put plenty of butts in seats. Heck they play Stanford and USC every year, they could be in the Pac 12 too.