Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: NBA Summer League

Quote Originally Posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
    What a sequence, steal, 360 spin move, and a nice soft shot by MVP
    Looked like back to back steals.

Definitely coached up to take ball in transition as a Gonzaga big. He pushes it off long rebounds or steals. Well coached.

I haven't seen any other bigs in SL run transition break, outside Rui Hachimura.

Calm cool collected compared to other Memphis players.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    I said he was going to be the Rookie of the Year in the NBA this year last November and the Summer League MVP will be the first of many awards he earns in the NBA. Really proud of you Brandon!

4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 2 blocks, 5 pounds in 9 minutes!!!!
    You also said he'd be drafted from 5-10 and would be projected as such after the combine.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    And hasn't really played since.

Definitely not getting as much "run" tonight, at least not thus far. Maybe giving others a look, or protecting him a bit.
    Exactly. Started played 17mins each or so. He is at 12.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    You also said he'd be drafted from 5-10 and would be projected as such after the combine.
    Well IMHO, based on his summer performance, bbz was right and all those teams that passed on him were quite wrong.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    The NBA front offices are full of over thinkers. BC shut down Zion Williamson earlier this year. You could get a guy that shut down the best rookie in the league literally 6 months ago and they all whiffed. Ridiculous. How many guys in free agency could shut down Zion? Versus how many guys in free agency could replicate the role of Coby White or Jarret Culver?

Clarke with 15 pts, 16 rebs, 4 asts, & 3 blks.
    Last edited by raise the zag; 07-15-2019 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    The NBA front offices are full of over thinkers. BC shut down Zion Williamson earlier this year. You could get a guy that shut down the best rookie in the league literally 6 months ago and they all whiffed. Ridiculous. How many guys in free agency could shut down Zion? Versus how many guys in free agency could replicate the role of Coby White or Jarret Culver?
    Zion went for 22 and 10. He averaged 22.6 on the season. Only RJ (his teammate) outscored him, by getting 23.

I'd like to see a definition of "shut down" which would encompass that result.

First player ever win MVP of summer ball and championship MVP......Gonzaga's Brandon Clarke. Sweeeeeet
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    First player ever win MVP of summer ball and championship MVP......Gonzaga's Brandon Clarke. Sweeeeeet
    Amazing! too fun. exciting for him and Zags fans alike.

Couldn't happen to a better person/player, and very much deserved.

Great press for Gonzaga too.

Very nice! Couldn't happen to a more humble guy who has paid his dues.

Brandon Clarke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Killed it!
    Parlez-vous français?

Congrats to Brandon Clarke and Memphis. Clarke winning MVP award. One stat that couldn't be counted was his ability to keep Minn. guards from attacking the basket. They were really intimidated by Brandon. Grayson Allen (Duke) I though also had a good game. He wasn't shooting well, and had the intelligence to not try to shoot from the outside but to attack the basket off the dribble. He played a real good second half, along with Clarke. I'd say that a good deal of Clarke's points came after getting offensive rebounds. He also shot a lot of free throws and was very effective from the line. I really enjoyed watching him. He represented Gonzaga really well.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Brandon has only just begun! What a great introduction to the NBA!

BC Highlights from the final:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVM7ZDwDOMk

I can’t get over how perfect it is for Brandon to land in Memphis with Ja and Jaren. My lord! They are all twinkly eyed and scheming already.
    Parlez-vous français?

This + Clarke 1st team All Summer League & Rui 2nd team All Summer League.

Way to represent Zags!

GMs vastly underrating Zags and WCC competition? Hope these two shine bright all season long and help the 2020 Zags draftees get picked as high as possible.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    I can’t get over how perfect it is for Brandon to land in Memphis with Ja and Jaren. My lord! They are all twinkly eyed and scheming already.
    It was super frustrating watching him fall at the draft and you could see disappointment in his body language but the second I saw the team I thought it was a perfect fit. He can slide in there so nicely with those 2 moving forward.

Not to mention Valuncianias is still only 27 himself and has not shown he has peaked yet. JV is a nightmare to guard and both JJJ & BC can help shield him a bit defensively.

Grit and grind era 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    +1. It has been entertaining to watch summer league because he has stood above the rest, and you can tell that he is having fun and that his teammates like him. As for career trajectory, I keep thinking of him as some sort of hybrid between Blake Griffin and Andre Iguodala.
    Dennis Rodman. Quick pogo stick hops, ability to slide on defense, can cover 1 thru 5 on defense, a rebounding machine. I watched the draft and am still stunned he didn't go top 10.

Unfortunately, Boston (Danny Ainge is an awesome GM) has Memphis' #1 pick next year (top 6 protected). Memphis will be in great shape for the next 5 years building around their core of Morant, Jackson and Clarke. Fun to see Jackson's expressions watching Clarke play knowing he's got himself a running mate for the next 10 years.

+50

ESPN:

Best rookie (tournament edition): Brandon Clarke | Memphis Grizzlies

Like Alexander-Walker, Clarke got off to a late start this summer due to a trade that wasn't yet finalized. The extra rest paid off for Clarke, who nearly averaged a double-double (14.7 points and 9.8 rebounds per game) while leading the Grizzlies to the Vegas title.

After a solid debut, Clarke really turned it on during the tournament portion of the competition, recording double-doubles in all three games. The Gonzaga product was also typically effective at the defensive end of the court, swatting seven shots in three tournament games. Like the Pelicans, Memphis impressed despite a high lottery pick -- in this case No. 2 selection Ja Morant -- sitting out due to injury, and Clarke was the biggest reason why.

2. Brandon Clarke, Memphis Grizzlies (Gonzaga), 21st pick: Clarke scored 23 points and grabbed 14 boards in an overtime summer league semifinal win over New Orleans Sunday night. Clarke had a skill set that was transferrable immediately in the NBA. He runs the floor well, gets to the rim, boards and block shots. Clarke will get plenty of chances with the Grizzlies. After the championship game on Monday night, Clarke was awarded the overall Summer League MVP. He's another example of a college player who was ready to come in and contribute immediately. And he's proving it in July.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...d-out-2019-nba

In a league where all the 4s and 5s are being required to show an effective 3PT shot these days, I was happy to see Brandon step out and show some range too throughout this summer league. He was incredible on defense in the Summer League Championship. There was a stretch where Minnesota pulled it really close and he stopped them a few consecutive possessions.

Quote Originally Posted by zag944 View Post
    In a league where all the 4s and 5s are being required to show an effective 3PT shot these days, I was happy to see Brandon step out and show some range too throughout this summer league. He was incredible on defense in the Summer League Championship. There was a stretch where Minnesota pulled it really close and he stopped them a few consecutive possessions.
    The 'Wolves were doing everything they could to keep him out of the paint. They had stretch 4 & 5s in the game which he had to honor. It was effective, he saw less opportunities to help-side defend for a while, especially in the 3rd quarter. Down the stretch though I think Minnesotas offense broke down and lost discipline which allowed B.C. to challenge or intimidate a lot of shots in the 4th quarter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!