Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your first Zag game?

Default Your first Zag game?

Testing the ol' memory here, yet out of curiousity...

1.) When & where was the first time you watched the Zags play? Essentially, the first game you can recall watching/seeing them.

2.) Also, when & where was the first time you watched Zags play in person [live]?

I assume most of us saw Zags play on TV before seeing them live, yet also wondering when you first saw them in person? Maybe at the K1, K2, a preseason tournament, road game, Vegas, NCAA Tourney, etc.

If you're able to recall these moments, venues, opponents, etc, please share.

1962-63 season. I was 7 years old. Went with my Dad and watched the Zags beat WSU in the Spokane Coliseum.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

1) First saw the Zags play was in 2005 against Michigan State in Maui. I was waiting for the Arizona/UCONN game to start
    2) First Zags game live was in 2014 in Pauley Pavilion against UCLA.

1) I don't remember the specific game, but it was near the end of the regular season in 1999.
    2) Wednesday, November 24th 2004. GU hosted University of Idaho. It was the third regular season game in K2. Turiaf had 40.

I don't remember how old I was or what year, or who they played or who won, but my dad took me to see the Zags play because Burgess was such a phenomenon.
    My dad took me to a lot of hockey, some football, but that was the only basketball game we ever attended together.
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

1957 beat College of Idaho 71-37......there were no Gonzaga games on television...

Hank Anderson was the coach and started Turner, Lefebvre, Redmond, Gordon, Vermillion …..

I was a 17 year old freshman.....GU lost 4 games to Elgin Baylor and Seattle University ……

Burgess came the next year... 1958...they beat SU in Spokane but lost the other 3 to the Chieftains ..

SU was near the top of the college basketball world and played Gonzaga 4 times a year when Gonzaga could not draw flies.

Quote Originally Posted by IMADEYOUREADTHIS View Post
    1) I don't remember the specific game, but it was near the end of the regular season in 1999.
    2) Wednesday, November 24th 2004. GU hosted University of Idaho. It was the third regular season game in K2. Turiaf had 40.
    This is an oldie! My brother attended WSC(!) 1947-1949. He came up from Pullman (about 1949) and took me to WSC-GU at the old Armory on 2nd or 3rd. I was probably 10 yr old. (70 yrs ago)
    Cougars had Gene Conley, Ed Gada and others who ran over the Boone Avenue Brawlers easily. But GU had Rich Evans and a little Irish guard Jimmy Mucahey. Pretty impressive game for a little guy like me.

Didn't see the Bulldogs until 1957 in the Coliseum when I matriculated to GU and DeSmet Hall. My roommate Jean Claude Lefebvre made his debut possibly against Eastern Washington and Red Reese's Fighting Savages.

1 and 2: Kennedy Pavilion (Martin Center) Fall 1985.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Since they weren't regularly on TV before "The Run" started, I'm pretty sure the first time I saw them play was live. 1999 Key Arena vs. Minnesota in the Tourney. Then again against Stanford. My dad was with me, but he had me trumped by quite a few years. He saw the Zags play in Portland in the Far West Classic in the mid 80s. He came back from the game raving about some little PG from Gonzaga named Stockton.

edit--it's possible I saw GU play on tv against LMU during the Kimble-Gathers era, but I don't remember specifically

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    1 and 2: Kennedy Pavilion (Martin Center) Fall 1985.
    +1
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

December 1983 in KP against EWU. I was new to Spokane and thought GU’s point guard was pretty good.

1) 2003 Round of 32 game vs Arizona. I was 12 and it had me hooked on them moving forward, still can't believe that shot by Stepp didn't go in.
    2) Battle in Seattle against UConn. I still remember how excited the crowd was until AJ Price hit a crazy 3 to send the game to OT and you could all of a sudden hear a pin drop in Key Arena.

2001 Dec 31 v. St. Joes. with Jameer Nelson and Delonte West. Great game to see and yes the "Hawk" flapped his wings the whole game.

1. In the mid-60's, think they were in WCAC...was a Game of the Week with Dick Enberg.

2. In Kansas City can't remember the year but I think we played Duke and KSU. Met Woohoo for the first time...

1) Rillie dropping about seven 3's (v Santa Clara, I think?) to win the WCC tourney in '95

2) At UW in Dec '97, Hendrix, Q Hall, and sophs MS, Frahm et al giving the Huskies w/ Dickau, MacCulloch, Watts all they could handle in I think an 88-82 loss. I became a Zag bandwagoner that night and have been on the bandwagon since.

‘81 - ‘82 season vs. USF & Quintin Dailey in K-1..........

Quote Originally Posted by stevet75 View Post
    I don't remember how old I was or what year, or who they played or who won, but my dad took me to see the Zags play because Burgess was such a phenomenon.
    Similar. Zags were playing UW in Seattle. Burgess was obviously the best player on the court, but if my memory is correct the Zags lost. I was probably in the 7th grade.

I know I saw some games live before this, but the first game I really remember was 1989 vs Oregon St.

Payton, Haskins and Alibegovic were way too much, but damn if our crowd wasn’t engaged and on point with heckling Payton. We didn’t get the win (or even a respectable loss) but we got the reaction we were looking for ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1and 2 in Missoula. Gonzaga was a new name I hadn't heard of before when they came to play at U of Montana. It must have been in the late 60's somewhere. I remember thinking the name sounded like Godzilla No idea who won that game.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

My only GU game (in Spokane) was LMU @ Gonzaga Sat, Jan 27, 1990. The final score was LMU 99 Gonzaga 88. I had been in Spokane for 4 years after leaving San Diego. I had a great relationship with Michael Cage from SDSU. I was a DJ in Spokane's #1 nightclub. I knew LMU was in town to play GU, and also knew where they were staying. So I called Cavanaughs River Inn and asked for Bo Kimbles room. Bo answered the phone, and I told him I was a good friend of Michael Cage and a DJ here in town. I asked him if he wanted to check out a few clubs in town. He told me that would be great and said he and Hank would be ready at 6 pm. I took them to my club first. While at Swackhammers we had food and drinks (soda) and I paid. They signed a few shirts and they were hung above the bar. Hank mentioned that LMU would be playing on CBS February 3rd against LSU with Shaquille O'Neal, and I should check it out. Bo and Hank offered be a couple tickets for the LMU @ GU game. This was my first GU game ever, and I was rooting for LMU.

On Sunday March 4th 1990, I was setting up for another week at Swackhammers, we had ESPN on. They reported that Hank Gathers had died in Portland during the WCC Tournament. I looked to the bartenders with a very sad look, and they had the same look.
    Needless to say, the LMU run in March Madness was an epic run. I love those guys.

1. The second round game vs Stanford in 1999.

2. The Steph Curry Davidson game in Raleigh.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

A year or so before this pic was taken. November of 1973 ish

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Two games in Kennedy in December 1970: loss to WSU and win over Seattle U.

Feb 22, 2001 Dan Dickau hit 9 - 3's in one game. Went 9-13 from 3 and hit one with two feet on the "G" in Gonzaga. He was unconscious that night. Memorable to say the least.....

ZAGNUT 2012

Gonzaga vs Arizona. The Blake Stepp missed runner ugh
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.