Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your first Zag game?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    My only GU game (in Spokane) was LMU @ Gonzaga Sat, Jan 27, 1990. The final score was LMU 99 Gonzaga 88. I had been in Spokane for 4 years after leaving San Diego. I had a great relationship with Michael Cage from SDSU. I was a DJ in Spokane's #1 nightclub. I knew LMU was in town to play GU, and also knew where they were staying. So I called Cavanaughs River Inn and asked for Bo Kimbles room. Bo answered the phone, and I told him I was a good friend of Michael Cage and a DJ here in town. I asked him if he wanted to check out a few clubs in town. He told me that would be great and said he and Hank would be ready at 6 pm. I took them to my club first. While at Swackhammers we had food and drinks (soda) and I paid. They signed a few shirts and they were hung above the bar. Hank mentioned that LMU would be playing on CBS February 3rd against LSU with Shaquille O'Neal, and I should check it out. Bo and Hank offered be a couple tickets for the LMU @ GU game. This was my first GU game ever, and I was rooting for LMU.

On Sunday March 4th 1990, I was setting up for another week at Swackhammers, we had ESPN on. They reported that Hank Gathers had died in Portland during the WCC Tournament. I looked to the bartenders with a very sad look, and they had the same look.
    Needless to say, the LMU run in March Madness was an epic run. I love those guys.
    Fantastic story. Thanks.

1994 listening to games on the radio. First game i believe was 1998 at K1.

"Pretty sure Nick Vanos died in the crash of a Northwest Airlines plane near Detroit."

you're absolutely right....I must be thinking of someone else, and no, it wasn't Hank from LMU....the memory......

1) I think the first time I saw the Zags on TV was 1987, though I had been following them for a few years.

2) First and only live game was the Battle in Seattle against Oklahoma State in 2006. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmY-BXzMc5g

Default Your first Zag game?

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Testing the ol' memory here, yet out of curiousity...

1.) When & where was the first time you watched the Zags play? Essentially, the first game you can recall watching/seeing them.

2.) Also, when & where was the first time you watched Zags play in person [live]?
    Answer is same for both:

Watched the Zags on back to back nights in the Kennel: Friday, 1/16/76, a 60 - 59 loss to Idaho ( Big Sky Conference Game ). The following night, they handled Hardin-Simmons 82 - 60.

Upper bleachers on the north side of the court were mostly empty. Showing a student ID card got you in the door. It was an underwhelming atmosphere.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 07-03-2019 at 11:32 PM.

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

1st game in person was December 10 1988 --- watched Gonzaga beat Eastern in a close game.

First watched the Zags on tv in early part of the 2000's. I would come in from games and watch Gonzaga play while I tried to relax. First game in person was the Gonzaga-North Carolina game in the Southern Regional in Memphis.

First time I remember watching the zags on tv was sometime in the mid to late 90's. Haven't a clue what/where/who of the game, but I remember being in 8th grade or so, and I was channel surfing at like midnight. I liked basketball, so I stopped on the game. I remember thinking a couple of things. First, I noticed a really good pass or two that they made (I loved passing. I've always been a PG kind-of-guy!). Second, I remember thinking to myself that the name 'looked kind of like Godzilla'. Lol. Weird, I know. I only watched for 10-15 minutes.

First game I ever saw in person was Feb 21, 2004. Gonzaga @ Tulsa. Drove straight there from Missouri. Stayed after the game and chatted with Turiaf and Stepp, amongst a couple others. I literally talked to Turiaf for 10 minutes. I was STRUCK by his smile, and the fact that he seemed genuinely interested to talk to me. It also surprised me that he started asking ME questions. I honestly think he asked me more questions (about where I was from, how/why I was a fan, etc etc) than I asked him!! HOOKED EVER SINCE!!
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Testing the ol' memory here, yet out of curiousity...

1.) When & where was the first time you watched the Zags play? Essentially, the first game you can recall watching/seeing them.

2.) Also, when & where was the first time you watched Zags play in person [live]?

I assume most of us saw Zags play on TV before seeing them live, yet also wondering when you first saw them in person? Maybe at the K1, K2, a preseason tournament, road game, Vegas, NCAA Tourney, etc.

If you're able to recall these moments, venues, opponents, etc, please share.
    In the 80's a bunch of times! The first time I watched the Zags in person with coach Few on the bench would have been 2/27/00 at war memorial in San Francisco.

My first Zag game live was also my first zag game I saw on TV. What? No, not DVR but old school tape delay on what used to be Chsnnel 7, KSPS. It was about 1975 and the Zags were playing Idaho. The top Dog was Jim Grady who I believe was 2nd team All Big Sky the season before. My parents had season tickets in what would now be very expensive seats but back then were close to free. We kids had GA tickets and were free to roam Kennedy Pavilion. My brother and I started on the baseline by the water fountain and inched our way towards the basket to the point we were able to see ourselves on TV on the tape delay. No one asked us for autographs because I doubt there were more than 200 who would watch something like that back then. I probably went to close to 100 Zag games before they ever made the tournie and maybe 20 since then. Good times back at Kennedy roaming around and watching very little basketball.

First game I ever watched was the WCC Championship game in 1999. Zags vs Santa Clara. It was the 2nd half, I was randomly flipping through channels late at night, & caught this oddly named team playing hoops late at night. I watched Matt, Richie, et al rain 3's on the Broncos. The game, players, and the announcners were having too much fun, and so did I. Some of the shots were 5 feet beyond the 3pt line....I was instantely hooked. The team and players were magnetic and you could sense their chemistry. Stayed up watching til the final buzzer,

I followed them in the Tourney that year...all the way through the magical, Cinderella run to Elite 8.

I was a Sophomore in HS at the time, and in the hunt colleges to attend.

After that March run, they became my team, and followed them as much as I could the next season. However, TV wasn't really much of an option that next year. I recall them playing and beating a ranked UCLA team but that was about it.

It wasn't until the next Spring, WCC Final vs Pepperdine I watched them again.

After advancing to the Sweet 16 for a 2nd year in a row, I scheduled a visit to campus.

The rest is history...

I enrolled as a Gonzaga Freshman, Fall 2001, along with Ronny Turiaf and Brian Michaelson.

My first game in person was vs Montana, November of '01, in the original Kennel.

Missed ONE game in 4 yrs as a student, and sat 1st row in nearly every game after my freshman year. Many perks of being a loud fan, active KC board member, and hosting many pre and post game festivities.

If I wouldn't have randomly tuned in to that WCC game, not sure I would have ever became a student.

I am one of those Alumnis who attended GU because of the bball team. I am not Catholic, reside several States away from Washington, and had scholarship offers to other schools, but once I became a Zag fan, I was a Zag fan for life.
    Awesome.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    Brian Kellerman, Kenny Owens, Phil Hopson, Kelvin Smith and Gordie Herbert. All starters played more than 30 minutes a game. Very thin bench. Best play was the "wheel" play, which set up a lob to either Kellerman or Hopson. Don Monson was the coach.
    IIRC there was a point in that season where Idaho was ranked as high as 6th?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    . I literally talked to Turiaf for 10 minutes. I was STRUCK by his smile, and the fact that he seemed genuinely interested to talk to me. It also surprised me that he started asking ME questions. I honestly think he asked me more questions (about where I was from, how/why I was a fan, etc etc) than I asked him!! HOOKED EVER SINCE!!
    And a long time from now, when you go to heaven, I am pretty sure Turiaf will have a job greeting people at the door, big smile, asking where they're from, swapping stories, and telling them things are going to be better than alright.
    Mark Twain.

The first game I saw live, Casey Calvary walked past me down the isle and sat about three rows in front of me (at the Kennel). I was awe struck. The Kennel Club was quite an unexpected display. You just don't get the true feel for it until you witness it. Don't know the year, but it was in the new place. I got a couple of tickets from a local friend and was surprized to see the names of him and his wife embossed in the seats. Forgot who they were playing. I have seen a few games in the Kennel. It seems that almost every one was against St. Mary's.

I saw them play against Calapari's Memphis squad in the Spokane Arena. I recall people behind me voicing their dismay when Few inserted a "gimpy Mallon" instead of someone healthier.

I saw the Zags play a couple of times in the "Battle in Seattle". Olynyk was impressive against Kansas State. I believe I saw them play Tennessee in Seattle as well (barely recall that one). I saw them play against WSU in Pullman (They lost in an upset).

I think I went to the "Kraziness in the Kennel" scrimmage about four or five years in a row. I have a few of the schedule posters they handed out. I believe the earliest one had Meech, Gray, and Sacre on it.

I have only witnessed them lose twice. Once against St Marys (Wiltjer and Sabonis if I recall correctly) and the horrid outing at WSU. Oooh….forgot that they lost to Memphis as well. I think Morrison played in that one.

A guy I work with saw them play the title game in Phoenix. Wish he would have told me he was going.
    I miss Mike Hart

My memory is terrible but the first time I saw them was 1994 if I remember right. Watched them live for the first time in Portland in 2000 or 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    And a long time from now, when you go to heaven, I am pretty sure Turiaf will have a job greeting people at the door, big smile, asking where they're from, swapping stories, and telling them things are going to be better than alright.
    Ain't that the truth?! He was made for that job.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

First time I saw the Zags play was also the first time I have seen them in person. Don't remember the game specifically but it would have been 1989 as a freshman who didn't even know about Gonzaga Basketball. Must have gone with hall mates from Robinson Hall. I do remember going to see Gary Payton that year when GU played OSU but I don't recall if that was my first game. Crazy to think about any of the games being on TV at that time compared to now. We are spoiled

Red face Burgess

Quote Originally Posted by zagporvida View Post
    First time I saw the Zags play was also the first time I have seen them in person. Don't remember the game specifically but it would have been 1989 as a freshman who didn't even know about Gonzaga Basketball. Must have gone with hall mates from Robinson Hall. I do remember going to see Gary Payton that year when GU played OSU but I don't recall if that was my first game. Crazy to think about any of the games being on TV at that time compared to now. We are spoiled
    First game November 1958 against ??? but Frank Burgess' debut .