Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Zags Lineup

Watson's highest national ranking I found was 40th on 247, w/ a composite of 47. From what I've seen, top 50 seems right, and that's pretty good. His iq and team play make him more valuable to a college team than a lot of top 50 guys, but my guess is that he's a 2-3 year guy, probably 3 to be a first rounder.

I don't see more than a sliver of a chance that he's one and done.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Watson's highest national ranking I found was 40th on 247, w/ a composite of 47. From what I've seen, top 50 seems right, and that's pretty good. His iq and team play make him more valuable to a college team than a lot of top 50 guys, but my guess is that he's a 2-3 year guy, probably 3 to be a first rounder.

I don't see more than a sliver of a chance that he's one and done.
    Ja Morant just went from unranked entering college to #2 overall after 1 season. Rankings aren't the be all end all.

He's got good athleticism, a great build, well rounded skillset and the versatality teams are looking for. If everything lines just right he could easily be a 1 and done. Much more than a slivers' chance.

My money is we'll get to see multiple years of AW but any outcome (1- full 4 years) wouldn't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    Ja Morant just went from unranked entering college to #2 overall after 1 season. Rankings aren't the be all end all.

He's got good athleticism, a great build, well rounded skillset and the versatality teams are looking for. If everything lines just right he could easily be a 1 and done. Much more than a slivers' chance.

My money is we'll get to see multiple years of AW but any outcome (1- full 4 years) wouldn't surprise me.
    Morant played 2 years.

True about rankings; Adam was 200ish and played like an AA as a senior. I thought he belonged in the McDonalds game.

I used the rankings to justify my opinion that he'll be probably be around for a while. The game I saw in the tourney, v Fed Way, he didn't dominate like you'd expect a 1 and done to do. I just think some people are expecting a bit too much from him out of the gate.

Morant played 2 years.

True about rankings; Adam was 200ish and played like an AA as a senior. I thought he belonged in the McDonalds game.

I used the rankings to justify my opinion that he'll be probably be around for a while. The game I saw in the tourney, v Fed Way, he didn't dominate like you'd expect a 1 and done to do. I just think some people are expecting a bit too much from him out of the gate.
    And Morant made HUGE improvements between Year 1 & Year 2.

Namely, strength, shooting, & refining his PG skills.

He flashed his talent his 1st year and became a more well rounded player 2nd year.

The different between late 2nd Round flyer (Year 1), to the #2 overall pick.

Made a big difference.

Morant played 2 years.
    Yeah you're right. For some reason I thought he was 1 and done.

But Jaxson Hayes just went from being outside the top 100 recruit to a top-10 pick. It's not unheard of.

I don't think Watson is likely to be a one and done but I think it's a reasonable possibility. He has the physical makeup and all it takes one strong enough season to make it happen.

If Watson plays the three for any significant amount of minutes, he'll be the biggest three Mark Few has ever used.

I think Morrison is the biggest three-man during Few's tenure. If we were to see a bigger three it might have happened in 2009 when Micah Downs and Austin Daye (I think combined they were barely Karnowski's weight, but both were long) would have seen minutes. But then Sacre's injury early in the season prevented that from really happening. 2013 was a candidate too, but instead of playing Harris there, who could defend on the perimeter and shot well enough from three to be a threat, the coaches tried Barham, Guy Landri-Edi, Mike Hart and finally landed on Gary Bell a PG/SG type.

This may be the year we go big, but it hasn't happened in the first nineteen years, so I'm going to take a bit of a wait and see attitude towards it.

So much talent with this team, it’s impossible to predict who gets the lions share. Few will have to sort it out. One thing we can be sure of is that we have FF talent. Ballo has enough to take over a game. Many others could too. Positions 1-3 are puzzling. In a good way

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    So much talent with this team, it’s impossible to predict who gets the lions share. Few will have to sort it out. One thing we can be sure of is that we have FF talent. Ballo has enough to take over a game. Many others could too. Positions 1-3 are puzzling. In a good way
    I still don’t think the ‘19/‘20 roster is final. I think another piece/cog may materialize.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I still don’t think the ‘19/‘20 roster is final. I think another piece/cog may materialize.
    Well that's an intriguing hint...
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I hope this doesn't mean another grad transfer...

Huh, didn’t realize we do have one open scholarship left.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    I hope this doesn't mean another grad transfer...
    What else could it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Huh, didn’t realize we do have one open scholarship left.
    Assuming Larson is gone, we have one.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    What else could it mean?
    Euro!
    Go Zags!!!

I reviewed a tap of the All-Star game between Washington and Oregon yesterday and observed how Ravet may play at Gonzaga. I've said this a couple times before that Ravet is an excellent passer and outside shooter. And that's pretty much how he played in the All-Star game. HE hit 4 three pointers and was mostly passing the ball to open shooters. This is where I feel he may have it over Woolridge. Woolridge is not known to be a good outside shooter. Very good outside shooting by Perkins is going to be something that will be missed, and something that Coach Few may want as a weapon next season. If he does, Ravet would be the guy that could provide that kind of shooting.

Woolridge, on the other hand, is a very good passer also and it's said he's a very good defensive player. He also has real good size for a guard at 6' 3". He also has really good speed. In some ways these descriptions of Woolridge remind me of Goodson who was a really fast guard but could not shoot from the outside. Because of this they players who guarded him were instructed to play off of Goodson and be in a help position to double up on post players. When I think of all of the Gonzaga point guards most of them were very good 3 point shooters.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Fun to see the kids working out together.

Tillie leading the way..

Along with Watson, Gilder, Timme, Arklauskas, Petrusev, & Ravet.

https://twitter.com/ZagMBB/status/11...624468993?s=19

It's good to see that there are GU players who are on campus working out together. There hasn't been very much reporting outside of this one, about the guys working out together. I'm also wondering if anyone who posts here has seen the Zags playing ball together? There are usually reports here about some of those games.

Default Anton Watson

Even though I live in Texas, I got on the Gonzaga train back when they made their first elite 8 run and have been a rabid fan ever since. This is the first time on the forum.
    I agree with Vulture's assessment and starting five. However, having watched all the state Washington High School playoffs, I think Watson has some definite weaknesses that will need to be addressed. Talent wise he definitely has all the offensive tools but I was a little shocked at the lack of defensive intensity he showed when his team played Federal Way. If it had not been for the rest of his team, especially Liam Lloyd, they never would have advanced to the state championship game. He seemed way too laid back on defense, especially giving the player he was guarding a huge amount of space and not even raising his arms that much. I think Brock Ravet will have some challenges but I think he definitely brings something to the table and I think he will be a starter before he graduates.

Where in Texas? My son lives in Austin and is a big big big Zag fan. Yes Im a big Zag fan too. Law '75.

Quote Originally Posted by CPkZagFan View Post
    Even though I live in Texas, I got on the Gonzaga train back when they made their first elite 8 run and have been a rabid fan ever since. This is the first time on the forum.
    I agree with Vulture's assessment and starting five. However, having watched all the state Washington High School playoffs, I think Watson has some definite weaknesses that will need to be addressed. Talent wise he definitely has all the offensive tools but I was a little shocked at the lack of defensive intensity he showed when his team played Federal Way. If it had not been for the rest of his team, especially Liam Lloyd, they never would have advanced to the state championship game. He seemed way too laid back on defense, especially giving the player he was guarding a huge amount of space and not even raising his arms that much. I think Brock Ravet will have some challenges but I think he definitely brings something to the table and I think he will be a starter before he graduates.
    Congrats, CPKZagFan. It's really great to see someone bran new here on GUBoards. Your post is well written and it shows that you put some good thinking into it. A darn good post for your first attempt at it. I look forward to seeing many more. Have fun here, and don't be shy. We need all the help we can get here, especially from people who seem to know a little about basketball. I'll keep an eye open for your posts. I have never seen Watson play, but I've seen Brock many times beginning when he was probably a 7th grader. He's just a year younger then one of my grandkids who played against Brock when they were in Middle School AAU ball. I've also watch Ravet a few times when he was in high school. If you have followed this forum for awhile you must know how much I like Brock Ravet. My son did see Watson play and felt he would be a very good D-1 player. That's all it took for me to become a Watson fan. My son has great knowledge and insight into what makes an athlete great. Those of us who rave about the Washington athletes (fans like me) who play for Gonzaga are really blessed right now. These two new guys plus Kispert are going to be soooo much fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Congrats, CPKZagFan. It's really great to see someone bran new here on GUBoards. Your post is well written and it shows that you put some good thinking into it. A darn good post for your first attempt at it. I look forward to seeing many more. Have fun here, and don't be shy. We need all the help we can get here, especially from people who seem to know a little about basketball. I'll keep an eye open for your posts. I have never seen Watson play, but I've seen Brock many times beginning when he was probably a 7th grader. He's just a year younger then one of my grandkids who played against Brock when they were in Middle School AAU ball. I've also watch Ravet a few times when he was in high school. If you have followed this forum for awhile you must know how much I like Brock Ravet. My son did see Watson play and felt he would be a very good D-1 player. That's all it took for me to become a Watson fan. My son has great knowledge and insight into what makes an athlete great. Those of us who rave about the Washington athletes (fans like me) who play for Gonzaga are really blessed right now. These two new guys plus Kispert are going to be soooo much fun to watch.

+1 Welcome CP
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    Euro!
    I can think of some guys that Tommy has gotten to the US that weren’t exactly “Euro’s”. Rui Hachimura and Greivis Vazquez come to mind. And J.P. Batista worked out okay.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I can think of some guys that Tommy has gotten to the US that weren’t exactly “Euro’s”. Rui Hachimura and Greivis Vazquez come to mind. And J.P. Batista worked out okay.
    International!
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

How soon do you think we will know who this guy is?
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    How soon do you think we will know who this guy is?
    Nothing is ever in the bag until it is in the bag. We learned about Ronny coming in the 4th week of August.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ