Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Zags Lineup

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Fun to see the kids working out together.

Tillie leading the way..

Along with Watson, Gilder, Timme, Arklauskas, Petrusev, & Ravet.

https://twitter.com/ZagMBB/status/11...624468993?s=19
    Tillie leading ankle strengthening workout.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by CPkZagFan View Post
    Even though I live in Texas, I got on the Gonzaga train back when they made their first elite 8 run and have been a rabid fan ever since. This is the first time on the forum.
    I agree with Vulture's assessment and starting five. However, having watched all the state Washington High School playoffs, I think Watson has some definite weaknesses that will need to be addressed. Talent wise he definitely has all the offensive tools but I was a little shocked at the lack of defensive intensity he showed when his team played Federal Way. If it had not been for the rest of his team, especially Liam Lloyd, they never would have advanced to the state championship game. He seemed way too laid back on defense, especially giving the player he was guarding a huge amount of space and not even raising his arms that much. I think Brock Ravet will have some challenges but I think he definitely brings something to the table and I think he will be a starter before he graduates.
    Federal way had two agile bigs. Prep had Anton who was getting in foul trouble while Federal Way’s bigs were grabbing his jersey,etc and not getting called. Coach McIntyre’s risk was to sit Anton for quite a few minutes in the second half and let Federal Way’s bigs foul out. When Federal Way was in deep foul trouble, Anton was subbed in and cleaned up. The coach saw early in the game that the fouls weren’t being called evenly. He didn’t want Anton to have to defend if he was just going to get called. Liam Lloyd went along way to get Federal Way in trouble so that when Anton came back in there was no one left to defend against his offense. There was a picture of Anton going up for a basket with Jaden McDaniel’s fingers tugging on his jersey.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Federal way had two agile bigs. Prep had Anton who was getting in foul trouble while Federal Way’s bigs were grabbing his jersey,etc and not getting called. Coach McIntyre’s risk was to sit Anton for quite a few minutes in the second half and let Federal Way’s bigs foul out. When Federal Way was in deep foul trouble, Anton was subbed in and cleaned up. The coach saw early in the game that the fouls weren’t being called evenly. He didn’t want Anton to have to defend if he was just going to get called. Liam Lloyd went along way to get Federal Way in trouble so that when Anton came back in there was no one left to defend against his offense. There was a picture of Anton going up for a basket with Jaden McDaniel’s fingers tugging on his jersey.
    Lloyd scored 14 of his 19 in the first quarter, if memory serves, on four 3ptrs. I don't think he had much of anything to do w/ Fed Way's bigs fouling out; each had a dumb tickytack foul or two in the second half, and the refs certainly didn't swallow their whistles on those. Not like LLoyd was taking it to the hoop on them. I was there and saw no significant disparity in the officiating; it was the Fed Way guys who fouled out, not Prep's, allowing Anton to take over in the last 4 minutes. McDaniels missed most of the 2nd qtr w/ foul trouble as well. During that stretch Eason was scoring on Watson, and Watson wasn't scoring on Eason.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Lloyd scored 14 of his 19 in the first quarter, if memory serves, on four 3ptrs. I don't think he had much of anything to do w/ Fed Way's bigs fouling out; each had a dumb tickytack foul or two in the second half, and the refs certainly didn't swallow their whistles on those. Not like LLoyd was taking it to the hoop on them. I was there and saw no significant disparity in the officiating; it was the Fed Way guys who fouled out, not Prep's, allowing Anton to take over in the last 4 minutes. McDaniels missed most of the 2nd qtr w/ foul trouble as well. During that stretch Eason was scoring on Watson, and Watson wasn't scoring on Eason.
    I watched the game on tv four times.
    Last edited by Mantua; 07-21-2019 at 03:27 AM.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Hmmmm .... when thinking about 19-20 starters I end up wondering about 3 Zags and how much they may improve over past play as a Zag: Kispert, Tillie and Petrusev. These 3, like many a Zag before them, are quite likely to really shine brighter this coming season. Ayayi too for that matter. It would not surprise me if Ayayi was in the early season starting lineup (along with K, T and P). I will have to see the transfers play as a Zag in KITK before I place them in a starting lineup. At this point if, I do include A as a starter with KTP I’d venture that the 5th starter could be Watson or Ravet (and I’m not ruling out Timme either).
    Lots of unknowns in store for what the flavor of the 19-20 Zag team will be. Perkins was a well known quantity. The PG situation now is the opposite of that. 19-20 is going to be interesting.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

https://twitter.com/mikegrib8/status...22651414409216

Interesting take. If Fiba plays is any indication I think Joel may have a shot at starting.

I don't see woolridge averaging more than 20 minutes a game. He is a zero on offense but may be our best point guard defender ever. Admon will be the center of our team and our best guard since NWG. I don't we can count on Tillie to play consistent minutes because of his injury history. People who think Petrusev will lose minutes are insane. He will be in the league next summer. While I don't think Ballo is actually 16, he will be an animal in D1 and the only things that will hold him back are foul trouble and learning the system.

While I don't think Ballo is actually 16, he will be an animal in D1 and the only things that will hold him back are foul trouble and learning the system.[/QUOTE]

He's actually 17 now

If Ballo is actually 17, then Thon Maker is actually 22.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags1993 View Post
    https://twitter.com/mikegrib8/status...22651414409216

Interesting take. If Fiba plays is any indication I think Joel may have a shot at starting.
    Very encouraging report. We need him!
    Go Zags!!!

Ayayi certainly looked like a guy who was in control and that the game had slowed down for him. This would be fantastic news if he is ready for some playing time, because the team could certainly use him. Ayayi has the tools to be a great defender with his quickness and length. The Zags' perimeter defense has potential to be elite this year if Woolridge is as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Lots of unknowns in store for what the flavor of the 19-20 Zag team will be. Perkins was a well known quantity. The PG situation now is the opposite of that. 19-20 is going to be interesting.
    This really is the case when thinking about next season, "lots of unknowns." However, imo what is known is that Gonzaga has never seen this many new players with this much talent. And at the same time, I don't think Gonzaga has ever lost 4 starters after a season was over. So there is going to be a lot of opportunity for these new players to see playing time. Practices this coming Fall will be immensely intense.

The fact that sticks out the most to me is that the Zags only have one returning starter, Corey Kispert. As we all know, Killian Tillie has played a lot over the years, but he has never been a starter or a player who has played a lot of minutes. He has been held back because of injuries. The question regarding Killian is "can he play 30 minutes a game?" The best news regarding this question is the fact that if he can't then the Zags will be able to defer his minutes to players who will be inexperienced but very talented. I'm talking about Watson, Timme, Ballo and Zhakarov. All four of these players are very talented, and all four are 4 Star players. That's a lot of talent.

I think the same thing can be said about Petrusev. He's an experienced player at Gonzaga, but has not been a steady contributor over the entire season. Questions arose about him that I'm not positive have been answered. It could have been about his toughness and rebounding and defense. If he hasn't made positive strides to overcome those problems than, once again, we have some very tough players just waiting to get playing time. The Zags will have 6 post players who are talented and are going to be going all out to get playing time. Gonzaga has NEVER been THIS DEEEP in the posts.

I think another really good question is, "what is going to separate these 4 very talented post players (Timme, Watson, Zhakarov and Ballo)? The answer, as I see it, has to be toughness shown on defensive skills, rebounding and being able to play team defense. They have all shown a desire to play defense. Zhakarov says he enjoys playing defense more than offense. Timme is described as a hard working player. It's reported that Watson can defend all five positions. And finally, Ballo is just seen as a monster rebounder and shot blocker. I'm not sure how this is going to be sorted out. It seems to be the opinion of fans here on GUBoards that one way to begin to solve it is to have Watson play the 3. If he can defend at that position this will certain begin to solve the problem of getting playing time for these Bigs.

I believe most of us fans feel pretty positive about the post players and what they will contribute to the team next season. However, there remains a pretty big question mark about the guards, and it could certainly be a problem for the team. I don't think we have ever Not had an experienced point guard leading the Zags. I would say the back-up point guard last year was Zach Norvell, and he will not be on the team next year. Joel Ayayi did play some, but he certainly was not what I'd call the back-up point guard. There has been much better thoughts about him so far, and his play in the FIBA Tournament does suggest that he may have matured and is ready for more playing and a more significant role on next season's team.

I think it's the general consensus that Gilder is going to be a very good player and will take the place of Norvell. And that is really big news. If Ayayi can not show that he can handle the back-up role at the 2, then I feel that either Watson or perhaps Kispert will come in to play that role.

This leaves perhaps the biggest question on the team, and perhaps the most important, "who is going to run this team?" It appears it will be Woolridge and Ravet. Neither of them have experience running Mark Few's offense, and that concerns me. Woolridge does have experience running an offense at the D1 level, and he's a senior, but unfortunately he has not run offenses against Elite College basketball teams like UNC, Michigan St, Oregon, Seton Hall and University of Washington. Ravet has no D1 experience at all, but absolutely does show he has very good offensive skills and can really shoot the 3 ball. He has loads of confidence so it will be neat watching this all unfold. I wonder if Watson can play the point? Or Gilder? Can Ayayi? These are all good questions.

It will be absolutely exciting to see how all of this plays out. Most likely we won't know who the top 8 players will be until our conference games start in late December. The early part of the season will be a time we'll probably see ten players get playing time. How they play during actual live game time will determine what their roles will be when conference games begin.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I have seen very little of the new bigs….but hopefully if Watson has a chance to scrimmage with Sabonis and Clarke and Williams and Calvary among others..... he will see the need to play with a lot more intensity...…. especially on defense....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I have seen very little of the new bigs….but hopefully if Watson has a chance to scrimmage with Sabonis and Clarke and Williams and Calvary among others..... he will see the need to play with a lot more intensity...…. especially on defense....
    I’ll say this about Watson and Ravet, both who I’ve seen in person multiple times. Star players on teams who don’t have another star on the team usually win by their scoring, period. I’ve never had a talent like that on a team I’ve coached but I’ve had to face them and the game plan is always the same, go right at them, make them work and hopefully get them in foul trouble. This is not always successful but you have little choice. Anton and Brock will for the first time not be the focus of the other teams game plan and they will thrive, especially Anton. With some DI conditioning and guys like Tillie and timme playing around him Anton will dominate. Brock will surprise many on this board as well. 2 keys for this season are guard health and defensive cohesion. We might have one of the best defensive teams in zag history this year. Coaches have their work cut out for them though.

As we all know, Killian Tillie has played a lot over the years, but he has never been a starter or a player who has played a lot of minutes. He has been held back because of injuries. The question regarding Killian is "can he play 30 minutes a game?"

Go Zags!!![/QUOTE]

Tillie did start 35 games his soph year. I know last year was almost a total loss, but I think the year before is a little overblown because he missed the elite 8 game and was sorely missed. I think this year he comes back strong, a lot of draft sites still think hes a 1st round pick next year. I don't think he will need to play more than 26-27 minutes with the depth at forward.

I would be happy with twenty minutes. I can see tandem rotation like three years ago where Few would swap center and forward pairs together.

Default My son lives in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by sheps001 View Post
    Where in Texas? My son lives in Austin and is a big big big Zag fan. Yes Im a big Zag fan too. Law '75.

I live directly north of Austin in Cedar Park.

[QUOTE=EEzag;1471861] We might have one of the best defensive teams in zag history this year.

- I agree that the defense, while an unknown (as is everything) is what has me excited.
    - at guard we have ayayi's quickness and length, gilder and woolridge both come to us with top notch reports and stats showing they can shutdown their opposing opponent.
    - at the wing, we have seen kispert improving, and Watson I think is going to learn (already has received the message) that defense is what coach is going to value out of him. I think he will rise to the challenge.
    - the bigs, petrusev has shown defense to be a weakness at times, but hey he can only improve right? Tillie we know is a good defender, and ballo is young, but with that 7'6" reach he is going to block his fair share of shots. I've not seen timmie play or film, but everyone on this board speaks to a sabonis type motor, and now I read that zahakarov likes to play defense more than offense.

- I too think we have the potential makings of a superior defensive squad this coming year.

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    We might have one of the best defensive teams in zag history this year. Coaches have their work cut out for them though.

That seems absurdly optimistic.

Kispert is a below-average defender at the 3, and will almost certainly start. His backups are freshmen.
    Petrusev is a below-average defender at the 5 and will almost certainly start.
    Ravet will be among the top4 guys (by minutes) at the guard spot, and is already below average for defending against small high schools.

Those facts alone will prevent GU from having close to our best defense ever.

Then add in the fact that we lost Clarke (realistic DPOY), we are going into the first season in 6 years without an impact RS player who has been practicing/defending/learning with the team for a year, and we'll be relying on more true freshmen and 1-yr transfers than any time in the last decade, and defense in college BBall is a team strategy/philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    That seems absurdly optimistic.

Kispert is a below-average defender at the 3, and will almost certainly start. His backups are freshmen.
    Petrusev is a below-average defender at the 5 and will almost certainly start.
    Ravet will be among the top4 guys (by minutes) at the guard spot, and is already below average for defending against small high schools.

Those facts alone will prevent GU from having close to our best defense ever.

Then add in the fact that we lost Clarke (realistic DPOY), we are going into the first season in 6 years without an impact RS player who has been practicing/defending/learning with the team for a year, and we'll be relying on more true freshmen and 1-yr transfers than any time in the last decade, and defense in college BBall is a team strategy/philosophy.
    Fair enough. You also could mention we lost Rui's athleticism. However, GU hasn't had a lot of elite defensive teams throughout it's storied albeit somewhat recent history. I'm basing more on the transfer guards coming in. They are both elite on-ball defenders, which can hide many ills. Watson and Timme are both above average athletes and we know Tillie can play D. Sure there are holes and this isn't 2016-2017, but as far as GU defense goes, this one could rank up there pretty high. Optimistic.....sure........absurdly.......I don't see it that way.

One thing that will help Mark Few and his assistants create another very good defensive team is going to be the level of competition at every position this year. Because the players are pretty even I think on offense, what is going to separate them is their desire to play D. Yes. Good defense comes from PURE DESIRE to play it. Yes! They need to be tough, but I think most players who play in D1 are tough. They need to come to every practice and every game with the mind set of playing tough defense and to work really hard at it.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Fair enough. You also could mention we lost Rui's athleticism.

I could have, but chose not to since (despite his athleticism) I don't think Rui's functional defense was anything to write home about. (some special blocks, but he was learning and had missed assignments and late closeouts and boxouts.)
    Last edited by LTownZag; 07-22-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Does anyone know how BYU is going to handle its scholarship problem? I count that they currently have 16 scholarship players. Are they expecting 3 players to go on mission trips this year?

[QUOTE=GonzaGAW;1471896]
    We might have one of the best defensive teams in zag history this year.

- I agree that the defense, while an unknown (as is everything) is what has me excited.
    - at guard we have ayayi's quickness and length, gilder and woolridge both come to us with top notch reports and stats showing they can shutdown their opposing opponent.
    - at the wing, we have seen kispert improving, and Watson I think is going to learn (already has received the message) that defense is what coach is going to value out of him. I think he will rise to the challenge.
    - the bigs, petrusev has shown defense to be a weakness at times, but hey he can only improve right? Tillie we know is a good defender, and ballo is young, but with that 7'6" reach he is going to block his fair share of shots. I've not seen timmie play or film, but everyone on this board speaks to a sabonis type motor, and now I read that zahakarov likes to play defense more than offense.

- I too think we have the potential makings of a superior defensive squad this coming year.
    Team Defence is just that TEAM DEFENCE and everyone on the TEAM doesn't have to be elite defenders, they just need to understand the defensive concept put forth by the coaching staff. To be effective, everyone must buy into the system or the system won't work. I believe this team has the potential to be excellent defensively but time will tell.

The freshman will determine the level of success the Zags have this season and those than adjust to D1 defence, will be difference makers early this season.

Someone mentioned CK's defence is lacking; however, he has improved in each of his first two years and I believe he will again and Joel is going to be hell on wheels on defence and just hope that his confidence on the offensive side improves.

With regards to Tillie, I have but one concern and that is which Tillie will show up in each game. He has had extreme difficulty adjusting defensively, which limited his floor time in the games he played this past season. He could be a dominant player life he was in the WCC Tournament two years ago but he has not shown any consistency since, yes it could be his injuries last year that interfered with his game tempo.

I think that after 8-12 games, Ballo will be an impactful player coming off the bench and if Filip doesn't step-up, then Ballo might just start as the season progresses.

We all hope that Filip and Tillie play UP to their potential this season.

I think this team has the potential to have another 30 win season but all the pieces have to fall into place for that to happen...it will be interesting to watch this team develop and improve as a TEAM...so many new pieces but it could be a "plug & play" season.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Does anyone know how BYU is going to handle its scholarship problem? I count that they currently have 16 scholarship players. Are they expecting 3 players to go on mission trips this year?
    Emery just "retired"