Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Zags Lineup

Default 2019-20 Zags Lineup

Now that we have a pretty good idea of the roster, what say y'all as far as the lineup goes. For me, I think it's pretty clear with several freshmen in rotation.

Starting Lineup:
    PG - Woolridge
    SG - Gilder
    W - Kispert
    PF - Tillie
    C - Petrusev

Primary Rotation Players: Timme, Watson, Ravet
    Secondary Rotation Players: Zhakarov, Ayayi, Ballo (don't think he will RS)
    Redshirt: Arlauskas (missed a lot of time to injury last year)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Now that we have a pretty good idea of the roster, what say y'all as far as the lineup goes. For me, I think it's pretty clear with several freshmen in rotation.

Starting Lineup:
    PG - Woolridge
    SG - Gilder
    W - Kispert
    PF - Tillie
    C - Petrusev

That's a thin guard primary rotation

Edit: after a little more thought, no more different than this year....so....CHEERS
    Last edited by Zagsker; 06-24-2019 at 06:15 PM.
    I am working on being a more all around square.

I still think Drew Timme starts right away; he's a man amongst boys.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I still think Drew Timme starts right away; he's a man amongst boys.
    I don’t see it with Tillie and Petrusev back. With that said, I think it’s going to all three rotating thru the 4/5 spots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t see it with Tillie and Petrusev back. With that said, I think it’s going to all three rotating thru the 4/5 spots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Will Petrusev be ready to start by then? Not sure. The only sure thing starter is Tiilie. I could see Kispert as closer to a lock than not as well. One if either Gilded or Woolridge will most likely start as well. I think the starting lineup could change 3-4 times to start out the year.

Shallow roster....not much wiggle room for debate here.....both newcomer guards are damaged goods; wary........and the kids are untested. Combo of excitement and unease with all the unknown factors.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Shallow roster....not much wiggle room for debate here.....both newcomer guards are damaged goods; wary........and the kids are untested. Combo of excitement and unease with all the unknown factors.
    A lot of unknowns unlike recent years...….if Tillie can play to his potential without injury they will win some games ….if not ???

Starting Lineup:
    PG - Woolridge
    SG - Gilder
    W - Kispert
    PF - Tillie
    C - Petrusev

I'd agree with that lineup. I think Ayayi will get double digit minutes this year though. Him, Timme, Watson, and Ravet as the primary bench. Others getting spot minutes or redshirting.

Starting Lineup:
    PG - Woolridge
    SG - Gilder
    W - Kispert
    PF - Tillie
    C - Petrusev

That starting group feels almost certain. The only question, to me, is whether Timme or Watson leapfrog Petrusev.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    That starting group feels almost certain. The only question, to me, is whether Timme or Watson leapfrog Petrusev.
    My gut keeps telling me Timme will beat out Petrusev for the starting spot. But we shall see.

I also think Ayayi will be ahead of Ravet on the depthchart.

I understand the thinking about Petrusev and Tillie both starting because they appear to have the same kind of game to me. I think we will need a tough inside player to go with them. That would not be Watson in my opinion. Timme really could start, and I think there's another big low post European player. I am still hangin with Ravet as a starter.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

That lineup is borderline good enough to make the NCAA's. Sorry. Some of the younger players will have to step up for us to make it this year. Scary.

Quote Originally Posted by sheps001 View Post
    That lineup is borderline good enough to make the NCAA's. Sorry. Some of the younger players will have to step up for us to make it this year. Scary.
    Agree that making NCAA tourney this upcoming season is far from a given. Not only do Zags need to replace a lot of talent, the leadership void is immense. Methinks we will all appreciate Perkins a lot more than perhaps we did while he was here. Add to this the fact that three of the five guys we are counting on to be major contributors (Tillie, Gilder, Woolridge) are coming off injuries; this adds another layer of uncertainty.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Substitutions begin early in the game and are continuous throughout the game. Regardless of who starts, opponent match-ups will determine which players get the most run in any given game. Our roster has lots of experience and lots of young talent that should be ready to plug and play from the get go. This year, fresh players coming off the bench should guarantee that all players get plenty of bench rest each game so they should all be in great shape and well rested in the post season. I agree with Vulture that we are solid eight deep with four more players Few will be trying to get as many minutes and as much floor time/experience as possible. Another great year ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    Substitutions begin early in the game and are continuous throughout the game. Regardless of who starts, opponent match-ups will determine which players get the most run in any given game. Our roster has lots of experience and lots of young talent that should be ready to plug and play from the get go. This year, fresh players coming off the bench should guarantee that all players get plenty of bench rest each game so they should all be in great shape and well rested in the post season. I agree with Vulture that we are solid eight deep with four more players Few will be trying to get as many minutes and as much floor time/experience as possible. Another great year ahead.
    Along the lines of lots of substitutions and staying fresh, I think playing good hard defense is going to being more important this year than ever before. It seems like we already have that with gilder and woolridge. Now we just have to convince the 3-5 positions that good effort on defense equals playing time. This team isnt going to score nearly as much as past teams, so we have to keep the other teams scoring down.

Didn't realize about the injuries. Injuries are cumulative which adds to the uncertainty

I think Watson and Timme start from day 1.

Gilder
    Kispert
    Watson
    Tillie
    Timme

Ravet, Wooldridge, Petrusev first off the bench.
    Go Zags!!!

The 5-spot is Filips to lose...Coach Few isn't going to give Timme or other Frosh starting positions from the first day of practice...

I certainly believe that the two senior guard transfers will (if they are healthy and in shape) start with Brock and Joel getting meaningful minutes...

We have not even seen one minute of D1 ball played by Timme and yet he is by some, being crowned as the second coming...I've seen several of his games on line and he does have talent but an immediate starter, well just don't see it in the cards but that's not saying he couldn't start later in the season but not from day one...IMO

Wooldridge
    Gilder
    Kispert
    Tillie
    Petrusev

With Timme, Watson, Joel & Brock coming off the bench when the season begins - that is if there are no injuries...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    The 5-spot is Filips to lose...Coach Few isn't going to give Timme or other Frosh starting positions from the first day of practice...

I certainly believe that the two senior guard transfers will (if they are healthy and in shape) start with Brock and Joel getting meaningful minutes...

We have not even seen one minute of D1 ball played by Timme and yet he is by some, being crowned as the second coming...I've seen several of his games on line and he does have talent but an immediate starter, well just don't see it in the cards but that's not saying he couldn't start later in the season but not from day one...IMO

Wooldridge
    Gilder
    Kispert
    Tillie
    Petrusev

With Timme, Watson, Joel & Brock coming off the bench when the season begins - that is if there are no injuries...
    Assuming all are healthy, I agree w you 100% on this starting lineup Bogozags. The grad transfer guards are by all accounts athletic and can get to the rim and finish. They will fit well alongside proven 3 pt shooters Tillie, Kispert, Petrusev. Bigs who can shoot from 3 = driving lanes for guards who can attack off the bounce and finish at the rim.

What stands out for me about this team is the talent level 1-12. Assuming Timmie, Watson, Ayayi, Ravet earn meaningful roles and force Few to go 9 deep regularly, players 10-12 are Zhakarov, Arlauskas, Ballo. That’s some serious size and young talent for starters to scrimmage against. I’d say best overall depth of talent Zags have had. Makes for great competition in practice.

Who knows...the remaining scholarship just might get filled by an immediately eligible stud transfer set loose by NCAA if/when the other shoe ever drops from FBI investigation. Imagine that depth

Starting Lineup:
    PG - Woolridge
    SG - Gilder
    W - Kispert
    PF - Tillie
    C - Petrusev

PG:Woolridge....Ravet, Ayayi, Watson
    SG:Gilder....Ravet, Ayayi, Watson
    Wing:Kispert....Watson, Arlauskas
    PF:Tillie....Timme, Watson
    C:Petrusev....Zhakarov, Ballo, Watson

Watson did say in an interview that he could play 1-5 at GU.....but really I think he will see most of his time at the 3-4. If no one RS and all stay healthy that is some really good depth in the frontcourt...should allow them to play very hard Defense without the worry of fouls, it would also allow the guards to play up tighter knowing that the bigs have their backs without fearing the fouls...let's hope it all works out.

I do believe the starting line up, but could see splitting Tillie and Petrusev. But my logic would be one with Watson and one with Timme means more experience for the rest of the team. All four are going to play a lot. Also Woolridge and Gilder need to play with Ravet and Ayayi to merge their experience into the guards. Kispert seems to be a mainstay, but when he is out there could be three bigs or three guards depending on the team they are playing. Also I do not know very much about the other wings.

But we need to remember this is going to be a team in growing from first of the year to March madness.

I want to revisit this thread after watching the Zag players who played in the FIBA tournament.
    Ballo showed me that he's ready to play D-1 basketball. He will be a beast down low, a player who could be very difficult to handle. Ayayi also played very good and should have a roll to play this upcoming season. He has matured, and Melson is gone. In order to play during the last two years, Ayayi had to beat out Melson. I'm sure Ayayi is feeling much more confident about his playing time. He has been in the Zag system for two years now, and that will definitely matter.

It's common knowledge that the success of the '19-'20 season will depend on the guards. There are very big questions there. I think Admon Gilder will fill the leading role for the guards. He's 6'4" and weighs 200 lbs. That's a big body, and he should be able to fill the role of two-guard. He's a good outside shooter, and can score one on one. Gilder, I believe could also play the point.

Then we have the battle for the point-guard position. Most fans feel Woolridge will start, but I'm one who is not so sure about that. The battle between Woolridge and Ravet will go to the player who best handles the offense and is a good passer. Both players seem very good at that. The edge that Ravet has over Woolridge is his outside shooting. I'm afraid that defenders will play off Woolridge and force him to shoot from the outside. And they would be in position to help out on double teaming the post positions. Ravet is a very good outside shooter. Ayayi has a good chance to also compete for playing time at either of the guard positions.

Tillie
    Timme
    Kispert
    Gilder
    Ravet

Ballo, Petrusive, Watson, Woolridge, Ayayi

I feel more positive about the team after watching the young players play in the FIBA tournament this summer. I feel a LOT BETTER about Ballo. He will contribute in a way that I didn't think he could prior to FIBA. i ALSO feel better about Ayayi, who also played well in FIBA, AND IS MATURING as a basketball player. I've done more research on Gilder and feel really good about him. He will be a very good scorer. He can also be a guard who can post up other guards. This is something we haven't seen since we saw Matt Bouldin doing just that.
    Last edited by Reborn; 07-16-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I want to revisit this thread after watching the Zag players who played in the FIBA tournament.
    Ballo showed me that he's ready to play D-1 basketball. He will be a beast down low, a player who could be very difficult to handle. Ayayi also played very good and should have a roll to play this upcoming season. He has matured, and Melson is gone. In order to play during the last two years, Ayayi had to beat out Melson. I'm sure Ayayi is feeling much more confident about his playing time. He has been in the Zag system for two years now, and that will definitely matter.

It's common knowledge that the success of the '19-'20 season will depend on the guards. There are very big questions there. I think Admon Gilder will fill the leading role for the guards. He's 6'4" and weighs 200 lbs. That's a big body, and he should be able to fill the role of two-guard. He's a good outside shooter, and can score one on one. Gilder, I believe could also play the point.

Then we have the battle for the point-guard position. Most fans feel Woolridge will start, but I'm one who is not so sure about that. The battle between Woolridge and Ravet will go to the player who best handles the offense and is a good passer. Both players seem very good at that. The edge that Ravet has over Woolridge is his outside shooting. I'm afraid that defenders will play off Woolridge and force him to shoot from the outside. And they would be in position to help out on double teaming the post positions. Ravet is a very good outside shooter. Ayayi has a good chance to also compete for playing time at either of the guard positions.

Tillie
    Timme
    Kispert
    Gilder
    Ravet

I feel more positive about the team after watching the young players play in the FIBA tournament this summer. I feel a LOT BETTER about Ballo. He will contribute in a way that at didn't think he could prior to FIBA. i ALSO feel better about Ayayi, who also played well in FIBA, AND IS MATURING as a basketball player. I've done more research on Gilder and feel really good about him. He will be a very good scorer. He can also be a guard who can post up other guards. This is something we haven't seen since we saw Matt Bouldin doing just that.
    Quick question, when was the last time Gonzaga had a 10 man rotation? I guess it has happened before, I just can't remember when.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Quick question, when was the last time Gonzaga had a 10 man rotation? I guess it has happened before, I just can't remember when.
    In 2013 11 guys averaged 10+ mins & Barham got some run too. Obviously by the postseason the rotation got tightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post

Tillie
    Timme
    Kispert
    Gilder
    Ravet

I feel more positive about the team after watching the young players play in the FIBA tournament this summer. I feel a LOT BETTER about Ballo. He will contribute in a way that at didn't think he could prior to FIBA. i ALSO feel better about Ayayi, who also played well in FIBA, AND IS MATURING as a basketball player. I've done more research on Gilder and feel really good about him. He will be a very good scorer. He can also be a guard who can post up other guards. This is something we haven't seen since we saw Matt Bouldin doing just that.
    I like your prediction here for the most part Reborn though I do think Tillie and Timme are natural 4’s while Petrusev and Ballo are 5’s. My guess is Petrusev starts alongside Tillie w Ballo and Timme backing them up. Petrusev has to improve his hands and D or Ballo maybe taking his minutes.