Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Woolridge commits

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Regardless of who starts, Few had to get another PG on the roster. And they were more impressed with him than Derryck Thornton.
    Might help explain Thorton to BC.

Happy for the depth more than anything else. If he is solid on D... that is perfect.

Welcome Mr. Woolridge!
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Not a lot out there-- but it looks like he is moving in the right direction.

"Woolridge’s options in terms of where he will continue his career could be limited somewhat by a fractured kneecap that required surgery following the season. He is on course to return to action after healing over the last few weeks, a source close to Woolridge said."

https://dentonrc.com/sports/breaking...66331fa1e.html

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    What areas were iffy?

Size and build? Crandall is the same height, same weight, and looked to have a similar plus reach. Geno could play above the rim (recall the alley oop from JP?)
    Quickness? - Geno had the fastest hands and seems like the most "quick" or quick-twitch guy on the team (apart from Clarke, but that's a different position and world).

I'm hoping Woolridge has a great season, but in terms of size, build, athleticism, speed, etc I think he'll be amazingly similar to Geno.

The have very similar 2pt% over 3 years. Geno last year shot 56% from 2, which is 4% high than Woolridge's career average.
    Particularly their builds. No one can deny that Geno Crandall had a very slight frame that wasn't especially geared towards the physicality of high major basketball. Despite their listed weights, Woolridge appears to have a much more sturdy build. If you look at their pictures side by side, the difference is pretty clear.

In terms of their athleticism, Woolridge seems like a better functional athlete. Crandall showed explosiveness in space, particularly off of two feet, where as Woolridge looks like a better one foot leaper who’s a bit more comfortable exploding in traffic.

Those are the main differences as I see them.

One similarity that I see is that both players have the word North as part of the name of the colleges that they played for. Ha ha ha ha

A little humor is added here.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Nice radio talk about Woolridge -- little bit of info about the knee injury---Woolridge and Glider know each other and that may have contributed to the signing.

https://twitter.com/PressBoxSpokane/...03759624871936

I can't help it. Something about him reminds me of a young Giancarlo Esposito. Classic scene....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc6_XgtOQgI

Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
    Particularly their builds. No one can deny that Geno Crandall had a very slight frame that wasn't especially geared towards the physicality of high major basketball. Despite their listed weights, Woolridge appears to have a much more sturdy build. If you look at their pictures side by side, the difference is pretty clear.

In terms of their athleticism, Woolridge seems like a better functional athlete. Crandall showed explosiveness in space, particularly off of two feet, where as Woolridge looks like a better one foot leaper who’s a bit more comfortable exploding in traffic.

Those are the main differences as I see them.

Woolridge faced tougher competition overall than Geno did as well.

Makes a difference when discussing areas like finishing through traffic, finding passing lanes, or creating your own shot vs better players, etc.

Conference USA (UNT) is a solid bball conference, much better overall than Summit (UND).

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Woolridge faced tougher competition overall than Geno did as well.

Makes a difference when discussing areas like finishing through traffic, finding passing lanes, or creating your own shot vs better players, etc.

Conference USA (UNT) is a solid bball conference, much better overall than Summit (UND).
    Geno played for UND when they were in the Big Sky, which is actually worse than the Summit.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Geno played for UND when they were in the Big Sky, which is actually worse than the Summit.
    Conference USA is a Top 12 or 13 Conference , ranked higher than WAC, Mountain West, etc.

Big Sky and Summit rank in low 20's RPI

Teams like Charlotte, Old Dominion, UAB, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, So Miss, UTEP, et al have histories and traditions

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    First, the Zags could really use a player who can penetrate and score inside. It's really something that Perkins could NOT do. Perkins was a very good passer when attacking the basket but he could not score inside. This appears to be Woolridge's strength.

I was surprised to look at the 2pt shooting percentages and see some surprising results .

Perkins and Woolridge are nearly identical (Perkins with fewer attempts).

Player____2pt shooting%_____Attempts per 40 mins

Perkins________50%___________ 4.8
    Woolridge______52%___________9.2
    Thornton ______41%____________8.5
    Gilder _________49% __________ 6.4

Ja Morant ______55%___________10
    Williams-Goss___51% ___________11
    Geno Crandall___53% (56% w/GU)__ 8
    Zach Norvell ___ 56% ____________5.7

If anyone knows a way to just find shooting stats for "around the rim" (say 8' or 10') please post a link.

We may have dodged a bullet with Thornton.

both our grad transfers are coming off fairly significant injuries--

Admon with a blood clot to shoulder, actually threatened his playing career and forcing him to take nearly a year off basketball. Just recently started playing again, even limited mins.

Woolridge fractured his kneecap/patella & had surgery after the season ended to correct it. Still not playing and will resume activity in a few weeks. Patellas are tricky as the hardware &/or cannulated screws or wires to fixate the bone can cause lasting/lingering issues until healed and removed.

Just interesting is all ans something to keep an eye on.

Both players have had shortened off-season time to improve their respective games, and not currently at 100% at this point in time.

I'm happy we got both of the grad transfers simply to give our young ones time to get up to speed. We have SO much talent coming in! I think (like Pangos and Bell) they will have a very short learning curve and fighting for starting positions quickly. Another long bench...

I'm just trying to figure out how a DI guard is such a terrible FT shooter. 🚨
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by FuManShoes View Post
    I'm just trying to figure out how a DI guard is such a terrible FT shooter. 🚨
    It's a shame he doesn't listen to more Rick Barry.

Or Malcolm Gladwell.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post

Woolridge fractured his kneecap/patella & had surgery after the season ended to correct it. Still not playing and will resume activity in a few weeks. Patellas are tricky as the hardware &/or cannulated screws or wires to fixate the bone can cause lasting/lingering issues until healed and removed.

Just interesting is all ans something to keep an eye on.

Both players have had shortened off-season time to improve their respective games, and not currently at 100% at this point in time.
    I think it was a stress fracture of the patella usually related to overuse. He fits in with this typical Zag injury, too much time on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    I think it was a stress fracture of the patella usually related to overuse. He fits in with this typical Zag injury, too much time on the floor.
    Pretty rare yet not unheard of in young athletes.

If that's the case, maybe a tension band instead of k-wires and screws.

Likely non displaced fx then.

Much shorter recovery time and prognosis is good.

Displaced patella fx's are ridiculously tricky and often reinjured and repaired.

Sounds like this was minor tho

Default Great call

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    I can't help it. Something about him reminds me of a young Giancarlo Esposito. Classic scene....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc6_XgtOQgI
    Your comparison of Giancarlo Esposito is perfect lol haha. Esposito was great in many spike lee movies in the 80’s & 90’s. This post by you really brought a good chuckle to me cuz I usually hated Espositos characters in those movies he was always kind of a bad guy if I remember correctly (specifically he played one of the guys who murdered Malcom X in spike lees movie “X” & Esposito was the character “Buggin Out” who started the riot at Sals Pizzeria in Spike Lee movie “Do the right thing”.

Anybody know why he came of the bench their last three games (including the conference tournament)? I thought I read his knee injury wasn't until his last game. He still played 30+ minutes in two of those three games, so maybe not a huge concern. Certain answers would make me feel better than others.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...1/gamelog/2019

Maybe this:

"Woolridge came to UNT as a transfer under former coach Tony Benford and has clashed at times with McCasland when it comes to style of play. McCasland runs a structured system that has reined in Woolridge."

https://dentonrc.com/sports/basketba...a880ddcee.html

Or maybe not. I shouldn't speculate.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I was surprised to look at the 2pt shooting percentages and see some surprising results .

Perkins and Woolridge are nearly identical (Perkins with fewer attempts).

Player____2pt shooting%_____Attempts per 40 mins

Perkins________50%___________ 4.8
    Woolridge______52%___________9.2
    Thornton ______41%____________8.5
    Gilder _________49% __________ 6.4

Ja Morant ______55%___________10
    Williams-Goss___51% ___________11
    Geno Crandall___53% (56% w/GU)__ 8
    Zach Norvell ___ 56% ____________5.7

If anyone knows a way to just find shooting stats for "around the rim" (say 8' or 10') please post a link.

We may have dodged a bullet with Thornton.

Jordan Ford (SMC) has been excellent at finishing inside, but has also been really good from 3pt land. I hadn't realized quite how good he's been! He's basically been a higher-use Pangos who scores much better inside the arc, and has managed this despite a much worse supporting cast.

(6'1" 175lb)

Very true. But Pangos made those around him better. Ford, arguably, did not. Ford paired with Pangos, however, would be the perfect duo.

Here's a breakdown of Gonzaga guards' shot breakdown (2012-2019) via Hoop-Math.com :

The only Gonzaga guard to take a higher percentage of shots at the rim in any season than Ryan Woolridge was Gerard Coleman, but Woolridge had a much higher rate of unassisted shot attempts at the rim, similar to David Stockton's junior and senior years. Eric McClellan, Byron Wesley, and Geno Crandall also among up there in shots at the rim

PG who struggled in a structured offense... I hope he got that out of his system.

Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    Here's a breakdown of Gonzaga guards' shot breakdown (2012-2019) via Hoop-Math.com :

The only Gonzaga guard to take a higher percentage of shots at the rim in any season than Ryan Woolridge was Gerard Coleman, but Woolridge had a much higher rate of unassisted shot attempts at the rim, similar to David Stockton's junior and senior years. Eric McClellan, Byron Wesley, and Geno Crandall also among up there in shots at the rim
    I suspect Eric, Gerard and Geno are pretty fair comparisons to the type of player we’ll see. Good depth. Nice move for both parties.

Still hoping for another pg, though. We’re weak at guard.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    PG who struggled in a structured offense... I hope he got that out of his system.
    Dickau and others have talked about how they like the fact that Few gives his guards a lot of freedom. "Structured offense" was pretty much what Dickau was forced to do playing for Bob Bender at UW. Once, in an interview, he was asked what the difference was for him in playing for GU v UW, and he said that at GU he was back to playing like he did in high school, and that he had made a poor initial choice for his preferred style of play; words to that effect.