• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagsObserver
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
    Regardless of who starts, Few had to get another PG on the roster. And they were more impressed with him than Derryck Thornton.
    I hadn’t heard that last part. But you are correct, at a minimum we obtained crucial depth.

Comment

• zagamatic
      Zag for Life
      • Aug 2009

With the monsters we have down low this upcoming season, a missed 3 pointer might just be good offense as they should be able to clean up most misses. Just being optimistic.

Comment

• Zagdawg
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Liking his passing

Comment

• Reborn
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2007

These videos are really really good. First, the Zags could really use a player who can penetrate and score inside. It's really something that Perkins could NOT do. Perkins was a very good passer when attacking the basket but he could not score inside. This appears to be Woolridge's strength. And then his passing is really an asset. He runs the pick and role beautifully and we know how much Mark Few loves the pick and role offense. Woolridge is a GREAT pick up by Mark Few. I'm very excited.

Mark Few and his staff have done a great job with graduate transfers and I'm sure that trend will continue next year. I imagine that Few was somewhat surprised when Norvell decided to move on. However, in the Mark Few way, he accepted the challenge and has been able to find two guys that he believes will handle the team. When comparing Woolridge to Crandall I don't mind at all. He was a great back up point guard and did a lot to help the Zags to a wonderful post season. Finishing in the Elite 8 is certainly a GREAT way to finish the season.

Go Zags!!!
          Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• tinfoilzag
            Zag for Life
            • Jun 2009

There are mentions of an injury in his past (fractured knee cap?). Anyone have details?
            The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
              Regardless of who starts, Few had to get another PG on the roster. And they were more impressed with him than Derryck Thornton.
              Might help explain Thorton to BC.

Happy for the depth more than anything else. If he is solid on D... that is perfect.

Welcome Mr. Woolridge!
              "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Zagdawg
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Not a lot out there-- but it looks like he is moving in the right direction.

"Woolridge’s options in terms of where he will continue his career could be limited somewhat by a fractured kneecap that required surgery following the season. He is on course to return to action after healing over the last few weeks, a source close to Woolridge said."

North Texas point guard Ryan Woolridge has entered the NCAA transfer portal and will leave the program as a graduate transfer, multiple sources confirmed to the Denton Record-Chronicle on Friday

Comment

• Worthington
                  Bleeds GU Blue
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
                  What areas were iffy?

Size and build? Crandall is the same height, same weight, and looked to have a similar plus reach. Geno could play above the rim (recall the alley oop from JP?)
                  Quickness? - Geno had the fastest hands and seems like the most "quick" or quick-twitch guy on the team (apart from Clarke, but that's a different position and world).

I'm hoping Woolridge has a great season, but in terms of size, build, athleticism, speed, etc I think he'll be amazingly similar to Geno.

The have very similar 2pt% over 3 years. Geno last year shot 56% from 2, which is 4% high than Woolridge's career average.
                  Particularly their builds. No one can deny that Geno Crandall had a very slight frame that wasn't especially geared towards the physicality of high major basketball. Despite their listed weights, Woolridge appears to have a much more sturdy build. If you look at their pictures side by side, the difference is pretty clear.

In terms of their athleticism, Woolridge seems like a better functional athlete. Crandall showed explosiveness in space, particularly off of two feet, where as Woolridge looks like a better one foot leaper who’s a bit more comfortable exploding in traffic.

Those are the main differences as I see them.

Comment

• Reborn
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2007

One similarity that I see is that both players have the word North as part of the name of the colleges that they played for. Ha ha ha ha

A little humor is added here.

Go Zags!!!
                    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Zagdawg
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Nice radio talk about Woolridge -- little bit of info about the knee injury---Woolridge and Glider know each other and that may have contributed to the signing.

Comment

• scrooner
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

I can't help it. Something about him reminds me of a young Giancarlo Esposito. Classic scene....

Do the Right Thing movie clips: http://j.mp/1JeaIIOBUY THE MOVIE: http://amzn.to/vXXRmZDon't miss the HOTTEST NEW TRAILERS: http://bit.ly/1u2y6prCLIP DESCRIP...

Comment

• raise the zag
                          Zag for Life
                          • May 2011

Originally posted by Worthington View Post
                          Particularly their builds. No one can deny that Geno Crandall had a very slight frame that wasn't especially geared towards the physicality of high major basketball. Despite their listed weights, Woolridge appears to have a much more sturdy build. If you look at their pictures side by side, the difference is pretty clear.

In terms of their athleticism, Woolridge seems like a better functional athlete. Crandall showed explosiveness in space, particularly off of two feet, where as Woolridge looks like a better one foot leaper who’s a bit more comfortable exploding in traffic.

Those are the main differences as I see them.

Woolridge faced tougher competition overall than Geno did as well.

Makes a difference when discussing areas like finishing through traffic, finding passing lanes, or creating your own shot vs better players, etc.

Conference USA (UNT) is a solid bball conference, much better overall than Summit (UND).

Comment

• bdmiller7
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by raise the zag View Post
                            Woolridge faced tougher competition overall than Geno did as well.

Makes a difference when discussing areas like finishing through traffic, finding passing lanes, or creating your own shot vs better players, etc.

Conference USA (UNT) is a solid bball conference, much better overall than Summit (UND).
                            Geno played for UND when they were in the Big Sky, which is actually worse than the Summit.

Comment

• raise the zag
                              Zag for Life
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post
                              Geno played for UND when they were in the Big Sky, which is actually worse than the Summit.
                              Conference USA is a Top 12 or 13 Conference , ranked higher than WAC, Mountain West, etc.

Big Sky and Summit rank in low 20's RPI

Teams like Charlotte, Old Dominion, UAB, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, So Miss, UTEP, et al have histories and traditions

Comment

• LTownZag
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                                First, the Zags could really use a player who can penetrate and score inside. It's really something that Perkins could NOT do. Perkins was a very good passer when attacking the basket but he could not score inside. This appears to be Woolridge's strength.

I was surprised to look at the 2pt shooting percentages and see some surprising results .

Perkins and Woolridge are nearly identical (Perkins with fewer attempts).

Player____2pt shooting%_____Attempts per 40 mins

Perkins________50%___________ 4.8
                                Woolridge______52%___________9.2
                                Thornton ______41%____________8.5
                                Gilder _________49% __________ 6.4

Ja Morant ______55%___________10
                                Williams-Goss___51% ___________11
                                Geno Crandall___53% (56% w/GU)__ 8
                                Zach Norvell ___ 56% ____________5.7

If anyone knows a way to just find shooting stats for "around the rim" (say 8' or 10') please post a link.

We may have dodged a bullet with Thornton.

Comment

Working...
                                X