Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Woolridge commits

Default Ryan Woolridge commits

Quote Originally Posted by MBZags View Post
    Right on. Not a great scorer, rather all around type player. Seems like perfect fit for next year!

We will see.. 58% from the FT line, shooting form out of whack. I am not claiming to be Mark Few, but I have coached college ball, trained a few pros and was sketch on Geno Crandall when i watched film on him as well. He appears to dribble too high and has a very low release push shot... his 5 to 3 Assist to Turnover Ratio in Conference USA doesn't excite me too much and three years in the 50% range on his Ft's is very alarming....at that rate are you going to have him in the game in a late pressure situation in the NCAA tournament when the pressure is 100x that of most regular conference C-usa games?

Hope he can lead a team well... if the team is looking for another Geno, i think we may have it. If they were looking for a starting PG on a top 10 team who will lead these guys to second weekends and such, i am skeptical. We do still have one more scholarship left???

Great news! This is a good move. We have a quite serviceable PG now with the ability to bring in star recruit. With the PG hole adequately plugged, the staff now can afford to be patient and picky.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kitzbuel; 06-23-2019 at 05:15 PM.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

How is he defensively? He could be the Yin to Ravet's Yang.

The way things are rounding out, Ravet feels like the starter unless he gets abused on defense. He could probably get cross-matched to a shooting guard, anyhow, if need be.

ETA:
    Woolridge is a 6’3” 180 pound guard, who mainly played point at North Texas. He’s very similar to Thornton in that he’s not a great shooter, but is a good slasher, a great distributor, and a very strong defender. He was third team all-conference last season and had the best defensive rating of any player in the league, averaging just under two steals a game.

In terms of offense, he averaged double figure scoring each of the last two seasons along with 5.8 assists as a sophomore and 4.8 assists as a junior. He also averaged over five rebounds each year. He’s not a three-point shooter, averaging under a made shot per game, but is very crafty around the rim. He had a triple-double in a win over Indiana State last season and a 24 point, 12 rebound, 6 assist performance against Rice two weeks later.
    https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...ryan-woolridge

“Really good. Ready to plug and play on a high major team. Elite speed, great defender on ball and off. Guys like playing with him because he’ll find open guy. Good finisher.”
    -Jeff Goodman

I'll take back what I said earlier-- PG competition seems wide open

Good write up on Ryan's defensive prowess

https://247sports.com/college/north-...lay-129069059/

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Career Stats

STATS
    2018-19
    2017-18
    2016-17
    GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
    30 32.8 46.9 33.3 58.1 5.9 4.8 0.3 1.9 1.6 2.9 11.7
    38 36.6 49.6 31.5 50.6 5.2 5.8 0.4 1.4 2.1 3.4 12.7
    21 28.5 50.3 35.7 57.5 4.9 3.2 0.1 2.0 1.7 3.1 9.6

He is the perfect fit and does not interfer with Suggs. I was hearing Grimes lately had not heard Ryan much since early May until Friday when I heard he was in town. Huge pick up!!

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    How is he defensively? He could be the Yin to Ravet's Yang.

The way things are rounding out, Ravet feels like the starter unless he gets abused on defense. He could probably get cross-matched to a shooting guard, anyhow, if need be.

ETA:

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...ryan-woolridge

-Jeff Goodman

I'll take back what I said earlier-- PG competition seems wide open
    Woolridge will start. Ravet will play lots of minutes but will not start.

Default Ryan Woolridge commits

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    He is the perfect fit and does not interfer with Suggs. I was hearing Grimes lately had not heard Ryan much since early May until Friday when I heard he was in town. Huge pick up!!
    Any chance we might still be able to pick up Grimes as well, or are we done at the guard position?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    We will see.. 58% from the FT line, shooting form out of whack. I am not claiming to be Mark Few, but I have coached college ball, trained a few pros and was sketch on Geno Crandall when i watched film on him as well. He appears to dribble too high and has a very low release push shot... his 5 to 3 Assist to Turnover Ratio in Conference USA doesn't excite me too much and three years in the 50% range on his Ft's is very alarming....at that rate are you going to have him in the game in a late pressure situation in the NCAA tournament when the pressure is 100x that of most regular conference C-usa games?

Hope he can lead a team well... if the team is looking for another Geno, i think we may have it. If they were looking for a starting PG on a top 10 team who will lead these guys to second weekends and such, i am skeptical. We do still have one more scholarship left???
    Perhaps throw in a good thing or two before your rather one-sided analysis (I do appreciate the neutral opinion, I like that) bc- you know - the guy hasn't played a game yet here. He has to have a little bit of upside or he wouldn't be here at all.

So, maybe the others who have found defense stuff great, slashing good, maybe just balance it out a bit. I understand your underwhelmed, and that's fine, I don't want glowing if there's no glow. But there's gotta be some glow?

I would bet that a few of those holes will be coached-up - like FTs - bc we do have a good record of doing that.

We were absolutely spoiled in that our first two major grad txs from the Pac were great players and great kids, now men, and we've just taken that for granted. Those kids are special, really special, and we'll never forget them but to hold others up to that standard pre-season is a little much.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Ball View Post
    Any chance we might still be able to pick up Grimes as well, or are we done at the guard position?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I keep hearing if Grimes gets out of Texas watch out.

Best defensive backcourt Zags have ever had? Ryan Woolridge and Admon Gilder!!? Perfect complements for Ravet while the youngster grows.

Woolridge is a 6’3” 180 pound guard, who mainly played point at North Texas. He’s very similar to Thornton in that he’s not a great shooter, but is a good slasher, a great distributor, and a very strong defender. He was third team all-conference last season and had the best defensive rating of any player in the league, averaging just under two steals a game.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

I'm intrigued by a defensive-studded backcourt. We've never had that unless you count Perkins/NWG or Knight/Raivio. Tillie and Kispert are going to need to score some major points for us though. I'm assuming this means Watson starts also.

Reminds me of Rajon Rondo in some ways, at least in terms of role and attributes.

Long, quick, pass first, nice defender, natural feel, yet not a great shooter.

I see comparisons to Geno and they are similar style as well, yet this kid a much more gifted, natural passer.

Wont be much of a shooting threat, yet underrated at scoring in the lane.

His finishing (2pt) FG% is excellent.

Will he able to distribute well, and plays as a true PG. Definitely the best we could have hoped for at this juncture. Considered a Top 10 grad transfer by all from the beginning. Most analysts ranked Woolridge right with Thornton, some had him a spot higher.

Nice pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Woolridge will start. Ravet will play lots of minutes but will not start.
    I like the defensive profile and the college experience is invaluable. It's been a long time since we've had a non-shooter at PG and the results back then make me a bit nervous... but this offseason has been an exercise in optimism and I am looking forward to seeing what Woolridge (and Ravet) can do.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Reminds me of Rajon Rondo in some ways, at least in terms of role and attributes.

Long, quick, pass first, nice defender, natural feel, yet not a great shooter.

I see comparisons to Geno and they are similar style as well, yet this kid a much more gifted, natural passer.

Wont be much of a shooting threat, yet underrated at scoring in the lane.

His finishing (2pt) FG% is excellent.

Will he able to distribute well, and plays as a true PG. Definitely the best we could have hoped for at this juncture. Considered a Top 10 grad transfer by all from the beginning. Most analysts ranked Woolridge right with Thornton, some had him a spot higher.

Nice pick up.
    Are you referring to top 10 grad Point guard transfer? Not overall.. he was around 40-50 overall from what i saw and read all around.

“Going into games I know I’m going to guard the best player so I have to take it as a challenge,” Woolridge said. “I can’t just let him go off. I have to do something to change his mindset and throw him off a little bit.”

Woolridge has always been a capable defender, he was even a good defender through the non conference season, but it’s been at a different level recently. Over the past seven games, he has 19 steals and is constantly harassing the best guard on the other team."

I like it--- defense wins games.

Go Zags

When is he eligible to play?
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    When is he eligible to play?
    Should be immediate. He graduated this spring; one year at USD, three at UNT.

- Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Like that 2nd link: per his Coach "he doesn't take a day off."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ryan-woolridge

Per context, 22 vs Portland in early season in Hawaii.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

I like his game more than Thornton's, I think the staff has done really well.

A pass first point guard who defends at an elite level is exactly what we needed. Quick impression is that he appears to have the size, build, quickness, and athleticism to play high major hoops. Crandall was iffy in a few of those areas, so I'm more optimistic about the impact Woolridge will make.

2018-2019 season accomplishments:

• C-USA All-Conference Third-Team
    • Averaged 11.7 points per game
    • Averaged 6.0 rebounds per game
    • Averaged 5.0 assists per game
    • Was the only player in C-USA to average over 10 points, five rebounds and five assists per game
    • Recorded the program's first triple-double in 27 years on Dec. 5 at Indiana State with 12 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists. He reached the triple-double mark with eight minutes left in the game
    • Was the only player in C-USA to record a triple-double in 2018-19
    • Led the team with 58 steals, which was the sixth-most in school history and the most in 14 years at UNT
    • Scored a season-high 24 points at Rice on Dec. 29
    • Had a career-high 12 rebounds at Rice on Dec. 29
    • Recorded 10+ assists twice
    • Made a career-high 10 field goals at Rice on Dec. 29
    • Scored his 1,000th career point on Feb. 9 versus WKU

https://meangreensports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=66

Pretty cool to be only player in CUSA to log a triple dbl last season and the first in 27 yrs at UNT.

Had 9 pts and 8 assists vs USF Dons, so did well vs WCC comp, and averaged 9 assists per game for CBI Tourney.

Had 22 pts, 8 assists, and 7 rebounds vs Portland Pilots last yr.

Had 20 pts, 7 assists, and 6 rebs vs USD Torreros.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Should be immediate. He graduated this spring; one year at USD, three at UNT.

Editing to add that he did commit to USD for the 15-16 school year, but didn't play and transferred to UNT, so I am not sure he attended USD.

- Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time