View Poll Results: Who has the best NBA situation?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rui Hachimura

23 32.86%
  • Zach Norvell Jr

0 0%
  • Brandon Clarke

47 67.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has the best NBA situation?

Default Who has the best NBA situation?

Brandon Clarke dropped, but will be getting passes from Ja Morant. He should be getting the same easy looks he got at Gonzaga playing across from Jaren Jackson. I wouldn’t be shocked if they challenged for the 8th seed in the west.

Rui is going in to what was this past season a an arm breaking bicycle crash. He might be a better fit than some of their previous small forward options, and he could be a breath of fresh air for the franchise. There’s certainly a positional need for him there, and there are still pieces there which were once playoff worthy. He could challenge for ROY if he can push them back into the playoffs.

Zach Norvell could wind up playing big minutes for the Lakers as a sixth man(started?) off the bench. He could be that microwave heat check guy, and occasionally go off for 20-30 off the bench. I’m sure he’d love to be getting open looks from Anthony Davis and LeBron James. Plus he gets to play with former Zag, Jonathon Williams!!!

I think Brandon Clarke's situation is very strong. Young team but building up a roster of smart, talented players. I know the Pascal Siakam comp is overplayed, but I really do think he could end up in that type of role. His defensive prowess will give him a long career no matter what.

Rui's is a bit more fluid. That team is so mired down by Wall's contract. The optimistic side of me hopes that, as a result, Rui has a few years to build his game as the franchise figures out a direction (you know, hiring a GM would be a good start). His ceiling is still so high...just needs the confidence and time.

Zach's actual fit is perfect for him. The Lakers need cheap depth and shooting, and his toughness and tenacity will be loved by his teammates. He could easily get 12-15 minutes off the bench if he can consistently hit his outside shot. It'll be tough for him in more limited minutes, and IMO the real question in Zach's NBA career will be his defense. I don't know with his size and athleticism if he will ever be able to show off his great finishing skills, but as a 3 and D wing, he can earn a lot of minutes if he becomes an above average defender. A Jodie Meeks type player maybe...which can carve you out a long career.

Rui will mint $$$$$. That’s all that matters now, post GU. It’s a job. Given his draft number, playing in a cosmopolitan city and along the eastern seaboard, the Jordan brand contract, and whatever happens back in Japan, the young man’s twinkle will be even brighter in the years ahead.

I voted for Brandon, but Rui has the opportunity to remake a franchise. We all know Rui as an incredible young man who is talented, witty, personable, and with a million dollar smile.

He's paid his dues, along with his other teammates who involved themselves with the summer camps the Zags put on. I'm not aware of how many other programs have similar situations. For example, I doubt Duke does this, else we'd see full coverage on ESPN.

They will all be fan favorites in a very short period of time.

Rui….where there are problems there are opportunities.....when you are on the bottom there is no where to go but up....he could become the face of the franchise....
    Last edited by bartruff1; 06-22-2019 at 06:29 AM.

Rui is clearly in the worst spot there is. Wizards are an awful organization. That being said if he helped build it from the bottom the benefits reap the most. I kinda hope they trade him

Norvell would have the best spot if he was guaranteed a full time roster spot. If he gets that chance and wins a championship I’m sure we’d all be happy for him.

Clarke has the best situation for me. Memphis with Ja Morant? Goodness. Now that’s a fun time in Blue Suede shoes
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Rui is clearly in the worst spot there is. Wizards are an awful organization. That being said if he helped build it from the bottom the benefits reap the most. I kinda hope they trade him

Norvell would have the best spot if he was guaranteed a full time roster spot. If he gets that chance and wins a championship I’m sure we’d all be happy for him.

Clarke has the best situation for me. Memphis with Ja Morant? Goodness. Now that’s a fun time in Blue Suede shoes
    This first year for Rui will be interesting. Wall is out this year so I think the locker room will be a little more functional. It will be a shock for him nonetheless. They do not have that professional winning attitude of a Mark Few locker room.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

We all hope that each of these three guys maximize their careers in the NBA!

I think that Rui has to learn a few things to be a great player at this level: (1) play tougher "D"; (2) keep his head up when posting up so he can better see the dbl team and make passes to his open teammates; and (3) learn to shoot correctly...he needs to learn how to put more arc on his shots, which will much improve his 3pt%...his trajectory is too flat and this is something I've said for the past couple of years. If he can learn these three things in the next 18-24 months, then he will make a killing as a FA after his 4th year...I'd love to see him go to the Warriors as he would fit in nicely with their offence...

With regards to Brandon, I'm still not convinced he isn't a tweener so the jury is still out for me but if he can also learn to shoot the 3ball then his value will rise immensely - anything to stretch the defence and open up the middle...I do see him, if the P/T avails itself, playing well with Ja

Zach has IMO the toughest road BUT with LA needing "cheap" players they might well give Snacks the chance he will need to prove he belongs at this level.

These three guys are just so well balanced as players and individuals and no doubt the GU tradition of "hard workers and team first mentality" continually moves forward...

I bet it was a joy for the Staff to have the opportunity to coach these three players...I know it was a joy for me to watch them play...

Perkins.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Rui….where there are problems there are opportunities.....when you are on the bottom there is no where to go but up....he could become the face of the franchise....
    +1

He is also in the best financial situation, but he probably would have been in that situation anywhere but Russia's Siberian League (or another fanciful imaginary place).

Clarke and Rui both have a great chance to shine early in their careers, something Morrison lost out on-- something I blame more on his coach than his injury early on, then on being on a stacked Lakers team. Kobe said that Adam was a really good player. I've held a grudge against Coach Brown since his days of Coaching Adam (fairly or not, head and the heart, and all that)

I used to think Perkins was too slow to play NBA PG, but I'm changing my thinking after seeing that there really are only a handful of lightning quick guys out there, and even the slow guys get into the lane in today's NBA. Pick and roll and spacing for 3-point shots are the style du jour, which I think Perkins would thrive in. I'm hoping he impresses with his basketball IQ and can show NBA range during his extended audition. Chris Paul might be out the door in Houston, who has taken chances on Zags before, and has a Coach who has experience with a WCC player before... The Wizards need a PG, too, with Wall hurt. The free agency period will be interesting. Charlotte had 5 PG's on their roster last year, so I don't know if they are stocking up for the Zombie apocalypse, or have some other method to their madness.

Norvell is an enigma.

Every Country in the World has a Embassy in Washington....every global corporation has representatives in Washington....every global trade organization is in Washington....Washington is the Capitol of the world......Washington/New York is the largest media market in the world....

Rui represents a entire Country with the 3rd(?) largest economy....Rui will go to the White House for State Dinners...… he will never have to buy a Lexus or a appliance or probably anything else.....Rui is in the catbird seat....and he has the IT factor to take advantage of it....

Memphis is a backwater....I think Clarke will make good money playing basketball for 10 years....but I am not so sure it will be in the NBA'

Zion drew the short straw.....I bet he is out of NO as soon as possible...
    Last edited by bartruff1; 06-22-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Rui will mint $$$$$. That’s all that matters now, post GU. It’s a job. Given his draft number, playing in a cosmopolitan city and along the eastern seaboard, the Jordan brand contract, and whatever happens back in Japan, the young man’s twinkle will be even brighter in the years ahead.
    yep, These are pros (i.e. playing for money) so no question Rui is in the best position as his slotted salary as 9th pick will be over $10,000,000 guaranteed for 3 years while Clark will be about half that. Not to mention, DC is a whole lot better place to spend 9 months a year than than Memphis (unless you love barbecue and Jazz I guess)

Then you have Norvell who is guaranteed 75k but can make up to 400k+ on his two way contract. He also gets to live in LA (G league team is in LA)and train/practice at the same facility as the Lakers, Down side though is that the only team that can call him up to NBA is the Lakers. If he were to make the 15 man roster out of training camp the two way deal would be voided and he would make the NBA minimum which is right around 900K

Then you have Josh who is on an Exhibit 10 contract and will only be guaranteed the 10k or so they will pay him in training camp and then the 7k a month he will get playing for the Hornets G league team in Greensboro. But, if he stays with the g league team for at least 60 days, and doesnt go overseas he will then get a 50k bonus which would get him right around 100k for the year if he never sets foot in a real NBA game. If he were to make the 15 man roster out of training camp the option 10 deal would be voided and he would make NBA minimum. Upside of the Exhibit 10 deal is that he can get called up by any of the 30 teams in the league for a 10 day and any of them could sign him for the remainder of season if they so wish

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    yep, These are pros (i.e. playing for money) so no question Rui is in the best position as his slotted salary as 9th pick will be over $10,000,000 guaranteed for 3 years while Clark will be about half that.

Then you have Norvell who is guaranteed 75k but can make up to 400k+ on his two way contract. He also gets to live in LA (G league team is in LA)and train/practice at the same facility as the Lakers, Down side though is that the only team that can call him up to NBA is the Lakers. If he were to make the 15 man roster out of training camp the two way deal would be voided and he would make the NBA minimum which is right around 900K

Then you have Josh who is on an Exhibit 10 contract and will only be guaranteed the 10k or so they will pay him in training camp and then the 7k a month he will get playing for the Bobcats G league team in Greensboro. But, if he stays with the g league team for at least 60 days, and doesnt go overseas he will then get a 50k bonus which would get him right around 100k for the year if he never sets foot in a real NBA game. If he were to make the 15 man roster out of training camp the option 10 deal would be voided and he would make NBA minimum. Upside of the Exhibit 10 deal is that he can get called up by any of the 30 teams in the league for a 10 day and any of them could sign him for the remainder of season if they so wish
    Josh was the most unselfish PG in GU history, so all these fellas owe him something. Can't bring that to the bank, however.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    yep, These are pros (i.e. playing for money) so no question Rui is in the best position as his slotted salary as 9th pick will be over $10,000,000 guaranteed for 3 years while Clark will be about half that. Not to mention, DC is a whole lot better place to spend 9 months a year than than Memphis (unless you love barbecue and Jazz I guess)

Then you have Josh who is on an Exhibit 10 contract and will only be guaranteed the 10k or so they will pay him in training camp and then the 7k a month he will get playing for the Hornets G league team in Greensboro. But, if he stays with the g league team for at least 60 days, and doesnt go overseas he will then get a 50k bonus which would get him right around 100k for the year if he never sets foot in a real NBA game. If he were to make the 15 man roster out of training camp the option 10 deal would be voided and he would make NBA minimum. Upside of the Exhibit 10 deal is that he can get called up by any of the 30 teams in the league for a 10 day and any of them could sign him for the remainder of season if they so wish
    I would choose Memphis 100 times out of a 100 to live

Still have high hopes for Josh in making a roster. Maybe he’s not a freak athlete, but he’s a solid defender and facilitator. Most importantly he’s an excellent shooter with NBA three range.

Zach could actually make it on the Laker’s roster, and I couldn’t be happier for Brandon and Rui.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Clarke is a "moneyball" type player.

In pro sports, a player's "ceiling" has to be taken into context with his contract value. Bang for the buck.

With respect to the fore mentioned perspective, I think Clarke was the steal of the draft. If I was a GM, I would have taken him as high as #9. He will be the best rookie defender. Grizzly fans are going to be shocked at just how athletically gifted Clarke is. He can switch off and guard ALL positions at the next level. That is a very versatile and desirable trait. He is very unique and his inherent situational awareness combined with the speed in which he can elevate will more than compensate for his wingspan. Absolutely no doubt that he will blow their minds. So fun to watch. My favorite player to watch since Adam Morrison.
    I miss Mike Hart

Rui I think DC is a great place. I really enjoyed my month long stay there. He will become a star in the NBA and people all over the World are going to love him. He's an international talent and will draw huge audiences from around the World to watch him. He's going to be very, very rich....hahaha I also think people are going to really love Clarke as well.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I voted for Brandon, but Rui has the opportunity to remake a franchise. We all know Rui as an incredible young man who is talented, witty, personable, and with a million dollar smile.

He's paid his dues, along with his other teammates who involved themselves with the summer camps the Zags put on. I'm not aware of how many other programs have similar situations. For example, I doubt Duke does this, else we'd see full coverage on ESPN.

They will all be fan favorites in a very short period of time.
    If you're talking about players signing autographs for campers, Duke does the same thing.

What school wouldn't?

Clarke gets to play with Ja which is awesome. I think Rui's situation could be just as fruitful. Hachimura could play a big role depending on if Jabari Parker resigns. Either way, he has the potential of playing with John Wall and Parker which is pretty awesome. Good kid, well grounded and a great ambassador for Japan and Gonzaga. Two first rounders says a lot about Mark Few and this program.

Why is Perkins not listed? Zach is

I think all four of our guys are in the situation that I expected them to be in. Rui has a higher ceiling and greater financial impact on a franchise than Clarke and was picked accordingly. Rui has a chance to be the franchise player for them and I bet he extends his shooting range and becomes a plus defender in the NBA.

I always thought Clarke was a guy that would go 18-24 or so because while his shooting, age and offensive creativity limits his upside, he has an extremely high floor because of his defense, athleticism and energy. But I was thinking he’d go to a team that needed an immediate defensive stopper to put them in position to make noise in the playoffs. I don’t know if Memphis gets there with Morant and BC, but maybe. I would have rather seen him go to a contender that needed cheap labor and could mitigate against any offensive limitations. But he should have fun catching alley-oops.

The other two have good situations. Perkins with the flexibility to be called up by anyone and ZN with a team that could really use what he brings to the table. But I think Perkins has the best fit for what he should have been looking for and could reasonably expect. He has gotten himself an opportunity and might surprise everyone, but he only has to convince any single team.

W/ the caveat that as a non-NBA fan my opinion on this is completely uninformed, I'd guess that Memphis will have two guys high in the running for rookie of the year in Morant and Clarke. I had a great time in Memphis in my traveling festival vendor days at the Blues Fest there. Beautiful, fun city, compared to the sh!thole that is DC. One of the more stressful, difficult places I've worked. No question of which is the better place to live. As to money, both will make more than anyone ever needs.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Clarke is a "moneyball" type player.

In pro sports, a player's "ceiling" has to be taken into context with his contract value. Bang for the buck.

With respect to the fore mentioned perspective,[BOLD] I think Clarke was the steal of the draft.[/BOLD] If I was a GM, I would have taken him as high as #9. He will be the best rookie defender. Grizzly fans are going to be shocked at just how athletically gifted Clarke is. He can switch off and guard ALL positions at the next level. That is a very versatile and desirable trait. He is very unique and his inherent situational awareness combined with the speed in which he can elevate will more than compensate for his wingspan. Absolutely no doubt that he will blow their minds. So fun to watch. My favorite player to watch since Adam Morrison.
    Agreed. If not for Zion, Clarke would have been getting a lot more notice for putting up best efficiency stats in over 10+ years or so. Read that somewhere....he and Zion had stats (PER ??) that were way better than ever recorded before since such measures started being used. That’s what I recall reading somewhere anyway....too lazy to find the source.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    W/ the caveat that as a non-NBA fan my opinion on this is completely uninformed, I'd guess that Memphis will have two guys high in the running for rookie of the year in Morant and Clarke. I had a great time in Memphis in my traveling festival vendor days at the Blues Fest there. Beautiful, fun city, compared to the sh!thole that is DC. One of the more stressful, difficult places I've worked. No question of which is the better place to live. As to money, both will make more than anyone ever needs.
    I have learned that when you talk to people about places they would want to live it is really a matter of personal taste. In this instance, it one likes large cosmopolitan city with a whole lot to do and see then it would be DC. If one likes a smaller cleaner city with less traffic , etc then it would be a place like Memphis.

I know folks that love NYC and wouldnt live anywhere else in the world and I know folks that wouldnt live in NYC if their life depended on it. It is really "to each his own"

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post

Truly asking a question, bc I don't know the answer.

Is it that bad a thing to go to grease fire team in the NBA for a rookie?

It seems to me that - despite coaching problems - a rookie in a terrible organization has the chance to just explode on his own, and be cherished by a great team making a move in three years.

I have no idea of that's the "best way" but we sure have seen a lot of players do it over the years. One watches the top 4 teams in each conference and soon enough they all want this guy you've never heard of on the … whatever Wizards.

That's my question.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.