Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NBA Draft Night For Gonzaga Players Rui, Clarke and Norvell. Let's celebrate THEM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Has he hired an agent? Time is running out, 8 picks left, and no Zack.
    If he hadnt could he??

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Brandon Clarke was Memphis' man. They REALLY wanted him, and traded up to get him. I heard from more than just the ESPN folks that Clarke was at the top of Memphis' draft board. And part of it probably has to do with what people are saying in this thread......the Morant to Clarke connection. The ability for those two to play off of each other. I really wanted Brandon, especially, to go to a team that really wanted him. Not just to a team that picked him because he's the most talented guy left on the board.
    The next Chris Paul/Blake Griffin?

We were told he would not come back. Period. Zach will go way past the “40”slot we were told that he was told. There’s always hope but this is a darker cloud than anticipated. His choice. We wish him well .
    Last edited by MDABE80; 06-20-2019 at 09:06 PM.

Well, bummer. Hope Zach is able to take the time to carefully select the right team for him to try to make it as a free agent.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

60 picks, and no Snacks. Why can't he come back? I'm sure we have a scholarship available.

An interesting note to end ESPN's coverage of the NBA draft.

For the first time since 2009, no Kansas Jayhawk was drafted. The longest on-going streak is broken.

ZagDad

Dang well back to the drawing board for ZN. NWG is now making a million plus per year in Europe so if it's money he's after he can take a shot over there. Otherwise it will be another road less traveled in the D League.

Zach can't come back. That provision is contingent on the NBA making a rule change that they have not made yet.

He's been ineligible, officially, since May 29th.

Yup time for him to get to work. I am sure he will get to play in summer league. This may be the challenge he needs to shape himself into a great professional.

I'm hoping that Zach's phone is ringing off the hook right now.

Vanvleet is an undrafted success story. But he went undrafted after his senior year.

Does anyone know of a current NBA player who declared with college eligibility remaining, went undrafted, and has gone on to sign and play in the league?

Best of luck to Zach. I'll be pulling for him. It was just said on Sportscenter SVP that Rui was projected as far out as the 20th+ pick, and Nassir Little (who went late) as Portland's 12th best player on their board. Zach got some bad advice, it seems, and it also seems that the talent evaluation was all over the board this year. I'm guessing it was Zach's poor combine numbers that got him, in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    60 picks, and no Snacks. Why can't he come back? I'm sure we have a scholarship available.
    NCAA will allow it, but is waiting on the NBA:

The NCAA announced a series of policy changes regarding their rules for student athletes on Wednesday following the ongoing FBI Investigation into several prominent college basketball programs.

Among the most significant changes are the new rules that allow players participate in the NBA combine but are not selected in the draft to return to school, provide financial assistance to players who leave school early and wish to return later to finish their degree, and give "elite" high school and college athletes the opportunity to be represented by an agent. Agents must be certified by an NCAA program.

The NCAA clarified that this rule would only apply after the NBA and NBPA begin allowing players to be drafted out of high school, meaning 2021 at the earliest.
    https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...rn-agent-rules

I've had a bad feeling about Zach all along. Someone certainly gave him some very poor input about his chances, imo. Zach seemed so positive that he was going between 20-40. Weird. However, I didn't think he was ready for the NBA YET. I also felt that he would have had a fantastic, monster year at Gonzaga next year, and that he'd be the leading scorer averaging around 19 ppg. Afterall, he would only be a junior next year. But he had made up his mind, and may not have liked school. Best of luck to him, and we'll all be pulling for him, I'm sure.

iT WAS cool seeing Mark Few there. Lots of love....

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Pulling for him but he also got bad advice. Long hill to climb now... certainly not impossible, but feel sick about the situation. Probably shoulda came back, but can’t do that now. Go get em zach
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

If you aren't drafted in the first, there are no guarantees... so really, there isn't a massive difference between being drafted in the second and signed as an undrafted free agent really.
    This isn't the end of the world for Zach and actually may work out just fine as he can find a team that will be the best fit for him to have a shot.

Still feel as I have always felt that his best choice was to remain at Gonzaga and be the go to option. He has 6 or so things he clearly needs to work on to be a pro, and I outlined all of them soon after the E8 loss. I personally do not know anyone whose opinion I trust who felt he wouldn't have been drafted next year (some as a 1st rounder) if he stayed at GU. But it is his life, not mine.

The key with this thing is not to just be a pro. It is to have a career. Like Ronny did. Just being in the NBA for cup of coffee.....I'd rather have the safety and comfort of working an office job than play in the G league as a marginal prospect. But it is his life, not mine.

I don't trust the G league because the goal of it is to get out of it. The outcome of games doesn't desperately matter to fans because the rosters are always shifting. To me, the cooperative aspect of the game of basketball is more important than any single individual skill development. It is not an individual sport. I will never trust it to develop players.

Vanvleet led his team to a final four and an undefeated season (until the 2nd round) as a 1st option.....more than anything Zach ever did. I know others disagree, but I still feel that its important for most players in the NBA to be a 1st or 2nd option on a high level college team in order to have a long term career in the NBA. Unless they have insane upside or talent, which Norvell doesn't. There will always be exceptions. I am for taking the most proven route. But it his life, not mine.

The system of college basketball has always worked at developing players like Norvell. I hate to see it eroding.

Just to reemphasize what CDC wrote above, when some of us disdain Zach's choices, most of the crowd were pre I, at least , thought this could be a messy outcome for Zach. 1. not finishing college so he could take care of himself. 2. Loss of his options to come back for another yr or two to improve shooting, defense, ballhandling so his chances of making the NBA would be enhanced. And yet, as CDC says, it's his life ( albeit an uninformed one at his age) . Sometimes you love the kids but they have the right to screw up their own futures.
    This night, Zach got shortchanged and much of it was done by himself. As 62 said above, it makes me sick to think this wonderful boy is now apparently limited. At GU we get the kids to have a sturdy platform so they blossom.

Along the same lines, I don't like where Rui ended up. The organization is structurally a mess without a smart GM. I'd hoped he'd stay out west because he'd do better in a multicultural situation like SF or the Lakers. At least he gets a very good chance but is assured $2.6 million as base and lots of endorsements. I sure didn't like the banter which seem to downgrade the value of a shining star if he's handled right.

And then Brandon..outside of the the lottery when I thought he was a surefire lottery pick. He's not really in a big time market. At least he's got a chance and I hope he expands him game.
    As an older guy who's seen quite a few movies, I understand the pitfalls. From here on in, it is all business. somehow that sours the nature of the game for me. Praying for the kids to live to full potential is what I'll be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    A very fun first round. Great for for the Zags. This will really help our recruiting. Good luck to both guys. And thanks for the great memories that you both have left behind. You both represent Gonzaga basketball and university really well.

Go Zags!!!
    Ya Man!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    They don't have a GM and big salary cap problems since all of their money is tied up in an injured supermaxed John Wall. No salary room means very little chances of improving.
    It is a bit perplexing that the Wizards are in this situation. The owner, Ted Leonsis, has had success as an owner of the Capitals hockey club and revived the Wizards in the post Gilbert Arenas era.

He waited to long to get rid of Ernie Grunsfeld who had become complacent. The Wizards are now stuck with a huge John Wall contract and now have no starting PG since he will be out the whole next season (Achilles tear).

They are looking for inexpensive options to replace Otto Porter and Kelly Oubre, so Rui will likely get good playing time. But it will be a challenging few years for the team.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    NCAA will allow it, but is waiting on the NBA:

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...rn-agent-rules
    Methinks Zach will surprise us all - in a very good way - where he is and how he's doing 1 year from today. He's a scrappy kid + smart and skilled. I have no doubt he'll find a good place to be and likely bringing in a nice chunk of change to boot.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    If you aren't drafted in the first, there are no guarantees... so really, there isn't a massive difference between being drafted in the second and signed as an undrafted free agent really.
    This isn't the end of the world for Zach and actually may work out just fine as he can find a team that will be the best fit for him to have a shot.
    Agree. Other than it's cool to have your name called on draft night, this may work out better for ZN. If NWG had been able to choose a team in need of a guard instead of being drafted by a team that didnt he may have had a better chance of playing in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    From here on in, it is all business. somehow that sours the nature of the game for me. Praying for the kids to live to full potential is what I'll be doing.
    Well said.

get the dough and stay healthy boys....it's not Spokane anymore...good luck